As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One-Man Rock Band (Part II) -- Week 15: Celebrity Skin

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »
    Who Are You is my vote if only for the fact that people won't have to sit around for that huge break for 4 runs at the very least.

Just for three...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can get behind Who are You only because Wont Get Fooled Again will be a chore to 5-star on drums.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Assuming you do all the instruments and then vocals like the competition is designed for then that would be 4 times.

However my drumset's trashed so I may be doing only 3 myself this week. Between the multi-tracked everything in Outside and my lack of decent drums I was way too frustrated to keep working at last week, but I'll gladly do some Who songs.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was talking about the break down in Who are You. The one were only the guitar is playing.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    BTW doing current-week DLC isn't really fair to PS3 users since we don't get it until late Thursday afternoon where 360 users get it late Monday night.

This makes no sense. One, because I don't recall anybody suggesting current week DLC as the choice. And two, even on a Thursday afternoon, that's still three whole days (mostly on the weekend) to run some scores down.

Don't you use ScoreHero to help with OD pathing? How much time do you need to do this? I usually spend about an hour on Sunday doing about three runs to try and get a score. And except for the Vocals (on Hard) and Drums (no Drums), my Guitar scores are pretty competitive.

I can understand the point you're making and I agree with it anyway. It just sounds a bit hollow coming from the dude who's won practically every week they've played. Just sayin'.

I'm not participating anyway, I just wanted to bring the difference in release dates to attention. I usually would play mine early in the week because weekends are pretty busy so I assume others are the same. *shrug*

midgetspy on
  • Options
    meteredsectionmeteredsection Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, what's the verdict then?

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to arbitrarily choose Who Are You? since it's less played-to-death than Won't Get Fooled Again.

Updated OP coming soon...

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Who are you is a great song. I'm going to try out for this one.

My problem is that i get fucked on bars with steady bass beats and quick drum rolls. and keith moon loves those.

Sanius on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    OP updated. Some of the results moved to my second post to avoid going over per-post character cap.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Quick question sort of regarding this.

For the leaderboards in the game, do they update with any offline scores once you go online or are they just lost forever?

I let my brother borrow my drums so the only way I can think of to check my score is through the leaderboards. If my highest old drum run was while offline though then there's no way to check without plugging in a drum controller, right?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Right, your per-song scores won't update ever if you got them offline. If you did it in quickplay offline your score's gone forever, if you did it in career offline you can get to it only with the drum controller.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Thanks, I guess I'll just hope that I don't have a score offline that's better than my online one for this week then.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's not totally clear from your comments, but it's worth noting that you should be only posting scores here that you obtained during the week (specifically, scores you've earned after the song choice has been made). Old scores aren't supposed to count, even if they're better than what you get during the week of competition.

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Right, your per-song scores won't update ever if you got them offline.

They said they were fixing this for RB2 didn't they?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Last I heard, in Rock Band 2 all your scores are being compiled and updated at Rock Central the moment you connect to the webs. Plus, quickplay saves your scores as well.

Also, I that PAX RB Online tourney (in the PAX forum) is horrible. I would imagine that they'd just use the format we use here or just make 4-man Band Quickplay scores the medium. Oh well.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah that's pretty much the worst RB tourney ever... I think the guy who's running it probably doesn't have much experience with RB.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sure it's guitar hero style, but besides that it seems fine.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well the fact that it pretends that vocals don't even exist is a bit off. Bass I can accept since it is played the same way as guitar, but vocals?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I will get the ball rolling here

My Scores
    Guitar - 144264 (5 Star)
    Bass - 105540 (FC, Gold)
    Drums - 153925 (5 Star!)
    Vocals - 63441 (3 Star)

Total - 467170

I hardly had anytime to get these scores in. I should be able to gold star guitar, but only managed 2 runs on it this week. FC'd bass but with no path. Played drums 3 times and managed to 5 star it on my last run. I hit a bunch of the rolls at the end which boosted me to the 5 star and got me super psyched. I actually finished the song with a x4 multiplier which is awesome. You either get those rolls or you are just slightly off and it messes everything up. And token vocals.......whatever.

I dont have that much time available for this week, so we will see if I can get some scores up for whatever we chose. Hopefully we pick a shorter song so I can potentially run through it a couple of times on everything.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No reliable drums for this one. Didn't feel like doing guitar.
    Vocals (Expert): 229,965 GS

I had a FC until the last 6 phrases. Then it was all Strong and Okay lines. Really wasn't up for it this week.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Didn't have time for vocals today. Guess I'll submit what I have:
    Guitar (Expert): 140,329
    Bass (Expert): 107,874
    Drums (Expert): 137,250

Total: 385,453

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Go, go, Gadget results!
    Guitar (Expert) 133370
    Bass (Expert) 110593

