As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

University/Money Woes

Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I am currently on summer break but come August I am returning to school and moving into a house with some friends of mine, a 5 minute walk from campus. My problem is I currently owe my school a substantial amount of money because my loan did not cover all my res expenses but only half, so as it stands I owe my school 4k. Realistically I don't see my family being able to pay this amount of money before the end of August and as it stands I won't be able to sign up for fall courses until this is all paid off. Now you're probably asking yourself why is this guy moving to school in August instead of saving up money to pay said money owed. Well I find living with my parents quite the headache and quite frankly I feel more comfortable when I live away from them and our relationship tends to be much improved. They tend to nitpick little things and blow them out of proportion and quite frankly I feel they stifle my independence. I recently told them I'm thinking of taking a year off and working to pay off the 4k we owe while I live near campus with some roommates and they see this as dropping out. I fully plan on returning to school as I want to attend law school and someday become a lawyer, corporate law to be exact.

Any suggestions H/A?

P.S Excuse any grammatical errors as I have work in a few minutes so I rushed.

Prot3us on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Your school loan didn't cover your residential expenses? I smell bullshit. Or is this a personal loan you took out for schooling?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah all my school loans covered everything even a little extra. Go talk to the financial people at your school and see how they can help.

CooterTKE on
  • RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There may be grants for this at your Uni, check with the university Students Union.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If any type of loan is there to help you (or at least hurt you the least), it's a school loan. Seriously, go talk to your bank or the University, most scholarly loans don't even have to be repaid until you graduate (at least mine doesn't).

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "My loan did not cover..."
    Usually people get the Stafford loan (which you can only get so much money for), and then some other type of school loan through a lender like SallieMae for the rest. On that second loan, you usually get what you ask for unless you ask for a ridiculous amount or your credit (or your cosigner/parent's) sucks. My guess (especially if you're at a state school) is that you got the Stafford but didn't get the other loan.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    First, GO TALK TO YOUR SCHOOLS FINANCIAL AID PEOPLE. Nobody will be more help than they will.

Take on every possible loan and get out of school ASAP. It’s much better this way. If you absolutely cannot manage to go back full-time in the fall, at least go part-time at a cheap community college to fill in some requirements while you work.

But try to find a job that you can work in with school. Get a paid internship so that you can get credit and work. Look for desk jobs that allow you to do homework—my sister worked the reception desk at a hotel on the night shift to get through. I’ve known a lot of people who worked the customer service desks of small gyms, odd shops, or community centers and did the same thing.

supabeast on
  • Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    We just recently moved to Canada. Apparently the OSAP loan does not give out as much money if you haven't been in Ontario for a full year, which is what happened to me according to my school. I have been looking into loans etc.

Prot3us on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Prot3us wrote: »
    tend to nitpick little things and blow them out of proportion and quite frankly I feel they stifle my independence. I recently told them I'm thinking of taking a year off and working to pay off the 4k we owe while I live near campus with some roommates and they see this as dropping out. Any suggestions H/A?

Like others, I'm trying to figure out how your Financial aid left you 4k in the hole. Weren't you aware of this through out your entire semester?

But to address what I quoted, stop being an idiot. From the little information you put in, it doesn't sound like you need to move away from your parents cause they beat you, belittle you, or abuse you. They're being parents. You'll amass the 4k a lot faster if you live with them.

But the bottom line is, even if you do take a year off, or whatever time you need to pay the loan, make sure you go back. I was in the same situation as you, owed money, and took some time to pay it off. That time stretched to about two and a half years, and just now I'm finishing up school.

noir_blood on
    edited June 2008
    Sorry I did not state this earlier but like I said, we recently moved to Canada and we are still going through the citizenship process. Basically, when I started university I was considered an international student but as time went on we showed my school the required paper work (application to permanent residency status). So they changed me to domestic fees (only for the first semester) because according to them I handed in my proof of permenant residency late (past January 21st iirc). But the process to obtain said documents was obviously out of my hands. I talked to the registrars office which is responsible for student status(whether or not you're international or domestic, part time or full time etc). The registrar then agreed to change the balance I owed to domestic(for both semesters) this was late March which is when I noticed the residual 4k. School closed mid April.

Ive been in contact with my school and yes I have applied for all the loans I can. I still dont know the status of my applications and I wont till the end of June and August for some. The school has agreed to begin a payment plan but the residual balance must be payed off before I can enroll for fall courses which are drawing closer and closer. I hope this clears everything up.

Prot3us on
    edited June 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Prot3us wrote: »
    tend to nitpick little things and blow them out of proportion and quite frankly I feel they stifle my independence. I recently told them I'm thinking of taking a year off and working to pay off the 4k we owe while I live near campus with some roommates and they see this as dropping out. Any suggestions H/A?

Like others, I'm trying to figure out how your Financial aid left you 4k in the hole. Weren't you aware of this through out your entire semester?

But to address what I quoted, stop being an idiot. From the little information you put in, it doesn't sound like you need to move away from your parents cause they beat you, belittle you, or abuse you. They're being parents. You'll amass the 4k a lot faster if you live with them.

But the bottom line is, even if you do take a year off, or whatever time you need to pay the loan, make sure you go back. I was in the same situation as you, owed money, and took some time to pay it off. That time stretched to about two and a half years, and just now I'm finishing up school.

You have to understand my parents will not condone me working during school. They think it will result in me failing. So living at home and working enough to pay off the 4k does not look possible from what I've been told.

Prot3us on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    are you in good with your professors? Some of them might let you take the classes, unregistered, until you can pay down the debt and sign up for new classes.

Also, tell your parents to stop being dumb and let you work. Just work weekends and live at home. you can pay off 4k then.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    edited June 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    are you in good with your professors? Some of them might let you take the classes, unregistered, until you can pay down the debt and sign up for new classes.

Also, tell your parents to stop being dumb and let you work. Just work weekends and live at home. you can pay off 4k then.

If I could tell my parents to let me work then I would not have made this thread, even if they did the only job that I could realistically get to let me work weekends would be at a supermarket and minimum wage. 8.75 x 10 hours a week would not realistically amount to 4k, seeing as I have a cellphone bill and I'd obviously need spending money. Just so you guys know when I do move out which I've decided on doing, I'll be paying $435 a month. This includes cable, internet and water. If all goes well my OSAP loan should allow me to pay for rent, tuition and the outstanding balance. This is based on the estimate OSAP has given me.

Prot3us on