As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Playing old games in Vista - Full screen

ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
When I load up Diablo 2 or Planescape it sits in the middle of my screen in a tiny 640x480 window on a 1680x1050 display.

I've tried using Windows XP mode, I've told Nvidia control panel not to scal, I've set it for 640x480 mode... nothing works. I'm running this on Windows Vista Home Premium with an 8800 GTS 512MB with the latest drivers.

Any ideas on how to get this image to fill the screen?

142.jpg
Threepio on

• meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Check your monitor settings? Sounds like it's on 1:1 pixel mapping.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    When I load up Diablo 2 or Planescape it sits in the middle of my screen in a tiny 640x480 window on a 1680x1050 display.

I've tried using Windows XP mode, I've told Nvidia control panel not to scal, I've set it for 640x480 mode... nothing works. I'm running this on Windows Vista Home Premium with an 8800 GTS 512MB with the latest drivers.

Uh? You told it not to scale and that's what it's doing. If you want it to fill the screen, tell it to scale.

Without scaling, how were you expecting 640x480 pixels to use the entire 1680x1050 screen?

Zell on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zell wrote: »

Uh? You told it not to scale and that's what it's doing. If you want it to fill the screen, tell it to scale.

Without scaling, how were you expecting 640x480 pixels to use the entire 1680x1050 screen?
    http://gibberlings3.net/widescreen/ ?
    For Planescape anyway.

JAEF on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Try settings the short cut icon to open in a full screen window.

Dark Shroud on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How is support for applications in Vista now, specifically 64-bit? Are many of you still able to run older games (like, HL1 old) with little to no tinkering? I've been looking at 64-bit Vista (having 4GB of RAM and wanting to utilize all of it) but using both a new OS and a new architecture is an unfamiliar paradigm.

Silvoculous on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How is support for applications in Vista now, specifically 64-bit? Are many of you still able to run older games (like, HL1 old) with little to no tinkering? I've been looking at 64-bit Vista (having 4GB of RAM and wanting to utilize all of it) but using both a new OS and a new architecture is an unfamiliar paradigm.

There are compatibility issues, on a case-by-case basis. The majority of old games I've tried have required minor tweaks (often with improvements in the game involved, such as opening up more modern resolutions than 800x600), and for the few that required more than that it was necessary to use the same tweaks to get it to work in WinXP too.

If you go too old, however, you'll run into 16-bit applications, which will require a bit of effort to get running. DosBox is a potential solution there.

EDIT: For example, I just pulled Half-Life down off steam, and it ran with no problems.

Dehumanized on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Alright, then it's nothing that I haven't already had to do at some point with XP.

Edit: And anything old enough to be 16-bit I can run in a virtual machine or DosBox, so yeah. I was just concerned for the vast body of 32-bit applications I have and the (albeit old) Vista-related blog articles warning that I wouldn't be able to run them.

Silvoculous on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have never had a problem running old games on vista, I have a laptop one of those generic entry level dual cores T5500 with 2gb of ram and on board video by nvidia so it can't handle anything really new but I have Master of Orion 2, Blood, Shogo (Only game I had problems with), Duke Nukem and Diablo 2. They were all pretty easy to get going. Shogo was a bit of a pian as it wanted to put itself into a resolution that was 2000000000x12000000000 or something retarded like that, that took a while to fix but I got it going.

Dixon on
  • paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I want to get commandos 2 from steam, since its only $10, do guys think it will win run properly on a new Vista laptop??

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    I want to get commandos 2 from steam, since its only $10, do guys think it will win run properly on a new Vista laptop??

according to these threads, you might have issues.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626594
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555569

however, i have no clue whether any issues you experience will be equal, lesser, or greater to issues encountered by folks using XP SP2/3.

Dehumanized on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zell wrote: »

exactly what he said.

You need to tell the video card drivers to either do fullscreen scaling (possible stretching) or aspect-ratio scaling (no stretching, but blowing up as much as possible)

Deusfaux on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What I meant was I have tried ALL of the scaling options in Nvidia control panel and none of them make any difference. Currently it's set to scale and it's still a 7" postage stamp.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited June 2008
    meatflower wrote: »

This, right here, was the solution.

Thank you meatflower, from the bottom of my circuits.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    paco_pepe wrote: »

according to these threads, you might have issues.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626594
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555569

however, i have no clue whether any issues you experience will be equal, lesser, or greater to issues encountered by folks using XP SP2/3.

Well, it appears all the complains are related to both Commandos 1, Behind enemy lines and Beyond the call of duty, i searched some more and i didnt saw any complains about C2, so i guess im going to give it a try.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    meatflower wrote: »

This, right here, was the solution.

Thank you meatflower, from the bottom of my circuits.

that makes no sense.

your monitor SHOULD always be on 1:1 when used with the computer.

the nvidia card will always be outputting the full resolution of the monitor - how much black space there may be is determined by the scaling options.

do not scale - window boxing/ black all around
    nvidia scaling - no black/fullscreen
    fixed aspect ratio - only black on one pair of sides. letter OR pillarboxing

Deusfaux on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think that's the way it should work with DVI, maybe he has it hooked up VGA?

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited June 2008
    I'm hooked up on DVI. Scaling made no difference, I had black borders all around on all options with the monitor set for 1:1 pixel mapping. As soon as I changed that it was fine. Whether it makes sense or not I can't rightly say, but that's what happened.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I tried to install Diablo 2 yesterday on Vista and it completely crapped out. I tried running it in compatability mode to no avail.

How can you get an old copy of Diablo 2 working on Vista64? Do the newer retail re-releases have patched versions that install and work properly?

Doomulon on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They might be able to answer that faster/better in the main G&T Diablo II thread. I'm sure there is somebody in there on Vista x64 who can help you out. I'm assuming you patched it up? There would be no difference between a fully patched game installed off the original CD's and one downloaded from Blizz today if you've done that.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Doomulon wrote: »
    I tried to install Diablo 2 yesterday on Vista and it completely crapped out. I tried running it in compatability mode to no avail.

How can you get an old copy of Diablo 2 working on Vista64? Do the newer retail re-releases have patched versions that install and work properly?

I have 64-bit Vista and um, it worked fine. Don't mean to be a bitch or anything. I have the "Bestseller" version of D2 and the expansion.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My version of Diablo 2 is the initial release (1.0?) I think. It doesn't go through a normal install process. Every time I come up to a CD swap part, Windows complains that the program might not have installed correctly (to which I answered yes it installed correctly, even though it wasn't finished installing). After that I get dll errors or some missing file error I didn't write it down and the game won't start.

Either way, I just said nuts to it and went to go blow some steam off in GTA4. That got me over my D2 itch real quick!

Doomulon on