Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Getting into (better) shape in 30 days

Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Ancient Forum Knowledge
I have (a lot) of time off before school starts, and I'd like to loose some weight.

Mainly in my stomach, chest and (maybe) my leg areas. I would like some simple exercises I could do w/o equipment. Preferably something I could watch TV while doing (as to not get bored).

Also, I would also wonder if there are any good foods that are cheap, not *too* bad tasting, and low on calories while decently filling?

I'm not expecting to be rrrrripped or anything in 30 days, but if I could drop 10-15 or even 20 lbs, that would be awesome.

Magus` on

• liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User
    edited July 2006
    I don't think its possible to spot reduce.

From what I gather though, 5 smaller meals throughout the day, plenty of water.

Exercises without equipment? Jumping jacks, situps, rope skipping (not really expensive or anything).

• ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2006
    One thing that helps is to eat real food, as in food that's made of what it claims to be, as in beef that isn't soy and vegetables that don't come out of a can or the freezer. If you want to have pizza, don't buy a pizza, make a pizza. Put vegetables on it and if you put meat on it pick a light meat like grilled chicken over something like bacon or sausage. And definitely share it, girls love that shit. It'll taste better and it'll drop a hell of a lot less nastiness into your body, plus it'll actually fill you up without consuming so much. You will be contented with a meal that takes far less activity to burn off.

So basically buying ingredients and preparing your own food is one thing that helps. In the time frame you're talking about it's probably not enough by itself to drop 20 pounds, but you will be in better health and more easily able to get rid of weight and get into shape (which, incidentally, are not synonymous, so be careful not to treat them as such).

DAMM
    Drunks Against Mad Mothers
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    How much you lose is going to depend on how dedicated you're willing to be. I dropped 20 pounds in a month when I started working out/eating right, but it was a bitch, and I was fucking hardcore about it, plus I had a lot to lose.

Like others have said, you really need to go to 5-6 meals a day, as evenly spaced apart as possible. In order to lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit, one way or another. If you can knock your food intake down to 1800 calories (assuming you're male), there's a deficit right there, without any exercise. If you can get in a half-hour of intense cardio every day, that enlarges the deficit even more. The bigger the deficit, the more weight you lose.

However, you want to make sure you're losing the right kind of weight (fat). If you eat 2 900-calorie meals, you might lose weight, but gain fat, because your body decides that it needs to store energy, and the best way to do that is in fat, so it eats muscle. This is why you switch to 5-6 meals per day.

Your largest meal should be breakfast, and it should be healthy (even if you're not 100% healthy the rest of the day). Something like Total (or generic Total) with 2% milk (or, better, 1% or non-fat, but I can't stand non-fat), and a couple hard-boiled eggs. I wouldn't suggest going all atkins, but make sure you get enough protein. I usually eat a Lean Pocket Ultra Supreme Pizza for two meals a day (they're 200 calories, with lots of protein, and a significant amount of dietary fiber, plus they taste good). Vegetables, cottage cheese (Knudsen fat-free is quite good for fat-free, especially with fruit dipped in it), light yogurt, fish, and chicken are all typical health foods. Tuna is amazing for you, but if you eat a lot of it, make sure it's chunk light, and not albacore.

As far as exercise goes, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to build muscle while you're losing weight, you can do weight-resistance exercises; things like pushups, pullups (if you have a bar), dips (if you have a bar), and situps. If all you're looking to do is drop some weight, then you should stick with cardio, things like jumping rope, running, bike riding (or, if you like to watch TV, stationary bike riding; you can probably find a stationary bike on Craigslist, the classifieds, or a local thrift store for cheap), or even DDR. You should aim for a half hour of intense cardio as many days a week as possible, with a five-minute warmup, and a five-minute cooldown.

Oh, and in case this wasn't obvious, if you drink regular soda, stop. Immediately. Those things are like 120 calories apiece of pure processed sugar water. Switch to diet, or, better, switch to water.

