As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Show hidden files and folders" not working

LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
Yo dudes,

Having a problem with a PC here at work (which is a PC build/repair place). One of our PCs that we mainly use for backup/restoring will not allow me to see hidden files or folders. I do the following:

My Computer->Folder Options->View and check the Show Hidden Files and Folders radio button. I click apply, and the My Computer window refreshes. Then I click OK, and it refreshes again, and if I open folder options again Show Hidden Files and Folders is switched off again. Same thing for Show Protected Operating System Files or whatever it is. It just won't stay on.

A quick google took me here and I've tried all those methods and made the following discovery re Method 2: I can change the CheckedValue key's value to 1, but once I try to turn on Show Hidden Files again, the value reverts back to 0 unbidden.

I've czeched for malware and whatnot with Spybot, and it hasn't found anything, and also this is a pretty fresh install of Windows so I've no idea what could be doing this.

Any ideas?

LaCabra on

• Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Could it be a group policy being applied?

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wouldn't think so. How would I czech that?

LaCabra on
  • Options
    deke55555deke55555 regular
    edited June 2008
    You'd look for the relevant setting in local policy on the computer or group policy on active directory.

However, in my experience, when something is set in policy, the checkbox gets greyed out.

deke55555 on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    are you logged on as admin.

If admin rights are locked you will have to be signed in as admin to view hidden files

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yes, logged in as admin, no, it's not a group policy.

Some further Googling led me to the conclusion that it's this Ravmon virus thing, which is mostly gone but still has this irritating effect. Renders the machine pretty useless for work so I'll probably just reinstall.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    kurnkurn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I came across a couple computers recently that were doing this. It was caused by a virus they had picked up from an infected USB drive. Ended up having to just format and reinstall Windows on them.

kurn on