As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resolve/re-route DNS locally?

MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
As far as Windows XP is concerned what is someone's options as far as manually pointing certain names to IPs? I have a friend who's having trouble accessing a message board of mine that's hosted on an InvisionFree server (http://z6.invisionfree.com/) and it doesn't seem like editing the HOSTS file will work to a proper extent.

So my questions are:

-What alternatives are there to the HOSTS file for manually defining DNS addresses and getting this to work properly with the invisionfree subdomains?
-What's the proper way to use the HOSTS file if I'm missing something (right now I just have it routing a host name to "209.85.48.3")?

e3ORbfq.png
Mugenmidget on

• Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The entry in your host file should read like:

127.0.0.1 www.website.com

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah and I've got it pointing to somewhere but it doesn't seem to work properly since the forum doesn't resolve links correctly and sometimes I just get pages like "congrats Apache is installed".

Right now the exact entry is:

209.85.48.3 z6.invisionfree.com

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Telling your friend to use a real DNS server instead of the (most likely) junk that his ISP provides is one option... (OpenDNS, 4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.4, run own DNS servers,etc.)

But if the hosts file trick doesn't work... this likely won't either.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream