Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Man-of-War related games

MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
So sometimes I get into ye old sailing ships. The epic ship on ship actions that took place and the large fleet battles. However, I don't know of any good games that present this. I remember playing a History Channel demo called Horatio's Revenge or something, where you commanded various ships from a first person perspective. It wasn't all that great, but it was something I had never seen before and havn't seen since.

So, G&T, are you aware of any Age of Sail sim games that can satiate my hunger for boarding actions and grapeshot? Or am I doomed to recreate battles with my lego ships?

MalaysianShrew on
Never trust a big butt and a smile.

• cjeriscjeris Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Can't give much for computer games, but I can recommend a couple of board games:

The classic board game of Age of Sail combat is Avalon Hill's Wooden Ships & Iron Men (1975), which was converted into an apparently mediocre PC game in 1996.

More recent games are Close Action from Clash of Arms Games (1997) and Flying Colors from GMT (2005).

sig.gif
  • zilozilo Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Bethesda (the Elder Scrolls people) did a game called Sea Dogs a few years back. It wasn't bad. There's also Sid Meier's Pirates!, which was given a recent remake and is great fun.

Also for a brief moment I thought this thread was going to be about a new He-Man game and got really excited.

• KartanKartan Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Well, there is Empire: total war wich will have fleet battles, and then there is Imperial glory which already has (but rather small ones).

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fail! There are a bunch of games like what you want, and a big series, in fact.
    zilo wrote: »
    Bethesda (the Elder Scrolls people) did a game called Sea Dogs a few years back. It wasn't bad. There's also Sid Meier's Pirates!, which was given a recent remake and is great fun.

Also for a brief moment I thought this thread was going to be about a new He-Man game and got really excited.

Bethesda merely published it. Sea Dogs and the number of games following it are Russian made. They're huge there, and the franchise is actually called Corsairs. Sea Dogs, or Corsairs, came first, followed by Pirates of the Caribbean (Corsairs 2). There have been countless expansion packs and stand-alone expansion packs and mods that never arrived in the United States or elsewhere. We're actually missing out on so much content, most of which is really impressive, it is beyond ridiculous.

The actual Corsairs 3 was released out of Russia as Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales. It's a lot of fun and it's visually impressive [at sea]. Although the new engine and interface are a big improvement, feature wise it's lacking from previous games. Naturally, expansion packs and the massive mods came out in Russia, but we never got any of those. There was little to no land exploration to be had, aside from towns.

It's definitely worth checking out, however. You can trade and do random side missions and pirating to your hearts content. Sign on with the Dutch or French or English or Spanish or pirates, if you so wish, and terrorize the sea or set out to make your faction better than the others. You can attack towns, and even govern them. These towns can even be improved. I don't believe you can govern them, however, unless your faction gives you the order to take it.

Pirates of the Caribbean has a huge mod for it made by non-Russian players that's still being heavily worked on even today. Some of the new content can be quite buggy, though, but it does add an absolutely huge amount. I can't stand the interface and world map in comparison to Age of Pirates, as they're just plain ugly, so you have to decide what you want. A much more visually pleasing game with a better and more interesting interface and world map, easier to get into and make a fortune, or a more feature rich experience in a less user-friendly game with a very dated interface and engine.

There's another game coming out, however, and it looks to have everything we missed out on. The big mod team in Russia was made into an actual development house, and they're the ones crafting Corsairs 4, or as we know it, City of Abandoned Ships. It has been out in Russia for some time, and the US release date says Q2 2008, so it's possible we could see it in June. It looks and sounds fantastic, as a fan of the series, with huge land sections to explore. You can even dive under the water to explore sunken ships and ruins for treasure. There are multiple characters to choose from with multiple stories and paths to take.

Here's the RPG Vault interview:
    Spoiler:

I hope that got you interested. They're not the perfect games, however, and they can have a lot of bugs, but they're fantastic high sea adventure games which can be quite addictive. If you have some patience, City of Abandoned Ships should hopefully be out soon. It'll be the most feature rich Corsairs game released in the United States yet, as we're actually going to be getting features we've been missing out on from Russia only expansion packs and mods.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis

steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pirates of the Burning Sea is probably a good bet.

A sub-par MMO? No. The only cool thing was the character customization and nothing else.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis

steam_sig.png
  • CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What's the realistic extent of these games, particularly the ones Dashui listed? My dad loves the Age of Sail; he's read every Patrick O'Brien book nearly four times over by now. Would any of these games appeal to him, someone interested in the nitty-gritty realism of the era? He's not a gamer by any means, so it'd have to be something decently slow-paced or even turn-based. A game like Pirates! wouldn't appeal to him either I wouldn't imagine, as he's not interested in the larger game mechanics. Is there anything that's very naval-orientated, that he'd be able to get into and enjoy?

PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you want to move past the age of sail, there's always Fighting Steel.

5gsowHm.png
  • smokealbertsmokealbert Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Worse than that I thought it was a thread for Manowar related games D:

NSFAnyone:
    Spoiler:

Xbox GT: Smokealbert
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Worse than that I thought it was a thread for Manowar related games D:

NSFAnyone:
    Spoiler:

Don't feel bad, I thought the same thing.

I'm really looking forward to the new Akella game that Dashui mentioned.

camo_sig2.png
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Man, thread does not deliver Brothers of Metal.

Dashui's post is actually kind of exciting.