Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Social Entropy++: AWESOME POST in "your changing musical tastes", by Monoxide

Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
tehcoolryan has reported a post.

Reason:
So true
Forum: Social Entropy++
Post: your changing musical tastes
Posted by: Monoxide


Original Content:
Koshian wrote: »
man, nerdcore sucks so bad
this is the correct post

its rap for white people who dislike "urban culture"

man, nerdcore bothers me so much and I hate to talk about it on these forums because there are so many people that are into it.

there's two problems with nerdcore. there's the fans who like nerdcore specifically because it has nerdy content, but dislike (or completely ignore) artists in the same musical genre as their favorite nerdcore emcee, some of whom even do the same thing lyrically. if you like rap with nerdy lyrics, how are you not going to listen to Wu-Tang? Deltron? Kool Keith? GZA did an entire album (which is great) about playing chess. That's extremely nerdy.

the other problem is that people consider it a musical genre, when it isn't. nerdcore doesn't describe a specific style of anything, and artists--that range from electronica, to hip hop, to rock--all push themselves as nerdcore because they decided to write all of their lyrics to fill that niche. You aren't a fan of nerdcore. You don't like nerdcore. You like hip hop. Or electro, or whatever. But you were awakened to that fact by people who pandered to your interests by making an electro record that talks specifically about things you might be able to catch a reference to. It's the lyrical equivalent of a Family Guy episode. Time to broaden your horizons.

Dr.Funkenstein on
TERRORSQUADSIG.gif

Posts

  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2008
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah this is pretty much 100% correct

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I only like Fett's Vette and even then it's only because it's about Star Wars really.

  • anableanable Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I only like Fett's Vette and even then it's only because it's about Star Wars really.

    I've read mcchris is not a fan of the "nerdcore" nomenclature.

  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MC Frontalot did the Achewood theme song, which is enough to make me not dislike nerdcore i guess

    Deltron is pretty awesome though.

    GxewS.png
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Five stars, easily.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not really relevant at all to my own music tastes, but a suggestion to broaden your musical horizons is always a welcome one. Well done.

    steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    anable wrote: »
    I only like Fett's Vette and even then it's only because it's about Star Wars really.

    I've read mcchris is not a fan of the "nerdcore" nomenclature.

    I could see that being the case. He's pretty cool/funny guy. Robitussin is actually pretty good too, and his Jedi Council skits are funny.

  • KreutzKreutz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nothing he says is incorrect.

  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I didn't hear about nerdcore until that video about Frontalot was posted on the front page by Gabe.

    I didn't think people would really categorize it as its own musical genre...but I guess I was wrong.

    3DS: 5112-3515-8441 | PSN: Nezandy | XBL: Arikado PA | BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | Twitter
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Do you like dags? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does Cut Copy count? I don't know if I like anything that is 'nerdcore' but I know that the name seems stupid to me. I guess I am kind of a closet nerd for the most part, though.

    RonaldoTheGypsy.png
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nerdcore is like christian rock except with niche pop culture references instead of biblical references. Both genres are comprised largely by mediocre musicians surfing a wave of blind consumer loyalty to their subject matter.

    The Genius of the Daleks

    Latest upload: Chapter Five on 13th of March, 2014
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Butler wrote: »
    Nerdcore is like christian rock except with niche pop culture references instead of biblical references. Both genres are comprised largely by mediocre musicians surfing a wave of blind consumer loyalty to their subject matter.

    Yes. The only real difference is that I'm not sure being a nerd is really a philosophy, whereas the lyrics in most christrian rock bands are literally shoving salvation down your throat. I guess you can sort of see nerdcore as advocating being a nerd, but it's not quite as obnoxious (to me) as christian rock.

    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Scrublet wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »
    Nerdcore is like christian rock except with niche pop culture references instead of biblical references. Both genres are comprised largely by mediocre musicians surfing a wave of blind consumer loyalty to their subject matter.

    Yes. The only real difference is that I'm not sure being a nerd is really a philosophy, whereas the lyrics in most christrian rock bands are literally shoving salvation down your throat. I guess you can sort of see nerdcore as advocating being a nerd, but it's not quite as obnoxious (to me) as christian rock.

    misuse of literally

    they are figuratively shoving things down your throat; if they literally were, you would suffocate

    in conclusion I hate you

  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You can't choke on salvation, Randall.

