As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blast Works: Price Drop! Back to $20, Losers!

2»

• Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Finally found a copy at EBstop so I'll have to try it out soon as my roomate buggers off.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    This game went from "Oh, that sounds dope," to "BUY NOW!!!" as soon as I read rROOTAGE.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just a slight bump - if you buy this at Circuit City, you get a $10 gift card. That swayed me from a "wait til first price drop" to "buy now". Haven't played it yet though.

BTW, there's actually some quite solid custom work already available.

http://blastworksdepot.com/games/blastworks/1485
    http://blastworksdepot.com/games/blastworks/963

And just because it is ridiculous...

http://blastworksdepot.com/games/blastworks/1151

KMGor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Kotaku put up a review of it: http://kotaku.com/5016756/blast-works-review-build-trade-and-destroy

I've been too busy / drunk to get much time in, maybe tonight...

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    Akito01Akito01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just recently posted my first creations to the depot: the level 'Invaders!', and the Base Ship to go with it. In truth, it could have used some more time in the oven, but I was anxious to get something up there, and I think it works well enough.

Someone posted a crazy test level for Green Hill Zone. One of the most interesting aspects of it was a clever power-up mechanic, that I've adopted for use in my R-Type based level. Like the original game, you blast a white walker-pod to release an invincible force pod you have to catch and fuse onto your ship.

Akito01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just saw a banner ad for this on a website, and remembered seeing this thread and never actually looking to see what the hell the game was about... But damnit, now I'm interested. Though I was already planning on picking up the Spore Creature Creator and Space Invaders Extreme tomorrow.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Someone needs to make a flying Tycho vs. an evil Gabe.

or vice versa.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I'm considering picking this up.

Anybody who has this, can you attest to cool stuff you have made, or things you've unlocked, or basically anything besides videos and reviews that are already out there? It sure looks neat.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Just FYI, this is $20 now at Gamestop B&M and online: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=14369

So uh... get it.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    *insert Gurren Lagann reference here*

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

Now there's absolutely no excuse not to buy this.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wish I had a wii now.

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kind of depressing that it only took a month for it to drop from $40 down to $10.

On the other hand, I'm about to grab it from best buy's website before I take my Monday-morning nap.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Been wanting to pick this up for quite some time. Now that it's 10 bucks, I may just do that. Just been super broke as of late.

:(

Sheep on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bought'd like a... A... I've got nothing.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dammit it all. sold out on line. epic fail.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bestbuy's website shows... $19.99...

so what's this $10 business all about?

slash000 on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It was listed at $9.99 this morning. I ordered through in-store pickup so we'll see if I get fucked over when I go to get it after work.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Went down to Best Buy, the price was listed as 9.99. Took it to the reg, it rang up as 19.99. Told the cashier it was listed as 9.99. He dissappeared for a very long time, came back and change the sale price to 9.99. :)

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ha, I just got this off of goozex, guess I payed out a bit too many points if it really only costs 10 bucks. Oh well. Gonna go see how it is now.

edit: glorious, fucking glorious.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ok, more thoughts on it:

-soundtrack is pretty damn good, various quality electronica tracks
    -bullets don't really go in static patterns - you have to be adaptive and on your toes.
    -the ability to add ships to yours creates an interesting approach - usually you want to hide your add-ons til you've killed new ships, then assimilate. However, you have to recognize when to use your ships as shields and just bull through.
    -normal difficulty is hard. The mix of aggressive bullet patterns, need to save ships, and enemy patterns built around using your defense makes for a changing fight that is pretty unique.
    -game allows for up to 4 players, haven't tried this out, though.
    -editor mode has massive potential and is intimidating. Hold me.

One of the coolest things about adding defeated ships is that you essentially become a boss. You are the bullet hell, at least until you get to the boss and it rips your add-ons off like a hooker's clothes. Playing on easy, I got my collection so massive that it filled the screen, killing and assimilating any new enemies before they could fire and do damage. Then I rammed the entire thing into the boss.

