As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vanguard] SNEAK IS GONE SO THIS GAME IS DEAD.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I am destined to have this gay shield with me for the rest of my days, it seems.

And the axe... don't forget the axe.

So yeah, I'd be interested in a buddy key just to check this game out. Like the guy a couple posts up, I'm playing AoC and I'm just not entirely convinced it's for me. I like the game and all, but little niggling things are starting to wear at my patience and I'd like to try something else for a little while, either to give Funcom time to work on their game a bit more, or to pull me away entirely so that I don't slip back into WoW. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Typhus733 wrote: »
    I know I will be quite interested in one if you could spare
    Have you gotten a buddy key yet? Turns out I only have one (maybe subscribed members get more), and you were the first one that asked (that I could see).
    Sorry to the rest of the people interested, low supply. :(

Hopefully Karrmer can supply the rest with his.

Glal on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How do we get buddy keys in the first place? I bought the game when it first launched but I don't remember giving out any keys so if someone can tell me how to get mine I would gladly give them out to whomever needs one.

Shogun on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd be interested in trying this out as well if anyone has a spare buddy key. :P

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    ArkainnArkainn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

So yeah, I'd be interested in a buddy key just to check this game out. Like the guy a couple posts up, I'm playing AoC and I'm just not entirely convinced it's for me. I like the game and all, but little niggling things are starting to wear at my patience and I'd like to try something else for a little while, either to give Funcom time to work on their game a bit more, or to pull me away entirely so that I don't slip back into WoW. :P

I'm in almost the exact same boat as you. I think it's the massive instancing in AoC that's bothering me the most, but the game just doesn't feel like it's as good as it could be.

I'd love to snag a trial key if Karrmer or anyone else ends up with a spare one. I used to love me some EQ classic back in the day, and if this just expands on that.... <3

Arkainn on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shogun wrote: »
    How do we get buddy keys in the first place? I bought the game when it first launched but I don't remember giving out any keys so if someone can tell me how to get mine I would gladly give them out to whomever needs one.
    I got a postcard-like thing in the box with a trial code valid until Dec this year.

Glal on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    I got a postcard-like thing in the box with a trial code valid until Dec this year.

Ok when I get home from work I'll check my box and if I have keys I will gladly hand them out.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Arkainn wrote: »
    I'm in almost the exact same boat as you. I think it's the massive instancing in AoC that's bothering me the most, but the game just doesn't feel like it's as good as it could be.

I'd love to snag a trial key if Karrmer or anyone else ends up with a spare one. I used to love me some EQ classic back in the day, and if this just expands on that.... <3

I'm not even sure I entirely hate the idea of instancing, though I certainly understand why others don't like it. I sorta like the crowds being broken up a little, particularly in this game since the respawns on boss monsters is atrocious. Still, it does fragment the community which, due to the poor group interface, is already pretty fragmented. On top of that, having to constantly load new zones (I mean... fucking Underhalls... does it really need to be 4 goddamn different zones within a zone?!) really just gets old.

Plus, the graphics loading in the distance starts to wear on me. Presumably, limiting the scope of the world to zones is done to save the game from having to load so much, but it still needs to constantly load textures in, and not in very subtle ways.

So yeah... definately hope there are some buddy keys around. I'm willing to give anything a try at this point... I've even been thinking of renewing my CoX sub!

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    VG Interface has a bunch of UI mods and tools for Vanguard. I personally only use the InfoMap Advanced.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So for anyone wondering about performance, these are my relevant specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600
    8800GTS 640MB
    2GB RAM

This was a mid- to high-end rig a year and a half ago when I built it.

I have every single graphics option in Vanguard maxed out. Everything. Shadows, grass, lighting, view distance, there is not a single thing you could do to make this game more demanding on my system.

In outdoor areas I get a consistent 35-40 FPS. When entering crodwded areas like cities I get some hitching for a few seconds, and then it's back to around 30FPS. Chunking still makes the game hitch for a few seconds, but there's no graphical slowdown once the new chunk is loaded.

I have never seen a game that looks this good run this well. It's pretty amazing how far this game has come.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn you all. I just ordered the collectors edition. I actually miss corpse runs and such. This sounds so much like the true spiritual successor to EQ1. No suprise considering Brad made EQ1 too.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I too am really keen to try this one out. I'm a WoW player that's only dabbled in a few other games (CoX, EQ2) but I'm really looking for a game which looks and feels like a high fantasy adventure, not a game where you just gotta race up to max level before you can do anything. This looks like the type of thing I'm after. My computer will need some upgrading to make it run but it sounds like its nowhere near as graphics intensive as it used to be so thats good. I'd love to run it on high but as long as I can play I don't really care. Fingers crossed next payday I can try this one out

If I do get in, where do I get a shield like Sneaks?

And did they ever put the Inquisitor class in? Doesn't look like it :(

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I remember reading a developer letter really late at night, where Brad McQuaid was talking about how they were going to keep polishing the game and focus on a re-release for Dec 07. (Sony was involved at this point) When I went back to actually see what had happened, it turns out Brad no longer worked for the company. Anybody know what the deal is?

