As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DS/GBA games with hotseat play

LorkLork Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
I have a DS, but none of my friends do. Simple enough. Are there any good multiplayer games that can be played on a single DS?

Steam Profile: Lork
Lork on

• BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lork wrote: »
    I have a DS, but none of my friends do. Simple enough. Are there any good multiplayer games that can be played on a single DS?

Mario Golf: Advance Tour (GBA)
    Worms: Open Warfare 2 (DS)

Don't know how easy/hard it is now to find Mario Golf, but you can get Worms for $10 at Gamestop.com

Also, if you can stretch the definition a little, you can play for the highest score in games like Pac-Man Collection and Wario Ware Inc. (and that has some simultaneous 2-player on one system as well.), both for GBA. On DS, there's puzzle games like Meteos and Tetris DS, and SHMUPs like Nanostray 1 and 2.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • NavocNavoc Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I know Advance Wars 2 had hotseat play. I imagine all the others in the series do as well (though I am unsure).

Navoc on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Navoc wrote: »
    I know Advance Wars 2 had hotseat play. I imagine all the others in the series do as well (though I am unsure).

All of the AW games have hotseat.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does Age of Empires have hotseat? I heard it went turnbased for the DS version.

Frem on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks. I'll see if I can find Advance Wars or Worms anywhere nearby.

Lork on
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't think GBA games can be played multiplayer on the DS.

Edit: never mind

Saddler on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've had friends passing around a DS as well as a GBA with Advance Wars, its good fun.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    Does Age of Empires have hotseat? I heard it went turnbased for the DS version.

yes and yes.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Worms: Open Warfare 2 has been mentioned, but I feel the need to mention it again and note that it's actually very good. At last, a portable version of Worms good enough to approach the greatness of Armageddon.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't think I've ever tried, but is the DS smart enough to conduct single-pak GBA play over its wireless connection? I'd assume no, but it'd be pretty neat if it did.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nope

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Why haven't they made a Civilization for the DS yet? It'd be a license to print money.

Lork on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Civilization Revolution comes out soon, and it should be good. It's allegedly exactly the same as the new 360 Civ only with downgraded graphics, and I was really digging the 360 demo.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wario Ware (at least the first one, and I think Twisted as well).

The first one with the games the first controls with L and the second player with R. Fun times.

RockinX on
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait Worms on the DS has HOTSEAT?!? I thought you had to have 2 DSs to play 2 player.

Sharp10r on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Every single Worms game ever made has had hotseat, even if they also have LAN or wifi play. Why would the DS version be any different?

Frem on
    edited June 2008
    That's what I thought. I must not have looked at the menu screen close enough when I started it up yesterday (I just bought it). Under Multi-player the 2 options (If I recall) were Single card and multi-card play, no hotseat. I was pretty disappointed but didn't have too much time to mess around. I'm so glad I just missed the option!

Sharp10r on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's not under multiplayer, you just start a normal match. Some of the teams are designated as human teams and some as A.I., so just choose multiple human teams.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited June 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    It's not under multiplayer, you just start a normal match. Some of the teams are designated as human teams and some as A.I., so just choose multiple human teams.
    :^: Thanks. I started it up last night before bed after posting, and was confused because I STILL couldn't find it. Good stuff.

Sharp10r on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    At the risk of de-railing this thread, how does that worms game stack up compared to say the 360 worms? (the only worms game i've ever played, i do love it though)

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wario Ware also has some hotseat functionality, both the GBA ones and the DS one. Touched actually has a pretty neat one where you both hold the DS at the same time and play ping-pong between the screens.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    [strike]I'm pretty sure Metroid is single cart, great game if you're into FPS adventures.[/strike]

I guess it really isn't single cart.

Waka Laka on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zephos wrote: »
    At the risk of de-railing this thread, how does that worms game stack up compared to say the 360 worms? (the only worms game i've ever played, i do love it though)

The DS version of Open Warfare 2 is easily the better game.
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Metroid is single cart, great game if you're into FPS adventures.

You still need multiple systems. This thread is about single system hotseat play.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm pretty sure Metroid is single cart, great game if you're into FPS adventures.

You still need multiple systems. This thread is about single system hotseat play.

It's single cart only? Ok, sorry my bad.

Waka Laka on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It's single cart only? Ok, sorry my bad.
    No, Metroid is single cart (send the game to other DSs that don't have it and play with them), multi cart (play locally with other people who have the game) and online (play over the internet).

What it isn't is local hotseat, where you would pass the one DS around among all the players. How would that even work for an FPS? :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited June 2008
    What it isn't is local hotseat, where you would pass the one DS around among all the players. How would that even work for an FPS? :)

Yeah I fucked up bad, I was thinking more along the lines of "games on single carts that multiple users can share" not "Single games that you can pass around for scores and such"

I'm spergin' is all

Waka Laka on