As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games go out, Cash comes in...

Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
As opposed to a lot of folks that I have seen on this board. I'm a regular seller of my old games that I am not playing any more. Ebay is my usual channel for both the buying and selling of games (PC Games). This usually allows me to expand my gaming dollar a lot further (something that is important to me as my gaming time becomes more and more limited as I age).

However, I recently got myself an XBox 360 Elite (with Dead Rising and Rainbow Six:Vegas) and one controller for 120 Dollars. Im not going to fool myself and say that I am going to keep this thing forever as I would rather use the profit I can make from selling it to finally get this PC out of AGP video card world. I guess what I'm looking for is Recommendations for Xbox 360 Games that are 360 exclusives and are not likely to ever hit the PC. I already plan on picking up GTA 4 (not because I don't think it will come to PC, but because I want to play it before next year).

All the final result of this will be (Hopefully), I will end up having played my 360 to milk some entertainment value out of it before turning a nice profit (most likely near the beginning of December).

steam_sig.png
Edgler Vess on

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not to change the subject here, but how did you get an Elite with DR and Rainbox Six for $120?

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Not to change the subject here, but how did you get an Elite with DR and Rainbox Six for $120?

He sounds like he knows how to shop around. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    OP sounds like he's only interested in making money off of the things he buys. In which case, http://www.careerbuilder.com

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Friend of a Friend needed the money for something or other, and Ive been looking for a 360 to play and then sell. The profit from this is just a coinicedence.

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, your entire mindset is alien to me. I could never consider selling my old systems and the thought of selling my new ones wouldn't even enter my head. Not saying you're wrong or you should keep them because that's just my opinion, I'm just amazed that people actually do that sort of thing. The only thing I would consider an upside to selling my stuff would be freeing up space in my house. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Either way, I'm going to second the curiosity regarding how you managed to get all that for $120.

Triple B on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited June 2008
    Kameo
    Perfect Dark Zero

Opium on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks Opium, ill look those two games up as Ive never heard of either of them.

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Just did a little research on those two games Opium said, gonna get those for sure, look like something Ive never played before (Kameo) or something I have minimal exposure to (Rail Shooter). Thanks again

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was pretty sure PDZ and Kameo were joke answers.

Ace Combat 6,
    Halo 3,
    Crackdown
    Forza 2
    Bully 360

Coming out this year
    Too Human
    Gears of War 2
    Fable 2
    Soul Calibur IV
    Resident Evil 5

Rook on
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    I was pretty sure PDZ and Kameo were joke answers.
    Coming out this year
    Too Human
    Gears of War 2
    Fable 2
    Soul Calibur IV
    Resident Evil 5

If the past is any indication:
    Gears of War 2, Resident Evil 5, and Fable 2 may come out on the PC eventually.
    (Whether or not they will be any good on the PC is a whole different discussion)
    Resident Evil 5 is also a 2009 title.

Serule on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    in case it's not clear already, you should probably avoid PDZ and Kameo

you've already got Dead Rising, which is excellent for you. It would have been my immediate suggestion.

Captain K on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought on the last 1up yours podcast they were saying the rumoured date is back to end of 2008 for RE. And whilst I'd love to see it on PC... well we did get SFIV. Fingers crossed.

Rook on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nothing too wrong with PDZ and Kameo, and they are two of the very few games that have zero chance of appearing on either PC or PS3.

Along with Dead Rising.

In fact you might as well just off load it after you're done with DR and GTA IV.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    In response to XoB, and directed to the OP, there's definitely something to be said for playing games on the 360 as opposed to the PC if, as you say, your PC is behind the times. The PC ports have the potential to look better, of course, but they're still guaranteed to look damn good on the 360, and you don't have to worry about upgrading.

In your place I'd just ravage Blockbuster or its equivalent for a month or two, play all the games you want to play, and then unload the console and the games you got with it.

Captain K on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited June 2008
    Nothing too wrong with PDZ and Kameo, and they are two of the very few games that have zero chance of appearing on either PC or PS3.
    Exactly. That's why I posted them.

They both have > 80% on GameRankings so I don't know why some people here are acting like I recommended Barbie's Horse Adventures.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/516508.asp

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/516505.asp

Opium on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm going to go and recommend Condemned 1 and 2. The first one came out for PC, but if you didn't pick it up it'll probably be a lot easier to find for 360.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fuck that, I thought Kameo was an awesome introduction into the next-gen. I'd definitely reccommend that one to a new player.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    In your place I'd just ravage Blockbuster or its equivalent for a month or two, play all the games you want to play, and then unload the console and the games you got with it.

