Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Vanguard] SNEAK IS GONE SO THIS GAME IS DEAD.

2456751

Posts

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing there, but anyway. Game Trailers seems to deliver: the game does not look as shiny as ...say... LOTRO, but the fact that they have player boats and housing already makes it very interesting.

    Water effects are pretty bad, though.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I recall being rather impressed with the questing I did in beta. The world felt more alive than most MMOs. If it wasn't for the corpse runs and bugs I would have bought it. I despise corps runs, you see.

    I think I made a Druid, something like that, because the special ability spells they got sounded awesome. Something about these big OMG NUKE style spells that you could only use once you'd built up your bar enough. I don't know, it sounded awesome but I never got high enough level to use one.

  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played this game for awhile at launch and I liked it but just like others the performance was just too bad. It is a very pretty game in motion (screenshots don't seem to capture that, I believe its because screenshots can't really capture the sense of scale that you get while playing the game).

    timea.jpg
    [tiny]Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.[/tiny]
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm implying that you're either blind or wearing the type of nostalgia goggles that make people produce such lovely fantasies as "the Saturn could totally have ran Shadow of the Colossus".
    It's been a while since I last played and the last screenshots I saw were with infinite draw distance on, so maybe nostalgia /is/ playing a role here. You have to admit the water looks pretty bad, though. Especially with ships in it you'd expect some sort of reaction of the water to a ship sailing on it.

    ANYWAY, the gameplay>graphics and it seems to deliver on the gameplay.

    I was watching the walkthrough with the CEO and someone else and they were talking about dungeons and how it totally wasn't hardcore. They were talking about "you only need to play for something like 2 hours to have done something, then you can head to save area and log out and start it up again tomorrow." Maybe I'm just not an avid enough gamer, but playing games for 14 hours per week is just not possible.

    Is it possible to get anywhere with say ~3 hrs/week of gaming?

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Karrmer wrote: »
    Also, where is this collector's edition found for 10$ online?

    I ordered off of Amazon.com's user sales for $15 after shipping.

    steam_sig.png
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ordered Collector's off the Amazon guy for 18$ with expedited shipping.

    Neat.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm implying that you're either blind or wearing the type of nostalgia goggles that make people produce such lovely fantasies as "the Saturn could totally have ran Shadow of the Colossus".
    It's been a while since I last played and the last screenshots I saw were with infinite draw distance on, so maybe nostalgia /is/ playing a role here. You have to admit the water looks pretty bad, though. Especially with ships in it you'd expect some sort of reaction of the water to a ship sailing on it.
    Eh, it looks like water in pretty much 90% of the games ever since pixel shaders became the norm. That's not horrible, that's simply average. The game's almost 1.5 years old, what do you expect, Crysis? ;-)

  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    hopefully the trial isle comes out soon. it'd be cooler if they just let you trial the actual game though, even if it means hoards of idiots in all of the newbie areas

  • XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I remember hearing about how they did necromancers in this game and thought it was an amazingly cool idea.

    Anyone know how it worked out? If good enough I might give it a shot. I'm all about the necromancing.

    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    hopefully the trial isle comes out soon. it'd be cooler if they just let you trial the actual game though, even if it means hoards of idiots in all of the newbie areas
    I think the game being 18GB large is a bigger (ho ho) problem.

  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Wait, they got rid of slow travel? That was a good feature.

    Damn it.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You don't need to use it. I'm hoping this also makes travelling between continents easier; it was retarded that some races were considered hated in the only places that even allowed bloody travel (thank god my guy had invisibility).

    Can you still take quests that require you to talk to people who kill you on sight? That was another wonderful "feature".

  • eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So for those of you that do play this, what server are you on?

    steam_sig.png
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Who's Playing

    WE ARE ON THE SAREDON SERVER. Well, I should say I'm the only one there. Probably only be me, too, but I'm a 15 Paladin named Dyneir.

  • eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Somehow despite reading the OP twice, I missed that...

    steam_sig.png
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i'll be re-installing and playing this as soon as I can find my dvd for it.

    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd get into this, but I'm currently into AoC.


    so yeah, waiting on that trial <3

    t5qfc9.jpg
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There are regular editions available on eBay for $5 with free shipping. I am tempted.

    The CE is about $15 shipped on eBay. The description doesn't say anything about it including a 3 month sub, does anyone know for sure if the CE does? Someone mentioned it in this thread but I am leery.

  • eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    There are regular editions available on eBay for $5 with free shipping. I am tempted.

