As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for some lines in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
There's a scene where 2 guys are talking to Deep Thought, which goes something like

Deep Thought: I'm the 2nd most powerful supercomputer in the universe.
2 Guys: Wait, aren't you the most powerful? We made you that way.
Deep Thought: Nope, I'm 2nd.
2 Guys: What's the most powerful? Is it XYZ?
Deep Thought: That is merely a pocket calculator.
2 Guys: Is it ABC?
Deep Thought: Do not trifle me with such blah blah blah

Deep Thought: No, I speak of the supercomputer which is to come after me, and in fact I shall create.

I'm looking for the exact dialogue related to the underlined bits, can someone help please?

EDIT: Doh what was I thinking. Sorry about that. Can a mod move it please?

Chrono Helix on

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • Options
    NavocNavoc Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    While this is indeed the wrong forum, here's the text you wanted:

"I described myself as the second greatest," intoned Deep Thought, "and such I am."
    Another worried look passed between the two programmers. Lunkwill cleared his throat.
    "There must be some mistake," he said, "are you not a greater computer than the Milliard Gargantubrain at Maximegalon which can count all the atoms in a star in a millisecond?"
    "The Milliard Gargantubrain?" said Deep Thought with unconcealed contempt. "A mere abacus--mention it not."
    "And are you not," said Fook leaning anxiously forward, "a greater analyst than the Googleplex Star Thinker in the Seventh Galaxy of Light and Ingenuity which can calculate the trajectory of every single dust particle throughout a five-week Dangrabad Beta sand blizzard?"
    "A five-week sand blizzard?" said Deep Thought haughtily. "You ask this of me who have contemplated the very vectors of the atoms in the Big Bang itself? Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff."
    The two programmers sat in uncomfortable silence for a moment. Then Lunkwill leaned forward again.
    "But are you not," he said, "a more fiendish disputant than the Great Hyperlobic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler of Ciceronicus Twelve, the Magic and Indefatigable?"
    "The Great Hyperlobic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler," said Deep Thought, thoroughly rolling the r's, "could talk all four legs off an Arcturan Mega-Donkey--but only I could persuade it to go for a walk afterward."
    "Then what," asked Fook, "is the problem?"
    "There is no problem," said Deep Thought with magnificent ringing tones. "I am simply the second greatest computer in the Universe of Space and Time."
    "But the second?" insisted Lunkwill. "Why do you keep saying the second? You're surely not thinking of the Multicorticoid Perspicutron Titan Muller, are you? Or the Pondermatic? Or the..."
    Contemptuous lights flashed across the computer's console.
    "I spare not a single unit of thought on these cybernetic simpletons!" he boomed. "I speak of none but the computer that is to come after me!"

Navoc on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "The Great Hyperlobic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler," said Deep Thought, thoroughly rolling the r's, "could talk all four legs off an Arcturan Mega-Donkey--but only I could persuade it to go for a walk afterward."
    The only person I could ever picture voicing this is Tony Jay. :(

SithDrummer on