As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Favorite Martian (NSF56K)

JordynJordyn Really, Commander?Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Graphic Violence
Well, I knew it was coming but it doesn't make it any less upsetting. Still, in the wake of what happened in Final Crisis, I've dove right back into all my favorite Martian Manhunter stories. And I decided that we should all take a moment to look back on how just how goddamn awesome J'onn could be.

He was always a member of the JLA, but his only solo series came in 1998 and ran for three years. It was pretty awesome though.

J'onn has been my favorite character for sometime now. I'm not really sure when it happened because it used to be Flash, but somewhere along the way I realized that J'onn had surpassed him. It's also my birthday this week, so happy birthday to me.

I have officially started rambling so let's just get to some stuff to look at.

He kicks some ass here.
JLAY101.jpg
JLAY102.jpg

This guy has the right idea
MMSurrender.jpg

Ultraman does not
Earth2MM.jpg

Hahaha, oh J'onn
MMAutopilot.jpg

One of J'onn's secret identities is a cat.
MMMartianKitty.jpg

On the first episode of Justice League, he fucks up the Imperium
JonnImperium.jpg

And he's totally awesome in this scene. I watch this whole episode just for this scene sometimes.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HWqqvYo61MA

Look at us
jonnandme.jpg

awwwwww

ok, I'll be back in a bit. Let's not complain about what happened to him, let's talk about how awesome he was. Or I'll just tell you guys a bunch of stuff because you might not realize all the awesome stuff about him.

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
Jordyn on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really like Martian Manhunter too. I got the 12 issue limited run that they did last year, and I was honestly hoping that the run would spark enough interest that they'd give him his own book again, but alas, it was not to be.

Among my favorite MM stories is New Frontier. I love what Darwyn Cooke did with the character. His early scenes with Batman are pretty cool, and I love his interplay with Faraday.

Overall, he's got the potential to be the 2nd most powerful person in the JLA. Its too bad most writers don't know what to do with him. I'd love to see Geof Johns or Grant Morrison take a whack at him. If anyone could bring some long-term revival to the character, they could.

Lucascraft on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Morrison already took a whack at him

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is one of my favorite scans from his solo series:

MMThrewintosun.jpg

I also really like when J'onn is just wearing his little short thingies.

JLAClassifiedJonnShorts.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's one of my favorite J'onn moments. Cameron Chase of the DEO visits Fire in Portugal to gather information on J'onn. Surprisingly, Fire's not too keen on her old friend and teammate.

MM1.jpg
    MM2.jpg

MM3.jpg

MM4.jpg

MM5.jpg

But I wouldn't worry about J'onny. After all, he's still got a destiny to fulfill.

MM2-1.jpg

MM2-3.jpg
    MM2-4.jpg

MM2-5.jpg

And even though it takes him a million years--

MM2-6.jpg

--he finally gets it.

MM2-7.jpg

Munch on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Never was a big J'onn fan. It was more the way he was written than anything wrong with the character. Despite being nearly equal to Superman in terms of raw strength, he's intangible, shapeshifting, invisible and telepathic. He's practically godmode and he's been treated as the permanent Watchtower monitor duty bitch and like a second class citizen.

Who saves the day 99% of the time? Batman or Superman and the rest is dedicated to Wonder Woman, GL or Flash. J'onn almost always gets a little fire near him or a telepathic attack or some other cliche'd attack that eliminates him from the battle. He's the Sentry of the DCU. He shows up everywhere and is all powerful, but heaven forbid he does anything or is shown to be as powerful as he is supposed to.

Hell, even in Kingdom Come he was tossed to the sdie with some mental breakdown. At least they gave himcredit for his godlike powers.

So, while I laugh at his random Oreo joke scenes every once in a while, I've never found a reason to actually care about the character with how he's treated by DC editorial.

Again, shame to see him die in such an undignified way, but there's lots of wiggle room to bring him back, so hopefully he isn't gone too long.

KVW on
    edited June 2008
    I really liked in the future where he becomes a part of Mars. It seemed like the absolute best ending for him.

In Japan, J'onn was a star of a manga which called him the Jade Warrior.
    MMJadeWarrior.jpg

It was a little annoying that other people often got to be the ones saving the day in JLA, and I'm sorry you apparently never read his solo series, K, because obviously he does most of the day-saving in there. A lot of writers tend to show J'onn's strength by making him fight the rest of the league via someone controlling his mind. "Oh look at how much of the league he can take out."

I think if I were to pick someone to write a new J'onn solo series it would be Mark Waid. He's the most knowledgeable writer I've ever seen. Like a goddamn encyclopedia. And the times he's written the character already (JLA Year One, Terror Incognita) have all been satisfying to me.

Anyway, more stuff

MMThinksonfire.jpg

JLIJonnLeader.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was going to yell at you for not posting the JLI moment but then you did

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2008
    I scanned a lot of stuff. I'm kind of trying to spread it out. A little bit.

I was trying to scan some showcase stuff but it's kind of hard to get a scan of any frame that's close to the inside seam.

I did get a scan of the dog that was following him around in one issue:

ShowcaseJupiter.jpg

He got hired onto the force pretty quick:

ShowcaseAwayfromFire.jpg

Almost every story ends with some silly wink at the reader moment:

ShowcaseImagineMartians.jpg

J'onn got assigned a lot of arson cases, and everyone was smoking all the time. He once volunteered to be the stuntman in a friend's movie, only to find the movie was about a firefighter. One time he got hit on the head and forgot he was the Martian Manhunter, discovered he had powers, took a bunch of pictures of himself using his powers and was going to go show them to the Chief, but got hit on the head again on the way there and remembered everything. I love the Showcase book. It's amazing.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    well hell. someone tell me what happens to jonn, because i'm not reading the books right now.

also, new frontier martian manhunter is my absolute favorite dc character.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    well hell. someone tell me what happens to jonn, because i'm not reading the books right now.

this new cat libra ambushed j'onn, captured him, and apparently killed him in a sort of the hood-esque bid for control of the secret society.

though i remain a little doubtful that it's so easy to kill a shapeshifter just by stabbing him.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Servo wrote: »

this new cat libra ambushed j'onn, captured him, and apparently killed him in a sort of the hood-esque bid for control of the secret society.

though i remain a little doubtful that it's so easy to kill a shapeshifter just by stabbing him.

agreed.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

agreed.