If you want some more specific ideas on what to eat, I have a diet I adhere to that's worked great, so just ask.

• Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Well, I'm 6' 8" and (ATM) 240 lbs. My lowest I've been is 200, but I think I was a bit shorter then.

I can easily cut down my calories to below 1,800 (I don't think I get above 2,500 ATM).

And I suppose I can do jumping jacks and such. It's not the work that stops me, it's the boredom.

Edit - And give me the diet, sure. Just remember it's gotta be something I can do at a local grocery store.

Edit 2 - Also, my diet right now (if it helps) -

Normally I don't eat in the morning (hard to keep it down, been this way for awhile). I usually eat a large-ish lunch (perhaps a small pizza, a burger or two, or something along those sizes).

For dinner it's usually a small meal (let's say a TV dinner). I don't eat sweets excessively, though I don't skimp on them either. I enjoy fruits and vegetables, though I could easily fit more in, if needed.

• The ShepherdThe Shepherd Registered User
    edited July 2006
    You cannot spot reduce fat. That is a myth.

Try to sweat a lot when you do excercises.

A simple warm up routine to do in the mornings after you stretch out and stuff, you run in place for a minute, do push ups for a minute, crunches ups for a minute, jump squats for a minute, leg lifts for a minute, some shadow boxing for a minute (optional), and then repeat this routine 2 or 3 times. Maybe putting a short break in between each one. If you are just trying to lose fat it doesn't take much imagination to come up with excercise routines, just do something that keeps you active.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
    edited July 2006
    Magus` wrote:
    Well, I'm 6' 8" and (ATM) 240 lbs. My lowest I've been is 200, but I think I was a bit shorter then.

I can easily cut down my calories to below 1,800 (I don't think I get above 2,500 ATM).

And I suppose I can do jumping jacks and such. It's not the work that stops me, it's the boredom.

Edit - And give me the diet, sure. Just remember it's gotta be something I can do at a local grocery store.

Edit 2 - Also, my diet right now (if it helps) -

Normally I don't eat in the morning (hard to keep it down, been this way for awhile). I usually eat a large-ish lunch (perhaps a small pizza, a burger or two, or something along those sizes).

For dinner it's usually a small meal (let's say a TV dinner). I don't eat sweets excessively, though I don't skimp on them either. I enjoy fruits and vegetables, though I could easily fit more in, if needed.
    Holy crap.

Okay, when I said 1800 calories, I was assuming you were a normal human, not a half-giant. :P

Anyhow, I'm not sure, you may not want to come down to 1800 calories; something closer to 2000 might be healthier. It doesn't sound like you're all that overweight (though, if your build is naturally slim, you could be), so 20 pounds in a month probably isn't going to be doable in a healthy way.

One of the big things you can do is start looking at calorie content. One burger has a lot of calories. So does pizza. When you go shopping, make a point of looking at the nutrition facts. Same when you're eating out. Most fast food places these days have low-calorie, healthy options, like grilled chicken sandwiches, or, in Taco Bell's case, spicy chicken soft tacos.

Getting in the breakfast habit can be difficult. I'm rarely hungry in the mornings. That's one of the weird things with eating right: sometimes, it's better for you to eat when you're not hungry.

Here's what I generally stick to:

Breakfast, 8:30am: 1 bowl of generic Total (~1.5 servings) with 1% milk, 2 hard-boiled eggs. ~500 calories

Second breakfast, 11:00am: 1 Granny Smith apple, 1 cup of Knudsen fat-free cottage cheese. ~300 calories

Lunch, 1:00pm: 1 Lean Pocket Ultra Supreme Pizza. ~200 calories

Afternoon Tea, 4:00pm: 1 package chunk light tuna on saltines, ~300 calories.

Dinner, 7:00pm: 1 Lean Pocket Ultra Supreme Pizza. ~200 calories

Dessert, ~10:00pm: 1 cup fat-free light yogurt, 1/4 cup Grape Nuts (I put it in the yogurt; it's pretty good), ~200 calories.

