As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

500GB 32MB HDD or 750GB 8MB HDD for OS?

DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
Okie dokie, I'm planning to replace my current OS HDD. Its served me well, a 120GB IDE but I'm wanting to move up to SATA, partly for performance and partly because of the fact I need to reinstall Vista because when it installed it didn't remove the XP partitions made for the recovery and backup drives so basically I have a 50GB os that perpetually has less than 10GB free with apps, docs, photos and music. Considering how cheap they are I figure move to a 500 but while surfing found a 750 for only £10 difference.

The sacrifice being the cache.

Problem is I can't think what I'd do with 750GB (I know it won't be that much, i think closer to 680) of space. I could partition it for a game installs drive while still leaving tonnes of space for my apps, docs and music.

So basically the 750 I'd get for the sake of the cost to size ration, an extra 250 for £10 isn't bad. So I'm asking advice, the 500 wth the better cache and assumedly better performance or the 750 with 8mb cache?

DarkWarrior on