Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    Woo. Finished the Crippled God today. Pretty good conclusion. I'll probably make some posts about my thoughts on the series as a whole in the next several days, but it certainly was a fun ride.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/q8zyv/hello_reddit_i_am_steven_erikson_please_ask_me/

It's currently still ongoing, he's taking a break from answering, but seems hellbent on addressing every single post in the thread, so if you want your questions, get 'em in while it's hot.

sig.gif
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Something I've always wondered!
    There's a fair mix of game characters and novel characters. I think I've given brief lists in other interviews, but for the main ones: I was Dancer and Cam was Kellanved (though in the game he called himself Dr Wu): I was Anomander and Caladan and Cam was Whiskeyjack, K'azz, Greymane. I was Kruppe and Rallick; Cam was Baruk and Coll. A bunch of guys got in on things later, making up Fiddler's squad in the Bonehunters (barring Corabb and Cuttle). A good friend was Karsa Orlong and went through the hell that was Book One in House of Chains.

sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    So finished reading Orb Sceptre Throne and im kind of underwhelmed. There will be spoilers
    I'll start with things I like:
    Picker Blend and the other people at Kruls Bar. there always entertaining and some of my favourite characters.
    Spoiler:
    Studious Lock. He's funny in a Tehol/Bugg way, constantly coming up with potions for things that are't needed.
    Raest is still good, still has Fluffy the cat
    The Moranth. They just get shit done, we find out why in one of the earlier books someone said the treaty with them is breaking down.
    Spoiler:
    Also why they developed bombs and its not just because
    Spoiler:
    Seguleh versus Seguleh fight
    Spoiler:

Now things I didn't like:
    The new Tyrant of Darujhistan and his magical teleporting minions manage to
    Spoiler:
    Teleporting.
    Spoiler:
    The main bad guy of the book starts off pretty menacing but at the end
    Spoiler:
    Lady Envy just hanging around in Daujhistan
    Spoiler:
    Most of the Seguleh bits, they are verging into invincible badasses beyond belief.
    Spoiler:
    Speaking of the Seguleh I thought they already had a 2nd (granted he was undead) and a 3rd (who was still alive) and the revelation that there
    Spoiler:
    But the book leaves a whole bunch of questions and changes some things.
    Whats going to happen with Orchid
    Spoiler:
    About the bad guy
    Spoiler:
    Whats the deal with the silver metal
    Spoiler:
    where did it come from again never been mentioned before.
    Why are the Rhyvi now suddenly a horse based culture like mongols when previously they weren't.
    Kruppe
    Spoiler:
    Humble Measure.
    Spoiler:
    Vorcan
    Spoiler:
    Leoman and his constant my mustache brings all the girls to the yard,

Doesn't come out until May 22 in the States, I'll be able to discuss it then.

I am slowly catching up to the Tor reread. I'm near the end of Memories of Ice.
    Spoiler:

The Tor reread is really good. Each post is 1 chapter, they give a synopsis, then a newbie reader's reactions along with a veteran reader's reactions and analysis. The comments are generally pretty good too. They've managed to have a Q&A with Erikson at the end of each book, too. It slows down my reading speed to alternate between the book and the blog, which helps things sink in better. I normally read Malazan books pretty fast, which doesn't work real well for remembering everything.

GaryO wrote: »
    So finished reading Orb Sceptre Throne and im kind of underwhelmed. There will be spoilers

Just finished it on my vacation. I rather enjoyed it, and found it to be ICE's most consistent offering, but I appear to be easily pleased with these things. :P

I'll start with things I like:
    Picker Blend and the other people at Kruls Bar. there always entertaining and some of my favourite characters.
    Spoiler:
    Studious Lock. He's funny in a Tehol/Bugg way, constantly coming up with potions for things that are't needed.
    Raest is still good, still has Fluffy the cat
    The Moranth. They just get shit done, we find out why in one of the earlier books someone said the treaty with them is breaking down.
    Spoiler:
    Also why they developed bombs and its not just because
    Spoiler:
    Seguleh versus Seguleh fight
    Spoiler:

Agreed across most of the stuff - I really enjoyed basically everything having to do with the Seguleh or the Moranth, bar none.

