As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mech Games For Consoles - Domo Arigato Mr Roboto[NSF56K]

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    I'd love to buy Front Mission 4, shame it was never released in europe. I have an american PS2, so i could import it, but Playasia is out and no one in my country is selling it on ebay. Any good sites for imports that i should know about?

Try these guys, quite a few people here use them and you get everything within a week or so. Just watch the shipping, sometimes its cheaper to buy items singly.

I'll second Ring of Red, its unique and a lot of fun.

Kelor on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Esh wrote: »

fuck yes, with a bitchin' soundtrack to boot

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ah RAD, what other mech game could you also ruin a poor young girl's life just for shits and giggles?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Ah RAD, what other mech game could you also ruin a poor young girl's life just for shits and giggles?

No.. Thats where Nanao lives...
    Poor Nanao has no money and has to eat bread and water soup while working 3 jobs at a strip club. What a bummer seeing how I'm making billions of yen and am eating lobster every night.. Oh I know I'll buy her a cup of instant soup.
    I've still never gotten the ending where she commits suicide.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    EngelNULEngelNUL Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    3 Games that will most likely grab me a lot of flak...

As much as I hate the Armored Core games, Armored Core, what was it...4, for the 360 wasn't unenjoyable. Maybe I was bored that week...?

After that week I was entertained by Dynasty Warriors: Gundam for enough time to finish all of the Story modes and most of the Original mode...

And, somewhere in the past there was Shogo: Mobile Armor Division for the PC. Again, not a terribly good game, and the giant mech missions were pretty much a different scale version of the rest of the FPS attached to it. But not terribly bad either.

And if you like squiggly lines and menus, there are all those Super Robot Wars games. Interesting if you are a fan of silly mecha.

EngelNUL on
    Pokemanz Soul Silverz: 2837 2607 9912

"How pathetic, they must really want to die flying those Z-95 Headhunters"

"Historians exercise great power and some of them know it. They recreate the past, changing it to fit their own interpretations. Thus, they change the future as well." - Leto II
  • Options
    FanaticalistFanaticalist Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Scabies wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »
    Is there a reason Mech Assault and Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf didn't get any love?

Something along the lines of how terrible they were?
    What a letdown, after Mechwarrior 3 and MechCommander

I loved the Mech Assaults, why no love? :( Maybe not quite as good as their PC bretheren, but still lots of fun. Especially online.

Also, Chromehounds. Multiplayer only. When it worked. Before people discovered how to unbalance it.

Fanaticalist on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    Haikira wrote: »
    I'd love to buy Front Mission 4, shame it was never released in europe. I have an american PS2, so i could import it, but Playasia is out and no one in my country is selling it on ebay. Any good sites for imports that i should know about?

Try these guys, quite a few people here use them and you get everything within a week or so. Just watch the shipping, sometimes its cheaper to buy items singly.

I'll second Ring of Red, its unique and a lot of fun.

Wow, $30? i'm damn sure he could get it for a whole lot less on Ebay. I mean, surely there's one to be had on the US Ebay that will ship to the UK?

Schide on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    256px-Chromehounds.jpg

EC.UPC.008888523604.CN.JPG

Bamelin on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd still play Battlecry if everytime I ended a mission it didn't exit me back to the mission choice screen. Not a problem only the loading times were annoying and it took just as long to exit then choose and load the new mission.

I just wanted to play through the game all over again with the new toys. Making me break the story every mission caused me to lose interest in replaying. I don't want to start from scratch with the clunky old horror veritech. The second last veritech is just too awesome.

In the end I traded it in because every time I went to get back into some games wham thrown out for two minutes. Blah.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I enjoyed Gungriffon: Blaze on the PS2. The controls took a bit of getting used to, as the left and right sticks are inexplicably reversed. There is no story, and only about a half-dozen missions. Which is a shame, because the first mission could use some more setup. It's an attack on Cape fucking Canaveral. D:

But the mechs are pretty cool, and the weapons are all projectile-based, the kind of stuff attack helicopters carry today. Cluster bombs, rocket pods, chainguns, etc. Limited flight capability, but more cool than that is the roller dash. That's right. Like the Armored Troopers in VOTOMS and the Heavy Gear mechs they inspired, the 'AFWs' in Gungriffon can skate around on wheels while blowing shit up. It's awesome.