Most of these things come in under my estimate, so I have about 150-200 calories to play with during the day, that sometimes I just don't eat, and other times ends up being junk food, and other times I'll have a slightly bigger dinner, like a small (<400 calories) helping of something that isn't that good for me; occasionally, even a hamburger with no bun. Hell, if I really wanted a regular, non-diet soda, I could have one a day, and still come in under 1800 calories. It's worth mentioning that I'm somewhat OCD, so this strictly-controlled, strictly-scheduled program works really well for me; you may very well need something with a bit more wiggle room.

You can actually hard-boil eggs ahead of time, and as long as they're in the refrigerator, they'll keep for a week. I usually boil 14 every Sunday night.

I get everything on this list from my local, small-town Safeway, so you shouldn't have any problems. It's all pretty easy to prepare, too. And pretty inexpensive if you stock up when things are on sale/buy in bulk.

• RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    don't try to lose 20 pounds in 30 days, it's is so unhealthy for you.

Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    20 lbs was just kind of estimate. Losing any weight would be nice, and it's something I plan to do past the 30 days.

It's just now is a really good time to start with the free time 24/7 and all.

I once lost 65 lbs (265->200) in about 3 months. Wasn't on purpose, though. Just stopped being hungry one day (I still ate, don't get me wrong) and before I knew it, I dropped a lot of weight.

It was really, really strange.

• ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Holy crap.

Okay, when I said 1800 calories, I was assuming you were a normal human, not a half-giant. :P

Anyhow, I'm not sure, you may not want to come down to 1800 calories; something closer to 2000 might be healthier. It doesn't sound like you're all that overweight (though, if your build is naturally slim, you could be), so 20 pounds in a month probably isn't going to be doable in a healthy way.

One of the big things you can do is start looking at calorie content. One burger has a lot of calories. So does pizza. When you go shopping, make a point of looking at the nutrition facts. Same when you're eating out. Most fast food places these days have low-calorie, healthy options, like grilled chicken sandwiches, or, in Taco Bell's case, spicy chicken soft tacos.

Getting in the breakfast habit can be difficult. I'm rarely hungry in the mornings. That's one of the weird things with eating right: sometimes, it's better for you to eat when you're not hungry.

Here's what I generally stick to:

Breakfast, 8:30am: 1 bowl of generic Total (~1.5 servings) with 1% milk, 2 hard-boiled eggs. ~500 calories

Second breakfast, 11:00am: 1 Granny Smith apple, 1 cup of Knudsen fat-free cottage cheese. ~300 calories

Lunch, 1:00pm: 1 Lean Pocket Ultra Supreme Pizza. ~200 calories

Afternoon Tea, 4:00pm: 1 package chunk light tuna on saltines, ~300 calories.

Dinner, 7:00pm: 1 Lean Pocket Ultra Supreme Pizza. ~200 calories

Dessert, ~10:00pm: 1 cup fat-free light yogurt, 1/4 cup Grape Nuts (I put it in the yogurt; it's pretty good), ~200 calories.

Most of these things come in under my estimate, so I have about 150-200 calories to play with during the day, that sometimes I just don't eat, and other times ends up being junk food, and other times I'll have a slightly bigger dinner, like a small (<400 calories) helping of something that isn't that good for me; occasionally, even a hamburger with no bun. Hell, if I really wanted a regular, non-diet soda, I could have one a day, and still come in under 1800 calories. It's worth mentioning that I'm somewhat OCD, so this strictly-controlled, strictly-scheduled program works really well for me; you may very well need something with a bit more wiggle room.

You can actually hard-boil eggs ahead of time, and as long as they're in the refrigerator, they'll keep for a week. I usually boil 14 every Sunday night.

I get everything on this list from my local, small-town Safeway, so you shouldn't have any problems. It's all pretty easy to prepare, too. And pretty inexpensive if you stock up when things are on sale/buy in bulk.

"What about second breakfast?"

