As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

going to hong kong

HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm gonna be in Hong Kong for 6 or 7 nights in a little more than a week from now. I'm going with 3 other college guys. Any recommendations on what to do and specific places to go? I am already in China so I don't have to worry about jet lag or anything.

HalberdBlue on

• WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Check out the computer market at Sham Shui Po (easily reached by the subway.) You'll find almost anything computer related there.

Bars in Hong Kong are gathered to areas or bar streets. There's one on the Kowloon side near the shore, and another on the Hong Kong island itself, up the hillside, but I can't recall what they were called. If you can get the names down HK taxi drivers speak enough English to get you there.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think Kowloon side its called Tsan Shui Tsan (or TST for short) and on the island it's in an area called Wan Chai.

I'm moving to Hong Kong at the end of the month so I've been similarly trying to find out information.

Ponge on
  • RevolutionaryRevolutionary Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Be sure to see the Giant Buddha and the night show. I think at 8pm every night, the skyscrapers of Hong Kong light up in a spectacular show. A must see, having witnessed it myself.

Revolutionary on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Be sure to see the Giant Buddha and the night show. I think at 8pm every night, the skyscrapers of Hong Kong light up in a spectacular show. A must see, having witnessed it myself.

I'll second the laser light show thing, its pretty cool. There's also music involved.

Cauld on
  • WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ponge wrote: »
    I think Kowloon side its called Tsan Shui Tsan (or TST for short) and on the island it's in an area called Wan Chai.

TST is actually called Tsim Sha Tsui, and is an area in Kowloon. From the TST subway station you can get to the Star Ferry (which is an alternative way to cross to the island) and the Avenue of Stars, which is a tourist attraction at the Kowloon peninsula. Basically a pedesrian road with a view to the Hong Kong proper. The bars are in that general area, but I forgot the street name.

The second area is indeed Wan Chai, and is the better of the two for nightlife.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • MegaMan AddictMegaMan Addict Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you're a fan of Chinese actors like Jet Li, Jackie Chan, or Chow Yun Fat, I'd recommend a quick trip to the Hong Kong's Avenue of the Stars along the waterfront. It's been a while since I was there last so maybe some forumer who lives in Hong Kong knows what I'm talking about and can give you better directions.

I was surprised at how friggin' huge Jackie Chan's hands are compared to my own..but Jet Li? Yeah, me and him have the same size hands. This fact leads me to believe that one day, I too, will be able to kill people with my small, girly hands.

MegaMan Addict on
  • grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Make sure to search the forum here- a few people have asked about going to Hong Kong before. I was there for a week in August. Awesome place. Anyways, TST is great, avenue of stars is tourist-y but interesting. For a wide variety of food hit up the Soho area, I think on Hong Kong Island (not Kowloon). There's this ridiculous escalator that goes up the whole way (outside) with so many different types of restaurants here and there. Wan Chai is pretty nice too, though I think the night I went I accidentally led us to Australian expatriate bar.

If you guys can get a ferry out to Lamma Island, I'd recommend it. Assuming you like hiking and eating fresh seafood. It's definitely different from the rest of Hong Kong.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken