As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One-Man Rock Band (Part II) -- Week 15: Celebrity Skin

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yellow, Red, Blue, Yellow, Yellow, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Red, Blue (should be PS3 code)

All songs can be done from Solo Quickplay. Vocals cannot be done as part of a band (multipliers and such).

I tried that on the main menu, but apparently it has to be done with the drums, I hear?

I only have the guitar.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yellow, Red, Blue, Yellow, Yellow, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Red, Blue (should be PS3 code)

All songs can be done from Solo Quickplay. Vocals cannot be done as part of a band (multipliers and such).

I tried that on the main menu, but apparently it has to be done with the drums, I hear?

I only have the guitar.

Red, Yellow, Blue, Red, Red Blue, Blue, Red, Yellow, Blue

Maybe?

I don't know... Does a headset work for vocals on the PS3? It's a tier 5 song that way.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2008

I only have the guitar.

Red, Yellow, Blue, Red, Red Blue, Blue, Red, Yellow, Blue

Maybe?

I don't know... Does a headset work for vocals on the PS3? It's a tier 5 song that way.

I don't have a headset regardless.

I can wait for tomorrow's, it's cool.

UnbreakableVow on
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    JoahW's submission
    Guitar (Expert): 233,711 GS (FC)
    Bass (Expert): 229,456 GS (FC)
    Drums (Expert): 245,768 GS
    Vocals (Expert): 174,903 GS
    Total: 883,838
    I think if I played it a lot more I could have FCed drums, but I settled for a -2 or -3 run. The SP activations are really weird for guitar and bass on this song, so rather than attempting to memorize I just used SP when I felt like it, so my scores are far from ideal. Vocals are hurt by that ridiculously quiet phrase.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is it still for Cherub Rock? The OP said submit scores by June 30.

That's why I was waiting.

Probably from a bad edit of the OP. That is the date for last week's song. The cutoff time for each weak is [strike]noon[/strike] 5p GMT every Monday. Most folks do it Sunday night (in the States).

EDIT:
    Guess it's noon Eastern time...

What? There's nothing wrong with the OP. Just look!
    Oops, fixed. :oops:

Also, completely forgot to run this song this week, so no scores from me. I've been spending the weekend programming a Starpower optimizer for Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. :P Just got it working too.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    my scores
    guitar (expert) - 188,526 - 5 stars
    bass (expert) - 198,855 - 5 stars
    vocals (expert) - 165,226 - gold star

last week told me I am a MUCH worse guitarist than pretty much anyone else here...but what better way to get better? Already seeing some benefits...also helps to play through each part twice. :D

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • reach42reach42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My scores
    Expert Drums-130,003 2nd run through ever on expert :|
    Expert Guitar-170,299
    Expert Bass- 175,980
    Expert Vocals-99,818 almost 5 starred!

Total- 576,100

reach42 on
    reach42.png
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MidgetSpy's Score Submission:
    Guitar (Expert): 233,289
    Bass (Expert): 232,452
    Drums (Expert): 235,875
    Vocals (Expert): 186,204

Total: 887,820

I knew I'd never FC it on drums but I did manage to get gold stars which I'm really happy with. I ended up doing the same as JoahW on guitar, just making the path up as I went along. It looks like vocals might balance my drum score out enough this week hopefully!

Also, 2 things:

1) Can you guys please all submit in the same instrument order? Guitar, Bass, Drums, Vocals. I keep putting the wrong scores in the wrong places with everybody in a different order, hehe.

2) To the people who don't submit all 4 instruments... why not? I mean, even if the score you didn't submit was 1 point it's still better than not submitting at all, and a "measly" 25k or 50k could easily bump you up a rank or 2 in the overall ranks. Plus, you'll only get better at that instrument!

midgetspy on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    my scores
    guitar (expert) - 188,526 - 5 stars
    bass (expert) - 198,855 - 5 stars
    vocals (expert) - 165,226 - gold star

last week told me I am a MUCH worse guitarist than pretty much anyone else here...but what better way to get better? Already seeing some benefits...also helps to play through each part twice. :D

It's tough competing against the usual suspects if you don't learn/master the optimal pathing and squeeze techniques. I'm usually happy with my scores because they all see a general improvement. Though I suspect it has more to do with midgetspy's lag tips. I figure one week I'll get a banner when they go on vacation or something.

