Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Suck it, Casimir

24567

Posts

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    That's what I find so frustrating about most mainstream science journalism. They take something that's actually quite interesting if you actually bother to understand it, but ignore the interesting details to conflate some meaningless hype that just leaves most of the public even dumber than they were before the article.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun Gornlord Interplanetary InsanitariumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can't read real science magazines, though.

    When they start getting into the real details, my brain goes completely numb because I really do not recognize something like 40 to 50% of the words they are using.

  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    Sure, you just need a Djinn to guide it.
    Yeah but if you had Felix or Isaac

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    then you could be stumped by a tiny row of stones

    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    That's what I find so frustrating about most mainstream science journalism. They take something that's actually quite interesting if you actually bother to understand it, but ignore the interesting details to conflate some meaningless hype that just leaves most of the public even dumber than they were before the article.

    This is why I'm cancelling my Popular Science subscription.

  • CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    That's what I find so frustrating about most mainstream science journalism. They take something that's actually quite interesting if you actually bother to understand it, but ignore the interesting details to conflate some meaningless hype that just leaves most of the public even dumber than they were before the article.

    This is why I'm cancelling my Popular Science subscription.

    send them to me

    PS is good bathroom reading material

    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    That's what I find so frustrating about most mainstream science journalism. They take something that's actually quite interesting if you actually bother to understand it, but ignore the interesting details to conflate some meaningless hype that just leaves most of the public even dumber than they were before the article.

    This is why I'm cancelling my Popular Science subscription.
    God, some of those mags also come across like love letters to various industries. "How to make your car burn twice as much gas and emit four times as much carbon because we fucking love the petroleum industry and will suck their dicks for meth!"

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Aw man, I just stumbled across a John McCain/George Bush tijauana bible

    FUCK

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
  • StraightziStraightzi The rock, the vulture, and the chain All that the proud can feel of painRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aw man, I just stumbled across a John McCain/George Bush tijauana bible

    FUCK

    Ahahahaha amazing

  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    That's what I find so frustrating about most mainstream science journalism. They take something that's actually quite interesting if you actually bother to understand it, but ignore the interesting details to conflate some meaningless hype that just leaves most of the public even dumber than they were before the article.

    This is why I'm cancelling my Popular Science subscription.
    God, some of those mags also come across like love letters to various industries. "How to make your car burn twice as much gas and emit four times as much carbon because we fucking love the petroleum industry and will suck their dicks for meth!"


    I fucking hate pandering to the stupid people.


    You tell them teleportation has been done, and unless you're making mice reappear 800 miles away they think its stupid.


    You fucking prole. they are transferring information faster then the speed of light. This is monumental stuff.

    twispandcatsbysigsmall.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Silmaril wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    That's what I find so frustrating about most mainstream science journalism. They take something that's actually quite interesting if you actually bother to understand it, but ignore the interesting details to conflate some meaningless hype that just leaves most of the public even dumber than they were before the article.

    This is why I'm cancelling my Popular Science subscription.
    God, some of those mags also come across like love letters to various industries. "How to make your car burn twice as much gas and emit four times as much carbon because we fucking love the petroleum industry and will suck their dicks for meth!"


    I fucking hate pandering to the stupid people.


    You tell them teleportation has been done, and unless you're making mice reappear 800 miles away they think its stupid.


    You fucking prole. they are transferring information faster then the speed of light. This is monumental stuff.
    exactly! there is some really fucking amazing research going on but so many people can't be bothered with actually trying to even begin to understand it and they get jazzed about the stupid shit, or about something that is exciting but completely miss why it's actually exciting

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun Gornlord Interplanetary InsanitariumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    God, I remember when I read about that.


    It was like my brain just turned off for like 5 minutes and had to reboot on account of the awesome.

  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wait what

    can someone link me to that

    we transferred something faster than the speed of light what

    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wait what

    can someone link me to that

    we transferred something faster than the speed of light what

    Wait, I ballsed that up.

    It wasn't at superluminal speeds.

    twispandcatsbysigsmall.jpg
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i was like what the fuck THAT IS HUGE

    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    that's what she said

    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • sarukunsarukun Gornlord Interplanetary InsanitariumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It wasn't?

    Where is the article, I remember something about teleports, dammit.

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Silmaril wrote: »
    wait what

    can someone link me to that

    we transferred something faster than the speed of light what

    Wait, I ballsed that up.

