As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So...I'm just gonna go ahead and make a new [chat]

• Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I cannot do pushups like at all.

Get a stability ball, lay on top of it, with the ball under your stomach. It cuts the weight you have to lift to a manageable amount if you haven't got the arm strength to lift your whole body weight. Plus, your legs on the other side of the ball give you some leverage, like a see-saw. As you get better, you can move the ball lower to decrease the leverage and increase the amount of weight your arms are supporting.

This is the way I do them, because I can't do regular ones. Eventually, I expect to do regular push-ups, but I figure that it's more important that I'm getting a good workout and improving than that I meet some external standard of "correct" push-ups.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    Also, screw you, whoever invented the phrase ‘pardon my French’. You sucked.
    So what do you say when you need to use bad or unnecessary French?
    Somehow my life avoids that situation.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    A competition to see who can come up with the best backhanded compliment or subtle brag.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Y’know who’s weird? Grace Jones.

stilist on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When you ask me the question "have you ever seen the movie..." the chances are pretty high for a yes.
    So... yes.
    What I'm getting at is... when was the last time you were sick? Are you a poor swimmer? Have you ever miraculously survived a train wreck?

Bama on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goddammit. Only got four hours of sleep last night. Today is going to suck.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »

Get a stability ball, lay on top of it, with the ball under your stomach. It cuts the weight you have to lift to a manageable amount if you haven't got the arm strength to lift your whole body weight. Plus, your legs on the other side of the ball give you some leverage, like a see-saw. As you get better, you can move the ball lower to decrease the leverage and increase the amount of weight your arms are supporting.

This is the way I do them, because I can't do regular ones. Eventually, I expect to do regular push-ups, but I figure that it's more important that I'm getting a good workout and improving than that I meet some external standard of "correct" push-ups.

It's pretty weird, cause I can lift much, but I'm unable to perform push-ups. Also, my wrists hurt when I try it.

Edit: I'm the party place for viruses and bacteria, Bama, don't worry. ;-)

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I bet you also hate the guy that invented the dialysis machine.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I bet you also hate the guy that invented the dialysis machine.
    The difference is that person improved the world.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Before the other guy, when someone's French wasn't so good but they had to use it anyway they just looked like an asshole. Now they can warn people. We're all better off for this.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

It's pretty weird, cause I can lift much, but I'm unable to perform push-ups. Also, my wrists hurt when I try it.

Someone in the push-ups thread (mcdermott?) was saying they do them on their knuckles to keep their wrists from hurting. I can't even imagine trying that, though. Also, depending on what type of lifts you are doing, they may be using different muscle groups than the push-ups.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Before the other guy, when someone's French wasn't so good but they had to use it anyway they just looked like an asshole. Now they can warn people. We're all better off for this.
    We may be discussing separate uses of the phrase. It’s more likely you’re being difficult, though. :P

stilist on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Someone in the push-ups thread (mcdermott?) was saying they do them on their knuckles to keep their wrists from hurting. I can't even imagine trying that, though. Also, depending on what type of lifts you are doing, they may be using different muscle groups than the push-ups.
    I got into the habit of doing pushups on my knuckles a while back and it now feels weird to do them on my palms. I don't remember my wrists hurting, though.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'll try that knuckle thing and see where it goes.

Edit: After I've rebuild my computer.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    We may be discussing separate uses of the phrase. It’s more likely you’re being difficult, though. :P
    Don't hate on the phrase for a particular usage. I mean, heroin is pretty bad but we don't curse the guy that invented the hypodermic needle. [TINY]I'm totally being difficult.[/TINY]

Bama on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, Bama, "pardon my french" is never used when talking about actual french words.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    My office desperately needs a napping room.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Yeah, Bama, "pardon my french" is never used when talking about actual french words.
    But it could be.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So today I got the new Paste, and I’m reminded of two things:

1) Music journalism is so boring.
    2) Corporate sponsorship is at ridiculous levels.

(These are universal, not just for Paste)

stilist on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Knuckle pushups are the way to go.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    But it could be.

Pardon my French, but....

Deux.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Every office needs one. Or a hammock room.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

When I worked security at Banker's Hall in Calgary someone had left the door to the Royal Bank unlocked one night (!). We ended up having to do a thorough search of Calgary's largest Royal Bank to ensure that no one had come in. They have a goddamn bedroom in the back.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

When I worked security at Banker's Hall in Calgary someone had left the door to the Royal Bank unlocked one night (!). We ended up having to do a thorough search of Calgary's largest Royal Bank to ensure that no one had come in. They have a goddamn bedroom in the back.
    For entertaining clients or for sleeping?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So a friend of mine called yesterday. He was passing through town but his flight got delayed so he was going to miss his connection and didn't want to spend the night in the airport (the next flight out is leaving right about now, actually). Being the awesome friend that I am, I told him he could sleep at my house. He got in at 11, we got back to my house around 12, we drank beers until 1:30, I got up at 5 to make my 7 am flight this morning, I have a meeting in an hour and I feel fucking fantastic. Being in your 20s is so awesome.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'd be useless on three and a half hours sleep.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I had about four hours of sleep and I'm feeling pretty groggy.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    But it could be.

Pardon my French, but....

Deux.
    Pardon my Latin, but quod erat demonstrandum.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I pretty much get the magazine because I paid $11 for a year’s subscription and each issue has a sampler disc.

stilist on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just got an email from Blizzard saying they cancelled my WoW account. This is somewhat puzzling. :<

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The pushups thread has really taken off.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Arasaki wrote: »
    I just got an email from Blizzard saying they cancelled my WoW account. This is somewhat puzzling. :<

They are cancelling everyone's account, it's their first step to world domination.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They're doing you a favor.

Either that, or someone spoofing them is trying to get you to give away account information.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That would explain a lot.

And their billing department is closed. Stupid timezones.

Edit: It was definitely Blizzard, I checked on the actual account page and it was cancelled. The only thing I can think of is that my card expired, but that was about 4 months ago.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They're doing you a favor.

Either that, or someone spoofing them is trying to get you to give away account information.

I'd say the second is more likely.

Someone took the PayPal spoof model and applied to to the world's largest MMO. It was only a matter of time.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They are cancelling everyone's account, it's their first step to world domination.
    The plan is to wait a month so all the nerds get really angry, then reveal that Blizzard was actually run by the government.

stilist on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "Dear Arasaki,

We don't want your stinking money. Seriously, do you know how much cash people are just throwing at us these days? Fuck you.

Respectfully,

Blizzard"

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The plan is to wait a month so all the nerds get really angry, then reveal that Blizzard was actually run by the government.

When do they transport all the WoW players to the acid mines on Neptune?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So my wallet was stolen

Great

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    that sucks pods

MikeMan on
This discussion has been closed.