As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ants! They're in my bed!

mimizumimizu Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
A freaking ant highway appered in my room today! I have a 'mostly' patched hole in my wall, and now ants decided to come and in through it, and make a path that goes RIGHT THROUGH THE FUCKING MIDDLE OF MY BED. I have an mostly impenateble circle of peppermint oil around the hole, but I'm out of peppermint oil now. I don't want anything I'd have to wash my hands after useing, like poison spray and shit. Last I checked, they haden't breached the oil yet, but the remaning ones in my room (there are a lot) are still making lines, and are starting to spread out. I'm not sure if the wall-hole was the entrance or not, but I haven't found any other ends, which is whats worring me. I have a... messy room, so they might be making a nest. So KiTA, if I find a queen, i'll tell you. What the fuck else works as well as peppermint oil? Also, I have no idea where to buy more peppermint oil.

mimizu on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    why don't you want to chemical death them?

1) Patch up hole
    2) kill ants
    3) Wash your sheets
    4) Clean your room

really though, just trying to keep the ants out isn't going to work if you're making an ant-friendly environment for them. Clean your room

Raneados on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I second this. Ants are tenacious bastards. Kill the shit out of them with chemicals. Otherwise they'll just keep spreading.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is the kind of thread I like to see. Raid country scent for ants and roaches. Death to all tiny crawlies.

That said you might be borked for the sheets. go through your room real fast and make sure you did not leave any food or plates and then make slumber buddies with your new ant overlords. Or just change the sheets and get rid of most of them.

Chances are they are not going to hurt you. Just crawl on you. But if you are like me...You might not sleep too well tonight.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Talc (baby powder) makes an effective ant barrier. Dunno why they hate the stuff so much, but they do. You'll still have to kill the existing population, though.

Fats on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The only thing that's worked for me in this situation is the "ant-motel" style traps. Basically it's a little plastic enclosure that you place near where the ants are coming in. It's got some stuff in there that's poisonous to the ants but oh-so-tasty so they bring it back to their buddies at home (including the queen). Once they all drink the kool aid then problem solved.

also, clean up.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I alreadly warshed the sheets, and I don't eat in my room. I slept on the sofa last night. I've tried the poison motels before, they do nothing. The ants actully avoid them. I put them about an inch from the trail, and when I come back, they've moved the trail to arc past the trap. And I can't use powder, the hole is 3 feet high on a wall. I need something liquid. there is a plastic plug on the hole, but these are the tiny city ants, not our regular gaint forest ants. We have a lot of pets in our house, and I'm usely in my bedroom almost 12 hours a day.

mimizu on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You said you used "Ant Motels" but have you used these?
    72197_grants_indoor_outdoor.jpg

Stick one just inside the hole they are entering from and maybe one or two outside(if possible) and the ants will go away within a couple days. After that you probably should get that hole patched up completely or else you'll eventually get more ants, or something worse.

Edit: Just noticed you said you had pets. Make sure you keep them away from the ant stakes cause they'll make even large dogs quite sick if they get into them.

Last Son on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    mimizu wrote: »
    I alreadly warshed the sheets, and I don't eat in my room. I slept on the sofa last night. I've tried the poison motels before, they do nothing. The ants actully avoid them. I put them about an inch from the trail, and when I come back, they've moved the trail to arc past the trap. And I can't use powder, the hole is 3 feet high on a wall. I need something liquid. there is a plastic plug on the hole, but these are the tiny city ants, not our regular gaint forest ants. We have a lot of pets in our house, and I'm usely in my bedroom almost 12 hours a day.

Well first of all buy some caulk/foam/etc type stuff and plug the hole, they're just coming in because it's a wonderful new land to explore

I've heard that you actually don't want to drop that right on the trail, because they're wary of something new being dropped on their trail... they kind of need to explore and find it to want to eat it

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    RictusRictus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SimpsonsHailAnts.jpg

???

Rictus on
    Chimpy-1.jpg
  • Options
    RictusRictus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rictus wrote: »
    SimpsonsHailAnts.jpg

???

Seriously though, invest in some Ant Sand, (though I'm not sure If they are available outside Australia?) It fits into cracks and crevices like in between pavers in a yard. But you have to be careful with pets and whatnot.

Uh heres a site if your interested

http://www.mortein.com.au/product_antsand.php

Rictus on
    Chimpy-1.jpg
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Depending on how big the hole is and how cheap you are you can just clog it with something like bluetack. We had ants getting into our kitchen through a small hole so to stop the stream i just plugged it with a lump of bluetack for a temporary measure, but it worked so well I ended up leaving it there.
    Also talc can be tossed on the wall around the hole, it's usually good enough.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I've pacthed the hole with clay, and I can't use any powdered crap! it's in the middle of a wall! they don't even touch the floor. Blocked from their allies, they huddle in fear as the night approaches. When they are close, then the vinagar rains come.

mimizu on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    SimpsonsHailAnts.jpg

???

Seriously though, invest in some Ant Sand, (though I'm not sure If they are available outside Australia?) It fits into cracks and crevices like in between pavers in a yard. But you have to be careful with pets and whatnot.

Uh heres a site if your interested

http://www.mortein.com.au/product_antsand.php

'available for sale in Australia only'

mimizu on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Get the hole completely patched, clean up your room a bit, wash sheets and whilst they're washing, bug-bomb the shit out of your room. I swear by bug bombing. Kills *everything*.

An-D on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I have won the war!

turns out, Fats' baby power (they moved to the window sill) and clay around the hole worked ^0^

mimizu on