Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Fucking Cheaters

1246789

Posts

  • BlitzkriegBlitzkrieg Registered User
    edited June 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    quoth i hate to break it to you but you ask any doctor out there if they remember half the shit they learned in school and they will all tell you the same thing "99% of what i know as a doctor i learned once i left med school"

    and it is the same for pretty much every profession under the sun.
    your experience is what determines how well you are going to do, there's only so much that books and studying can give you
    school is there as a means to give you some base knowledge to expand upon and to weed out those who don't have the drive and capabilities to continue.
    it by no means teaches you everything you need in any field.

    that being said, i don't agree with cheating, but if you can pull it off without getting caught, all the power to ya.

    I partially agree with this. In short, when I interview a candidate I don't assume he knows a lot from school. In fact, I'm pretty sure he knows dick. The reality is, though, I have to trust that the school has taught him HOW to learn. If the student has cheated through his exams to get an artificially high GPA, then that undermines that assumption.

    The result is that I have a fucking idiot on my team that can't do his job. He or she has wasted my time, my company's money training him, and worse still I have the fire the retard and go find ANOTHER candidate who hopefully didn't cheat his or her way through engineering classes because it was hard.

  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I see you have dug yourself a nice, cozy hole. Would you like a shovel to dig yourself deeper?

  • Lord DaveLord Dave Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    Cheaters piss me off because then they get degrees and jobs and next thing you know bridges are collapsing and allergies are being misdiagnosed as depression. College isn't just about getting a certain GPA, it's about learning information that is vital to your future career. If you can't hack it, drop out and work retail.

    Nice try, fucker. Me not memorizing a set of formulas that I can easily reference outside of an exam and apply to a situation does not result in me not being able to perform my job competently.

    OH SHIT

    YOU DIDN't MEMORIZE THAT FOR AN EXAM

    BUT YOU CAN REFERENCE IT ANYTIME YOU WANT TO OUTSIDE OF THE EXAM

    WELL FUCK

    AND YOU KNOW HOW IT APPLIES

    GOD

    WE'RE ALL DOOMED REGARDLESS

    WHAT IF YOU'RE DESIGNING A BRIDGE

    AND YOU'RE IN A CLASS ROOM

    AND YOU HAVE TO DESIGN IT USING A STANDARDIZED TESTING BOOKLET

    FUCK

    YOU'RE SCREWED

    whoa, somebody is overcompensating due to guilt
    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:

    Is that your photobucket?

    Denny's is for winners.
    mkc.pngmkc.pngmkc.pngmontykevin.png
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There've been a couple really desperate situations where I wrote down formulas, put them in my pocket, and then taken the test and asked to go to the bathroom at some point, then look at it. I don't think it's ever actually helped me for more than a couple points.

    Someone had a similar idea, I guess, during this last round of finals. During my hardest test, I asked to go to the bathroom because I needed a breather. I opened a stall and happened to find the notes to everything we had done all semester. I didn't actually use it because I was rushed for time, but that was an impressive stack of paper to be hiding in the bathroom.

    Owlsig.jpg
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It really isn't that hard to memorize formulas, like 3 or 4 exposures should be enough?
    And not to get on your back, I've got it pretty light, but if you cheated and had to work + do your course time, I'm sure there was someone who didn't cheat and was in the same situation.

    Also don't they give you Formulas ever? Like, a sheet of relevant stuff.

    by the time you get to the point where every single slightly different problem requires a totally different formula, usually involving 5 or so variables raised to the power of 0.693 or whatever, well yeah.

    no

    memorizing formulas is for courses with easy math.

    Seriously though, no formula sheet?

    no, for that course, we took the goddamn text book and notes in.

    it's the courses between physics 101 (f = a * m) and that that sometimes had texts, sometimes didn't, and usually needed them.

    Memorization is for biology students.

    The time of night is making me try to read that middle sentence and having trouble.
    I understand that you sometimes got text books, and sometimes didn't but the usually needed them? I'm a little lost, you mean you should've had access when you didn't? I'm genuinely confused, not trying to be a dick.

  • World as MythWorld as Myth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was the one folks cheated off all through school, and I was sort of helplessly okay with it because I was an absolute loser

    some things changed, though -- I remember an acquaintance snapping in college when I asked him for the third time if I could borrow his notes because I'd been skipping all my classes

    I'm still a loser, though

    some things never change

    kQwcZLJ.png
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    quoth i hate to break it to you but you ask any doctor out there if they remember half the shit they learned in school and they will all tell you the same thing "99% of what i know as a doctor i learned once i left med school"

    and it is the same for pretty much every profession under the sun.
    your experience is what determines how well you are going to do, there's only so much that books and studying can give you
    school is there as a means to give you some base knowledge to expand upon and to weed out those who don't have the drive and capabilities to continue.
    it by no means teaches you everything you need in any field.

    that being said, i don't agree with cheating, but if you can pull it off without getting caught, all the power to ya.

    Wow, my grandfather must have gone to a really special school, because he never said any such thing. He actually bitched a lot about younger guys who didn't know anything and how he wondered what they were doing in school when they were supposed to be learning.

    And may I note that you stated school is "to weed out those who don't have the drive and capabilities to continue" and what can I say, I think you just supported my point. If you cheat, you're not capable.

    no i completely agree with you that it proved your point about cheaters. if they can make it all the way through med school on cheating then holy shit they must be some fucking good at cheating. that'd be unheard of since many of the exams are practical exams where you actually have to... you know... do medical stuff not just write a test.

    your grandfather thinks he learned all he knows about medicine from med school?
    jesus that has to be some sort of first...

    i wasn't saying the guy was right about cheating, i was saying he was right about the fact that most written exams are kind of silly because never in your life are you going to be in a situation where you have no reference, you just have to memorize a bunch of shit to regurgitate it onto a scantron sheet in the span of 2 hours. It's sort of counter-intuitive to how the real working world works in pretty much all professions.

  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    Cheaters piss me off because then they get degrees and jobs and next thing you know bridges are collapsing and allergies are being misdiagnosed as depression. College isn't just about getting a certain GPA, it's about learning information that is vital to your future career. If you can't hack it, drop out and work retail.

    Nice try, fucker. Me not memorizing a set of formulas that I can easily reference outside of an exam and apply to a situation does not result in me not being able to perform my job competently.

    OH SHIT

    YOU DIDN't MEMORIZE THAT FOR AN EXAM

    BUT YOU CAN REFERENCE IT ANYTIME YOU WANT TO OUTSIDE OF THE EXAM

    WELL FUCK

    AND YOU KNOW HOW IT APPLIES

    GOD

    WE'RE ALL DOOMED REGARDLESS

    WHAT IF YOU'RE DESIGNING A BRIDGE

    AND YOU'RE IN A CLASS ROOM

    AND YOU HAVE TO DESIGN IT USING A STANDARDIZED TESTING BOOKLET

    FUCK

    YOU'RE SCREWED

    whoa, somebody is overcompensating due to guilt
    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:

    hang on

    hang on,

    there is more than one dave, holy fucking shit

  • I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User
    edited June 2008
    A lot of you need to actually enter the work force. I learned far more in my three years after graduating at the company I worked for than the four years I spent in school getting the degree.

    I can't take any of you seriously when you try and tell me that not memorizing a formula for an exam means I wasn't meant to be in university. This is like Teefs assuming all companies turn into Wal-Mart if they're not unionized. It's a lot of fuckers speaking without having work experience behind them.

  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    quoth i hate to break it to you but you ask any doctor out there if they remember half the shit they learned in school and they will all tell you the same thing "99% of what i know as a doctor i learned once i left med school"

    and it is the same for pretty much every profession under the sun.
    your experience is what determines how well you are going to do, there's only so much that books and studying can give you
    school is there as a means to give you some base knowledge to expand upon and to weed out those who don't have the drive and capabilities to continue.
    it by no means teaches you everything you need in any field.

    that being said, i don't agree with cheating, but if you can pull it off without getting caught, all the power to ya.

    It's funny you bring up the doctor example. I have a friend that has just gotten done with his first year at med school. He says that he has yet to learn anything practical, and that most of the stuff he's learned that is practical was learned outside of med school.

    mrsatansig.png
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I never cheated, but in High School my friends would sit behind me and beside me and I let them cheat off of my papers. They're not smart enough to do their own work, but they all were smart enough to change the wording around and get a few wrong on purpose.

    clowninthewoods.png
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was the one folks cheated off all through school, and I was sort of helplessly okay with it because I was an absolute loser

    some things changed, though -- I remember an acquaintance snapping in college when I asked him for the third time if I could borrow his notes because I'd been skipping all my classes

    I'm still a loser, though

    some things never change

    asking for notes isn't cheating

  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    quoth i hate to break it to you but you ask any doctor out there if they remember half the shit they learned in school and they will all tell you the same thing "99% of what i know as a doctor i learned once i left med school"

    and it is the same for pretty much every profession under the sun.
    your experience is what determines how well you are going to do, there's only so much that books and studying can give you
    school is there as a means to give you some base knowledge to expand upon and to weed out those who don't have the drive and capabilities to continue.
    it by no means teaches you everything you need in any field.

    that being said, i don't agree with cheating, but if you can pull it off without getting caught, all the power to ya.