"I dont think he's heard of second breakfast, Pip"

*thunk*

• The ShepherdThe Shepherd Registered User
    edited July 2006
    Magus` wrote:
    20 lbs was just kind of estimate. Losing any weight would be nice, and it's something I plan to do past the 30 days.

It's just now is a really good time to start with the free time 24/7 and all.

I once lost 65 lbs (265->200) in about 3 months. Wasn't on purpose, though. Just stopped being hungry one day (I still ate, don't get me wrong) and before I knew it, I dropped a lot of weight.

It was really, really strange.

I don't think a 20 pound drop will be immediately noticeable for a guy of your size unless you wear tight clothes or something. You have so much weight anyway as it is.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
  • stixs4321stixs4321 Registered User
    edited July 2006
    These are all suggestions for foods you can eat.

Breakfast:
    Shake; Scoop or two of protein powder, 2 bananas, cinnamon, vanilla(optional) with a cup of water.
    Shake; Scoop or two of protein powder, 1 cup of oats, banana, cinnamon, vanilla. Strawberries go great with oats in shakes, oats will offer many calories per cup(aprox. 400) which make them good if you need more calories at breakfast
    Toast with omega 3 eggs
    French toast; whole wheat bread, cinnamon, eggs, don't drench in dressing and its not as bad for you
    Oatmeal pancakes, never had them but I imagine they aren't too bad and probably really filling

Lunch/Dinner:
    Canned tuna with a bit of mayo and mustard sandwhiches
    Canned salmon with a bit of mayo, various spices you like sandwhiches
    Chicken sandwhiches
    Chicken breasts sliced really thin with lots and lots of fried mushrooms. Cook seperate then combine with teriyaki(don't put too much now) for a min or so. You could probably even just spice up the chicken and mushrooms, mushroom and chicken go good together
    Ground turkey sandwhiches. Fry up the ground turkey like taco meat(same seasonings). Delicous
    Pre-cooked ready to eat turkey breast sandwhiches
    Salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and use a bit of dressing
    Steamed veggies, carrots and brocoli are good
    Brown rice or whole wheat pasta, watch the serving size on the pasta

I reccomend you thinly slice chicken breasts when cooking them because they will stay much more moist.

Snacks:
    Almond butter sandwhiches or natural peanut butter(no sugar) sandwhiches
    Chicken, turkey sandwhiches
    Bananas
    Bread, the whole wheat bread I buy is great for snacking
    Raw almonds or walnuts are great, especially almonds

For exercises you should do a search on the forum. I believe its been posted multiple times what exercises can be done with bodyweight.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    So is the whole eat more meals with less food per meal to lose weight thing true? If so, I have to start doing that. Right now I eat probably two meals a day because of my crappy sleep schedule, and lack of decent food at the house.

Cronyx wrote:
    Also, it isn't representative of "my actual self" either. That's technically my LARP character.
    PSN: Fiatil
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Fiatil wrote:
    So is the whole eat more meals with less food per meal to lose weight thing true? If so, I have to start doing that. Right now I eat probably two meals a day because of my crappy sleep schedule, and lack of decent food at the house.

Yes. It has to do with hormones. Also, eating more often helps prevent diabetes (again all about hormones).

edited July 2006
    Fiatil wrote:
    I've tried two or three different diets, mainly starvation-style (eat 900 calories a day 3 days a week-type things). Never had much success.

Three months ago, I switched to what I posted above. Since then, I've lost 40 pounds. The effect is initially very dramatic (or, at least, it was for me); it's much easier to stick to than a starvation diet (since it seems like you're eating constantly), and it's much healthier than most types of diets.

What I've been told is that when you only eat one or two meals a day, it tells your body "I'm not going to be feeding you very often. Better store things up for later!" Your body stores energy via fat, so this slows down your metabolism substantially.

When you eat smaller meals, closely together, it tells your body "hey, I'm going to be giving you energy constantly. Burn that shit up!" It gives your metabolism a big boost.