The main ship and its hitbox are pretty big, which can be frustrating. You really have to keep up with the game, as often ships will pass you and loop around, or fire bullets backwards. A lot of times I'll die trying to hide all my ships as a big wave comes at me - it's an interesting toss-up.

If this is really still $10, and can be found, there's no excuse not to get this. Definitely one of my favourite wii titles.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bump for question time!

I'm slowly trying to wrap my head around the editor. I've made one enemy, and I'm now just trying to create the simplest of levels by taking the default that's already given to me and simply having this one enemy I've made as the end-boss.

The problem is that every time I try to give my created enemy a pre-made movement, it just kinda flies off the screen and never returns. If I don't give it a movement, the level ends before I can shoot it down.

It's probably because I'm only using the basic editor for now, but if anyone knows how to properly do what I'm trying, please help me out.

Thanks.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This game needs bumping just for attention. I can't understand why this didn't get more attention.

Buuut, I definitely can't help you with the editor. I was way too overwhelmed by the choices to do anything with it besides make a flying unicorn head that shot massive amounts of death from its horn.

Oh, and the multiplayer is crazy. Half the time you can tell where you are, then you're competing with them to grab all the ship parts and using your armour to switch off blocking. Good times.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh come on. No one knows the editor enough to help me out? Someone? Anyone? Bueller?

And while I'm here, do you have anything that you've submitted to the Blast Works Depot? Or is there something PA specific for everyone (kinda like how we had "Wang Camaro" for Guitar Hero 3)?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    seriously, everyone seems to be hellbent on ignoring this game

METAzraeL on

• Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When it comes out in Europe, I'll buy it
    maybe

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kouri1977kouri1977 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is it out in Japan?

kouri1977 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just can't see why LBP exploded wheras this game went straight to the bargain bin. Ah well.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ArcticXC wrote: »
    I just can't see why LBP exploded wheras this game went straight to the bargain bin. Ah well.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hype

(Note: I haven't played either game but I'm always seeing Blast Works randomly in a Target store or something so I might get it eventually)

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sorry for the bump, but I'm hoping by now that those of you that own the game have had some experience with the editors and can give me a little bit of help.

After playing this game a little bit, mostly on and off, I finally made a level! Well....I'm making a level, anyway. It's not finalized, but there's enough to it to put it up on the Blast Works Depot for others to try out. It's a Guitar Hero themed level called "Blast Hero". You can download the latest version of it (only the second version, really) from this link. The ship meant for this level is a guitar pick, and you can get it here. Let me know what you think of it.

Basically, I'm going for the Guitar Hero look while also feeling like a SHMUP. The regular gems are enemies, star power gems as shields/weapon power-ups, and HOPO gems as indestructible objects. If I can figure it out, I'll make the sound of each gem being destroyed sound differently so that it'll somewhat sound like a song.

There's just a couple of things bothering me with the way I have it right now.

- The game is supposed to be entirely vertical, and the Blast Hero logo is supposed to be dead center. But sometimes while I add stuff and save, the screen doesn't scroll properly and the logo (and hence everything else) appears too far to the right. Anyone know how to make sure it doesn't do this?

- I really want to make an end boss for this level, but I have no idea how to set this up. Can anyone give me some tips?

- Finally, and not really a problem, the gems rotate. I don't know why they rotate. I don't know how to switch it from "no movement" and then put it back to rotate. Someone fill me in on how this is done, please.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm gonna check it out at some point. :|

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm glad to see you kept going with the editor, BTP :^: I think if more than 10 people had bought this around here you might have some hope for input...

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    I'm glad to see you kept going with the editor, BTP :^: I think if more than 10 people had bought this around here you might have some hope for input...

To be honest, I didn't really get back into Blast Works until I had to hook up the Wii in a way that is not at all great for playing Guitar Hero Metallica. Since I couldn't (and still can't) play that for a while, I went back into Blast Works. I guess my desire for something Guitar Hero at the time came out in my creating "Blast Hero".

It makes me wonder what the people at Budcat think of it, since they're involved with both Guitar Hero and Blast Works.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Haha, I think that sort of fixation makes it more entertaining.

METAzraeL on