Vocals (Hard) 169177

Total 413140

EDIT:
    To coin a phrase, 'whoops'. I forgot to include the totals...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Results - JoahW
    Week 14 - Who Are You
    Guitar (Expert): 148,424
    Bass (Expert): 105,953
    Drums (Expert): 171,325
    Vocals (Expert): 197,165
    Total: 622,867
    Guitar is a little tragic, because on my first playthrough, I killed the solo (>95%) but didn't know when to use SP so my SP path was godawful. On later playthroughs I could never match solo percentage, so even with a much better path I would come like 5k short of my old score.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Week 14 results: 5 forumers submitted scores for Who Are You

Click for results
    This week's winner is JoahW with an overall score of 622,867

Top 3 Overall
    1. JoahW: 622,867
    2. quovadis13: 467,170
    3. Santa Claustrophobia: 413,140

Honorable Mention
    • Best guitarist goes to JoahW with a score of 148,424
    • Best bassist goes to Santa Claustrophobia with a score of 110,593
    • Best drummer goes to JoahW with a score of 171,325
    • Best vocalist goes to Arikado with a score of 229,965

Misc Stats
    • The One-Man Superband score is 660,307
    • JoahW was 37,440 points away from attaining the One-Man Superband score
    • The most important instrument was Vocals (most points available)
    • The most competitive instrument was Bass (tightest distribution)
    • The worst domination was Arikado on Vocals (32,800 points away from the nearest competitor)

Top 10 lists
    Top 10 Overall
    1. JoahW: 622,867
    2. quovadis13: 467,170
    3. Santa Claustrophobia: 413,140
    4. meteredsection: 385,453
    5. Arikado: 229,965

Top 10 Guitar
    1. JoahW: 148,424
    2. quovadis13: 144,264
    3. meteredsection: 140,329
    4. Santa Claustrophobia: 133,370
    Top 10 Bass
    1. Santa Claustrophobia: 110,593
    2. meteredsection: 107,874
    3. JoahW: 105,953
    4. quovadis13: 105,540
    Top 10 Drums
    1. JoahW: 171,325
    2. quovadis13: 153,925
    3. meteredsection: 137,250
    Top 10 Vocals
    1. Arikado: 229,965
    2. JoahW: 197,165
    3. Santa Claustrophobia: 169,177
    4. quovadis13: 63,441

All Results
    pa.week.14.jpg

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Once I recover from this weekend and get some work done at home, I'm totally going back and FCing this damn track. I get so frustrated when the end of the song kills my FC.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So... next song?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    How about Celebrity Skin?

I've noticed that many songs that are picked end up being either long or challenging/difficult. So how about something relatively short and simple? Should provide a tighter spread of points per instrument.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hearing no opposition, we're doing Celebrity Skin peeps.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I just realized I forgot to put up the results... but I guess I didn't miss much ;-P

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    PAX planning, birthdays, and a messed up wifi network is eating up all my free time. I probably won't jump back into this until after PAX.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It looks like this idea is losing some steam. I would expect interest to pick back up when RB2 is released. And then standard rants about songs selected would probably whittle away at the crowd. Couple that with the usual suspects winning most of the time and it's not going to help much.

Unfortunately, I don't think the RB community is strong enough on this board for this idea.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    FWIW, I just didn't play this week because it's been so hot around here I haven't wanted to fire up the projector, which does not double as an air conditioner.

I also think it would help to make an early, defintive song selection, rather than trying to wander aimlessly into consensus. The original plan was for last week's winner to pick. How about we go back to that (go go gadget JoahW), and if the winner hasn't selected within 24 hours of the submission deadline, we pick a song with the random number generator.

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If there are still people up for this, we could keep going. Otherwise, I'd suggest a hiatus until the release of RB2 for 360, which is only like 3 weeks away.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If there are still people up for this, we could keep going. Otherwise, I'd suggest a hiatus until the release of RB2 for 360, which is only like 3 weeks away.

I'll cry myself to sleep every Sunday night...

I will definitely rejoin this for RB2, since I'll be playing through the careers anyway... it'll be actually fun to do the career songs instead of having to rely on DLC to keep it spicy.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I didn't play this week due to my 360 borking and having to go to the doc's. I also didn't submit last week since I didn't have The Who song.

Putting the thread off until RB2 comes out will re-ignite the thread, I think. Plus, we can focus on some of the earlier easier songs since some players might not get through the campaign or whatever for a while on given instruments.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I always mean to participate...

On the topic of choice though, it seems like there should just be a rotation.
    Have people sign-up and then select an order.

metaghost on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If I could do Expert Drums, I might. :P

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If we're voting, I wouldn't mind if we kept going. I need something to keep me occupied for the next 3 weeks!

Plus, midgetspy won't let us play the RB2 songs until it comes out on PS3, so it'll be more than 3 weeks. :)

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ok, we can continue. It's not that much work to maintain, so really it doesn't matter a whole lot if no one participates.

Any suggestions for songs?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    How about a Pixies song? Just picked up the pack due to the points sale at Target and goddamn are those fun.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png