The other thing I've been told that helps is a big breakfast, since you just went for 8 hours without eating, the longest time you go throughout the day. That's why my breakfast is twice the size of my other meals.

edited July 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Fiatil wrote:
    I've tried two or three different diets, mainly starvation-style (eat 900 calories a day 3 days a week-type things). Never had much success.

Three months ago, I switched to what I posted above. Since then, I've lost 40 pounds. The effect is initially very dramatic (or, at least, it was for me); it's much easier to stick to than a starvation diet (since it seems like you're eating constantly), and it's much healthier than most types of diets.

What I've been told is that when you only eat one or two meals a day, it tells your body "I'm not going to be feeding you very often. Better store things up for later!" Your body stores energy via fat, so this slows down your metabolism substantially.

When you eat smaller meals, closely together, it tells your body "hey, I'm going to be giving you energy constantly. Burn that shit up!" It gives your metabolism a big boost.

The other thing I've been told that helps is a big breakfast, since you just went for 8 hours without eating, the longest time you go throughout the day. That's why my breakfast is twice the size of my other meals.

Yeah, I think I'll give your's a shot. First I have to figure out just how much I hate tuna and cottage cheese.

Cronyx wrote:
    Also, it isn't representative of "my actual self" either. That's technically my LARP character.
    edited July 2006
    Fiatil wrote:
    Yeah, I think I'll give your's a shot. First I have to figure out just how much I hate tuna and cottage cheese.
    Substitute, man.

Also, if you're willing to shell out, they have flavored tuna in packets. The Hickory Smoked is particularly good, but the Lemon Pepper and Sweet & Spicy aren't bad, either.

Oh, and I double-checked on those Lean Pockets Ultra Supreme Pizza: 24 grams of protein per pocket. If you're not working out, two of those a day gives you pretty much all the protein you need.

edited July 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Fiatil wrote:
    Substitute, man.

Also, if you're willing to shell out, they have flavored tuna in packets. The Hickory Smoked is particularly good, but the Lemon Pepper and Sweet & Spicy aren't bad, either.

Oh, and I double-checked on those Lean Pockets Ultra Supreme Pizza: 24 grams of protein per pocket. If you're not working out, two of those a day gives you pretty much all the protein you need.

And if I am? What to substitute?

Cronyx wrote:
    edited July 2006
    Fiatil wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Fiatil wrote:
    Substitute, man.

Something with similar calories, that's low-fat and high-protein. Offhand, I can't think of anything (is whey protein non-fat?)

Do you like other fish? I think you can get decently-priced imitation crab meant (well, out here, anyway).

Oh, shit, chicken. You have to have access to some way to cook it, but it's great for low-fat protein.

edited July 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Fiatil wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Fiatil wrote:
    Substitute, man.

Something with similar calories, that's low-fat and high-protein. Offhand, I can't think of anything (is whey protein non-fat?)

Do you like other fish? I think you can get decently-priced imitation crab meant (well, out here, anyway).

Not a huge fish fan, but I don't mind crab and stuff. For a financial standpoint, I'm in high school and live with my parents, so no real bills to pay for. I've got a job, which pays fairly well but has shitty hours, so I'm lookin at like $150 a week. Imitation crab meat still within my budget? Oh, and my grocery store is a Walmart Supercenter (I live in Oklahoma you know, fun stuff.)

Cronyx wrote:
    edited July 2006
    Fiatil wrote:
    Not a huge fish fan, but I don't mind crab and stuff. For a financial standpoint, I'm in high school and live with my parents, so no real bills to pay for. I've got a job, which pays fairly well but has shitty hours, so I'm lookin at like $150 a week. Imitation crab meat still within my budget?
    I honestly don't know. I live on the coast in California, so I have a feeling it's going to be very differently-priced here than, say, Wisconsin.