Is it too much to hope for system failure?
    Ha ha! You suck! Give up kiddo!
    Much love me bredren.

EDIT:
    midgetspy wrote: »
    2) To the people who don't submit all 4 instruments... why not? I mean, even if the score you didn't submit was 1 point it's still better than not submitting at all, and a "measly" 25k or 50k could easily bump you up a rank or 2 in the overall ranks. Plus, you'll only get better at that instrument!
    I'd love to. Except the thing is, I bought the game used, software-only. I don't have the drum kit. I'd personally have no problem submitting a raggedy-ass Easy score if I could, you know, actually get one. I think I'll just wait for RB2 to get the full kit.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2008

I don't have drums or a microphone, and have no intention to get them. However, I still love competition and I do love guitar/bass.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2008

I pretty much just don't find drums and vocals fun. I like singing, but Rock Band's perverted version of it really takes the fun out of it for me.

I just realized a few weeks ago that I was dreading the obligatory drums and vocal runs for this thread, so I just stopped doing them.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • meteredsectionmeteredsection Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Whelp, I was going to work on drums/vocals this evening, but I just don't have it in me after my run through the endless setlist (and my voice is so shot I probably couldn't improve those anyway). So let's just submit now:
    Guitar (Expert): 230,440
    Bass (Expert): 228,329
    Drums (Expert): 198,139
    Vocals (Expert): 157,795

Total: 814,703

At the very least, each of these is a personal best for me (except, as I said, for my unrecorded, vaguely remembered, maybe fake gold stars on drums once), so I'm not unhappy.

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lalala~
    Guitar: 232,028
    Bass: 222,038
    Drums: 123,366
    Vocals: 84,871

Total: 662,303

FC on the guitar. I kept missing one or two notes on bass and eventually got tired of trying to FC it. Vocals are terrible as usual.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
    edited July 2008
    MidgetSpy's Score Submission:
    Guitar (Expert): 233,289
    Bass (Expert): 232,452
    Drums (Expert): 235,875
    Vocals (Expert): 186,204

Total: 887,820

I knew I'd never FC it on drums but I did manage to get gold stars which I'm really happy with. I ended up doing the same as JoahW on guitar, just making the path up as I went along. It looks like vocals might balance my drum score out enough this week hopefully!

Also, 2 things:

1) Can you guys please all submit in the same instrument order? Guitar, Bass, Drums, Vocals. I keep putting the wrong scores in the wrong places with everybody in a different order, hehe.

Hehe, dang, good show. I knew vocals was going to be my downfall.

Pick another hard drum song for next week, k? :P

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can't submit this round

my ps2 decided to stop working

we'll see about getting a new one

Raneados on
    edited July 2008

For my part I simply haven't moved my drums from the guitar to my living room and set them up in a while. I wasn't really sure how much I'd enjoy this so I just had been doing whatever instruments/parts sounded fun to do for the last couple songs, but now that it does seem to be fun, plus gives me a noble goal to achieve via rock band each week, I'll see about dusting off da skins for next round...on medium

edit: umm, my drums are actually in my garage...not in my guitar.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, I'm just now getting adjusted to the physical nature of my new job, so not my best showing this week as I just didn't feel like really woodsheding it to up my scores.