Fryhole on
  • Options
    Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played Vanguard briefly thanks to a buddy key. I remember thinking, "Man, this game has so much potential! If it only it worked!" I'm glad to hear that it's turned around so well.

I'd love to try it out again, but I'll probably hold out for a trial.

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Quick question. How do I bind? Apparently I am still bound to the starting zone and this is unacceptable to me now.

Axen on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fryhole wrote: »
    I remember reading a developer letter really late at night, where Brad McQuaid was talking about how they were going to keep polishing the game and focus on a re-release for Dec 07. (Sony was involved at this point) When I went back to actually see what had happened, it turns out Brad no longer worked for the company. Anybody know what the deal is?

There's a post I read somewhere, which details all of Brad's faults, and his failed lofty goals... apparently he mismanaged the hell out of vanguard, and that's why it was so crappy. Someone else took over and fixed it all. Brad isn't a hero... he's a villain. I'll try to find it and link it, might take awhile.

Hrm... I'm at work and can't read it, but I think this is it.

Possible link (confirmed good link)

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »

There's a post I read somewhere, which details all of Brad's faults, and his failed lofty goals... apparently he mismanaged the hell out of vanguard, and that's why it was so crappy. Someone else took over and fixed it all. Brad isn't a hero... he's a villain. I'll try to find it and link it, might take awhile.

Possible link

Thats a good link. Wow, what a duche...

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yathrin wrote: »
    Dyvion wrote: »

Possible link

Thats a good link. Wow, what a duche...

Yeah... he didn't live up to the hype, but his legacy is greatness, can't fault him there.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    Quick question. How do I bind? Apparently I am still bound to the starting zone and this is unacceptable to me now.

find a bindstone (big crystal looking thing, sorta looks like a riftway) and than just right click it

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Glal: Nope, but toss it to the next person, I won't have time this coming week to play to it's fullest.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well I apologize for getting anyone's hopes up. I just checked my box and I have no postcard or anything about trial keys. Sorry guys. I'm still debating on reinstalling and reactivating my account. I'm so tempted but I've done this three times and each time I was disappointed with the game so I'm very hesitant.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Behold the glory of Snog! Goblin Blood Mage to the Stars!
    ScreenShot_00000-1.jpg
    Ooooh. Aaaaah.

Axen on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Typhus733 wrote: »
    Glal: Nope, but toss it to the next person, I won't have time this coming week to play to it's fullest.

I love you.

I mean... uh, well yay I guess I might get his code ._.;

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well I apologize for getting anyone's hopes up. I just checked my box and I have no postcard or anything about trial keys. Sorry guys. I'm still debating on reinstalling and reactivating my account. I'm so tempted but I've done this three times and each time I was disappointed with the game so I'm very hesitant.

I really wish I could help you with the eternal struggle here, but I also don't want to be the one that says that the game is a must-play amazing experience, and you are a complete and total idiot for not playing it and enjoying it, and then it turns out you don't really care for it... I would feel like a douche. I will tell you that I used to hate this game, and I really do mean hate it, but it has now become my favorite MMO in a very long time.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played this game at release and I enjoyed the Discipline game play a lot. It actually was interesting and around the time the game became unplayable performance wise was when it was just beginning to get complex.

I'd be interested to try this again if they ever activate old accounts.

*edit* did they fix the bullshit about Orcs basically not being able to get to Qualia at all?

I was killed about 3 times right off the boat and spent hours trying to grind Qualia port city rep to no avail. That's about the time I canceled.

And... is the Asian continent still basically empty?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I played this game at release and I enjoyed the Discipline game play a lot. It actually was interesting and around the time the game became unplayable performance wise was when it was just beginning to get complex.

I'd be interested to try this again if they ever activate old accounts.

*edit* did they fix the bullshit about Orcs basically not being able to get to Qualia at all?

I was killed about 3 times right off the boat and spent hours trying to grind Qualia port city rep to no avail. That's about the time I canceled.

And... is the Asian continent still basically empty?

I think the orcs are no longer a pain in the ass, yes.

The asian content is now there, but it's really just low-level stuff, nothing to max out to 50 on.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Damn it Sneak I just may take the plunge.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Glal don't bother with giving me your code. Though I'll share the wealth with which I got my trial code from.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=32939

The guy who made this thread is as awesome as can be, he's giving away a sum of 150 buddy keys he got from fifteen collectors editions he snatched up. He's also giving away the Collectors Editions through a semi-contest in the thread that involves your character. Basically... go there, email him to get your code so you can make an opinion of the game before buying it. Damn awesome guy he is.

Also whoo patching... hm, doesn't look too bad either, only four hours.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the heads up, Arthil! Shot that dude an email, hopefully he's not out of keys.

Arkainn on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wow that dude is some kinda fucking MMO Angel of Mercy.

I shot him an e-mail as well, hoping to get myself a key to try this out. I tried playing AoC tonight and just went "Meh". Then I fired WoW up again after updating all my addons, but after being in for less than 5 minutes I was like "Meh". Then an annoying graphical glitch returned wherein all the colors flipped out (this happens in no other game), and I just gnashed my teeth and typed '/exit'.

