Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Valve's Portal: Other ideas

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Ledneh wrote:
    I'm not sure what's going on in that post, but I sense something important just happened
    Agreed.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • NucshNucsh Registered User
    edited August 2006
    This thread went from zero to awesome in 3 posts.

Good work.

[SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    dpportalon7.jpg

OH GOD, I CAN SEE FOREVER!

optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    It's a little person caught in an infinite posting loop.

edit: Dark, you should oval out the image itself.

zs0NdTG.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Talith wrote:
    edit: Dark, you should oval out the image itself.

And so I shall!

dpportal2lf1.png

optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2006
    Turkey wrote:
    Portald.png

Portal'd for truth.

Pure awesome.

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    MrZip wrote:
    Turkey wrote:
    Portald.png

Portal'd for truth.

Pure awesome.
    :^: :^:

Two thumbs up.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Portals through time as well as space?

hitlerportalst6.gif

Oh shi-

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I don't quite know if my sig/advitar are working right or not.

• Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User
    edited August 2006
    agoaj wrote:
    Raiden333 wrote:
    homeobocks wrote:
    What does it mean in the trailer when the narrator is like "...If at first you don't succeed, you fail; and the test will be terminated. [Wensda]. Remember our motto..."

WTF is the thing that sounds like "wensda"?

"When stuck, remember our motto..."
    "There's a hole in the sky, through which things can fly."
    I'm not sure why, but I am in fucking love with that narration.

"This next test...is impossible."

Rent wrote: »
    So that's what having no idea what you are talking about looks like
    edited August 2006
    There... Now it's a little better.

edited August 2006
    Now on the blue.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Businessman!Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    how the fuck did you make that sig, Death of Rats?

and avatar?

steam_sig.png

I pronounce it bee-log. Most recent entry: VIDEO GAMES: GUNPOINT, OR A SCIENTIFIC STUDY ON WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GLASS MEETS TROUSERS.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/TheJohnDarc
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

and avatar?
    Optical illusion olol.

It's darker than the grey but lighter than the blue!

sometimes you just gotta do a thing
    edited August 2006

and avatar?
    Optical illusion olol.

:^:

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

and avatar?
    Optical illusion olol.

:^:
    Pretty awesome. :^:

sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • GimeCGimeC Registered User
    edited August 2006
    If only the photoshop threads were still alive.

Wouldn't portals be nice for Snake? No sneaking required, just portal on in.

Also, after messing around with this in gmod, I can see that there's a lot of possibilities, my personal favorite being climbing walls by progressively adding portals on top of one another.

• -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
  • GiganticusGiganticus Registered User
    edited August 2006
    Boy does he look confused.

• Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User
    edited August 2006
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    portal.jpg
    Oh fuck what did I do...

I deem that this is the new standard for quoting

tf2_sig.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    dhh8.png
    Limed. This new quoting system is fun and all, but it won't do much good for the H-scroll.

8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • Seta FDSeta FD Registered User
    edited August 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    dhh8.png
    Limed. This new quoting system is fun and all, but it won't do much good for the H-scroll.

I would love to portal that post, but my monitor is too weak.

bridgetsigea1.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Seta FD wrote:

I would love to portal that post, but my monitor is too weak.

Just be careful...thusfar we've only seen 2, 3 portals at most. Too many leading through eachother could break the space-forum continuum, and lead to an event that has only been theorized until now....

A 501 Internal Server Error.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006

and avatar?
    Optical illusion olol.

That's pure genius. Two thumbs up for Death of Rats :^: :^:

7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere MY FINEST CREATION oh nevermind it's deadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Oh man. This shit is awesome. :^:

nHu0VJL.png
    My Youtube My Steam SMITE IGN: TDOTCRFH4 come SMITE with me
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Holy shit. What kind of awesome did I walk into. Death of Rats, you magnificent bastard.

• The_Infernal_MachineThe_Infernal_Machine Registered User
    edited August 2006
    Hey, apparently some modders managed to make a bastardized portal gun for Gmod.

While not Portal awesome, or even Nabacular Drop awesome, it's definately fun to mess around with.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

While not Portal awesome, or even Nabacular Drop awesome, it's definately fun to mess around with.
    Thanks for not leaving us hanging by providing a derth of information including screenshots and links.

Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    are photoshop contests officially dead? cause this is begging for one, based on the stuff put in here. I miss the photoshop threads, they are what first got me hooked on these forums :)

camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

Thanks for not leaving us hanging by providing a derth of information including screenshots and links.

You're really not missing anything. It's barely even a portal gun at all.
    It just fakes a view from the exit portal, and teleports you to it's location when you get close enough to it. Oh, and it only works one way. If anyone wants to give it a try, it can be found here. You will need the latest Garry's Mod version to use it.

camo_sig2.png
  • The_Infernal_MachineThe_Infernal_Machine Registered User
    edited August 2006

It just fakes a view from the exit portal, and teleports you to it's location when you get close enough to it. Oh, and it only works one way. If anyone wants to give it a try, it can be found here. You will need the latest Garry's Mod version to use it.

Eh, it's enough to make me mess around with Gmod again. Teleporting antlions underwater and watching them drown? :^:

• LaserstrikeLaserstrike Registered User
    edited August 2006
    The instant hole gun version of it is pretty fun too. Enemy hiding behind that prop? Shoot a hole threw it and toss in a grenade.

• Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

I screwed around with that mod for quite a long while.

I managed to get the grenade that fires from the Sub Machine Gun to fall into a perpetual motion.

Forever falling leaving a permenent smoke trail.

It was cool.

Automasig.jpg
  • TurkeyTurkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I wonder if it would be possible to mod Portal to allow mid-air portals. They could be activated like the Shock Combo in Unreal Tournament.

zkVyf.png
  • LaCabraLaCabra Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Definitely possible.

Blog | Impromptu Games | twitter

totally buy my video game InFlux on Steam or Humble Store or GOG or Amazon!
  • TurkeyTurkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    LaCabra wrote:
    Definitely possible.

Then allow me to say it.

PREY LOL

zkVyf.png
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User
    edited August 2006
    Why the love for Narbacular Drop or whatever it was called? It was buggy as hell, with horrible clipping, and many objects didn't render through it's portals.

Buggy in terms of repeatedly falling through the lava turtles for no reason, levels didn't initialize right until I restarted them a few times (second level not having the turtle or not having the rocks randomly), boulders going through portals, and then going through the floor, later to appear in some lava pool somewhere else.

The BASIS of the game, the portals didn't even really work right. The visual clipping plane didn't work right through a portal view. You could often see through the floor or would not see platforms that should have been there. I remember the level with 'vertical' in the name where you had to put portals in the cieling to drop down onto platforms being a royal PAIN becuase you could not see the platforms through the portal at all and just had to guess as to where to put them.

Maybe it is my drivers, but no other games give me troubles (prey, halflife2 and ep1, eq2, anarchy online, fear, mechwarrior 4 mercs). As you can see from the game list they are not just new games, but mix of nwe and old, but that NB game works like CRAP.

It is a good CONCEPT, but utterly awful execution and poor level design. I don't know WHY valve would hire those guys unless just afraid of being sued or accused of stealing the idea. Other than the concept of "gun makes portals", there wasnt anything good about NB in the level design or technical merit areas.

• eobeteobet Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Smudge wrote:
    Why the love for Narbacular Drop or whatever it was called? It was buggy as hell, with horrible clipping, and many objects didn't render through it's portals.

Buggy in terms of repeatedly falling through the lava turtles for no reason, levels didn't initialize right until I restarted them a few times (second level not having the turtle or not having the rocks randomly), boulders going through portals, and then going through the floor, later to appear in some lava pool somewhere else.

The BASIS of the game, the portals didn't even really work right. The visual clipping plane didn't work right through a portal view. You could often see through the floor or would not see platforms that should have been there. I remember the level with 'vertical' in the name where you had to put portals in the cieling to drop down onto platforms being a royal PAIN becuase you could not see the platforms through the portal at all and just had to guess as to where to put them.

Maybe it is my drivers, but no other games give me troubles (prey, halflife2 and ep1, eq2, anarchy online, fear, mechwarrior 4 mercs). As you can see from the game list they are not just new games, but mix of nwe and old, but that NB game works like CRAP.

It is a good CONCEPT, but utterly awful execution and poor level design. I don't know WHY valve would hire those guys unless just afraid of being sued or accused of stealing the idea. Other than the concept of "gun makes portals", there wasnt anything good about NB in the level design or technical merit areas.

Good post. I felt the same when I saw it.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Smudge wrote:

I had absolutely none of those problems.