BlackDragon480's score submission:
    Guitar: 216,698 GS
    Bass: 207,498 GS
    Drums: 160,690 (this is the one that really suffered this week, but at least I 5 starred it, for some reason my bass, vocals, and drums scores didn't update online) 5S
    Vocals (Hard): 85,282 5S

Total Score: 670,168

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I forgot to write down my scores and my 360 is in a box while the room I play in is being painted. The Leaderboards webpage hasn't updated in a week. :|

I did crack a nice vocals score but still a few hundred from the top brass. I think it was 186,600 or so.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited July 2008
    Week 9 results: 9 forumers submitted scores for Cherub Rock

Click for results
    This week's winner is MidgetSpy with an overall score of 887,820

Top 3 Overall
    1. MidgetSpy: 887,820
    2. JoahW: 883,838
    3. meteredsection: 814,703

Honorable Mention
    • Best guitarist goes to quovadis13 with a score of 238,203
    • Best bassist goes to MidgetSpy with a score of 232,452
    • Best drummer goes to JoahW with a score of 245,768
    • Best vocalist goes to MidgetSpy with a score of 186,204

Misc Stats
    • The One-Man Superband score is 902,627
    • MidgetSpy was 14,807 points away from attaining the One-Man Superband score
    • The most important instrument was Drums (most points available)
    • The most competitive instrument was Bass (tightest distribution)
    • The worst domination was MidgetSpy on Vocals (11,301 points away from the nearest competitor)

Top 10 lists
    Top 10 Overall
    1. MidgetSpy: 887,820
    2. JoahW: 883,838
    3. meteredsection: 814,703
    4. quovadis13: 760,478
    5. BlackDragon480: 670,168
    6. Omeks: 662,303
    7. Santa Claustrophobia: 592,711
    8. reach42: 576,100
    9. the Togfather: 552,607

Top 10 Guitar
    1. quovadis13: 238,203
    2. JoahW: 233,711
    3. MidgetSpy: 233,289
    4. Omeks: 232,028
    5. Santa Claustrophobia: 231,478
    6. meteredsection: 230,440
    7. BlackDragon480: 216,698
    8. the Togfather: 188,526
    9. reach42: 170,299
    Top 10 Bass
    1. MidgetSpy: 232,452
    2. quovadis13: 231,005
    3. JoahW: 229,456
    4. meteredsection: 228,329
    5. Santa Claustrophobia: 226,577
    6. Omeks: 222,038
    7. BlackDragon480: 207,498
    8. the Togfather: 198,855
    9. reach42: 175,980
    Top 10 Drums
    1. JoahW: 245,768
    2. MidgetSpy: 235,875
    3. quovadis13: 208,362
    4. meteredsection: 198,139
    5. BlackDragon480: 160,690
    6. reach42: 130,003
    7. Omeks: 123,366
    Top 10 Vocals
    1. MidgetSpy: 186,204
    2. JoahW: 174,903
    3. the Togfather: 165,226
    4. meteredsection: 157,795
    5. Santa Claustrophobia: 134,656
    6. reach42: 99,818
    7. BlackDragon480: 85,282
    8. Omeks: 84,871
    9. quovadis13: 82,908

All Results
    pa.week.9.jpg

midgetspy on
    edited July 2008
    I dunno, any suggestions? I've got a few in my head but I dunno which people would enjoy most.

- Working Man by Rush: hard on every instrument, nuts on guitar
    - Crushcrushcrush by Paramore: easy on every instrument, but really fun IMO
    - any Boston song, cause they're all awesome on every instrument
    - Highway Star: again, nuts on every instrument
    - ?

EDIT: Oh also, 2 things about the OP. First, we should give Lunker credit for creating the sig banners for us. And 2nd, should we put links to OD paths for those who don't know?

On-disc:
    Drums: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8856
    Vocals: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8091
    Guitar: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1013
    Bass: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1014

DLC:
    Drums: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9018
    Vocals: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6376

midgetspy on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you really want to do Working Man, I would suggest waiting a week to see what the new version coming out this week is like.

I have no problem with anything. I will just let the mob pick the song this week.

quovadis13 on
    edited July 2008
    For DLC, I would pick Working Man. For the main setlist, I really want to do Highway Star.

But with Working Man, I'd probably wait until the new master version comes out for next week.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
    edited July 2008
    I'm just excited to have reached top 3 in vocals (thanks to Arikado's extenuating circumstances). I'll play whatever, and I'll try to break my drums out this week as well. It would be nice for my ego to jump up that top-10 overall list.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
    edited July 2008
    If you pick a Boston song, Peace of Mind or Rock and Roll Band are good picks.
    If you pick Working Man, as mentioned before, wait and see how this week's version is.

