As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tent Camping/Hiking in Colorado

RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm going on vacation next week, we're staying in hotels for two days, and tent camping for 3. I've done it before plenty of times, but haven't done it so far away from home. We will also be doing a lot of hiking, so I figured I'd run it by you guys and just make sure I've got it covered:

Living quarters:
Tent, tarp, extra stakes, rope, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, small pillow

Food/Water:
I've got a big sealed pack of water from Costco that I will periodically throw in our cooler, and we've got water at the campsites. Also have a propane stove, plenty of food, mess kit, utensils, cast iron stove, pan

Fire:
2 reliable lighters, firesteel, magnesium firestarter, waterproof matches, strike anywhere matches

Everything else:
Bug spray, First Aid Kit (made it myself, and it's top notch), Rope (3 different types), 3 very good flashlights, LMF II Survival Knife, Leatherman Charge multitool, waterproof jacket, poncho, stuff sacks, lantern, compass, watch, walkie talkies, emergency whistle, camp axe, emergency blanket/tarp, soap, deodorant and body spray, razor, toothbrush/toothpaste, water purification tablets, water bottles, gold bond, two pairs of boots and a pair of trail shoes, 2 pair smart wool socks and other hiking socks, and lots of toilet paper just in case.

Most will fit into my 5000 cubic inch pack, and some will go in my daysack.

Also, I have a detailed plan of what we're doing and where we are going, and will be giving it to two different family members, so we're good on that.

I'm not big on bringing along gaming systems, and all that. Being out in the wilderness is enough to keep me entertained. Anything else you guys can think of?

RocketSauce on

• Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I'm going on vacation next week, we're staying in hotels for two days, and tent camping for 3. I've done it before plenty of times, but haven't done it so far away from home. We will also be doing a lot of hiking, so I figured I'd run it by you guys and just make sure I've got it covered:

Living quarters:
    Tent, tarp, extra stakes, rope, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, small pillow

Food/Water:
    I've got a big sealed pack of water from Costco that I will periodically throw in our cooler, and we've got water at the campsites. Also have a propane stove, plenty of food, mess kit, utensils, cast iron stove, pan

Fire:
    2 reliable lighters, firesteel, magnesium firestarter, waterproof matches, strike anywhere matches

Everything else:
    Bug spray, First Aid Kit (made it myself, and it's top notch), Rope (3 different types), 3 very good flashlights, LMF II Survival Knife, Leatherman Charge multitool, waterproof jacket, poncho, stuff sacks, lantern, compass, watch, walkie talkies, emergency whistle, camp axe, emergency blanket/tarp, soap, deodorant and body spray, razor, toothbrush/toothpaste, water purification tablets, water bottles, gold bond, two pairs of boots and a pair of trail shoes, 2 pair smart wool socks and other hiking socks, and lots of toilet paper just in case.

Also, I have a detailed plan of what we're doing and where we are going, and will be giving it to two different family members, so we're good on that.

I'm not big on bringing along gaming systems, and all that. Being out in the wilderness is enough to keep me entertained. Anything else you guys can think of?

Hand cannon for the bears.

But doubt you would need it, unless you are camping very remotely. Otherwise, deck of cards is always good.

precisionk on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sunscreen, camera, brimmed hat, a couple trash bags, a topographic map of your trail, and maybe a favorite paperback.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    Sunscreen, camera, brimmed hat, a couple trash bags, a topographic map of your trail, and maybe a favorite paperback.

I've got camera, boonie hat, maps. Forgot about trash bags, thanks.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    precisionk wrote: »

But doubt you would need it, unless you are camping very remotely. Otherwise, deck of cards is always good.

I'm debating whether or not I want to bring a pistol. I'm not terribly concerned about it, but it sure wouldn't hurt.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wow thats a lot of stuff for 3 nights, hopefully thats for both of you.

Are you backpacking or car camping?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    mts wrote: »
    wow thats a lot of stuff for 3 nights, hopefully thats for both of you.

Are you backpacking or car camping?