I like this idea a lot, and as far as PDZ and Kameo I may check them out reguardless of whether it was a joke recommendation or not (they seem to have gotten decent rating). Halo 3 is probably the only recommendation Ill get that I wouldn't seriously consider....unless....hey wait.....I never owned an original Xbox is my 360 going to be Backwards compatible? I could play the whole Halo series (have never played any of the SP Halo and just dabbled with MP on a buddies counsel) Ive just always struggled with FPS with a gamepad and perfer a mouse and keyboard.

Oh and I never thought of Bully, good call, is that "Renter" or a "buyer"....(If that makes sense).

As far as keeping the 360 and abandoning PC gaming, its not going to happen, ive tried several counsels In the past and I always end up bailing out and using the money to upgrade....and Ive never been sorry, nothing personal of course I just prefer to play my games on a PC. I am glad Ill have this opportunity to play some 360 games without losing a bundle of cash in the process. I tried to rent a 360 ahwile back ago like they used to do with the Saturn and whatnot. The lady at the blockbuster looked at me like I was insane...."we haven't rented decks out in like 7 years"....

Thanks for all the polite replies, keep them coming, some good stuff here that I hadn't thought of, going to save this thread after its burned out and use the recommendations until I feel like ive got my Ultimate Value out of the 360.

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Seriously, renting console games is a great way to play a lot of them cheaply and easily. Anything that mainly (or only) consists of a <20 hour single-player component is probably best rented and returned. Assassin's Creed is a great example: I loved the game, but I wish I had just rented it rather than bought it. Once I beat it there wasn't much reason to ever put it in the console again--I'm just going to wait until I feel like playing through it a second time and then decide whether to resell it or keep it.

Captain K on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    re: backwards compatibility

MS keeps a list of oxbox games that work in the 360. Keep in mind that BC isn't always perfect; sometimes there are framerate drops or bad stuttering, but for the most part they all play pretty well.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    When I got my 360 I was super-excited about the prospect of catching up on the OXbox's library of must-play games, but then I realized that there just weren't that many must-play games on the OXbox. There's a few great ones, for sure, but a lot of them have been ported to the PC and unquestionably look much better on the PC.

Still, it's worth checking out the BC list and seeing if any of the big-name Xbox titles like KOTOR or Ninja Gaiden seem attractive to you.

Captain K on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for all the polite replies, keep them coming, some good stuff here that I hadn't thought of, going to save this thread after its burned out and use the recommendations until I feel like ive got my Ultimate Value out of the 360.

If you're not much of a console gamer, I'd echo Captain K's suggestion of just attacking Blockbuster until you've gotten your fill. There's nothing wrong with playing the first half of a game and saying "well, rental time is up, I'll go get a new game," leaving the game unfinished if you're not really diggin' it.

My lifestyle is busy enough that I pretty much have to buy games, as it can take me a lot of time to go through a game I really enjoy. Took me like a month to go through Uncharted on PS3, which is not a long game and has no multiplayer.

But if you just want a taste of good 360 games, definitely hit up a local rental shop and just sample stuff in this thread, or check out demos. If you're really digging the game on the 360, controller & all, then pick it up or rent it. If you're not, then don't worry about it.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Along with Dead Rising.

In fact you might as well just off load it after you're done with DR and GTA IV.
    Then he'd be missing a bunch of other good games! This is pretty shitty advice.

Ace Combat
    Forza 2
    Halo 3
    Crackdown
    PGR4

And if you're -gasp- willing to play games that are on other consoles, there are tons of games that are best played on 360.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited June 2008
    When I got my 360 I was super-excited about the prospect of catching up on the OXbox's library of must-play games, but then I realized that there just weren't that many must-play games on the OXbox. There's a few great ones, for sure, but a lot of them have been ported to the PC and unquestionably look much better on the PC.
    Truth. Actually I was just thinking about that and I have a pretty hard time coming up with a single oXbox exclusive that one could call a "musthave". Every musthave is pretty much also available on PC or PS2/GC.

Opium on
  • Options
    Crack_ShotCrack_Shot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    Actually I was just thinking about that and I have a pretty hard time coming up with a single oXbox exclusive that one could call a "musthave". Every musthave is pretty much also available on PC or PS2/GC.

Ahem.

panzerDragoonOrta.jpg

250px-JetSetRadioFuturebox.jpg

Crack_Shot on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also Otogi 1 and 2, which MS still hasn't got around to making BC the lazy jerks!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Earth Defense Force 2017

Blow up giant alien ants with rocket launchers in a fully destructible city. Nothing more needs to be said.

In fact I'll just prelime this for the next persons convenience.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    in case it's not clear already, you should probably avoid PDZ and Kameo

you've already got Dead Rising, which is excellent for you. It would have been my immediate suggestion.

Kameo was actually a really solid game.

Accualt on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is going to sound crazy, but the XBOX Buffy the Vampire Slayer game is really, really good. I don't know if you're in to action/adventure games or not, but it's definitely great and can be found for very cheap. It's going on ebay for under $10. Also, here's the obligatory comic.

20020902h.gif

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png