Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Vanguard] SNEAK IS GONE SO THIS GAME IS DEAD.

• CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Crap, I guess I should have read the comments... Oh well, still was only 15 bucks.
    Free game is still free (assuming $15 monthy fees)

0liDg.png
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Woah woah woah, they were talking about how customization was one of their main selling points in the vid I watched. Why are they backpaddling here? If a free game* can provide a char customization that puts Oblivion to shame then I don't get why other games can't.
    *Perfect World
    I'm assuming because they want to make the customization more robust and the current design painted them into a corner. Also, the least said about Oblivion's "how to make your character look more mongoloid with each drag" sliders the better.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    starting massive patching process now, maybe see you sometime tonight

edit: 5 hours est. to go.

I guess this is what happens when you patch from original launch cd's

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    lol, so wich one of you has the 13 bard named cachan ? :D anyways, yeah Like i said they cut back n the custimization untell they could impliment something that wont completely destroy your computer :D Wich is what was happening to alot of people.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    More people need to look at Perfect World and do it like them. *nod nod*

Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Character customization "Oblivion style" is way over-rated in terms of creating a unique character.

In WoW all characters look different unless they are almost exact clones of each other. That's one of the reasons Blizzard has been avoiding "Barber Shop" style modifications for it would allow people to look identical after the fact.

You character weighing 20 pounds more than another character doesn't make them unique, it just sends more un-necessary information to the other clients. Having many more 'realistic' faces, hair styles and skin tones will make character creation more varied than 100 sliders that adjust stupid stuff like nose crookedness, neck length, and other very minute details.

0liDg.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Foomy wrote: »

Heh, I went for the Digital Download. I got about 4 or so hours left now, but its been going at it for about 18+ hours. Weeeee!

edited June 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »

Heh, I went for the Digital Download. I got about 4 or so hours left now, but its been going at it for about 18+ hours. Weeeee!

I thought about the digital download, but than the game is like 18gb so I figured the patch has to be less than that.

2hr 30min to go

• KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

What, make a boring game with an in-depth character creation system?

doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2008
    KingMole wrote: »

It worked for Cryptic. Hey-O! :P

Spoiler:

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    KingMole wrote: »

It worked for Cryptic. Hey-O! :P

Spoiler:

I know I was bored enough to only play the 30 days and then quit. Not because CoX was a bad game, but more because of the forced grouping. Grouping was lots of fun when I could find one, but I went way too long at times having no groups and being utterly bored... to the point it became enough for me to decide against paying for what was otherwise a very entertaining game.

Bringing this around to the topic at hand... how's Vanguard handle grouping? Is it forced or can you solo for the most part and only group for bigger dungeons and bosses?

edited June 2008
    pretty much what you said toxic you can solo to 50 if you want. just avoid all group quests and do all the solo content. but yes, alot of the dungeons are groups only . Most classes can solo 2 dot and 3 dots, with a few that can actualy handle 4dot mobs wich are usualy group only.

Also a feature i forgot to mention was thatthe put brotherhoods in so you can keep up with your friends. it sucks away xps when your solo though, butif you just keep grouping it dums a % of it to your offline members / anyone in the brotherood. Was nice for the short time my necro was in one. but it sucks up xps when your sol

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    holy fuck this got to four pages? wow.

Regicid: Trust me, the Rift Stones only help out a little bit, and cut down on two hour traveling from one continent to another. This is coming from the guy who despises the Plane of Knowledge in EverQuest, and think it was the worst idea in MMO history: the Rift Stones work, and they do nothing but strengthen the community by making it easier to get from Point A leagues away to Point B, while still giving you a lot of traveling time to actually get to a rift stone. It's usually about a ten minute ride from Tursh to the Rift Stone in Three Rivers, or whatever the town is called. Still quite a bit of traveling to do and sights to see.

edited June 2008
    How big are each of the continents anyway? Compared to some other MMOs you might have played.

Oh and I suppose I should ask what server is everyone on? I am about an hour or so away from finishing the update.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, I was watching my Ghostbusters DVDs and just realized that the Ghostbusters 2 DVD has 2 of the cartoon episodes on it. I have had these DVDs for a long, long time. What a happy surprise!

edited June 2008
    combine all contients from Eq2s launch an dyou have Thestra. maybe shve off a few zones fromeq2 but thats just one of the 2 contients in vanguard. Qalia is prlly about 3/4ths the size of thestra. All fo them have content for every level. Kojan got screwed for content but its mainly a newb starting zone, gets you to lvl 20 or so but realy there is no reason to spend that long on kojan.

Essentialy if you chose too, you could go from 1 to 50 without going over the same content. I think from 40 to 50 you miht have to but there are enough places to grind that you dont really have to worry aobut quests.

Seradon is the server we are palying on.

edited June 2008
    So wait, SOE is reactivating old EQ and EQ2 accounts for a month without you having to do anything except log in... are they doing that for Vanguard as well?

edited June 2008
    Goddamn. It seems after the first 18 hours I now have another 40 hours to go. WTF? AoC did not take this long and it was 30 some odd Gigs!

edited June 2008
    You know what? Fuck your h-scrolls.
    Spoiler:

edited June 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    So wait, SOE is reactivating old EQ and EQ2 accounts for a month without you having to do anything except log in... are they doing that for Vanguard as well?

EQ for a month, EQ2 for two months.

I don't think they're doing anything for Vanguard, as this is mostly a thing to build-up in interest in EQ2 before the next expansion is announced.

doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2008
    My shield is so gay. Seriously KingMole, look how gay my shield is.

• RagRag Registered User
    edited June 2008
    It is pretty silly.

• eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Draeven wrote: »
    combine all contients from Eq2s launch an dyou have Thestra. maybe shve off a few zones fromeq2 but thats just one of the 2 contients in vanguard. Qalia is prlly about 3/4ths the size of thestra. All fo them have content for every level. Kojan got screwed for content but its mainly a newb starting zone, gets you to lvl 20 or so but realy there is no reason to spend that long on kojan.

I wish someone would actually do a comparison in square miles of all the major MMOs of the past 10 years. I'm curious how they all stack up. I feel spoiled having Asheron's Call be my first MMO and the world was so well done on it that I've yet to see a game come close to its sense of scale and exploration. Vanguard is the only one I've seen touted as having a massive world and I wonder how it compares.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008

I wish someone would actually do a comparison in square miles of all the major MMOs of the past 10 years. I'm curious how they all stack up. I feel spoiled having Asheron's Call be my first MMO and the world was so well done on it that I've yet to see a game come close to its sense of scale and exploration. Vanguard is the only one I've seen touted as having a massive world and I wonder how it compares.

Less square miles, but a fuck ton more in those square miles than Asheron's Call's sparse landscapes.

edited June 2008
    My shield is so gay. Seriously KingMole, look how gay my shield is.

You could protect your face with it. Maybe.

Less square miles, but a fuck ton more in those square miles than Asheron's Call's sparse landscapes.

I think WWIIOL wins in square miles for MMOs.

doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2008
    I had forgotten how cool the world of this game was.

also they've made a ton of changes to classes it seems, I had like 10-15 new skills on my bard.

now more of you guys needs to come back and play, all the other pa'ers playing atm are like lv.10-15 and i'm lv.42 :(

edited June 2008
    So, all the customization in the world for loli/bishi races, half the customization for generic catgirls (I guess the tacked on ears interfere with the sliders) and no customization for lolfurry races? Horde would be so fucked with this model. :P

edited June 2008
    Jesus Christ, it's like you guys read my post and half way through think "you know, I should probably make a joke about this...now lets read it again and misinterpret in such a way that I can make a joke"

When I say "look at how PW did it" I meant the core system of having 30-something standard faces and a few basic sliders to adjust chest size, eye form etc and for the people who really want to go out of their way there's a few dozen advanced sliders allowing you to recreate Mr. T or George Bush. Besides that, they also load in characters in a sort of layer-by-layer approach: when characters first load in they have a standard face (that looks like a normal face and not the headless horseman bullshit of AoC) and when you get closer to them their own creation loads in.

What this means is that you can look truly unique (okay, now an option to dye your armor. :| ) but that it is not slowing down the game at all.

When a free to play game can pull this off I don't understand why other games still cling to their 3 types of skin, 5 hair cuts and 2 beards. People play MMOs to be their own big hero, that doesn't quite work when everyone looks exactly like you.

What I'm not saying is that Perfect World is a fun game, is better than MMOs with only 3 faces or that games that use their char creator should also copy the rest of the game with it.

• meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited June 2008
    holy fuck this got to four pages? wow.

I know right?

You remember the last Vanguard thread? It's long since been deleted but basically consisted of an enthusiastic OP followed by a page of people making fun of the game and it falling out of reality. I admit, I was one of them :oops:.

Good to see they're trying to improve the game even if not a lot of people play it anymore. I might give this a try if we lived in an alternate universe where AoC wasn't out right now.

archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Jesus Christ, it's like you guys read my post and half way through think "you know, I should probably make a joke about this...now lets read it again and misinterpret in such a way that I can make a joke"
    Well, it might also be a problem with this being a "revive interest in a game" thread, so raising complaints that are nigh universal to all MMOs and making them sound critical (when they in fact are not to most people) kinda works against that.

"Hey guys, give this game another chance, it's actually good now!"
    "Holy shit, no water foam simulation, and the chargen is terrible!"

edited June 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Well, it might also be a problem with this being a "revive interest in a game" thread, so raising complaints that are nigh universal to all MMOs and making them sound critical (when they in fact are not to most people) kinda works against that.

"Hey guys, give this game another chance, it's actually good now!"
    "Holy shit, no water foam simulation, and the chargen is terrible!"

Oh, I'm sorry I'm coming off like that. I am in fact very interested in this game and am looking forward to trying it out.

edited June 2008
    Yeah, meat flower actualy I belive i started that thread :D Anyways, fooms just start a new chr :D you will get to lvl 10+ in no time and we can all go hump up some lower lvl dungeans :D

Axen you might want to try stopping the patcher and restarting it. Helps a bit, took me ...3 to 4 days to download the game but im on glorified dial up right now. I suualy ust left it on over night, eh oh well. Hope it works out.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    More pictures please

t5qfc9.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Ill go run around tonight, my settings are shit but, still looks nice.

edited June 2008
    Again, just more at-release screenies, at settings that made the game somewhat playable on a... Christ, I can't remember what graphics card I had back then. I think it was a GF6600GT.

I resized them because, leaning closer to the screen, I noticed that the JPEGs were actually quite poorly/overly compressed. Artifacting out the ass.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/9305/screenshot00075ae5.jpg
    http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8454/screenshot00031fi3.jpg
    http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5356/screenshot00032aa0.jpg
    http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3662/screenshot00041vb2.jpg
    http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9376/screenshot00051ya1.jpg

edited June 2008
    I will make more screenshots later, time to go to work for 10 hours

• OscrethOscreth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Again, just more at-release screenies, at settings that made the game somewhat playable on a... Christ, I can't remember what graphics card I had back then. I think it was a GF6600GT.

I resized them because, leaning closer to the screen, I noticed that the JPEGs were actually quite poorly/overly compressed. Artifacting out the ass.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/9305/screenshot00075ae5.jpg
    http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8454/screenshot00031fi3.jpg
    http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5356/screenshot00032aa0.jpg
    http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3662/screenshot00041vb2.jpg
    http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9376/screenshot00051ya1.jpg
    Screens are nice. But I don't see any mobs. Is the world so expansive that there are no living creatures for miles?

Old man, family, works too hard, locked into a routine, but still plays with army men and video games.

If you want to play League of Legends, here is my refer a friend: So I get points
    edited June 2008
    They're "this is a nice view" screenshots, not "let's show people the game" screenshots.

edited June 2008
    I think i'll go get you some really nice pics later on tonight. I remember there being a wicked rainforest valley. and there should be a place I can get pics of the skies covered in dragons.

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Skies covered in...dragons?

My eyes must bare witness to this.

edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Skies covered in...dragons?

My eyes must bare witness to this.

From what I remember, occasionally dragons will fly over zones. From the buddy key I used ages ago, I remember seeing a massive red one flying over the Orc/Goblin newbie zone, and another one flying over the thestran barbarian newbie zone.

doomrider_sigPA.png