I ninja'd in an edit about chicken, which I highly recommend. It involves more preparation than my other suggestions, but it is nutritious and delicious, both low-fat and high-protein.

edited July 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Fiatil wrote:
    Not a huge fish fan, but I don't mind crab and stuff. For a financial standpoint, I'm in high school and live with my parents, so no real bills to pay for. I've got a job, which pays fairly well but has shitty hours, so I'm lookin at like $150 a week. Imitation crab meat still within my budget?
    I honestly don't know. I live on the coast in California, so I have a feeling it's going to be very differently-priced here than, say, Wisonsin.

I ninja'd in an edit about chicken, which I highly recommend. It involves more preparation than my other suggestions, but it is nutritious and delicious, both low-fat and high-protein.

Oh well, guess I'll go check it out tomorrow. Hopin I can find some cheap decent stuff to eat.

Cronyx wrote:
    edited July 2006
    Well, I went out today, and bought a couple of the lean pockets (those things are pretty damn cheap, $2.30 for a box of two). Also picked up some Fruit2o (flavored water stuff) as I've switched to drinking nothing but water (figure that can't hurt) and plain water gets boring at times. Sadly the GNC in my town appears to of shut down (who'da figured in a small town in oklahoma?), so I couldn't find any Whey protein.

On the bright side, there was a box of Special K left unopened in my food pantry from when I used to eat it (let's ignore the fact that it says best if eaten before December 2004, it's vacuum sealed and smelled and tasted fine) and skim milk, so my breakfasts were set. We always have plenty of chicken laying about, and it shouldn't be too hard to get my mom to grill it for dinner.

For the exercise stuff, I went out and played tennis against a wall (damn thing always wins in straight sets), as I'm starting to play tennis for school next year, dad wants me to, and I figure it's good exercise. Ran a bit around the neighborhood, and I'll go do some pushups/crunches here in a bit.

Cronyx wrote:
    edited July 2006
    Fiatil wrote:
    Also picked up some Fruit2o (flavored water stuff) as I've switched to drinking nothing but water (figure that can't hurt) and plain water gets boring at times.
    Everything else sounds good. Just to check: Fruit2o is non-caloric, right? Artificial sweetener of some kind? Because if it's one of those Kool-Aid-type drinks, they're not much better than soda (pure sugar-water). An alternative would be Crystal Light, which is very low-calorie (about 40 calories for two quarts), and pretty tasty.

edited July 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Fiatil wrote:
    Also picked up some Fruit2o (flavored water stuff) as I've switched to drinking nothing but water (figure that can't hurt) and plain water gets boring at times.
    Everything else sounds good. Just to check: Fruit2o is non-caloric, right? Artificial sweetener of some kind? Because if it's one of those Kool-Aid-type drinks, they're not much better than soda (pure sugar-water). An alternative would be Crystal Light, which is very low-calorie (about 40 calories for two quarts), and pretty tasty.

Yeah, it's got nothin of anything except for 5 mg of sodium. It's just water with some artifical sweetener.

Google for justice: http://www.kraftfoods.com/fruit2o/productInfo.html

Cronyx wrote:
    edited July 2006
    Oh, question on the tuna, I looked in the cabinet, and hey, we have like 4 cans of chunk light tuna. I notice you said package of tuna, so is it alright if I just drain the vegetable oil out and eat it on crackers? Also, tuna seems to have a shitton of protein, this I did not know. Says 23% of the DV is the serving size, and there are 2.5 servings in the can.

Cronyx wrote:
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    One of the things I did about a year and a half ago was eat nothing but fresh fruit for one week (no canned or dried fruit; it had to come from the produce section), and drank nothing but water or maybe one cup of fruit juice per day. I'm not sure that I would recommend this, though. The idea is that over time, junk builds-up in your digestive tract. Our bodies can cleanse and heal themselves of almost anything, but we don't usually give them a chance to. By trying this diet, the idea was to allow my body to get rid of the crud that built up in my system. One week later, I was ten pounds lighter, mostly around the waist (I was even a belt notch tighter). I've seen variations on this, such as including fresh vegetables, going for ten days, etc.

