As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League On] Magic: The Gathering - Ladder website up!

CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Critical Failures
Hey, go here:
http://muon.us/mtg/

What is this?
As discussed in the main MTG thread, I'd like to set up PA MTG League for the purposes of testing new decks, trying out new formats, and generally playin' some Magic.

Proposed Setup:

Format:
Rotates each week. List of formats

Meeting Place:
IRC: #pa_mtg on slashnet
Note: If you haven't used IRC before, its probably worthwhile to learn! It is really not that hard and is used for this sort of thing often.

Play:
Free Play:
At any time during the week, join IRC to find an opponent to play with. Playing whatever the format is for the week is encouraged, but by no means necessary. If there are enough people at any one time, running a draft will also be possible.

GxewS.png
CmdPrompt on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Elder Dragon Highlander Generals
    User - General
    CmdPrompt - Experiment Kraj
    Chen - Niv-Mizzet
    JeffH - Zur
    superjoe - Teneb
    Shamus - Tefari
    Elaro - Tibor and Lumia
    iamtheaznman - Arcanis
    Pjstelford - Horde of Notions
    Papillion - Dralnu
    real_pochacco - Empress Galina
    Ryadic - Aboshan
    Thrawn200 - Oona

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sign me up. I love the idea and would love to help get this up and running.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I work until 10pm EST four days a week (Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sun), but otherwise I should be around any day.

Shamus on
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyone hear of the idea of a 'box-league?'

Basically each person shows up with a booster box. Trade on, and build what you can from that limited pool of cards.

Might be nifty. Would need someone to serve as commissioner though and approve all trades.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A box league wouldn't work very well with Magic Workstation.

Naturally, not Fridays. We can probably eliminate Fridays as a potential day right away due to FNM.

For me, either Saturday would be best, followed by workdays after 5 PST (8 EST).

Papillon on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm totally in. Best tournament times for me are any day (save Friday, of course) after about 5 EST.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I used to play magic competitively years ago. I won a bunch of stuff including a few GP Qualifiers.

However, I haven't touched any of the new cards past Onslaught cycle. Might as well have an excuse to come back and learn some stuff.

I'm in, I am around M-TR after 6 EST.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Interested, mainly in Standard. As to the tournament, any time after 4:30 PM GMT on weekdays and pretty much any point in the weekends.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    OP updated.

Workdays seem to be all over the place, sounds like Saturday, 2PM EST would be best.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    OP updated.

Workdays seem to be all over the place, sounds like Saturday, 2PM EST would be best.

I can only guarantee M-Tr, so :(.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i would be interested. weekends are usually pretty bad, but m-thu anytime after 5 EST should be fine with me. If we have this on saturday, I can't guarantee anything but when I'm free on the weekends, I will play

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Alright, scheduling stuff across multiple time zones is a bitch and a half.
    I'll wait on making any declarations until more people have posted good what times are good for them.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ooh, this sounds like fun.

I suppose it's about time I played something that wasn't standard.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in

I dunno when I'd be available for any sort of organized play, but just pick-up games is neat enough. Guess I should load up a Vintage deck? (Better do it before the 20th D:)

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I vote for sealed, block or extended :P

rabblerouser on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well I'm going to be pretty busy this week and weekend, but when I get a chance I'll install IRC in my PC and get in the channel. I can't guarentee any certain times because my schedule is very hectic from time to time. Weekends are usually my free days, but I usually make plans with family or friends on those.

As far as IRC goes, what should I use? I used mIRC long ago when I used to hang out on IRC, but that was years ago.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm down for block and extended myself. Extended sounds fun, because it includes sets I missed out on, as I stopped playing a little bit before then.

Shamus on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is this like a M:TG game that we are downloading or is it like just pictures of the cards and when you play someone yyou have to tell them what you are doing?

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm down for extended. I also vote for standard and draft :).

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Is this like a M:TG game that we are downloading or is it like just pictures of the cards and when you play someone yyou have to tell them what you are doing?

It has standard actions and arrows to indicate things. There are phases and whatnot as well. You do have to vaguely talk to the opponent by saying things like End My Turn or Ok? after stuff, but its not as bad as just pictures.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    there are buttons for the more common phrases, like EOT, OK?, OK, End my turn, etc

JeffH on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JeffH wrote: »
    there are buttons for the more common phrases, like EOT, OK?, OK, End my turn, etc

You can even write your own buttons.

