As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Summer 2008 Animu Thread - NO MORE AMV'S DAMMIT

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And awesome.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And awesome.

That goes without saying, though.
    Wish there was more to the Claire/Graham fight, but all the same, great ending episode

Jragghen on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    And awesome.

Wish there was more to the Claire/Graham fight, but all the same, great ending episode
    Yeah, was a good ending. Clare vaguely annoyed me during the main episodes (my main thought when he did his big speech on top of the train was "oh god, he's a solipsist"), but his rambling at Rachel was pretty priceless.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    Furu wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    ZKC 9 was hilarious and awesome.

That is all.

ZA ADULTO!
    Cantido wrote: »
    Falx wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Dammit, The Tower of Druaga turned all serious business on me in episode 9.
    Don't worry, it's all Kally's fault. He was probably secretly getting married.

Man I wish I they would release more episodes already... I can't watch the damned thing on youtube and it's pissing me off.

Is that a studio officially Youtubing the episodes eith subs? I actually find that idea impressive. I don't watch much animes though.

It'd be more impressive if they were making shows that people wanted to watch. ^^

And by "people", you mean "you", the only person that counts in any of your statements.

At best, they're doing it with one decidedly mediocre show that wouldn't even be a footnote in a normal season, and one show that is so godawful that I'm imagining most people have already forgotten that it exists.

I applaud their marketing strategy. If you can't make a good show, may as well make an accessible show, but I fail to see how this is going to end in profit for them.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    And awesome.

Yeah, was a good ending. Clare vaguely annoyed me during the main episodes (my main thought when he did his big speech on top of the train was "oh god, he's a solipsist"), but his rambling at Rachel was pretty priceless.
    I loved Claire during the normal series from pretty much when he asked Rachel for her ticket onwards

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kurenai 9
    Ouch, that was one punch to the gut. It's a shame Shinkurou decided not to use the horn-on the whole it was an incredibly depressing episode.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think Vampire Knight is pretty awesome so far... of course I got into reading the manga for it as well, so I know the series is just going to keep getting more awesome, if they keep to the manga... which they have so far.

Aurin on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In One Piece is the arc
    right after Franky joins the crew and the family is trying to get the bounties and their flag
    filler? I'm a few episodes in and it's striking me as pretty dumb, and I'd rather just skip it if nothing important happens.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Smasher wrote: »
    In One Piece is the arc
    right after Franky joins the crew and the family is trying to get the bounties and their flag
    filler? I'm a few episodes in and it's striking me as pretty dumb, and I'd rather just skip it if nothing important happens.

Yep. That bit's filler, but the only filler in that stretch. Canon starts again in episode 337.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Smasher wrote: »
    In One Piece is the arc

Yep. That bit's filler, but the only filler in that stretch. Canon starts again in episode 337.

Sweet, thanks.

Smasher on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    anyone have good recommendations for good mystery anime? My favorites so far have been Stand Alone Complex and Death Note.

I seem to remember people pointing me in the direction of monster before, is that a safe bet?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So guys do you know what was released just yesterday.

If you guessed Baccano! 16, you guessed right.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ergandar wrote: »
    Kurenai 9
    Ouch, that was one punch to the gut. It's a shame Shinkurou decided not to use the horn-on the whole it was an incredibly depressing episode.
    I'm going to be pissed if it doesn't have a happy ending. I've hyped the hell out of it to my friends as a feelgood series...

Falx on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    anyone have good recommendations for good mystery anime? My favorites so far have been Stand Alone Complex and Death Note.

I seem to remember people pointing me in the direction of monster before, is that a safe bet?

Monster is pretty crazy good, but it's a bit long (74 episodes).

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Would Dennou Coil count as a mystery anime? If not I'm recommending it anyway.

Falx on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I intended to watch only one episode of "Daughter of Twenty Faces" but was so engrossed by the end of the first one that I went ahead and watch all six episodes. Hot damn, is this show amazing. I thought Chiko would be moe material at first but to my delight, the show quickly proved me wrong. A refreshing change of pace.

I totally did not see episode 6 coming. I seriously thought that
    no one important would die since they already built up the characters for 5 episodes.
    Boy was I wrong. Though thanks to the spoiler opening, it looks like
    Ken survives, complete with a badass eyepatch.
    Lord knows where they'll take the show from here, but I guess the ending theme (which looks like it's from an entirely different show) is a hint.

Coincidentally, this and Baccano! make two shows I've recently watched that are set in the 20's/30's with a jazzy soundtrack. Heh, both of them even have a band of good-natured thieves.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    darksteel wrote: »
    Coincidentally, this and Baccano! make two shows I've recently watched that are set in the 20's/30's with a jazzy soundtrack. Heh, both of them even have a band of good-natured thieves.
    had a band of good natured thrives

Nice having something to look forward too. Bones does some good work from time to time.

Denno Coil is mystery if GitS is. Monster is very long. Some of the chracter art is not very attractive, and the ex-wife gets entirely too much screen time. Quite good though.

You know, Monono-ke is mystery, and it is just fantastic. The last bit of Ayakashi is the same thing, so it's worth looking up, though it is slightly less visually stunning.