And the gallery of collectible model kits was a neat touch. All set up in a battlefield panorama. One of many features in this game that I'd like to see turn up in a more ambitious, mainstream mech sim someday.

So I picked up Gungriffon: Allied Strike for the OXBox. Ugh. Somehow, the graphics went from simple textures nto an ugly, splotchy mess. And they neutered the roller dash and the flight. Might give it another chance when I'm bored, but so far, it's a disappointment.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll resist the call to mention games from consoles that are more than a few generations old, and ones which ostensibly feature mechs but really they could be anything because the fact that it's a mech has no real bearing on the gameplay.

Steambot Chronicles (NA name) or Bumpy Trot (JP name) for PS2.
    For a "relaxing non-linear adventure", some of the ending stuff can be surprisingly depressing.
    I liked it for all kinds of reasons... even though it was full of stuff that felt clunky in its implementation (never mind that the mechs are meant to be big and clunky), it had some endearing quality to me.
    Also, Irem's making a sequel to it for PS3!

There's a Simple DS game called "Gun Ground" that's a ripoff of Cybernator (an awesome SNES game... called Assaults Suits Valken in JP) except that it comes with customization, some multiplayer modes, and some really annoying puzzles. I still love it to death anyway.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Personally, I actually like the Armored Core games. However, 4 is by far the best. It streamlines the parts that were just annoying(can move quickly by infinite ground dash now, no heat system), and the parts that're too complex you can mostly ignore anyways.

yalborap on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I like the direction AC4 took the series. They streamlined a lot of the building so that you can focus more on making what you want, rather than being forced to jam on parts that are "good" regardless of whether or not you want to use them. Plus making things speedier in general makes things a ton more fun, especially since I tended to make fast ACs anyway.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Yeah, I like the direction AC4 took the series. They streamlined a lot of the building so that you can focus more on making what you want, rather than being forced to jam on parts that are "good" regardless of whether or not you want to use them. Plus making things speedier in general makes things a ton more fun, especially since I tended to make fast ACs anyway.

Definitely agreed. I was the sort to build what I wanted and screw efficiency in the previous games. Luckily, I was able to loosen up and do stuff like my Optimus Prime style mech in 4.

He's badass, by the way. Big and heavy but fast as hell. I gave him a minigun.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

Definitely agreed. I was the sort to build what I wanted and screw efficiency in the previous games. Luckily, I was able to loosen up and do stuff like my Optimus Prime style mech in 4.

Plus it gives the series a sense of evolution as the technology gets better, ACs can fly longer, ect.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Plus it gives the series a sense of evolution as the technology gets better, ACs can fly longer, ect.

That too. I never could entirely grasp the physical concepts that made for faster speed through being off-balanced in 4, though. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to figure out why having more weight on your BACK makes you go FORWARD faster.

yalborap on
  • Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Speaking of Heavy Gear, they did make two PC games about that series. I can't honestly remember if they were good or not but they did have some really good/bad C&C FMV style sequences in them.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY0sH4vn5lI

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I never played the first but Heavy Gear II is great. The neat thing about it is that the mechs act more like power armor than giant battlemechs. So you can sneak around and use stealth to evade enemies, but things like turrets and tanks pose serious threats. Makes it a neat change over giant invulnerable robots that shrug off anything not another robot.

Though I've got a weird problem when trying to run it in Vista. The game itself 99% runs perfectly... except for the fact that the polygon draw order is reversed. So it draws background objects over foreground stuff. Which sort of makes it impossible to play.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Heavy Gear II was awesome. Later on once you got laser weapons it became far too easy, swipe one blast across an enemy's legs and they're gone, lying impotent and waiting for your mercy killing as you take out the rest of the threats.