Something to keep in mind is that this is not for everyone, and for some people can be downright dangerous. Your body needs sodium, and I can tell you by the end of the week I had a really bad headache and was very tired. After my first real meal (going to a Gaucho restaurant was probably not a great idea), I felt fantastic. I could feel that I had lost weight and the headache went away. But again, if you do anything extreme like this, use caution. I myself will probably not do it again.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Seize all dollars at once! Purchase all hotpockets immediatley.

edited July 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Tuna is amazing for you, but if you eat a lot of it, make sure it's chunk light, and not albacore.
    Any particular reason for weight loss, or just because of potentially high mercury levels? I really like albacore... :(

edited July 2006
    Fiatil wrote:
    Oh, question on the tuna, I looked in the cabinet, and hey, we have like 4 cans of chunk light tuna. I notice you said package of tuna, so is it alright if I just drain the vegetable oil out and eat it on crackers? Also, tuna seems to have a shitton of protein, this I did not know. Says 23% of the DV is the serving size, and there are 2.5 servings in the can.
    Really, you want tuna in water, because it's a lot less fatty, but the oil isn't going to kill you. I usually put it on saltines, personally. And the protein was the reason I was recommending it.

The daily value on protein, if you're working out, is really lowballing it; it's good to have a lot more than that.
    Dalboz wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Tuna is amazing for you, but if you eat a lot of it, make sure it's chunk light, and not albacore.
    Any particular reason for weight loss, or just because of potentially high mercury levels? I really like albacore... :(
    Nope, just the mercury levels.

FYI, I took a two-week vacation awhile ago, three days of which was spent with a friend of a friend who's a post-doc in maritime toxicology, specifically specializing in mercury content of seawater and fish. That is to say, he's probably one of the most qualified people in the world to talk about this, just so you know I'm not talking some herbologist or naturalist giving me a line of bullshit when I say this: if you are eating a lot of tuna, you need to be eating chunk light. The difference in mercury content is an order of magnitude, i.e. chunk light has one-tenth the mercury content of albacore tuna.

Is that to say you shouldn't ever eat albacore? Hell no. The guy was very quick to say the stuff was delicious, and he loved it. However, if you're eating 2-5 servings a day (that's 1-2 cans/packages), you really want to make albacore an occasional treat at most, and stick with the chunk light.
    Dalboz wrote:
    Cleanse your body of toxins!
    What, exactly, is this "crud" you're trying to get out of your body? Why don't your kidneys take care of it, like they take care of everything else? What is its chemical composition?

• InsiderInsider Registered User
    edited July 2006
    God lean pockets are so damn good.

Steam
    Sneaky..
    edited July 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Dalboz wrote:
    What, exactly, is this "crud" you're trying to get out of your body? Why don't your kidneys take care of it, like they take care of everything else? What is its chemical composition?
    Not necessarily the kidneys or the blood. It's to get the crud out of your digestive tract, although supposedly the inner lining of the intestine slough off everyday, so in theory it's impossible for stuff to build up. I just went a ead and tried it anyway, and it did work, but I don't recommend it unless you are very careful and healthy to begin with. Like I said, I don't think that I'll do it again.

edited July 2006
    Insider wrote:

Yeah, these fuckers are tasty. Why even make regular hot pockets when the lean ones taste so fantastic?

Cronyx wrote:
    edited July 2006
    Fiatil wrote:
    Insider wrote:
    Yeah, these fuckers are tasty. Why even make regular hot pockets when the lean ones taste so fantastic?
    When I listed my stuff earlier, I probably should've emphasized the Lean Pockets Ultra.