Now things I didn't like:
    The new Tyrant of Darujhistan and his magical teleporting minions manage to
    Spoiler:
    Teleporting.
    Spoiler:
    The main bad guy of the book starts off pretty menacing but at the end
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Lady Envy just hanging around in Daujhistan
    Spoiler:
    Most of the Seguleh bits, they are verging into invincible badasses beyond belief.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Speaking of the Seguleh I thought they already had a 2nd (granted he was undead) and a 3rd (who was still alive) and the revelation that there
    Spoiler:
    But the book leaves a whole bunch of questions and changes some things.
    Spoiler:
    Whats going to happen with Orchid
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    About the bad guy
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Whats the deal with the silver metal
    Spoiler:
    where did it come from again never been mentioned before.
    Spoiler:

Why are the Rhyvi now suddenly a horse based culture like mongols when previously they weren't.

They were always nomadic herders, and there are plenty of references to horseflesh and such in previous novels. We just never really saw them "go to war" proper in the past. This one's not really a problem so much as not picking up on subtext in previous novels since we never saw them fight.
    Kruppe
    Spoiler:

To the former, I have absolutely no idea where you picked that up from. He's not. To the latter, I think so, yeah.
    Humble Measure.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Vorcan
    Spoiler:
    Leoman and his constant my mustache brings all the girls to the yard,
    Spoiler:

Only real stuff I thought was off about the book:
    Spoiler:

At any rate, I thought that the quality of writing was by far ICE's best offering. There didn't seem to be the requisite unrelated character plotline this time - everything tied together rather nicely by the end of things. There's just some stuff which didn't really mesh with what we knew from previous books and that's just disappointing.

sig.gif
    edited April 2012
    So, picked up my mail and the Subterranean Press copy of Deadhouse Gates also arrived. I felt compelled to get it as I had a copy of Gardens of the Moon as a gift from my folks (and could build a numbered set), but I'm feeling kinda underwhelemed.

The build of the novel, quality of paper, font, etc is all excellent. The cover image is supurb, as has been posted here before. But while GotM had 6 images excluding the cover (7 for the lettered, where the additional image is quite neat - not sure if it's been posted here before. The Siege atPale:)
    Spoiler:

DG only has 4. The quality of the four are decent, although their placement is a tad off - the first one is spot on:
    Spoiler:

directly opposite the scene, the others are a tad more haphazardly chosen and are placed a good 5/6 pages after the scene in question - Icarium choking Iskrael Pust, the
    Spoiler:
    , and the image which no one seems to be able to place with the random assassin girl who could by any number of people but which doesn't seem to fit any particular scene which is placed rather jarringly in the midst of a certain particular climax. You know the one. Not -quite- the worst place possible (ie, it's not at the climax of the climax) but damn close.

So yeah. Feeling rather underwhelmed, particularly given the wait.

e: Found what must be the lettered version's additional image in this case, which is actually quite excellent. Doesn't help me any, though. :P
    Spoiler:

e2: Wait, there's also this image of the Silanda.
    Spoiler:

Jragghen on
    sig.gif
    Realize I'm stringing a lot in a row here, but browsing Malazan Empire and someone mentioned something which seems to make perfect sense for one of the things that bothered both of us, Gary.
    Spoiler:

sig.gif
    Today was the US release date for Orb, Sceptre, Throne. I read a little of my copy already. Makes me wish I had paid more attention to Toll the Hounds and Stonewielder.

Forge%2Bof%2BDarkness%2B2.jpg

Cover art for the Forge of Darkness, and blurb:
    Forge of Darkness: Now is the time to tell the story of an ancient realm, a tragic tale that sets the stage for all the tales yet to come and all those already told...