    The CE is about $15 shipped on eBay. The description doesn't say anything about it including a 3 month sub, does anyone know for sure if the CE does? Someone mentioned it in this thread but I am leery.

    Thats what I read about the description of the Collector's Edition contents on GoGamer, though for some reason they were selling it for 90 bucks...
    Collectors Edition Contains
    An art book featuring many original pieces by seminal fantasy artist, Keith Parkinson.
    A cloth map with an overview and points of interest for each continent.
    A CD featuring the full Vanguard: Saga of Heroes soundtrack.

    A 3 month subscription to Vanguard
    An array of premium features that give players incredible access to their characters and guilds by merging the game world with the World Wide Web.
    1 of 3 Hero Cards each granting a unique in-game item.
    The Jeric card grants a cloak that increases adventuring stats.
    The Eila card grants a cloak that increases crafting stats.
    The Idara card grants a cloak that increases diplomacy stats.

    A Guild Kit which includes
    Your choice of an in-game magical wand to create fireworks or an in-game set of horseshoes with +speed to use once you get your first horse (one per account).
    An in-game guild trophy that buffs stats for the entire guild
    Need to earn/create guild house to use
    Ten 10-day buddy keys

    steam_sig.png
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Few, quick answers. Summoning your corpse no longer costs money. All loot is now either bind on equip or soulbound. If you have played eq2 / wow or pretty much any mmo that has come out in the last 5 years this hsouldn't be that big of a deal. Rift stones now just cost money and they are usualy put in crucial spots. So as to make traveling to other continents during the lower levels much easier. They might be level based though, not sure.

    Races are no longer KOS,to other factions. wich some might think is a bad thing but you also don't get insta awsome faction, so for faction mounts / faction based qeusts you still have to grind to raise that faction. Usualy not a problem if your just killing in an area anyways.

    They toned down the amount of chr custimization untell they can pretty much make their own, so to speak. So if you have played Eq2 you know what kinda of custimization of your chr you can expect, but it will prolly be another update or more before they get around to that.

    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Woah woah woah, they were talking about how customization was one of their main selling points in the vid I watched. Why are they backpaddling here? If a free game* can provide a char customization that puts Oblivion to shame then I don't get why other games can't.

    *Perfect World

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »
    There are regular editions available on eBay for $5 with free shipping. I am tempted.

    The CE is about $15 shipped on eBay. The description doesn't say anything about it including a 3 month sub, does anyone know for sure if the CE does? Someone mentioned it in this thread but I am leery.

    Thats what I read about the description of the Collector's Edition contents on GoGamer, though for some reason they were selling it for 90 bucks...
    Collectors Edition Contains
    An art book featuring many original pieces by seminal fantasy artist, Keith Parkinson.
    A cloth map with an overview and points of interest for each continent.
    A CD featuring the full Vanguard: Saga of Heroes soundtrack.

    A 3 month subscription to Vanguard
    An array of premium features that give players incredible access to their characters and guilds by merging the game world with the World Wide Web.
    1 of 3 Hero Cards each granting a unique in-game item.
    The Jeric card grants a cloak that increases adventuring stats.
    The Eila card grants a cloak that increases crafting stats.
    The Idara card grants a cloak that increases diplomacy stats.

    A Guild Kit which includes
    Your choice of an in-game magical wand to create fireworks or an in-game set of horseshoes with +speed to use once you get your first horse (one per account).
    An in-game guild trophy that buffs stats for the entire guild
    Need to earn/create guild house to use
    Ten 10-day buddy keys

    There was a comment on Amazon.ca about how the free 3-months isn't actually to Vanguard but to the Station service from Sony. You only get 1 free month.

    0liDg.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Crap, I guess I should have read the comments... Oh well, still was only 15 bucks.

    steam_sig.png
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Crap, I guess I should have read the comments... Oh well, still was only 15 bucks.
    Free game is still free (assuming $15 monthy fees)

    0liDg.png
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Woah woah woah, they were talking about how customization was one of their main selling points in the vid I watched. Why are they backpaddling here? If a free game* can provide a char customization that puts Oblivion to shame then I don't get why other games can't.
    *Perfect World
    I'm assuming because they want to make the customization more robust and the current design painted them into a corner. Also, the least said about Oblivion's "how to make your character look more mongoloid with each drag" sliders the better.

  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    starting massive patching process now, maybe see you sometime tonight

    edit: 5 hours est. to go.

    I guess this is what happens when you patch from original launch cd's

    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    lol, so wich one of you has the 13 bard named cachan ? :D anyways, yeah Like i said they cut back n the custimization untell they could impliment something that wont completely destroy your computer :D Wich is what was happening to alot of people.

