As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Peer pressure as an argument technique

Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
A sort-of split from the abortion/Habitat For Humanity thread:
Bama wrote: »
Good lord, why are people so insistent that others respect their opinions? If you've been shown to be wrong and the person was "disrespectful" (I question what value this word actually has), you're still wrong. It's such a "poor me" appeal it's sickening.
There's really little reason not to be civil with someone. If you can't be persuasive without using inflammatory language and/or belittling those who disagree with you then you probably shouldn't be arguing.

This falls under the "don't be a dick" rule. Also, something about catching flies. Pretend you actually want to catch flies.

Vinegar is more effective at catching flies, actually.

I know what you mean, but sometimes people just need to be laughed at by a whole bunch of other people. Peer pressure FTW.

Not picking on WonderHippie specifically here, but I've noticed this sentiment popping up a lot in various threads, and I'm wondering why in the world people think its a good idea.

I mean, the urge to mock and/or scream at people can get overwhelming at times, BUT that doesn't meaning doing so is a good idea.

If you sincerely want to convince someone they're wrong, the fastest way to fail is to call them AN UNEDUCATED FOOL WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT AND PROBABLY FUCKS UNDERAGE PIGS. You get ignored at best, ranted at and used as an excuse to not change their mind at best. (Oh, X's supporters are assholes, I could never join THAT group).

"Peer pressure" is a useless tool. If you're right, so be it- but many situations the group is not right, and any attempt to apply pressure like this just makes it more difficult for the truth to be found.

Example: I was called for jury duty. The judge asks some basic questions at the start of the process. One of these was: "Right now, with no evidence presented, would you find the defendant innocent or guilty?"

I was the only person who didn't answer guilty. Granted, some of these jackasses were doing it to get out of jury duty, but a good portion were sincere- and shooting me dirty looks. And all through the trial, I had the same issue. Would you have preferred "peer pressure" or objective argument if YOU were the accused in that situation?

Phoenix-D on

• Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    1) Peer pressure does work; it's one of the most well known sociological factors on people in existence.
    2) It can work for good and for bad.
    3) There.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    1) Peer pressure does work; it's one of the most well known sociological factors on people in existence.
    3) There.

Truth.org.

Using peer pressure to cow someone into not being a necrophiliac or pedophile or pro-lifer has a good end-result. Are there better means? Yes. Does it make me feel bad as a person? Yes.

The other end also happens though, and obviously we're not fans of using peer-pressure to convince people to join the KKK.

It's a crude, but effective tool that's used by both sides of an argument. On the internet, or in real-life with friends, it's used a lot just because some opinions are too stupid to be easily dignified with a logical response. It just kind of makes you feel dirty to have to explain to people why opposing reproductive rights or fucking children is wrong. Things like that are so obviously wrong that it just physically hurts that people don't automatically know it.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Æthelred wrote: »
    3) There.

Often people give away to peer pressure simply because don't care enough for the argument that is being forced on them or are completely ignorant on the matter. It's still irritating though. The tactics of repeating some well known BS until everybody accepts it works too well. In many countries where 99.9% of the population pretty much haven't seen in person any other race but Caucasian white, peer pressure is the driving force for racist statements and "feelings".
    On personal experience,
    I'm more inclined to put it into the "Can do without" column.

zeeny on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sometimes views are just so backwards, cruel or reactionary that they need to be beaten back with a blunt instrument.

Rational fact-based argumentation is always to be preferred, but unfortunately you can't reach everyone that way.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Peer pressure works definetly. The problem with humiliating a person when they are wrong is the lesson they learn and will remember is your a dick not that you were right.

Good luck if you ever hope to work together with that person in the future.

Mr. Pokeylope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Sometimes views are just so backwards, cruel or reactionary that they need to be beaten back with a blunt instrument.

Rational fact-based argumentation is always to be preferred, but unfortunately you can't reach everyone that way.

Which segues nicely into Part 2: You can't peer pressure anyone over the internet anyway, they just flame you back, put you on ignore, get banned, or run away to an insular site where everyone parrots their views.

You can get away with it real life...in some situations. Which still doesn't mean its a good idea.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Which segues nicely into Part 2: You can't peer pressure anyone over the internet anyway, they just flame you back, put you on ignore, get banned, or run away to an insular site where everyone parrots their views.

You can get away with it real life...in some situations. Which still doesn't mean its a good idea.

I must contend with not being able to peer pressure someone over the internet as there are more than a few people who rely on the internet for social interaction to the point that it IS real life to them.

So, it's possible.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Seriously? You've decided that you are the guy who can decide what beliefs are valid and not? I'm really surprised to see Hippie, an outspoken athiest who I assume has received a lot of peer pressure to recant those beliefs, is not endorsing it to address his opponents.

Neaden on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Peer pressure relies on the fallacy that if everyone believes something then it must be true. So, no, it is a horrible tool for proving an argument. It can be persuasive, but for all the wrong reasons.