It's a conflicted time in Kurald Galain, the realm of Darkness, where Mother Dark reigns. But this ancient land was once home to many a power… and even death is not quite eternal. The commoners' great hero, Vatha Urusander, is being promoted by his followers to take Mother Dark's hand in marriage, but her Consort, Lord Draconus, stands in the way of such ambitions. The impending clash sends fissures throughout the realm, and as the rumors of civil war burn through the masses, an ancient power emerges from the long dead seas. Caught in the middle of it all are the First Sons of Darkness, Anomander, Andarist, and Silchas Ruin of the Purake Hold...

Steven Erikson entered the pantheon of great fantasy writers with his debut Gardens of the Moon. Now he returns with the first novel in a trilogy that takes place millennia before the events of the Malazan Book of the Fallen and introduces readers to Kurald Galain, the warren of Darkness. It is the epic story of a realm whose fate plays a crucial role in shaping the world of the Malazan Empire.

sig.gif
    edited May 2012
    Is there a date for that one yet? I am pretty interested. The Kurald Galain stuff late in the series was pretty interesting, but pretty confusing. It will be nice to get some backstory.

I am steaming through Orb, Sceptre, Throne. Got about 100 pages to go. I feel like Esselmont's Kruppe is a little off from Erikson's. Maybe that's why he is used quite sparingly in this book. I do like his take on Spindle, Antsy, and Scorch and Leff though.

captaink on
    Yeah, his Kruppe seemed more....normal. :P

Forge of Darkness comes out in September, I think.

sig.gif
    Finished OST.
    Spoiler:

re: Torrud Cabal, from Malazan Empire
    Spoiler:

Other stuff:
    Spoiler:

sig.gif
    edited May 2012
    Jragghen wrote: »
    re: Torrud Cabal, from Malazan Empire
    Spoiler:

Other stuff:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

captaink on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Finally picked up and finished OST. I was....entertained, but yeah pretty much agree with most of the nitpicking above.

The K'rul thing was kind of weird but
    Spoiler:

It kind of made me question whether I was just inferring it wrong all this time but nooope, just some weird thing.

PSN/Steam - Elderlycrawfish
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Any word on an Encyclopedia Malaz? The setting is so fucking dense and confusing, yet awesome, I'd love a companion book.

Any word on an Encyclopedia Malaz? The setting is so fucking dense and confusing, yet awesome, I'd love a companion book.

Asked Erikson about that in his AMA on reddit.
    We just haven't yet got to putting together an encyclopedia. The fact is, with Cam working on his new novel and me on mine, it's a question of choosing what's more important to us ... so, do you want more novels from us or the encyclopedia?

sig.gif
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    The encyclopedia!

So has anyone in the UK picked up Forge of Darkness yet? I'm curious to know how it differs from the original series tonally and in terms of scope and such.

sig.gif
    was in a Waterstones today and didn't see it on the shelves.

• HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I've picked it up on Kindle, only read the first couple of pages last night. I'm hoping to have time to actually get stuck into it this week.

SarahBlasko_WTSWTSWH_sig2new.jpg
    I'm dredging up this thread because I am partway through Forge of Darkness. It is portraying the early times of Kurald Galain completely differently from what I had in my head. Which is good, I guess. Makes it more than a fill-in history book. But still, there's a surprise every few pages so far.

Spoilers through chapter 8ish
    Spoiler:

I have the book, but decided to close the chapter on the wot portion of my life, so I've been rereading that series and am choosing to do it all in one shot. Forge of Darkness will come after :)

In other news, Malazan audiobooks are finally getting released. First novel clocking in at 26 hours. Means we might be seeing the last couple books in the series clock over 50 hours. Heh.

sig.gif
    http://aidanmoher.com/blog/2012/10/asides/catching-up-with-steven-erikson-in-victoria-bc/

I feel compelled to share this for a single quote.
    There’s a significant encounter in Toll the Hounds between one of Erikson’s characters and one of Esslemont’s characters (fans who have read TtH will know the encounter I speak of) that was decided, in true RPG-nerd fashion, by a good ol’ fashion roll of a twenty-sided die. Erikson suggested that the end of that novel would have been much different if the die had rolled differently.