Shion no Ou is a damn near shonnen sports(shogi--Japanese chess) anime, wrapped in with a murder mystery involving a kid that stopped talking. Very odd. I do not understand why I am watching it avidly.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know if I'd qualify Mushishi as a mystery anime, but it's very, very good and really makes you think.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've actually had my eye on Mushishi, and it seems to be pretty easy to get a hold of over here.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've actually had my eye on Mushishi, and it seems to be pretty easy to get a hold of over here.

Do it! You'll thank yourself. It's on my and several other's list of favourite anime.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Monster felt like it could have gone without twenty or so episodes and still told the same story. When it's on, though, it's on.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've got a confession to make. I cheered
    when nearly every one of Chiko's merry band of thieves got killed. They were way too cheery and one dimensional for me.
    There is a line for me, between kindness and the absurd, which must not be crossed.

I'm concerned about the status of my soul.

[Edit] Yes, sorry, apologies all around.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    US Death Note remake in development.

I'm not a huge fan of the Death Note series, but I'm curious how it turns out. (At least it'll be easier to pull off then a Live Action Dragonball movie.)

Comment section led to an interesting site.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Could be an interesting movie. At the same time, the chances of it failing hard are just as high.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hopefully, Dexter's popularity will keep them from neutering things too much.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bad Kitty wrote: »

Do it! You'll thank yourself. It's on my and several other's list of favourite anime.

It's a show you can just sit, watch and relax to it while also being interested in the actual goings on. Amazing show.

I just went through Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori again because of the season 3 announcement. Man do some characters just get the shaft. Good people and bad ends. The whole damn Jigoku Tsuushin system needs a damn filter. By the end of Futakomori people are just sending each other to hell left and right while blaming it on one of the few good people in the series.

I need that season 3 like now. I want to see the Shibatas again (as well as Ai's helpers and the remaining cast at the end) and I wonder who's manning the Jigoku Tsuushin now after the events of Futakomori.

Joule on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just watched Kurenai 9.
    God fucking dammit you stupid jobber use the fucking horn of bullet deflection fuck. Also what the hell happened to your super pain-resilience, you took knife wounds and severe blunt trauma to the head before no problem, now you can be held down by one high-heeled foot and a couple bruises? You want to not rely on the horn, yeah, but isn't this the one fucking time you need to use it? Just this fucking once? Fuck.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Jesuits wrote: »
    Just watched Kurenai 9.
    God fucking dammit you stupid jobber use the fucking horn of bullet deflection fuck. Also what the hell happened to your super pain-resilience, you took knife wounds and severe blunt trauma to the head before no problem, now you can be held down by one high-heeled foot and a couple bruises? You want to not rely on the horn, yeah, but isn't this the one fucking time you need to use it? Just this fucking once? Fuck.

I know dude... there's only three episodes left, though, so I'm going to stick it out in the hope that this will not crush my will to live.

Edit: Also, looks like gg, who took over Macross F from gattai, is also speedsubbing the hell out of Soul Eater. Next one is out already.

Falx on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Not a bad ending at all.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Not a bad ending at all.

I think it's one of the better ones I've seen in anime, actually. Conclusive, yet open for more story expansion. Sad to see the show go. It had one of the most varied cast of characters I've seen and it was a pleasure to watch them act.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    some guy over at the SA ADTRW forum made this little gem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ16jHTiQMk

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Darn, gg doing Soul Eater was a one off thing... too bad they did a nice job!

Falx on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    some guy over at the SA ADTRW forum made this little gem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ16jHTiQMk

This was fantastic. All it really needs are the captions and it'll be an entirely different show. It does a good job of making Macross Frontier look more serious than it actually is. Amazing how an opening credits sequence can do that, eh?

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I said it before, it was only a manner of time.....
    American Death Note Movie In Development
    June 3rd, 2008 by John

Universal Pictures has revealed that Vertigo Entertainment (not “Vertigo Films,” which is an unrelated film production company) is developing an American live action film adaptation of Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata’s supernatural suspense manga story Death Note. The Death Note franchise has already spawned three live action films in Japan. Brothers Vlas and Charles Parlapanides have been hired to construct a screenplay for an American Death Note feature.

Johnny Depp: L. I can't see anyone else doing him justice.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No, no, a thousand times no.

They have to cast someone younger.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's how I felt too, but I really don't know anyone who can pull of an eccentric Tim Burtonesque character with a ton of little quirks and gestures. Depp can do that type of character in his sleep.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Cillian Murphy would be a better choice IMO and that's just off the top of my head.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's one point (well, actually a few interconnected points) that concerns me about a US-centric version of Death Note - mainly, there's a pretty complex play between the US and Japan in the original source material, and I don't know how well it would translate if the sides are reversed. For instance, there was a pretty important point about the instructions Ryuk wrote being in English (it was a pretty subtle way for Ryuk to poke a hole in Light's ego early on) that really just wont work if the adaptation is set in the US.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    ... what? Was that even supposed to make sense?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    ... what? Was that even supposed to make sense?

The point being that Ryuk dropped a book with instructions in English into Japan, which meant that Light, being the genius he was, was one of the few people who could have deciphered it, even if others had picked it up. It's really not all that important.

The US/Japan interplay is a decent point, however.

Jragghen on
This discussion has been closed.