It doesn't seem like your example is actually talking about peer pressure though.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Neaden wrote: »

Seriously? You've decided that you are the guy who can decide what beliefs are valid and not? I'm really surprised to see Hippie, an outspoken athiest who I assume has received a lot of peer pressure to recant those beliefs, is not endorsing it to address his opponents.
    Everyone decides that they consider some beliefs valid and others invalid . . . and I'm perfectly willing to consider plenty of beliefs that I don't personally share as "valid", thank you very much. At the same time, I'm also willing to deem plenty of beliefs that seriously clash with my own as "invalid".

Obviously not everything I believe is easily promoted through "peer pressure". When unpopular and in the minority you have no choice but to do the best you can with reasoned argument. But when facing down reactionary hold-outs and other dead-enders, sometimes less "subtle" methods can be useful.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    CarbonNano TubeCarbonNano Tube __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008

What the fuck is this, of course there is peer pressure on the internet.

And on forums you carry a reputation, and if you don't conform to the clique you will be outcasted and you will be fucked with, sometimes for no reason at all. Look at D&D. These motherfuckers are xenophobic as hell.

CarbonNano Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

This sounds good in theory, until you hear what makes the definition of a "backwards, cruel or reactionary belief".

CarbonNano Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

And on forums you carry a reputation, and if you don't conform to the clique you will be outcasted and you will be fucked with, sometimes for no reason at all. Look at D&D. These motherfuckers are xenophobic as hell.

Effective peer pressure, then. I'm not arguing that you can't try, just that it doesn't change anyone's mind.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Effective peer pressure, then. I'm not arguing that you can't try, just that it doesn't change anyone's mind.

No, it changes peoples minds.

CarbonNano Tube on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

No, it changes peoples minds.

if tweens count as people

Skelly B on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Just read through the American Presidency threads.

CarbonNano Tube on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    "Whenever you find yourself siding with the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

Most peer pressure in D&D is in reality just band-wagoning as a means to one's own popularity - especially if they happen to be siding with some of the more popular regulars.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ege02 wrote: »
    "Whenever you find yourself siding with the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

Most peer pressure in D&D is in reality just band-wagoning as a means to one's own popularity - especially if they happen to be siding with some of the more popular regulars.

I'm with the "How the fuck can you apply peer pressure on an internet forum crowd?!!!"....wait......oh shit.....

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    zeeny wrote: »

I'm with the "How the fuck can you apply peer pressure on an internet forum crowd?!!!"....wait......oh shit.....

I am not going to get into details because I don't want to get banned. :|

ege02 on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So instead you're going to take potshots and then not defend them.

Some of the positions are, in fact, retarded and it's not even a matter of subjectivity. They should be beaten to death using whatever methods are available, rational or peer pressure or otherwise.

VishNub on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I think the most important aspect of peer pressure is, honestly, the elitism that sometimes necessarily comes with it. Not elitism in the way that Fox News uses the word, but validated elitism, like the kind that comes with experience and education beyond what the average on a given subject is.

There's a time for civility and rational discourse, but there's also a time when something just doesn't warrant a rational response. I'm just not going to put too much energy into debasing a completely insane idea. It doesn't seem worth trying to me. The very act of rationally approaching irrationality seems to give the irrationality creedence where absolutely none is due.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I think that applies to a lot of places, not just D&D. Being part of an out group is generally (exceptions abound) regarded as being undesirable.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    There's a time for civility and rational discourse, but there's also a time when something just doesn't warrant a rational response.

Then don't respond to it.

Not responding to an insane idea > responding to it with bandwagons of ad hominem.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    There's a time for civility and rational discourse, but there's also a time when something just doesn't warrant a rational response.

Not responding to an insane idea > responding to it with bandwagons of ad hominem.

I'm of the firm belief that you can't let shit just slip by unchallenged.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Silence speaks louder than words.

If you noticed, people on the Internet rarely admit that they are wrong. When you respond to a shitty idea, you are essentially validating it, whether you are agreeing with it or not. This is why not responding to shitty ideas is better than responding to them with venom.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I'm with you. Having a position of authority in a group when somebody says something outrageous and the person obviously lack the capability of understanding(not accepting, just understanding) the rationale of why (s)he's wrong is worth gold. Fallacies be damned.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I'm with you. Having a position of authority in a group when somebody says something outrageous and the person obviously lack the capability of understanding(not accepting, just understanding) the rationale of why (s)he's wrong is worth gold. Fallacies be damned.

That's pretty funny, because in D&D one is rarely in what normal people would consider a "position of authority."

Shinto once put it wonderfully: this forum is little more than a bunch of non-experts arguing about expert topics like they know shit about them.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Silence speaks louder than words.

In person it can. More than a few times I've simply titled my head and furrowed my brow at people. The internet operates differently. And since :roll: doesn't work anymore, there are other measures at our disposal.
    If you noticed, people on the Internet rarely admit that they are wrong. When you respond to a shitty idea, you are essentially validating it, whether you are agreeing with it or not. This is why not responding to shitty ideas is better than responding to them with venom.

I don't know if I buy this at all. On the internet, when somebody doesn't respond to, say, an ongoing altercation or discussion, I'd be willing to bet that the person on the other side of the argument assumes they've won.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

So challenge it rationally.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    edited June 2008

That's pretty funny, because in D&D one is rarely in what normal people would consider a "position of authority."

Shinto once put it wonderfully: this forum is little more than a bunch of non-experts arguing about expert topics like they know shit about them.

woa woa woa!!! I was talking real life here!

Edit: The fact that you could even assume I was talking about D&D is what's pretty funny.
    Edit2: And also, seeing an "expert topic" on D&D? Our definitions of expert may differ. Most topics that are discussed are pretty much "concerns for the masses" or random musings.

zeeny on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Enforced ideological conformity, policed by hostile forumers, is one of the things I really hate about all online communities.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    In person it can. More than a few times I've simply titled my head and furrowed my brow at people. The internet operates differently. And since :roll: doesn't work anymore, there are other measures at our disposal.

I don't know if I buy this at all. On the internet, when somebody doesn't respond to, say, an ongoing altercation or discussion, I'd be willing to bet that the person on the other side of the argument assumes they've won.

I'd rather have them think they've won a temporary victory than have them become even more entrenched in their (presumably) wrong position.

I mean I don't know. I've always thought that the only thing stuff like band-wagoning and ad hominems do is bring down the quality of discussions in D&D. Sure, you're pwning someone in debate. But most of the time you do it with such hostility and fervor that at the end of the day, you've got yourself nothing more than a locked threat that inevitably repops a month later because the original disagreements were not really resolved.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    zakkiel wrote: »

Honestly, I just don't think my time or energy is worth responding to crazy shit. Especially on the internet, I feel a need to let a person know that they're saying stupid shit, just matter-of-fact, and then move on to substantive stuff. In person, I'll wave a hand and giggle at stupid shit.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    Enforced ideological conformity, policed by hostile forumers, is one of the things I really hate about all online communities.

Pretty much.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm not really talking about ad homs. It seems that somebody's stupid can often be debased with little more than a sentence. My post that started this thread was in response to people getting riled up about Mai-Kero's derisive, but relatively short post that effectively debased a position.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Stupid people who agree with the majority don't get called out as often.

Stupid people who disagree with the majority get knocked out by the abuse.

Then smart people who disagree get tired of dealing with eight replies to each of their posts, six of which are by stupid people who agree wit hthe majority, and they leave.

Then we all get to talk about how Obama is awesome and pro-lifers are horrible horrible people. All the time.

Speaker on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Then smart people who disagree get tired of dealing with eight replies to each of their posts, six of which are by stupid people who agree with the majority, and they leave.

This phenomenon is exhausting. I've been on the wrong side of it before, and it sucks.

MrMister on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Honestly, I just don't think my time or energy is worth responding to crazy shit. Especially on the internet, I feel a need to let a person know that they're saying stupid shit, just matter-of-fact, and then move on to substantive stuff. In person, I'll wave a hand and giggle at stupid shit.
    If it doesn't warrant a rational response, it doesn't warrant a response.

Look, you're basically saying that you're free to abuse people whenever they say something outside whatever you consider the pale just because it would bother you not to. There's no sort of moral imperative to insult people. It does not make them smarter or more inclined to see reason. It makes them defensive and insular. And it sort of creates the suspicion that you don't actually have a well-thought-out reason for rejecting whatever they said, just reflexive bias.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Look, you're basically saying that you're free to abuse people whenever they say something outside whatever you consider the pale just because it would bother you not to. There's no sort of moral imperative to insult people. It does not make them smarter or more inclined to see reason. It makes them defensive and insular. And it sort of creates the suspicion that you don't actually have a well-thought-out reason for rejecting whatever they said, just reflexive bias.

I only really do this when somebody says something that is contrary to known facts. Racist and sexist beliefs, falsehoods about science, etc. I feel peer pressure is an important tool for the eradication of patently false ideas. It's not so much about argument or debate for me as it is about letting people know - and most importantly letting people that don't have a strong opinion one way or another know - that holding radical, stupid beliefs is not socially acceptable and that saying black people are inferior/evolution didn't happen/abstinence-only sex education is preferable/drinking bleach cures AIDS/any number of insane beliefs will get you justly mocked.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Stupid people who agree with the majority don't get called out as often.

Stupid people who disagree with the majority get knocked out by the abuse.

Then smart people who disagree get tired of dealing with eight replies to each of their posts, six of which are by stupid people who agree wit hthe majority, and they leave.

Then we all get to talk about how Obama is awesome and pro-lifers are horrible horrible people. All the time.

If you're dealing with a band wagon you can take the argument in two directions, one is just find the most legitimate reply and respond to that and ignore the rest. After the tards realize they're being ignored they'll move on. The other is to target the stupidest posts with the weakest arguments and lay into them. You run the risk of getting more hateful vitriol from others but it can also shut the one's you reply to up and hopefully attract someone willing to make a legitimate argument. Either way, given enough time the tards will give up and either start a legitimate discussion or just change the subject. They can also be fun in ways, because by the other side conceding the moral high ground it opens them up for some pot shots too and you know some wonderful hijinks are going to ensue.

Band wagons suck (especially if mods get involved) but if you're right and your logic is sound it isn't an issue. All it takes is time.

Sliver on