Otherwise, I'll weigh in on either Debaser or Dead from Doolittle since they're stupidly easy on vocals and we'd get more people submitting 100% GS scores for those songs. If they have them.

Arikado on
    edited July 2008
    I like the Peace of Mind idea, I love it on guitar and drums and I'm sure vocals & bass are fun as well. And hopefully it's a fairly common DLC song since the Boston pack is pretty much the #1 must-buy pack IMO, hehe.

midgetspy on
    edited July 2008
    Next week (or the week after) we should do the live version of My Generation. It's 15 minutes long. haha. As for this week, Working Man is a good choice.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • meteredsectionmeteredsection Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is it too late for me to throw in a vote for Outside? I really enjoy that on all instruments, and it's relatively challenging, too.

Edit: And last week someone requested Limelight - let's make sure we get around to doing that one at some point, at least!

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
    edited July 2008
    China Cat Sunflower anyone? That song's great on guitar at least - no clue about the other instruments.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My nominations are "Something About You" by Boston because it's not appreciated enough for how fun it is on every instrument or "CrushCrush" since Paramore isn't appreciated enough in general.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would second China Cat Sunflower or Working Man.

metaghost on
    edited July 2008
    Ahahaha! I wonder how many people are brave enough to sing China Cat Sunflower for this. Imagine all the high pitched areas for any Boston song. Now imagine singing that same high pitched lines about 12 times over and over. Now imagine that each line is slightly differently pitched with a half note either higher or lower. Ok, now cut yourself.

Seriously, for the sake of drums and vocals, I'd steer clear from Truckin' and China Cat Sunflower.

Arikado on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I hate China Cat Sunflower despite the fact that it's fun on guitar. It makes sense to wait until the Working Man master is out before doing it so lets do a Boston song.

Something About You it is.

Next week we should definitely consider Outside or Highway Star, those are both great on-disc picks.

midgetspy on
    edited July 2008
    Something About You? Yay. I love that song so much on drums. Perhaps I'll get some decent drum scores this week.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
    edited July 2008
    OP updated + new FAQ sections (including OD and some other frequently asked questions) and credit to Lunker for banners.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh sweeeeet.

So excited to play this all week and have an excuse to neglect the other songs.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited July 2008
    Posting my scores a day early, because I don't think I can top these scores, and getting kind of tired of Something About You.
    Something About You
    Guitar (Expert): 139,349 (Gold Star) 98% 227 Streak
    Bass (Expert): 135,130 (Gold Star) 100%

No need to post my total score if I only do guitar and bass, right?

UnbreakableVow on
  • MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    UnbreakableVow's early post reminded me that I wanted to get in on this sometime.
    So, these scores are about 50,000 off the maximal sum, but I just cannot get in my guitar groove today (the other scores were going to be under by a bit anyway), and I'm just getting frustrated now. (Mass Effect time!)
    Guitar (expert): 141,521 GS
    Bass (expert): 134,681 GS
    Drums (expert): 145,575 5S

And finally because I wanted to throw something up for this:
    Vocals (easy): 22,710 5S (I think)

Total (hah): 444,487
    I'm so bad at singing.

Malyonsus on
    edited July 2008
    My scores:
    Guitar: 152,317 (expert, GS)
    Bass: 139,101 (expert, GS, FC)
    Drums: 137,650 (expert)
    Vocals: 51,851 (hard)

Total: 480,919

I was happy with my guitar and bass runs. There's no way I was gonna FC guitar with those crazy HOPOs near the end, but I'm only about 10,000 away from the top score on the 360 leaderboards, so that's okay. I'm also apparently number 17 on the bass leaderboards.

Oh, and fuck the Boston songs on vocals. I almost didn't even bother posting my pathetic score.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
    edited July 2008
    Here are mine. And yes, Brad Delp was not made for Baritone/Bass singers. Neither were harmonies, so fuck that one at the end.
    Guitar (Expert) 142322
    Bass (Expert) 136490

Vocals (Hard) 114068

Total 392880

Santa Claustrophobia on