The only flavor I've seen is Supreme Pizza, but they taste good, plus they have fewer calories and substantially more protein than a regular Lean Pocket, plus 5 grams of dietary fiber, which is really good for you.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Dalboz wrote:

I believe he may be talking about what can build up in the intestines and the colon. I've also heard of a strange sort of bacteria. Its called candida and it seems to be caused by the very high amounts of very refined grains and sugars that we as Americans regularly intake. I've only briefly heard about it so don't take any of that as solid stone fact. But I think he may be talking about something along those lines. Or he could be talking about hard feces build up. I suppose the fiber in the fruits would take care of that if eaten for a week straight.

• ZernheltZernhelt Registered User
    edited July 2006
    Shogun wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Dalboz wrote:

I believe he may be talking about what can build up in the intestines and the colon. I've also heard of a strange sort of bacteria. Its called candida and it seems to be caused by the very high amounts of very refined grains and sugars that we as Americans regularly intake. I've only briefly heard about it so don't take any of that as solid stone fact. But I think he may be talking about something along those lines. Or he could be talking about hard feces build up. I suppose the fiber in the fruits would take care of that if eaten for a week straight.

But the lost weight probably wasn't because he was getting rid of this 10 lbs of built-up crap, it's probably more from starvation (you get a lot of carbs from fruits, but no fat or protein). And honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of the weight was gained back after the week was over.

I <3 boobies
    Wii: 5369-9438-3600-4256
  • johannjohann Registered User
    edited July 2006
    I have a few xls spreadsheets up w/google i can share with different body builder types of diets.
    ie something geared toward losing fat, keeping muscle and being generally well balanced.

I just started a new diet today for this competition season, so i can babble about diets for quite a while.

There is no sig!
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    johann wrote:
    I have a few xls spreadsheets up w/google i can share with different body builder types of diets.
    ie something geared toward losing fat, keeping muscle and being generally well balanced.

I just started a new diet today for this competition season, so i can babble about diets for quite a while.
    If anyone is interested I've also got a spreadsheet I use for tracking my diet which tallies up calories, total carbs, protein, fat, fiber, etc.

I've also got a BETA web based version of it at http://diet.bash-shell.net/. There are some display glitches due to crap DOM support for tables (yes, tables were right to use where I used them) and I don't feel like going back and recoding it for all div's at this point.

These tools don't have suggestions to eat, such as I believe johann is offering, they just allow you to track what you are eating in one easy to access, easy to read place.

edited July 2006
    johann wrote:

Please share. I'd like to see them. I went and scoured one of my local grocers for lean pockets ultra and came up with nothing. I'm going to keep searching. I'm considering Thanatos' diet but fuck waking up at 8:30 for breakfast. I'm goddamn lucky if I'm up at 10 am.

• NightholdNighthold Registered User
    edited July 2006
    www.bodyforlife.com

Works *wonders* when you actually follow it.

I dont recommend supps unless you really want to put on muscle, but follow the meal and exercise plan to a T and you will lose the weight.

A Player Of The Unplayables.
    edited July 2006
    So, I guess back to exercise, I have slight man-teets. They aren't that noticeable, but if I sloutch, they are a bit more pronounced. I haven't been in good shape over the last couple of year (stress of job leading to bad eating habits and no exercise). I also have love-handles (the fat deposits above the ass on the lower back). I really want to get rid of these. Obviously, spot reducing doesn't work and I just need to burn fat overall (although I've heard that no matter what the love handles are almost impossible to get rid of; why?). But are there excercises to help? I thought I read somewhere, although I don't remember where, that exercising the upper pectoralis muscle can help reduce the man-teets by essentially inflating/lifting the upper chest. But does this really work?

For the record, I'm 28 years of age, 5'11"-6'0", and over 200 lbs, I think. I'm not sure my exact weight because I don't own a scale, but I topped out at 220 lbs. I've lost weight since then by getting better control of my diet and some exercises every other day, mainly consisting of weights, push-ups, and crunches, although they hurt my back. Plus I'm now walking to work (3 miles one way and 3 miles home, so 6 miles every day), but I don't know what my weight is currently at. With those stats, any particular advice would be appreciated. Unless it's the same as what's been said, in which case just say so. :)