That's fantastic.

sig.gif
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    I am kind of interested in returning to the Malazan world, but the books are so dense and sort of non-relaxing to read that I still can't convince myself to get into them unless they are telling a story of one of the characters I really like. Give me an Icarium book, or even a Karsa book and I'm there. A whole cast of new characters, I'm still ehh. Maybe in 6 months or a year I will feel like reading the Esslemont books and Erickson's new one.

burbo wrote: »
    I am kind of interested in returning to the Malazan world, but the books are so dense and sort of non-relaxing to read that I still can't convince myself to get into them unless they are telling a story of one of the characters I really like. Give me an Icarium book, or even a Karsa book and I'm there. A whole cast of new characters, I'm still ehh. Maybe in 6 months or a year I will feel like reading the Esslemont books and Erickson's new one.

Erickson's second new trilogy will apparently follow Karsa. But that's 2+ years from now.

Cover of Subterranean Press version of MoI is out (low res for now). I approve.
    Spoiler:

sig.gif
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    The Subterranean Press stuff is incredible. Wish I had the kind of cash to shell out for it.

PSN/Steam - Elderlycrawfish
    Is that the Pannion Seer? because that is not how I pictured him

It's the image which the Seer projected, not the Seer itself.
    Spoiler:

sig.gif
    ah that would explain it. For some reason I always pictured The Seer wearing the skin of an old man like the giant cockroach in Men in Black. which is close but wrong

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Just got done reading Forge of Darkness and damn this is going to be such a good trilogy.
    Spoiler:

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Forge of Darkness threw me in how different it was from the prehistory I had envisioned reading MBotF. But I liked it a lot! Is another one coming this year? I think Esselmont is due with another book fairly soon as well.

Blood and Bone by Esslemont was just released on dec 10th, at least in canada anyway i think you guys down south wait a little longer. Was going to start that tonight.

The next book in the Kharkanas trilogy Fall of Light doesnt have a set release yet, but i expect it this year sometime.

And then i need to track down a copy of Worms of blearmouth, i forgot it was coming out and didnt preorder, might have to wait till it gets a rerelease.

Foomy wrote: »
    Blood and Bone by Esslemont was just released on dec 10th, at least in canada anyway i think you guys down south wait a little longer. Was going to start that tonight.

The next book in the Kharkanas trilogy Fall of Light doesnt have a set release yet, but i expect it this year sometime.

And then i need to track down a copy of Worms of blearmouth, i forgot it was coming out and didnt preorder, might have to wait till it gets a rerelease.

May 21 :( The US publisher had gotten good with nearly simultaneous releases for Erikson's stuff, guess Esselmont doesn't get that treatment.

Yeah, hopefully they'll close that gap.

I really need to get around to reading Forge of Darkness, but I've got so many other stuff I'm reading which keeps making me push it off.

In other news, interior art for MoI has been released.
    Spoiler:

It's goddamn perfect, if a tad larger than I imagined.

sig.gif
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Just started this series, it's great. Already on the 3rd book, fun times.

schuss wrote: »
    Just started this series, it's great. Already on the 3rd book, fun times.

Well you got over the hardest bit of the very slow start in the first book, now your in for one crazy ride. Don't forget to also check out the books by Ian. C. Esslemont and the short stories by Erikson are also quite excellent.

and then when your all done, you get to read the whole thing over again and catch all the foreshadowing and little side bits that only make sense when you know the whole story and world. It's almost better then the first time reading it.

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    I have to say that I have been enjoying the hell out of these books. Why they haven't gotten as much attention as the Game of Thrones boggles my mind :P

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
    Dissociater