Car camping. It's actually not a whole lot. Besides the tent and cast iron stove, it packs pretty easily. Most of it is for me and the other person on the trip, so I won't be carrying all of it.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    We're finally getting some pretty warm and wet weather here in colorado this summer, been pretty damned dry all year though.

You've already said bug spray, so that's pretty much it, so long as you've got some 50% deet off or what not, the mosquites shouldn't be a problem. As well, if you aren't camping next to a body of stagnany water should be ok.

Even though the rain is starting to pick up, just beware, prior to 4 weeks ago, we've been really dry here all year so far, so just be mega safe with your fire area.

Edit: With the storm fronts acting like they have, The chances of having some intense thunderstorms is great, since it's car camping and you'll likely be keeping a far number of supplies on a table or flat surface, I'd bring an extra tarp, around 9'x12' to toss over stuff in flash if you get dumped on.

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    precisionk wrote: »

I'm debating whether or not I want to bring a pistol. I'm not terribly concerned about it, but it sure wouldn't hurt.

Read up on Bear safety if you're worried. As long as you don't sneak up on one in the dark or something then you should be fine. Just take precautions and hope any bear you come across hasn't been food trained.

Personally, and I don't want to start a debate with anyone here, I wouldn't trust a pistol, even a heavy magnum firing revolver, to reliably bring down a bear. I carry a 12-gauge when I go into the backcountry in Alaska with 00 slugs. I know the forest service departments that spend most of their time in wilderness pack a .457 bolt-action rifle for bear safety.

But, for the most part brown and black bears will do whatever they can to avoid humans.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Where in CO are you going, just out of curiosity? I miss home, I loved to go camping and my folks had a cabin up on the Uncompahgre ... it was great. Bears had a rough summer last year, so don't underestimate how hungry they might be this year. Keep your food tightly sealed, tied up in a tree/locked up/ whatever you have to do. Definitely read up on bear safety.

Oh, and you might consider an extra blanket to sleep with in your sleeping bag, even in the summer it can get pretty chilly at night.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Since you are car camping
    Living quarters:
    Tent, tarp, extra stakes, rope, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, Big pillow Might as well be comfy and you can just throw it in the car

Food/Water:
    Don't forget a sponge/ecofriendly soap if you are planning on cleaning anything

Fire:
    2 reliable lighters, firesteel, magnesium firestarter, waterproof matches, strike anywhere matches Do you really need 6 ways to start a fire? 2 lighters and any one of the 3, i would pick the WP matches

Everything else:
    Bug spray, First Aid Kit (made it myself, and it's top notch), Rope (3 different types) Why do you need 3 types of rope?, 3 very good flashlights, LMF II Survival Knife, Leatherman Charge multitool, waterproof jacket, poncho, stuff sacks, lantern, compass, watch, walkie talkies If its only the two of you, who are you going to be talking to?, emergency whistle, camp axe, emergency blanket/tarp, soap, deodorant and body spray, razor, i understand bringing the body spray and razor if you are staying at a hotel, but you are camping, you can;t go 3-4 days without shaving?toothbrush/toothpaste, water purification tablets probably don't need the tablets if you are bringing all your own water and the campsite has water. i would throw a bunch of em in the first aid it and call it a day, water bottles, gold bond, two pairs of boots 2 for each of you?and a pair of trail shoes, 2 pair smart wool socks and other hiking socks, and lots of toilet paper just in case. i hope by lots you only mean 2 rolls maybe

depending on the kind of hiking you plan on doing, you can do most of it in a good pai of trail shoes. unless you are doing some serious hiking, heavy hiking boots just destroy trails and vegetation. your list seems good, you just seem to have an over abundance of things.

things you might want:

games etc to keep busy at the campsite, or a book or something
    camp chairs
    sponge biodegradable soap for cleaning pots
    if you are concerned about bears bring either a bear bag or cannister and know how to use it.
    i wil second the tarp and the blanket, might as well be comfortable in camp since you don't have to carry it with you

mts on
    camo_sig.png