As for your problem Dartboy, have you tried low-light mode? Displays everything in wireframe, I played most of the game like that just cause I thought it looked cool.

Arrath on
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I always thought that that mission that involves sneaking into the enemy camp IN YOUR GEAR was kind of funny.

Metal Gear Heavy?

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was about to say Starfire Saga V: Laserion
    20070608.jpg
    But then when I typed the name into Google, in search of box art, I suddenly had a horrible realization.

1. The game is not real.
    2. I am gullible.

I didn't think those were the actual controls, I'm not that stupid. I thought they were an exaggeration....for comedic effect. It apparently never occured to me that the title in and of itself should have been my first indication.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Master of Arena was a shitty Armored Core game. I still think Project Phantasma was the best one.

EDIT: And where the hell is Mech Warrior? That is the mech sim.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FlavabeanFlavabean Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This thread made me replay ZOE 2; no game has achieved the same bad assery that is fighting 10 raptors in close combat using that teleportation move.

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Flavabean wrote: »
    This thread made me replay ZOE 2; no game has achieved the same bad assery that is fighting 10 raptors in close combat using that teleportation move.

Zero Shift is so awesome.
    I think my favourite moment is leading Leo and the LEVs into the battle against the BAHRAM forces where you're fighting off waves of a hundred enemies at a time and managing to dash around all over healing your LEVs while landing, charging up a vector cannon blast and dragging it across the sky carving a swathe through the red lights on your radar.

Managing to make it through the whole fight without losing a LEV makes you feel so badass. They nailed the whole robot thing so much with that game.

Kelor on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I came to this thread looking for this one. I am glad I was not needed. This game played enjoyably fast, and had a lot of number tweaking that I found terribly addictive. If this thing was online multi-player, I'd probably still be playing it.

piL on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited June 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    Flavabean wrote: »

Zero Shift is so awesome.
    I think my favourite moment is leading Leo and the LEVs into the battle against the BAHRAM forces where you're fighting off waves of a hundred enemies at a time and managing to dash around all over healing your LEVs while landing, charging up a vector cannon blast and dragging it across the sky carving a swathe through the red lights on your radar.

Managing to make it through the whole fight without losing a LEV makes you feel so badass. They nailed the whole robot thing so much with that game.
    They also unintentionally nailed a DBZ thing.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does anyone remember Terra Nova for the PC? I remember thinking at the time it was awesome, but it's probably safe to say it's not so amazing now... You had some sort of powered armour (Brit sp.), so it might not really be proper mecha, but hey... Also, the intro was pretty cool.

Question:
    Can anyone recommend a good mecha game for the DS and one for the PSP? Import would be OK, as long as it's not too text- heavy. I used to have Custom Robo Arena for the DS, which i though was ok, but way too childish to take seriously, and your starting mech looked G-A-Y. (Absolutely no offence intended to people who are homosexual. If offended, though, please do a quick image search for the mech in question...)

I know Bangaio Spirits has been having some good press, but was wondering if there are any more portable games that i might have missed.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    l_g wrote: »
    I always thought that that mission that involves sneaking into the enemy camp IN YOUR GEAR was kind of funny.

Metal Gear Heavy?

Goddamn it. Now I have to go find a copy of that game...

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    piL wrote: »

I came to this thread looking for this one. I am glad I was not needed. This game played enjoyably fast, and had a lot of number tweaking that I found terribly addictive. If this thing was online multi-player, I'd probably still be playing it.

Ah, i totally forgot about this game. I got a lend of it from a friend ages ago, who told me it was awesome, but i didn't get a chance to try it.

To my delight, its on the backwards list!

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ah, Chromehounds. I got into it far too late, after all the other people had stopped playing it, but I loved it still.

Here's hoping for Chromehounds 2, which I will get on release day and leave my job and family to play to the full.