You forget
    Libra didn't just stab him.

He stabbed him with fire.

But yeah, y'know... comics.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited June 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »

agreed.

You forget
    Libra didn't just stab him.

He stabbed him with fire.

But yeah, y'know... comics.
    j'onn's come back from worse than that much fire. i mean, who knows, maybe he's dead. i'm just saying i think it would take more work than that to kill someone who can basically function as a liquid

that said, i'm sure someone will eventually post it, but the bit where crazy monster j'onn is chasing blue beetle and booster gold and max lord gets a huge nosebleed trying to make a guy ignore it, that bit makes me laugh every time i see it

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2008
    MM01.jpg
    MM02.jpg

MM24ChocosJunkie.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited June 2008
    that's the one all right

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's utterly hilarious.

devoir on
    edited June 2008
    jordynssecret2.png

MM24SmallProblem.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jordyn wrote: »
    jordynssecret2.png

o_O

I am both scared and intrigued by the fact that the URL for that image has a two on the end, indicating that there is a preceding image.
    MM24SmallProblem.jpg

Cookies are joy. :D

devoir on
    edited June 2008
    I didn't draw it, Arsenic did. The first take was about Batman. I don't believe I have it uploaded though. I do have this thing Keith drew, since it's appropriate to the thread.

jordyncomicco7.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    god that's so terrible

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    On to more pressing issues, J'onn had an asshole brother back in day, who was responsible for the most heinous of Martian crimes: mind rape. He actually mind raped J'onn's wife on their fucking wedding night, along with several other Martians in the city. J'onn's mother, also a manhunter, went after him and died, but told J'onn to go kick his ass.

MMFindHim.jpg

And fuck yes, he did.
    MMMaleficPage1.jpg
    MMMaleficPage2.jpg

Of course he doesn't kill him there, they wipe his memories and take away his telepathy. Malefic creates the plague that wipes out the Martians and J'onn later throws the fucker into the sun.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited June 2008
    two other points-

"the manhunter from mars" is one of the best superhero by-lines

darkseid is the only comics villain i can really imagine of plausibly condoning like, a rape camp. or in this case, a mind-rape camp.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2008
    God, I could probably post scans and images all night, but how about this last one before bed:

SuperbuddiesControlAntennae.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I can see there being room for him to come back from that in Final Crisis 1. In JLA Classified's first arc, the lead-in to 7S, one of the Ultramarines fought him on a satellite and somehow left him a burning puddle and J'onn was back by the end of the issue. Morrison wrote that.

DouglasDanger on
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've always been a pretty big MM fan, even though I don't follow comics as closely anymore. It's always interested me that he is the quintessential "swiss army knife" superhero, yet he's so underused (possibly because of it). It's way too late for me to post scans, but I'll do so when it's more convenient.

Gigaton on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought J'onn wasn't even vulnerable to normal fire anymore?

Mai-Kero on
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    I thought J'onn wasn't even vulnerable to normal fire anymore?

It's been pretty inconsistent lately and seems to change from writer to writer.

Gigaton on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I can see there being room for him to come back from that in Final Crisis 1. In JLA Classified's first arc, the lead-in to 7S, one of the Ultramarines fought him on a satellite and somehow left him a burning puddle and J'onn was back by the end of the issue. Morrison wrote that.

Morrison really likes the character which makes me think he'll be back. So back. I bet by FC #7.

Furu on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here is a picture of Jonn having a car driven over his ass.

bi5rnl.jpg

Synthetic Orange on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wow, they actually call it mind rape? I thought that was just one of those clever alternate terms people come up with.

Lux on
    edited June 2008
    Furu wrote: »

Morrison really likes the character which makes me think he'll be back. So back. I bet by FC #7.

I've got this all ready.

MMReturns.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited June 2008
    his classic costume is really awkward-looking.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2008
    no it's sexy man, shut up. At least when Alex Ross wasn't drawing him with fucking weird nipples, gah.

the new one was awful though. No one could draw it right or something. He always either looked anorexic or like a skrull.

This is pretty hot too

MMZook.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Now I'm picturing you using that last line in bed. D:

Synthetic Orange on
    edited June 2008
    I have a little stuffed Martian Manhunter we rescued from a vending machine.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My favorite line, from when he was in human shape and suffering temporary amnesia while tied to a chair in a burning building (thus allowing the story to be told in flashback as he remembered what was going on), "I am not a man. I am a Martian. And I hunt men."

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    i don't think his new costume was bad, just what they did with his head

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, his head looked a skrull banana or something.

DouglasDanger on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is my theory as to why MM has never really caught on like most of the other Leaguers (or really all superheroes in genera):

All of the most popular characters are Human, at least in appearance. Its easier for people to accept them because of this. Even some of the non-human characters like Superman and Thor still resemble humans. J'onzz on the other hand is green and depending on which era you're reading, has a funny shaped head. I think its for this reason that he isn't as popular with the mainstream. Its because he's an "outsider."

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2008
    he was only in like two issues of outsiders!

Garlic Bread on