    BUT I WOULDN'T EXPECT A HEATHEN LIKE YOU TO UNDERSTAND THAT.

  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Good point. I'm going to leave it as it is so you can congratulate yourself all day on being smarter than me.

    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There is so much wrong with this thread, I don't know where to start. Actually, I do; One star.

    Let me tackle the OP first. The first "problem". Subject matter is important to what you listen to. I like most metal, but I don't really listen to death or black metal. I don't find killing people and painting in blood all the interesting, to be honest. Same with nerdcore, I don't generally find regular hip-hop all that interesting to listen to. Though I admit this is a stereotype, I don't care about the ghetto. Or gang culture, or fucking beezies, or selling dub-sacks. Its not my thing.

    As for the rap that isn't like this, case by case basis. I don't listen to Wu-Tang, even the chess album, because... I don't like chess? Sorry, not all nerds like the same shit. I do listen to traditional rap and hip-hop, but not as often as nerdcore, because hey, I like nerdy shit. Preference and all that jazz.

    Nerdcore is a genre, as much as Christian rock or gangsta rap is. You're wrong about who is nerdcore; Its nerdcore hip-hop for a reason. Yeah, there are some outliers who call themselves nerdcore who aren't a form of hip-hop, and we generally disagree with them. Guys like Johnathon Coulton generally consider themselves Geek Rock. Wrock artists like harry and the potters, Chiptunes like... well, I don't listen to many chiptunes, but they consider themselves as such.

    There are fans of nerdcore. Plenty of them. I've gotten quite a few of my friends into it. They aren't just hip-hop fans. Its about accessibility. Think of Nerdcore like the Wii, except backwards. Hip-hop is for the masses, but Nerdcore gives an easy transition for nerds, or just those who don't really like what mainstream hip-hop is about, to get into the musical type. Again, subject matter is important.

    Now, Re:butler(and also the end of monoxide's post). Nerdcore isn't just about nerdy references. If you think that, you've barely tasted the genre. Yeah, I could see if your exposure was a little MC Chris, a little YTcracker, and a little Frontalot, that you could think that. But really, you're just wrong.

    Optimus rhyme, for example. Lets take School the indie rockers. Yeah, Ping Pong and Obey the Moderator are heavily nerdy references. Thats two songs. The rest are just good songs with a nerdy flair to them, with sci-fi leanings(Super shiny metal), etc. Nerd Life from YTCracker? The title does it justice. It has a number of nerdy references, sure, but its more a nerd pride album. The songs are about being on top of shit, popular, etc, while being a nerd.

    The Graduate from MC Lars? There's hardly many nerdy references at all. Sure, you can be anal-retentive and call him Post-punk laptop rap, but he freely associates with the nerdcore title people give him. Ughuuhghhhh from Emergency Pizza Party? Again, Nerdy flair, but few references. Hell, Calvin and Hobbes from T.Y.T and DJ Snyder. Its nerdy, but its not just star wars and PC references, quite the opposite.

    Speaking of which, mediocre artists? Yeah, maybe if you only listen to MC Chris and Hawking. You're telling me Wheelie Cyberman, Zealous 1, T.Y.T, Entity are all mediocre rappers? I could see arguments about people like Frontalot and Lars being mediocre live, but hell.


    Basically, if you don't know much about a genre, don't talk about it. I don't like Punk, but I don't go around spouting bullshit and talking out of my ass just because I don't like it. And yes, I'm biased, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    There are fans of nerdcore. Plenty of them.
    nevernude.jpg
    There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

    It's an easy game to hate
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You don't like TF2, you aren't allowed to judge the quality of anything ever.

    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited June 2008
    Whenever people start talking about nerdcore my urge to wedgie becomes almost uncontrollable.

  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    You don't like TF2, you aren't allowed to judge the quality of anything ever.

    Goddamn, I hate everything you are.

    2mong9u.jpg
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY EVERY DAYRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    excellent post five stars would read again

    xcomsig.png
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    There are fans of nerdcore. Plenty of them.
    nevernude.jpg
    There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

    ahahaha oh god this is amazing

    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    000015_17.jpg

    The Genius of the Daleks

    Latest upload: Chapter Five on 13th of March, 2014
  • edited June 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    There is so much wrong with this thread, I don't know where to start. Actually, I do; One star.

    Let me tackle the OP first. The first "problem". Subject matter is important to what you listen to. I like most metal, but I don't really listen to death or black metal. I don't find killing people and painting in blood all the interesting, to be honest. Same with nerdcore, I don't generally find regular hip-hop all that interesting to listen to. Though I admit this is a stereotype, I don't care about the ghetto. Or gang culture, or fucking beezies, or selling dub-sacks. Its not my thing.
    1) not all black/death metal is about killing people and painting in blood, listen to fucking Oathbound by Summoning or something you dumbass

    2) hey nice job proving you're completely out of touch you racist stereotyping piece of shit (btw admitting it's a stereotype doesn't give you an excuse to post whatever the fuck you want without getting called out on it)

    3) go quote Portal some more you big gay nerd i bet you love doing that
    Basically, if you don't know much about a genre, dont talk about it
    nice advice consider taking it yourself since you don't seem to know anything about metal or hiphop yet went on for it at the beginning of your post

  • DevnoimagDevnoimag Registered User
    edited June 2008
    I don't think people should have to justify their musical preferences, and I don't get the elitist "I listen to genre X, as genre Y is clearly below me." If my mix CD goes from Bela Fleck to Slipknot to Miles Davis to MC Frontalot to Beethoven, does it tell you something about me as a person? :| Yeah, it tells you that I like that music.

  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kevar wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    There is so much wrong with this thread, I don't know where to start. Actually, I do; One star.

    Let me tackle the OP first. The first "problem". Subject matter is important to what you listen to. I like most metal, but I don't really listen to death or black metal. I don't find killing people and painting in blood all the interesting, to be honest. Same with nerdcore, I don't generally find regular hip-hop all that interesting to listen to. Though I admit this is a stereotype, I don't care about the ghetto. Or gang culture, or fucking beezies, or selling dub-sacks. Its not my thing.
    1) not all black/death metal is about killing people and painting in blood, listen to fucking Oathbound by Summoning or something you dumbass

    2) hey nice job proving you're completely out of touch you racist stereotyping piece of shit (btw admitting it's a stereotype doesn't give you an excuse to post whatever the fuck you want without getting called out on it)

    3) go quote Portal some more you big gay nerd i bet you love doing that
    Basically, if you don't know much about a genre, dont talk about it
    nice advice consider taking it yourself since you don't seem to know anything about metal or hiphop yet went on for it at the beginning of your post

    For starters, I admitted I was stereotyping somewhat, and I wasn't saying all of a certain genre was about those things. But those stereotypes came from somewhere. I also said I generally don't like to listen to them, not never. Regardless of the specifics, I generally don't enjoy the subject matter of those genres.

    I'm being a racist, by saying gangster rap often talks about certain subjects? Really? Thats the biggest stretch I've heard in a long time.

    You pretty much just flame me the rest of the post, so there's nothing really to reply to.

    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    You can't choke on salvation, Randall.

    I wanna get down on my knees and start pleasin' Jesus
    I wanna feel his salvation all over my face
    :whistle:

  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited June 2008
    the stereotype about jews being greedy came from their status as moneylenders hundreds of years ago therefore it is ok to say that jews are chiselling bastards.

    QED

  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    the stereotype about jews being greedy came from their status as moneylenders hundreds of years ago therefore it is ok to say that jews are chiselling bastards.

    QED

    'course, medieval Christians thought that the Bible forbade usury, so they couldn't become moneylenders. Jews could, and since there weren't really any other jobs that gentiles weren't already hiring each other to do, they did. Nowadays the rest of us don't care about that 'forbiddance of usury' crap, the difference being that we chisel people because we're dicks, whereas the Jews chiselled people to survive.

    And also because they're dicks.

  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited June 2008
    that wasn't really the point I was making

Sign In or Register to comment.