    It wasn't at superluminal speeds.
    I assumed you were talking about the possibility that quantum entanglement could be exploited to store and manipulate data.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    Silmaril wrote: »
    wait what

    can someone link me to that

    we transferred something faster than the speed of light what

    Wait, I ballsed that up.

    It wasn't at superluminal speeds.
    I assumed you were talking about the possibility that quantum entanglement could be exploited to store and manipulate data.

    I read a bit more about it, and it sort of is superluminal, but you still have to transmit some data classically, otherwise it doesn't work.

    Man, quantum physics is fucked up,

    twispandcatsbysigsmall.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun Gornlord Interplanetary InsanitariumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    See, I knew instantaneous teleportation of particles was going on there.

  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Its a right mind fuck.

    twispandcatsbysigsmall.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun Gornlord Interplanetary InsanitariumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "Remember everything we know about the universe?

    Well, forget all that shit."

  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • sarukunsarukun Gornlord Interplanetary InsanitariumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I get EVERYTHING about classical physics. I don't know how to apply it to anything, but I am high fiving Einstien like crazy and I have got his shit completely down pat.


    I understand the very teeny tiniest parts of the fundamentals of quantum. I read more than 5 sentences on quantum and my brain deactivates.

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    As Feynman once said, "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics."

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    I get EVERYTHING about classical physics. I don't know how to apply it to anything, but I am high fiving Einstien like crazy and I have got his shit completely down pat.


    I understand the very teeny tiniest parts of the fundamentals of quantum. I read more than 5 sentences on quantum and my brain deactivates.

    Quantum physics is basically "All that shit you wish could be done?


    We can do it"

    twispandcatsbysigsmall.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    I get EVERYTHING about classical physics. I don't know how to apply it to anything, but I am high fiving Einstien like crazy and I have got his shit completely down pat.


    I understand the very teeny tiniest parts of the fundamentals of quantum. I read more than 5 sentences on quantum and my brain deactivates.
    see the reason you have problems with quantum mechanics is because you're trying to make sense of it
    you just need to accept that's how it is even if it seems nonsensical

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I must be the only one in the world who doesn't get excited over this stuff.

  • sarukunsarukun Gornlord Interplanetary InsanitariumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    I get EVERYTHING about classical physics. I don't know how to apply it to anything, but I am high fiving Einstien like crazy and I have got his shit completely down pat.


    I understand the very teeny tiniest parts of the fundamentals of quantum. I read more than 5 sentences on quantum and my brain deactivates.
    see the reason you have problems with quantum mechanics is because you're trying to make sense of it
    you just need to accept that's how it is even if it seems nonsensical

    My brain cannot help but go "But *why*" and too often the answer is "we seriously don't even fucking know" or so dense and complex that I cannot comprehend it.

  • sarukunsarukun Gornlord Interplanetary InsanitariumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I must be the only one in the world who doesn't get excited over this stuff.

    Quite the opposite, I believe.


    I mean, this is a website for nerds.

  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I must be the only one in the world who doesn't get excited over this stuff.

    Quite the opposite, I believe.


    I mean, this is a website for nerds.

    And she is a girl.

    twispandcatsbysigsmall.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    I get EVERYTHING about classical physics. I don't know how to apply it to anything, but I am high fiving Einstien like crazy and I have got his shit completely down pat.


    I understand the very teeny tiniest parts of the fundamentals of quantum. I read more than 5 sentences on quantum and my brain deactivates.
    see the reason you have problems with quantum mechanics is because you're trying to make sense of it
    you just need to accept that's how it is even if it seems nonsensical

    My brain cannot help but go "But *why*" and too often the answer is "we seriously don't even fucking know" or so dense and complex that I cannot comprehend it.
    because that's just how it works dude :P

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I must be the only one in the world who doesn't get excited over this stuff.
    booty.gif

    <3

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    maybe girls just aren't supposed to be impressed by floating things and space travel

    I mean are there shoes in space, no.

  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Moon shoes, Sara

    bounce
    bounce
    bounce

    4484-7718-8470
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There are totally magnetic platforms in space, Sara.

  • Sara LynnSara Lynn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    America's Next Top Model Cycle 340: Mars Edition

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    of course there are shoes in space you big silly
    only they're space shoes which makes them inherently superior to non-space shoes

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    of course there are shoes in space you big silly
    only they're space shoes which makes them inherently superior to non-space shoes

    though they only come in silver.

    twispandcatsbysigsmall.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.