As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic - Bogey's Birthday

• Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    BAD JOKES
    not really no

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've heard the term shinigami in anime before, and it was always translated as "Death God" or "God of Death".

The smarter translators who actually knew how to paraphrase things in a way that made sense to normal people would translate it as "Grim Reaper" which is basically the same thing.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I've heard the term shinigami in anime before, and it was always translated as "Death God" or "God of Death".

The smarter translators who actually knew how to paraphrase things in a way that made sense to normal people would translate it as "Grim Reaper" which is basically the same thing.

If it's basically the same thing then what difference does it make which they use?

sarukun on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Blaket wrote: »
    Pkmoutl wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Shinigami-kun? Who names their kid Deathgod?

Incidentally, I am pretty sure I remember a couple who actually tried naming their child something like this: like they tried to give their child the actual name on his birth certificate.

The Japanese Government told them "No, please try again."

it saddens me that most civilized governments do this

and the US does not

Oh, come on.

That would stop people from naming their child things like Chlamydia Rose.

My wife also told me that she met a couple who were so stupid, they told her that their child's name was "Female," pronounced like "tamale." When she asked where the name came from, they said, "it was on the birth certificate, so we figured that was her name, Female."

When my wife told me this tale, I wasn't sure I was meant to laugh at it or cry for the sake of humanity.

I would laugh, because chances are if they are that dumb they should be able to kill themselves off soon and pose no further threat to the species as a whole.
    We wish... turns out, it doesn't work that way.
    id2.jpg

jwalk on
  • Options
    The NothingThe Nothing Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, fuck Bogey.

Bitches.

The Nothing on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This thread is going to turn into a Shawtheed discussion, isn't it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Whatchootalkinbout, Willeth?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

If it's basically the same thing then what difference does it make which they use?

Localization? Exact translations of phrases tend not to have the intended effect.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Keikaku.jpg

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    haha

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    Staxeon wrote: »
    Pkmoutl wrote: »
    No, they mistook the gender of the child for the name. Hence the name Female

FEMALE AS IN GIRL.

Plus, your child doesn't come ready-fit with a name, you actually have to name it yourself, and then they put it on the certificate.

No shit, really? They don't come out with a name like a fucking Cabage Patch Kid? And I know what FEMALE means.

What I mean is its not like they hand you a blank birth certificate to fill out. When you get it it has all the info, ie NAME, printed on it via the county clerk. They had to have given the nurse a name for the child prior to getting a birth certificate.

Hence I'm calling bullshit on your story.
    yeah, I vote for bullshit as well

Pkmoutl's bullshitting is well-documented

It's just his style. Pk's a taleteller, and I think that to him, tales seem better when they're true and personal. I approach things he says the same way I'd approach the Bible - probably not factual, but oftentimes interesting and insightful nonetheless.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fiz wrote: »
    Keikaku.jpg
    Funny, but not anywhere near the realm of what we were discussing.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    :...:

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Jimothy wrote: »

Localization? Exact translations of phrases tend not to have the intended effect.

Are you seriously suggesting that someone is going to see the words "Death God" and not understand what is going on?

Edit: Because calling a translation that utilizes a more familiar cultural icon "better" is entirely a matter of context and perspective.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Keikaku.jpg
    Funny, but not anywhere near the realm of what we were discussing.

Well there were no other topics that would allow that image at the time. Plus, that series has shinigamis in it and people were already protesting how the dub would butcher that the second it was announced the series was being dubbed.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That does look like a pretty shitty translation, though, Fiz.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's actually a photoshop, the original wasn't like that. Pretty disappointing, I know.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ideasfy6.jpg

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jimothy wrote: »

Are you seriously suggesting that someone is going to see the words "Death God" and not understand what is going on?

Edit: Because calling a translation that utilizes a more familiar cultural icon "better" is entirely a matter of context and perspective.

Well, "Death God" and "Grim Reaper" do suggest different images in my mind. If the actual thought was the latter, but the words used are commonly translated as the former, a translator might reason that it is better to get the intended thought across, depending on how much accuracy is needed.

As for the second part, of course that's true. Translations aren't definitive, there's always going to be some sort of localization bias, both because something will most likely be lost, or they may overcompensate in trying not to lose something.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It sounds better in cultural context. "Death God" is something that people understand, but "The Grim Reaper" is a much more recognized icon. We have a cultural context for him, whereas "Death God" makes sense to us, but isn't something we recognize.

Defender on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited June 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    ideasfy6.jpg
    this is japan

the guy was just in the hospital to get his tonsils out

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah but you have to pull them out through the anus, and the main anus was...busy.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's actually a photoshop, the original wasn't like that. Pretty disappointing, I know.

Dammit, that is disappointing.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Defender wrote: »

It sounds better in cultural context. "Death God" is something that people understand, but "The Grim Reaper" is a much more recognized icon. We have a cultural context for him, whereas "Death God" makes sense to us, but isn't something we recognize.

Right, but slapping a veneer of American culture on a Japanese cartoon isn't always the "better" choice.

From a stackin' the bucks perspective though, yes, most likely the way to go.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Defender wrote: »

Right, but slapping a veneer of American culture on a Japanese cartoon isn't always the "better" choice.

From a stackin' the bucks perspective though, yes, most likely the way to go.

I would agree with that only in the case where we assume that the audience either knows a little about Japanese culture or is willing to learn about it. From my personal perspective, yeah, you should use the exchange of films as a way to exchange cultures. That's really important. However, if you just want the audience to "get it" immediately without having to study Japanese culture, you should make the appropriate/equivalent western reference. It's just like subbing or dubbing. You're doing it for accessibility and ease of viewing.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

If it makes you feel better, I have seen fansubs that do that. It's like they hear one word that sounds really cool and that is used a lot in the series so they make the decision to always use the japanese version. Then the people who watch it get even more crazy and decide that anybody NOT using the japanese version of the common english word is a retard and will mock them about it.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    but you can't say absolutely that "Death God" or "Grim Reaper" is a better translation; it depends how close you want to stay to the original and how close you want to localize it

like, say I was translating the beginning of crime and punishment, where rashkolnikov is eating some borscht

If I really wanted to make it most accessible to American audiences, I might render borscht as "chicken soup" or something because that hould be the cultural equivalent and much more familiar to Americans. However, this strays from the original.

The question is just where that brightline is for whatever you are translating.

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    you guys arguing subs vs dubs in here

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Not only that, but ZeroFill posted a random out of context anime screencap

This thread is two steps away from being a G&T chat thread

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

Not only that, but ZeroFill posted a random out of context anime screencap

This thread is two steps away from being a G&T chat thread

Oh, I think it's past that point

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    sup G&T

wait

this isn't 2005 what

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well if we're going down that path we should talk about the live action dragonball (z?) movie

iChatImage54709324.jpg

Huh.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jamie Chung?

More like Jamie hung, amirite fellas?

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well if we're going down that path we should talk about the live action dragonball (z?) movie

iChatImage54709324.jpg

Huh.

I'll be there on day one to witness the train wreck

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

If it makes you feel better, I have seen fansubs that do that. It's like they hear one word that sounds really cool and that is used a lot in the series so they make the decision to always use the japanese version. Then the people who watch it get even more crazy and decide that anybody NOT using the japanese version of the common english word is a retard and will mock them about it.
    ~desu

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "He's probably just some otaku something something something."

-Did Faye just say Otaku in the english dub!?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "He's probably just some otaku something something something."

-Did Faye just say Otaku in the english dub!?

Yes.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is great.

Brolo on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jamie Chung?

More like Jamie hung, amirite fellas?