    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    More people need to look at Perfect World and do it like them. *nod nod*

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Character customization "Oblivion style" is way over-rated in terms of creating a unique character.

    In WoW all characters look different unless they are almost exact clones of each other. That's one of the reasons Blizzard has been avoiding "Barber Shop" style modifications for it would allow people to look identical after the fact.

    You character weighing 20 pounds more than another character doesn't make them unique, it just sends more un-necessary information to the other clients. Having many more 'realistic' faces, hair styles and skin tones will make character creation more varied than 100 sliders that adjust stupid stuff like nose crookedness, neck length, and other very minute details.

    0liDg.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Foomy wrote: »
    starting massive patching process now, maybe see you sometime tonight

    edit: 5 hours est. to go.

    I guess this is what happens when you patch from original launch cd's

    Heh, I went for the Digital Download. I got about 4 or so hours left now, but its been going at it for about 18+ hours. Weeeee!

  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »
    starting massive patching process now, maybe see you sometime tonight

    edit: 5 hours est. to go.

    I guess this is what happens when you patch from original launch cd's

    Heh, I went for the Digital Download. I got about 4 or so hours left now, but its been going at it for about 18+ hours. Weeeee!

    I thought about the digital download, but than the game is like 18gb so I figured the patch has to be less than that.

    2hr 30min to go

    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    More people need to look at Perfect World and do it like them. *nod nod*

    What, make a boring game with an in-depth character creation system?

    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KingMole wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    More people need to look at Perfect World and do it like them. *nod nod*

    What, make a boring game with an in-depth character creation system?

    It worked for Cryptic. Hey-O! :P

    Spoiler:

  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    KingMole wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    More people need to look at Perfect World and do it like them. *nod nod*

    What, make a boring game with an in-depth character creation system?

    It worked for Cryptic. Hey-O! :P

    Spoiler:

    I know I was bored enough to only play the 30 days and then quit. Not because CoX was a bad game, but more because of the forced grouping. Grouping was lots of fun when I could find one, but I went way too long at times having no groups and being utterly bored... to the point it became enough for me to decide against paying for what was otherwise a very entertaining game.

    Bringing this around to the topic at hand... how's Vanguard handle grouping? Is it forced or can you solo for the most part and only group for bigger dungeons and bosses?

  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    pretty much what you said toxic you can solo to 50 if you want. just avoid all group quests and do all the solo content. but yes, alot of the dungeons are groups only . Most classes can solo 2 dot and 3 dots, with a few that can actualy handle 4dot mobs wich are usualy group only.

    Also a feature i forgot to mention was thatthe put brotherhoods in so you can keep up with your friends. it sucks away xps when your solo though, butif you just keep grouping it dums a % of it to your offline members / anyone in the brotherood. Was nice for the short time my necro was in one. but it sucks up xps when your sol

    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    holy fuck this got to four pages? wow.

    Regicid: Trust me, the Rift Stones only help out a little bit, and cut down on two hour traveling from one continent to another. This is coming from the guy who despises the Plane of Knowledge in EverQuest, and think it was the worst idea in MMO history: the Rift Stones work, and they do nothing but strengthen the community by making it easier to get from Point A leagues away to Point B, while still giving you a lot of traveling time to actually get to a rift stone. It's usually about a ten minute ride from Tursh to the Rift Stone in Three Rivers, or whatever the town is called. Still quite a bit of traveling to do and sights to see.

  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How big are each of the continents anyway? Compared to some other MMOs you might have played.

    Oh and I suppose I should ask what server is everyone on? I am about an hour or so away from finishing the update.

    On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, I was watching my Ghostbusters DVDs and just realized that the Ghostbusters 2 DVD has 2 of the cartoon episodes on it. I have had these DVDs for a long, long time. What a happy surprise!

  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    combine all contients from Eq2s launch an dyou have Thestra. maybe shve off a few zones fromeq2 but thats just one of the 2 contients in vanguard. Qalia is prlly about 3/4ths the size of thestra. All fo them have content for every level. Kojan got screwed for content but its mainly a newb starting zone, gets you to lvl 20 or so but realy there is no reason to spend that long on kojan.

    Essentialy if you chose too, you could go from 1 to 50 without going over the same content. I think from 40 to 50 you miht have to but there are enough places to grind that you dont really have to worry aobut quests.

    Seradon is the server we are palying on.

    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So wait, SOE is reactivating old EQ and EQ2 accounts for a month without you having to do anything except log in... are they doing that for Vanguard as well?

Sign In or Register to comment.