As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D]Fast prep - your shortcuts?

VacuumJockeyVacuumJockey Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Critical Failures
Since I started my West Marches campaign I've had to roll with the blows, so to speak, and come up with notes for an evenings adventure in a hurry. This is how I do it:

I usually have at least an inkling of what my players want to do, as is the nature of West Marches-style campaigns. So checking our group usually gives me a good base to start from. But of course there are days when you just blank. That is when I consult...

S. John Ross' Big List of RPG Plots, or, if I'm really stumped, The Moldway Adventure Creator. That'll set me up with the basic outline.

Then I pour that through Dr. Rotwang's patented adventure funnel to get the plot in shape.

Of course, you'll (sometimes) need a dungeon map. For that I use either the very awesome Skeleton Key Games Dungeon Generator or if I have no time at all, Janis Buck's Dungeon Generator.

And that's my setup right there.

How do you guys insta-prep?

PSN: VacuumJockey

"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy!"
~ Dr. Emilio Lizardo
VacuumJockey on