As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I cant figure out these abreviations (sry)

TheManWhoWasNotThereTheManWhoWasNotThere Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Critical Failures
i know i'm an idiot, but i cant figure out these abreviations like ooc (speaking here specifically of the role playing posts i know the regular stuff, you know what I mean). any1 care to splain? i know were not supposed to post any "im new" posts, but i mean, i'm not new to posting, just a little bit to role playing, and i'd really like to get into it but the only people that i know that "role play" (or at least they claim to) do so by playing max payne in marathon sessions. i'm talking REAL role playing. anyway any1 who could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated

TheManWhoWasNotThere on

• Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Threads labeled [OOC] are out of character, while [IC] is for strictly in character stuff - aside from that tag, they'll generally share a common name in order to identify what goes with what.

Aside from that, the only other labels are really to help identify topics at a glance - [DnD 4e] for fourth edition Dungeons and Dragons (dur), [Phalla] for the Phalla games that run here, and so forth.

If you're looking to be involved in a game, trying out the OOC threads is a good way to start.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i know the DnD stuff brands etc, but i dont understand the difference between in character and ooc. or I might, hold on is OOC like make your own character whereas ic is like the host makes them up? or am i way off? did i mention im not that smart when it comes to figuring things out?

TheManWhoWasNotThere on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In-character is threads where the game is actually taking place -- in-character threads tell us what the characters are doing.

Out of character is where the players who are playing the character talk about the game -- it's not necessarily relevant to what's happening in the game.

Just pick a game, and read the [OOC] thread and the [IC] thread -- you'll see what I mean.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Usually character creation takes place in the out of character thread before the game starts. In order to keep things organized for games, things like rules adjudications and asking the GM questions tend to go in the out of character thread (along with rolls in some games).

Because it's a pretty good example:

Here is Odam's OOC thread. We have questions, stat blocks, and general conversation in it regarding the game, basically.

And here's the IC thread for Odam. Only character actions and some dice rolls go in here.

As a courtesy, most people avoid posting in the IC threads unless they're one of the players or the GM themself.

edit: damn it, Salt, I was busy getting links. :P

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, HB provides links to support what I said. :p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    so, if i get this right, ooc means its like the just talk about the game section, versus IC is where the game actually takes place. like i said b4 i could be wrong, am i?

TheManWhoWasNotThere on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Nope, that's correct. IC is where the action is - OOC is where all the nerds are making jokes at the table. :P

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ok cool
    thx for dealing with my idiocy

TheManWhoWasNotThere on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Any time. (Oh, and welcome to Critical Failures - enjoy your stay. :lol:)

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And limit the number of letters used as words, for everyone's sake. :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
This discussion has been closed.