So here's hoping.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    if your on the fence about vanguard than maybe I can push you towards the right side (the playing vanguard side that is)

first it's one of the most beautiful mmo's I've ever played. the scenery is full of great wildlife, theres tiny little things spread around everywhere that either make you laugh a bit, or make you go "ohhhh ahhhh". the towns are awesomely put together and feel alive. the world just feels pretty real to me. it's also very varied. theres deserts,rainforests,bogs,plains,old growth forests, weird caves that you never know what you might find in them, it even has alternate dimensions where everything is just whacked out.

Questing is always fun and challenging and theres never a lack of something to do, in fact at most times you can more than fill your quest log(it's 50 quests big), and still have more things to do. Dungeon crawling is probably the best out of any mmo, it can be hard at times. but it is also very rewarding, and always a blast to do.

and as for the classes, this game has the most varied bunch of classes ever. everyone is unique, has it's own rolls, and is never overshadowed by some other class. you can pretty well throw together a group of any 6 of them and it will work.

so just do it, play the game. you know you want to

edit: oh I forgot to say about the community of the game, cause thats the best part really. Just about everyone you meet is nice, and helpful. You ever need to know something you just ask in general chat and you get your answer, and a lot of times even people willing to help you right away. I was out running a dungeon tonight and one of the other bards convo's me while were sitting around and starts to give me some tips and quests I could go do to improve my gear, and even an offer to go and show me where there at and help me through it later. No other mmo has a community like this, it's like canadaworld or mr.rogers online sometimes (in a very good way)

Foomy on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    fryhole, Brad mcquaid has nothing to do with this game nor do any of the Orignal devs. Its a crack unit of devs who wanted tow ork on the game to make it better essentialy. But soe wantas to re release the game once it starts to run much better.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Holy shit that guy is fast... he already sent me my code, and now I've started the download. Says 55 minutes to go or something.

I'll probably not be online tonight, but I'll definately waste my weekend playing this if it's any good, so I'll see you in-game!

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fifty-five minutes D:? *Looks at his which says three hours and thirty minutes*

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yes I too have been simply amazed at how much better Vanguard is now. Before its release it was in my number 1 most anticipated slot. So I was quite crushed by how unforgivably crappy the game ran at release. That was the past.

Now I must say I like everything about the game so far. True it still has some problems: the animations are a bit choppy, character customization is not quite what it could be, a number of spell effects (at least the ones I've seen so far) aren't all that impressive. Despite those gripes though the rest of the game, IMO, is made of enough awesome to counter my complaints.

And the complaints I have are stuff the Devs are working on to improve anyway.

The GMs are pretty helpful. Last night I was on a quest that was bugged, I petitioned a GM and explained the situation to him and he switched my quest to "Completed" so I was able to continue on.

The community in game has been helpful. Almost too helpful. I hope I am not asked to share a dixie cup of "Magic Punch" with them anytime soon. :P

-Edit

Hot damn I just emailed that dude like 10 minutes ago and he got me the hook up. Now I can start to bring my buddy into the fold.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Fifty-five minutes D:? *Looks at his which says three hours and thirty minutes*

To be fair, the timer STILL says 55 minutes, so I'm not thinking it's entirely accurate.

Ok now it says 54 but it also said 57 a moment ago.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, he was replying from his iPhone apparently, haha.

I've got about an hour and a half left on the download. So many different classes and they all look interesting. I have no idea where to start. D:

Arkainn on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You have no idea what a horror this is going to be for me. As a chronic altoholic, this game might just be my undoing.

I always tell myself that I'm just going to pick something and stick with it for awhile to see a good chunk of the game, but even with the limited time I'll have with this buddy key thing, I just know that I'll never get any characters out of the noob zones.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You have no idea what a horror this is going to be for me. As a chronic altoholic, this game might just be my undoing.

I always tell myself that I'm just going to pick something and stick with it for awhile to see a good chunk of the game, but even with the limited time I'll have with this buddy key thing, I just know that I'll never get any characters out of the noob zones.

oh your doomed than, because here's the frightening bit, all the classes are fun to play.

good luck with your 15 alts. 16 if they ever put in the beserker (or did they just totaly drop this idea, and the other class I forget about that was planned)

Foomy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah it's already gotten bad and I haven't even logged into the game yet.

I was reading about the classes, trying to get a head start on what I'd like to play, when I saw the Bard. "Ooh, that looks like it could be neat" I think to myself. Oh, but there's the rogue a few slots up! I know I like rogues, and am generally good at playing one. But what's this? Blood Mages can literally make opponents' organs explode, and drain their life and shit? Sounds like a Warlock... another of my favorite classes from WoW. But wait! Necromancer! Oh god after playing Age of Conan's gimped-up Necro, I could really get into one that is like... not gimped! Wait, wtf? Psionicist? Now THAT could be interesting....

AAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

Toxic Pickle on