Or we could hope for:

Yes, I know that's not what console means.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have actually been playing chromehounds a bit lately. The game really is pretty fantastic. I too hope from has been working on a sequel.

corin7 on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    To this day ZOE2 remains one of the most beautiful games ever made.

Period.

And it is the only game where you can pilot a giant robot, teleport THROUGH another giant robot about eight times and then make it explode from you violating the space/time continuim.

Which makes it the best game.

Transporter on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    @l_g

Can you tell us more about Gun Ground? pls?
    Is it import-friendly? How easy to navigate menus etc?
    TELL US

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A fun not well know game from PS2
    g22668u12md.jpg
    Somewhat of a steep difficulty with arena based combat gameplay.
    1.jpg
    Awsome mech customization. All in all a decent game for those that need a mech fix.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Is there a reason Mech Assault and Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf didn't get any love?

What? I didn't play Lone Wolf, but the first MechAssault was awesome. Some of the best times on my XBox were spent playing against people online in MechAssault when XBox Live first came out. The single player wasn't anything spectacular, but it was still fun - certainly nothing close to "terrible". With the online portion, it became an incredible game.
    I still blame microsoft for raping the Mechwarrior and Crimson Skies franchise, amongst other great game franchises. Main reason I will still refuse to buy a 360 (though im sure if something came that I really really wanted, well yea).

Roxtar on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

That's funny, since it's a prequel to Armored Core 1 :)

Master of Arena and Phantasma are just about tied for overall quality. Phantasma probably has the upper hand in length of its story mode and variety of missions + environments, but MoA blows it out of the water if you like the Arena. Phantasma's part balance is truly ridiculous, with pretty much every new part being spectacularly broken; MoA fixed that without really breaking anything else (except for the stealth item, but it doesn't work in missions and you can just slap P2 if they try to use it in VS). AC1 and Master of Arena are definitely among the best, I'd place Phantasma slightly behind them, as much as I love it. That's nit-picking though, I think anyone interested should try any one of them and be sure to get the other two titles if you like the first.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Roxtar wrote: »
    Big Dookie wrote: »

What? I didn't play Lone Wolf, but the first MechAssault was awesome. Some of the best times on my XBox were spent playing against people online in MechAssault when XBox Live first came out. The single player wasn't anything spectacular, but it was still fun - certainly nothing close to "terrible". With the online portion, it became an incredible game.
    I still blame microsoft for raping the Mechwarrior and Crimson Skies franchise, amongst other great game franchises. Main reason I will still refuse to buy a 360 (though im sure if something came that I really really wanted, well yea).
    Raping the Mechwarrior and Crimson Skies franchises? That seems like a little bit of hyperbole. Both Mechassault and the Crimson Skies sequel were very fun games in their own right, especially thanks to the XBox Live multiplayer on both of them. They weren't exactly like Mechwarrior and the first CS games, but they weren't supposed to be either. They were always meant to be fun, actiony console games that also happened to have excellent mutiplayer components. I don't really see how that's raping the franchises.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man! Heavy Gear 2 was amazing. I've been afraid to boot it up recently in fear of it looking / feeling dated.

Last game that gave me my mech fix was Armored Core 4. Never being an AC-head I didn't have any pre-conceived notions and that game was exciting as hell to play. I think that was the last game I actually took the time to beat, come to think of it. Great mech game!

kingmetal on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »

What? No it isn't, the whole point behind the AC4 story is that that all the old originals and ravens couldn't match their skills with the Nexts.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »

What? No it isn't, the whole point behind the AC4 story is that that all the old originals and ravens couldn't match their skills with the Nexts.

AC4 is pre-Great Destruction and For Answer leads up to it. The timeline has been officially released released in Japan and goes AC4 series > Great Destruction > AC1 series > AC2 (on Mars) / AC2:AA (on Earth, simultaneously) > AC3 series (on Mars) > Nexus series (also on Mars). The "normals" in AC4 are just MT's and not Armored Cores. It's also strongly implied that Chromehounds is pre-AC4.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra