As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vanguard] SNEAK IS GONE SO THIS GAME IS DEAD.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I personally am going to give a Warrior a try first, always like to play offensive-based heavy armour wearers.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love the community so much that I'm finding myself being a helpful little shit in the world too.

I was just wandering with my Paladin, going nowhere in particular, seeing the sights, when I came upon a camp of bugbears. So I slew them horribly, and one of them dropped a very nice one-handed axe, only slightly less DPS than mine, but a nice strength bonus to it. I decided to just keep wielding what I have, but instead of selling or throwing the axe away, I did a /who 8 all, found a bunch of people that could use the axe, picked one at random, and asked if he would like it. Travelled all the way to his location on Kojan to hook him up. And this is exactly what other players do for me all the time.

So, after that, I decide to level up my Bard just a bit before bed. Holy shit, it's like the developers just decided to put everything that is wonderful and right with the world into one class.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So let me take this opportunity, before I pass out, to show those that are unfamiliar with Vanguard's bard system why it is made of puppy dogs and rainbows and bees that shit out ice cream flavored titties:
    screenshot00010qr8.jpg

screenshot00025nt0.jpg

screenshot00026ty2.jpg

screenshot00027gw7.jpg

screenshot00028wu3.jpg

screenshot00029lk5.jpg

screenshot00030fq7.jpg

screenshot00031st3.jpg

screenshot00032rm5.jpg

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    ArkainnArkainn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hahaha! That was glorious, Sneak. I might have to try a bard first.

Arkainn on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man, Bards look neat. :D
    Also, really glad people found alternate buddy code means, given the rather sizable demand at the moment.

Glal on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dude. Songs named after EQ gods?

You are my fucking hero.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You know I really, really want to give this a try. But the patcher might as well be kicking me right in the nuts. I got what I thought was the whole patch in... five, maybe six hours. It finishes... and then what does it do? It's started on another patch thats going to take nine hours apparently. I don't get how a game with no expansions can take so long to patch D:.

Arthil on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    You know I really, really want to give this a try. But the patcher might as well be kicking me right in the nuts. I got what I thought was the whole patch in... five, maybe six hours. It finishes... and then what does it do? It's started on another patch thats going to take nine hours apparently. I don't get how a game with no expansions can take so long to patch D:.

Hehe. Same thing happened to me. Except the first download was 18 hours and then the second was 40 hours. :|

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    .... D: I can only hope it's showing as long as it is because of the file, I really do. I can't really leave the download going while I'm asleep >.<.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That's the only way to update these games. I get far too antsy when I do updates during the day, I keep looking at the timer and going "...gnnn! You said two hours 10 minutes ago! GO DOWN FASTER!".

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    .... D: I can only hope it's showing as long as it is because of the file, I really do. I can't really leave the download going while I'm asleep >.<.

Well when you close out the downloader and start it up again it will continue from where it left off.

I can't help but play this game in first person. I have missed it so. I know eventually I will have to go to third person, but I shall hold out for as long as I can. Everything is just so much better in first person.

Another pic with Snog, Goblin Blood Mage to the Stars.
    ScreenShot_00002-2.jpg
    Snog on the left and his friend "Tiny" on the right.

Axen on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Berserker and ther 4th tank inquisitor never really made it, I would assume they are on the drawing board for the far future but .

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ok, I asked the dude for a buddy key, so hopefully I'll be able to get one and be on by the end of the weekend. (since patching sounds like it will take awhile.)

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's still not done

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's still not done

There is no patch, only Zuul.

Axen on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I woke up this morning and the game was all patched and stuff... not sure how long it really took, but apparently less time than it is for poor Arthil.

I made a Halfling rogue and dicked around for awhile... keep getting killed by ants, which is a real bruiser to the ego I must say. Seems OK, but I really think I want to try the Bard a bit, which was the first class that caught my eye last night.. plus I'm not sure I'll be able to stand the overpowering cuteness of a Halfling.

Anyways, I wanted to ask: I shut the game down so that I could configure my G18 keyboard, and when I started it up again the game starts scanning files. It's been doing this for at least 5 minutes now and is about 72% complete. Is it going to go through this every fucking time I start the game?

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyways, I wanted to ask: I shut the game down so that I could configure my G18 keyboard, and when I started it up again the game starts scanning files. It's been doing this for at least 5 minutes now and is about 72% complete. Is it going to go through this every fucking time I start the game?
    i seem to remember vanguard having the same patcher that EQ and EQ2 use, and from what i can tell they all act as follows: patch a bunch of stuff, next load up scans files forever, NEXT load up is a quick scan....all others are quick until a patch....i could be totally wrong about this, but this is what i seem to notice

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hopefully it does get better... I'll try starting it up again likely tonight after work.

So, after playing the Halfling a bit, which started pretty normally (o noes, our village is under attack by ants! Kill 3 of these and 3 of those, go to this place and kill ants etc), I did decide to go ahead and try a Bard... thanks in no small part to The Sneak!s screenshot wherein he was able to name a song 'wiener'. :D

Looking through the races, I went with the Asian-looking guys and rolled one up... only to be thrown into a beginning that completely blew me away. Apparently I'm the morality officer in The Emperor's army, and we're attacking a small village that has defied him! o_O I'm responsible for killing some villagers, stealing treasure, and smacking soldiers around who aren't bloodthirsty enough.

