As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

apple is awesome let's talk about it

• MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Graves wrote: »
    I dropped my iPod into a glass of coke.

I wanted to open it to dry it.

So first my girlfriend tries, and she uses a knife to pry it and slips, cuts her thumb pretty deep.

I end up stabbing myself in the wrist with a screwdriver.

My mom broke the screen with some kind of jewelry tool.

What you should have done was put it in 95% alcohol to get all of the coke crap out of it

Then in a bowl of rice for a couple of days to get out the rest of the moisture

then try it

Monoxide on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    verizon phones don't have sim cards o_O

Usually they can just transfer data for you when you get a new phone. Doesn't take long either

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    cingular has used gsm for a long time

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    see my phone is a CDMA phone and it gets fucking awesome penetration in malls and parking garages and shit. Places I don't think I've ever seen a GSM phone work. The problem is the same problem mac faces with not having any software for it, it's not as widespread, even if it is better in a lot of ways.

Basically what I am saying is Apple just make a CDMA iPhone.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    eggorismgr4.jpg

Charles Kinbote on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    verizon phones don't have sim cards o_O

Usually they can just transfer data for you when you get a new phone. Doesn't take long either

I used to do this for a living!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I mean god damn

look at this shit

map_301.jpg

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    see my phone is a CDMA phone and it gets fucking awesome penetration in malls and parking garages and shit. Places I don't think I've ever seen a GSM phone work. The problem is the same problem mac faces with not having any software for it, it's not as widespread, even if it is better in a lot of ways.

CDMA basically sucks as a protocol and isn't used outside of the US

most CDMA phones can't even use data and voice connections at the same time

Monoxide on
    edited June 2008

i think it has more to do with the service provider

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »

CDMA is used a lot in Korea, as well

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    the cingular phone you were looking at was probably TDMA

which predates GSM and CDMA and is basically ancient

CDMA phones do not have sim cards

I think they do now. Sprint is CDMA, right? I know their phones have sim cards.
    you do? that's pretty crazy. show me one.

Faricazy on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited June 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited June 2008
    one of the benefits of verizon in washington dc at least was that verizon had signal repeaters installed in the subway tunnels so their phones were the only ones that worked on the metro

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

That was true a long time ago, but now CDMA, or rather, WCDMA once it's upgraded, is a far faster data transfer system. To the point where some GSM providers have had to start using it for data. My EVDO connection on my phone is almost as fast as my broadband at home. It's pretty awesome.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
    edited June 2008
    the problem is that in the US, CDMA providers take their sweet time rolling out new phones

verizon tries to put their stupid UI on everything

Faricazy on
    edited June 2008
    verizon has tv channels and shit on their phones now

got data transfer like crazy

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love Verizon. Also my Sansung Glyde

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited June 2008
    the problem is that in the US, CDMA providers take their sweet time rolling out new phones

verizon tries to put their stupid UI on everything

they did that for your typical stupid phone user so that when they switch phones they still know what they're doing

it is pretty ugly though

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wait

Charles Kinbote on
    edited June 2008

That was true a long time ago, but now CDMA, or rather, WCDMA once it's upgraded, is a far faster data transfer system. To the point where some GSM providers have had to start using it for data. My EVDO connection on my phone is almost as fast as my broadband at home. It's pretty awesome.

that's silly

who is your cable provider

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited June 2008

everyone has TV channels (except maybe tmobile? i think everyone stopped caring about tmobile). have you seen ATT's new service? On the Vu it more or less acts like a real TV.

Which brings up a question, will they make a TV app for the iPhone? With the SDK out I don't see why the heck not.

Faricazy on
    edited June 2008

everyone has TV channels (except maybe tmobile? i think everyone stopped caring about tmobile). have you seen ATT's new service? On the Vu it more or less acts like a real TV.

Which brings up a question, will they make a TV app for the iPhone? With the SDK out I don't see why the heck not.

I ain't had to deal with cell phones in a long time

verizon was just rolling out the tv shit when I left the company

looked pretty cool though

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited June 2008
    tmobile has shit that lets you switch from gsm to voip on the fly or something, don't they

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    tmobile has shit that lets you switch from gsm to voip on the fly or something, don't they

They will soon. They launch that as well as a 3g network this summer. The price is pretty damn attractive.

They also have the coolest phones.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    see my phone is a CDMA phone and it gets fucking awesome penetration in malls and parking garages and shit. Places I don't think I've ever seen a GSM phone work. The problem is the same problem mac faces with not having any software for it, it's not as widespread, even if it is better in a lot of ways..

This has nothing to do with GSM or CDMA and has everything to do with your phone and service provider.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    edited June 2008

They will soon. They launch that as well as a 3g network this summer. The price is pretty damn attractive.

what? no they don't. tmobile has some of the most boring phones. pretty much except for the sidekick they all suck. the wing is in need of an update.

Faricazy on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't even get why you are discussing "cool" phones based on provider.

Shit I will argue over which is better between Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG, Dopod, Blackberry etc... even the iPhone.

But why you argue over phones provided by a service provider is alien to me.

Vivixenne on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

actually we have that voip deal right now

it is pretty sweet

Centipede Damascus on
    edited June 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »

Shit I will argue over which is better between Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG, Dopod, Blackberry etc... even the iPhone.

because unless you want to pay a whole bunch of money for an unlocked phone, you are stuck with the phone selection your provider offers.

Faricazy on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

A) Different providers provide different services, for example I can watch the cricket on my phone due to my provider.

B) Different providers have different levels of coverage depending on where you are. I get around that as whenever my provider doesn't have service it bunny hops onto someone elses network and uses that.

I don't see any reason to argue who is the best network as mine is the best network.

Blake T on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I support meth

Lemming on
    edited June 2008

because unless you want to pay a whole bunch of money for an unlocked phone, you are stuck with the phone selection your provider offers.

this confounds me

I've always just bought whatever phone I wanted with whatever functionality I wanted, stuck a SIM card in with the provider I wanted, and BAM, away we go

Vivixenne on
    edited June 2008
    Blaket wrote: »

A) Different providers provide different services, for example I can watch the cricket on my phone due to my provider.

B) Different providers have different levels of coverage depending on where you are. I get around that as whenever my provider doesn't have service it bunny hops onto someone elses network and uses that.

I don't see any reason to argue who is the best network as mine is the best network.

No no, I get that.

I'm talking about the phone itself and what it is capable of doing.

Vivixenne on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

this confounds me

I've always just bought whatever phone I wanted with whatever functionality I wanted, stuck a SIM card in with the provider I wanted, and BAM, away we go

retail phones are really really expensive though

Javen on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    meth is great

you only gotta buy it once!

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited June 2008
    Javen wrote: »

this confounds me

I dunno, man. Between what I've seen in Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, and the Philippines, I sincerely wonder why retail phones in the states are so expensive.

And all these places sell massive varieties/models of phones, too. From the old to a little old and the brand-spanking new.

Vivixenne on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    you know what's awesome

math

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    no no no math is for queer fuckers

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Javen wrote: »

this confounds me

I dunno, man. Between what I've seen in Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, and the Philippines, I sincerely wonder why retail phones in the states are so expensive.

And all these places sell massive varieties/models of phones, too. From the old to a little old and the brand-spanking new.

they're so expensive retail so signing up for a 2 year contract and getting the phone cheap looks so much more appealing

I thought you had a business degree or something

Javen on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey Jim remember that time we were talking about set theory

good times, good times

Tossrock on
    sig.png