    It's funny you bring up the doctor example. I have a friend that has just gotten done with his first year at med school. He says that he has yet to learn anything practical, and that most of the stuff he's learned that is practical was learned outside of med school.

    yeah i got a lot of med school/ practicing friends
    i was supposed to be amongst them but i quit in my undergrad and became some sort of renegade artist.

  • ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    It really isn't that hard to memorize formulas, like 3 or 4 exposures should be enough?
    And not to get on your back, I've got it pretty light, but if you cheated and had to work + do your course time, I'm sure there was someone who didn't cheat and was in the same situation.

    Also don't they give you Formulas ever? Like, a sheet of relevant stuff.

    by the time you get to the point where every single slightly different problem requires a totally different formula, usually involving 5 or so variables raised to the power of 0.693 or whatever, well yeah.

    no

    memorizing formulas is for courses with easy math.

    engineering formulas are a pain in the ass. all derived empirically and shit.

    I'm in an engineering course, we will see how this works out for me.

    mechanical?

    cause i was referring specifically to heat transfer.

    Spoiler:
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No I'm not saying that at all and I don't think anyone else is, the point is you didn't play by the same rules that other people, some in equally as bad, some in worse situations than you, played by.

    t zonky: Common first year, then specialization next year.

  • World as MythWorld as Myth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FAQ wrote: »
    I was the one folks cheated off all through school, and I was sort of helplessly okay with it because I was an absolute loser

    some things changed, though -- I remember an acquaintance snapping in college when I asked him for the third time if I could borrow his notes because I'd been skipping all my classes

    I'm still a loser, though

    some things never change

    asking for notes isn't cheating
    well I mean kinda it is, when I haven't been going to class for weeks and there's a test coming up and I'm all like "hey you went to class, what did we learn there"

    kQwcZLJ.png
  • I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    Cheaters piss me off because then they get degrees and jobs and next thing you know bridges are collapsing and allergies are being misdiagnosed as depression. College isn't just about getting a certain GPA, it's about learning information that is vital to your future career. If you can't hack it, drop out and work retail.

    Nice try, fucker. Me not memorizing a set of formulas that I can easily reference outside of an exam and apply to a situation does not result in me not being able to perform my job competently.

    OH SHIT

    YOU DIDN't MEMORIZE THAT FOR AN EXAM

    BUT YOU CAN REFERENCE IT ANYTIME YOU WANT TO OUTSIDE OF THE EXAM

    WELL FUCK

    AND YOU KNOW HOW IT APPLIES

    GOD

    WE'RE ALL DOOMED REGARDLESS

    WHAT IF YOU'RE DESIGNING A BRIDGE

    AND YOU'RE IN A CLASS ROOM

    AND YOU HAVE TO DESIGN IT USING A STANDARDIZED TESTING BOOKLET

    FUCK

    YOU'RE SCREWED

    whoa, somebody is overcompensating due to guilt
    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:

    Is that your photobucket?

    Belongs to Aaneurhythmia, another poster around here. I came across it in the Stale party thread.

  • ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was the one folks cheated off all through school, and I was sort of helplessly okay with it because I was an absolute loser

    some things changed, though -- I remember an acquaintance snapping in college when I asked him for the third time if I could borrow his notes because I'd been skipping all my classes

    I'm still a loser, though

    some things never change

    oh god this girl almost killed me once cause i borrowed her notes and returned them all out of order

    she was soooo anal too

    like, used color coded highlighters for her own handwritten nots

    Spoiler:
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie totally sane in the AsylumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Is that your photobucket?

    Belongs to Aaneurhythmia, another poster around here. I came across it in the Stale party thread.

    Still copying from others, huh?

  • FromAlpha2OmegaFromAlpha2Omega Registered User
    edited June 2008
    FAQ wrote: »
    I was the one folks cheated off all through school, and I was sort of helplessly okay with it because I was an absolute loser

    some things changed, though -- I remember an acquaintance snapping in college when I asked him for the third time if I could borrow his notes because I'd been skipping all my classes

    I'm still a loser, though

    some things never change

    asking for notes isn't cheating
    in some classes it's very close to it

    you're basically taking someone's implied attendance mark

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A lot of you need to actually enter the work force. I learned far more in my three years after graduating at the company I worked for than the four years I spent in school getting the degree.