This is one helluva way to start an MMO.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    At release the Kurashasa had a pretty terribly designed starting area (this valley where the grassy ground had a blue sheen o_O), but once out of there you went to their court, where you learned the Diplomacy game by making allies with people in power, spying on their rivals and just generally getting a feel of what the allied races were like and acquiring blackmail material. Pretty damn awesome, and the way the flavour text was written made my character actually feel clever and conniving.

Glal on
  • Options
    VaeVae Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I picked up this game based soley on the conversations in this thread. I have to say so far I am pretty impressed. I went with a Druid and am already having a blast. So many of the classes look fun to play, after I get a better feel for the game I'll have to check some of them out.

Vae on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That bard stuff is awesome. Doubly awesome because of the crossbow.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It does look cool, yeah. Due to chronic altitis, I'm not sure if I'll stick with it before having to try other stuff, but it certainly has the potential to hold my interest for awhile, particularly if these Asian-land quests continue to be as badass as I'm hearing.

So for tonight at least, look for Xianxu Xoh (last names ftw!), the Triple-X bard!

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think those of us level 7 through 10 should group up tonight for Riftseeker's Torrent.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shit, I'm going to roll up a Cleric so I can be the main healer for it.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So how difficult is it to get to level 7? If I could do that tonight I imagine it'd be great fun to join you chaps in a bit of adventure. I'll probably start playing when I get home tonight, and push this spoony bard of mine up a few levels to see what this game can do.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Not long at all. I grinded my bard to 7 without really doing any quests in... oh... I guess an hour and a half-two hours? Very quick.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Riftseeker's Torrent is really a place for levels 8 - 15, so I'm just going to say we'll be taking levels 7 - 15 into this group for mad XPz and sight seeing because FUCK it is such a cool place.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So I made a Kojani Dread Knight just to check out what you guys are talking about. There was something I noticed right off the bat. Lets see if you can tell what it is:
    ScreenShot_00022.jpg
    Kojani Human Dreadknight lvl 1.

ScreenShot_00023.jpg
    Thestran Human Dreadknight lvl 1.

Notice the difference?
    I will give you a hint-
    HE IS FUCKING BADASS LOOKING!

That is just not fair man.

Axen on
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I should have my copy of the game today, not sure how long the patch process will be. Hopefully I'll be able to join you guys tonight.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Whoo it's done!

Arthil on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So from what I can see, this game just oozes original Everquest. It makes sense since it was created by the originators of The Vision, the people that gave us Everquest, Kunark, and Velious - the greatest game and expansions ever - but now I have this fear .. this fear that with Mcquaid gone and SOE taking over, that they're going to want to cash in on what every other MMO has become (waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy) and eliminate things like travel, corpse runs, no instancing, etc.

Which is probably why I'm getting in on this ASAP before they ruin it.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is it possible to move my character to another server without a fee? I have like a level 17 dwarf rogue on another server with pretty good gear and if I could switch him that would seal it for me.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Karrmer wrote: »
    So from what I can see, this game just oozes original Everquest. It makes sense since it was created by the originators of The Vision, the people that gave us Everquest, Kunark, and Velious - the greatest game and expansions ever - but now I have this fear .. this fear that with Mcquaid gone and SOE taking over, that they're going to want to cash in on what every other MMO has become (waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy) and eliminate things like travel, corpse runs, no instancing, etc.

Which is probably why I'm getting in on this ASAP before they ruin it.

From the sound of things McQuaid is the source of a lot of the games earlier troubles. With SOE leading the way the game has gone from unplayable shitfest to amazingly fun. So I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Axen on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Can anyone toss me a buddy key? I played back in teh beta, and I had a lot of fun with the diplomacy system, but I got a little lost in the bugs and such.

I hope it's become a much more full fledged system now.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Can anyone toss me a buddy key? I played back in teh beta, and I had a lot of fun with the diplomacy system, but I got a little lost in the bugs and such.

Dude, check this out: http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/po...topic_id=32939

There's a guy who is giving away 150 buddy keys, all you gotta do is e-mail him before they run out. That's how a couple of us have gotten our keys. He's also running a contest for people to win the CE edition of the game from him.

Dude's a MMO saint.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yea just noticed and sent him a key. Can someone tell me how partying works in this game? When I say "partying" I mean I'm an avid FFXI player. For those of you who don't know what that means, it means I'm used to grouping with 5 other people to do 90% of stuff I do, including exping/questing. I find that's the best way to meet and want to hang with other people online.

It's one of the reasons I'm not really happy with a lot of other MMOs. It feels like you dont' really ever have to do the MMO part of the game. (Big reason WoW and I didn't get along)

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well Sony just got 15 of my dollars. I'm patching. See you guys in a couple days hah.

Shogun on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

There's a guy who is giving away 150 buddy keys, all you gotta do is e-mail him before they run out. That's how a couple of us have gotten our keys. He's also running a contest for people to win the CE edition of the game from him.

Dude's a MMO saint.
    Not Found

The requested URL /vg/po...topic_id=32939 was not found on this server.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If it does that go to the forums, to the newbie yard. It'll be in there. Anyway... I'm very saddened. It took me so long to patch up the game and... well it's barely playable. I'm constantly getting kicked back to my character select screen, for some odd reason It only displays one of my equipped weapons as well. I guess the processor meant more then I could have imagined for it to be this bad >.<. A shame too, since it means one of that guys keys was wasted on me =(.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

Dude's a MMO saint.
    Not Found

The requested URL /vg/po...topic_id=32939 was not found on this server.

Not sure what happened there.. it worked last night even though I had to backspace off a bunch of junk that got added in the address line before 'http'.

I guess just do what Arthil mentioned. :P

Toxic Pickle on