I had to do that back when I was playing Owling Mine- I turned the entire ruling about the intervening-if clause into a button.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The pictures should have the rules text, it's not that bad :P I see that having a router hooked up could be a problem. Anyone experience this?

rabblerouser on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The best way I've found is to just host stuff on mwsplay.net, see the bottom of this page.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would like to participate in Limited games the most, and maybe standard/block.

I tend to find that when it's vintage or extended, people just put together the most retarded and un-fun decks to play against. Especially in-person, this just kills the game for most people, because someone pulls out their second or first turn win deck they've spent thousands of dollars on the game, while those of us that limit how much we buy don't stand a chance, and may as well put our deck on the table, draw seven cards, and say "you win".

Atleast with limited and to some extent standard, everyones in the same boat, and has to work with limited cards.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    leaf wrote: »
    I would like to participate in Limited games the most, and maybe standard/block.

I tend to find that when it's vintage or extended, people just put together the most retarded and un-fun decks to play against. Especially in-person, this just kills the game for most people, because someone pulls out their second or first turn win deck they've spent thousands of dollars on the game, while those of us that limit how much we buy don't stand a chance, and may as well put our deck on the table, draw seven cards, and say "you win".

Atleast with limited and to some extent standard, everyones in the same boat, and has to work with limited cards.

If we're playing on MWS, though, everyone has access to every card. Think of it as unlimited proxies allowed; everybody can make the same broken decks, so it's fair :D

Also, I'm down with some EDH, if anyone's interested.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I recently regained my interest in Magic, but have no one to play with, so I'm pretty excited about this. I'm particularly interested in Limited. I'm in the UK but since I'm on break most reasonable times on the east coast I could do. However, does the workstation work on a mac?

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    superjoe wrote: »

If we're playing on MWS, though, everyone has access to every card. Think of it as unlimited proxies allowed; everybody can make the same broken decks, so it's fair :D

EDH would be awesome. I've always wanted to try it.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shamus wrote: »
    superjoe wrote: »

EDH would be awesome. I've always wanted to try it.

It's so fun. I was just playing against a Sliver Overlord deck, with plenty of spot removal in my hand... which does well when he's got a Crystalline Sliver in play. 14 general damage, dead on the board...

WRATH OFF THE TOP FTW

(and then he just draws lands)

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I call dibs on Niv-Mizzet if this EDH league takes off.

SRSLY HANDS OFF OR I'LL BRUTALLY DISMEMBER THEM.

Oh, I guess I could participate in the official formats too.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    dibs on zur ;)

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Everything through 10E (.torrent, 3GB)
    10E through LRW (.torrent, 600MB)

downloading those two is taking FOREVER

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Chen wrote: »
    I call dibs on Niv-Mizzet if this EDH league takes off.

SRSLY HANDS OFF OR I'LL BRUTALLY DISMEMBER THEM.

Oh, I guess I could participate in the official formats too.

You're not one of those people that like to play Ophidian Eye, are you?

Also, my general of choice is Teneb, the Harvester. So I guess I should claim dibs.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Everything through 10E (.torrent, 3GB)
    10E through LRW (.torrent, 600MB)

downloading those two is taking FOREVER

Really? I got 300kb/s off them.

Anyway, what I'd like to do is have Saturday @ 1PM EST be a day for getting people set up with MWS, NetDraft, IRC, play a couple of games, that sort of thing. If you don't have experience with those tools, this'll get you up to speed. If you do have experience, you should stop by so we have enough people to test out a draft. oh god please do i love drafting so much

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shadowmoor draft?

I don't think the Shadowmoor cards are linked to from the main MWS site, but you can find them at http://www.slightlymagic.net/base.shtml.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i'll be at regionals saturday, but hopefully you guys have fun

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Really? man I keep looking over my Limewire settings but no, this download has been eeking along since the first post of this thread. LIKE TWO DAYS MAN>

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I'm sitting at 4/kb a second here.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    My download is going terribly slow as well.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I need to find a guide on setting this up, I swear everytime I've had it I'm doing something wrong.

trentsteel on