    I can't take any of you seriously when you try and tell me that not memorizing a formula for an exam means I wasn't meant to be in university. This is like Teefs assuming all companies turn in Wal-Mart if they're not unionized. It's a lot of fuckers speaking without having a lot of work experience behind them.

    Uh, what. I've been working since I was like 8 years old, when I answered phones and filed papers for my dad's insurance agency. When I couldn't get a real job, I sold candy at school. I shredded papers for my mom's job. I loaded soda machines. I stuffed newspapers into bags. In college, I worked three jobs: two on campus doing graphic design and writing/editing, and one off campus at a movie theater. And I went to school full time. And then I worked at a couple of crappy office jobs while tutoring kids in my spare time. And now I make a ton of money as a real estate appraiser because I REMEMBERED ALL THE MATH I LEARNED IN SCHOOL even though I majored in English. So I guess memorizing those formulas worked out for me.

    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    Site | The Miami Grindstone | Twitter | Dropbox | Picture by Galen Dara
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    The extent of my cheating involved having formulas written down on something, because very few of my professors allowed formula sheets in for exams. So, I used these 'cheat sheet' in half of my exams. I'm pretty sure 90% of the kids in my classes were doing the same thing as I was. Now baby-face Dave is all indignant.

    And, yes, Stimko, maybe someone was in the same position as me, but really I don't care about how they approached the situation. I took the 'cheating' road and that was that.

    "Baby-face" is the best you could come up with?
    Maybe you should copy your insults off of somebody a little more clever.

    Hey this is a sick burn just coming here to say that la~

    sig2.jpg
  • ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It really isn't that hard to memorize formulas, like 3 or 4 exposures should be enough?
    And not to get on your back, I've got it pretty light, but if you cheated and had to work + do your course time, I'm sure there was someone who didn't cheat and was in the same situation.

    Also don't they give you Formulas ever? Like, a sheet of relevant stuff.

    by the time you get to the point where every single slightly different problem requires a totally different formula, usually involving 5 or so variables raised to the power of 0.693 or whatever, well yeah.

    no

    memorizing formulas is for courses with easy math.

    Seriously though, no formula sheet?

    no, for that course, we took the goddamn text book and notes in.

    it's the courses between physics 101 (f = a * m) and that that sometimes had texts, sometimes didn't, and usually needed them.

    Memorization is for biology students.

    The time of night is making me try to read that middle sentence and having trouble.
    I understand that you sometimes got text books, and sometimes didn't but the usually needed them? I'm a little lost, you mean you should've had access when you didn't? I'm genuinely confused, not trying to be a dick.

    oh, just saw this

    yes, this is what i meant.

    Spoiler:
  • JohnHamJohnHam Famous Actor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    Blitzkrieg wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    Cheaters piss me off because then they get degrees and jobs and next thing you know bridges are collapsing and allergies are being misdiagnosed as depression. College isn't just about getting a certain GPA, it's about learning information that is vital to your future career. If you can't hack it, drop out and work retail.

    QFT

    I'm so sick and tired of fucking idiots graduating with CS or SWE degrees and not being able to design or code the most basic of applications.

    Hooray, you copied your classmates program and got full credit! Now you're totally qualified to write code on this missile guidance system!

    Oh wait.

    Yeah, call me crazy, but this makes me just a tiny bit nervous. You can't pass your final without cheating, but you're going to design a 40-story building? Um...

    Since when does one person design/build a forty story building? Or a bridge? You can't even write a magazine article without it being looked over/edited by someone else. What major doesn't have projects, papers, or oral presentations throughout the years that force you to prove you know something about the class besides filling in little bubbles on a sheet of paper.

    I bet there are a lot of a really talented people that cheated through school, and a lot of total fuckwits that muscled through the old-fashioned way (fifteen miles in the snow uphill both ways chased by velociraptors).

    I had kids cheating all over my shit in Elementary/Middle/occasionally high school, and I understand the vitriol for those who cheat, because who the fuck do those dudes think they are getting the same reward for less work, right? But I think it's naive to say that someone who cheats his way through college is by default inept in their eventual profession.

  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    quoth i hate to break it to you but you ask any doctor out there if they remember half the shit they learned in school and they will all tell you the same thing "99% of what i know as a doctor i learned once i left med school"

    and it is the same for pretty much every profession under the sun.
    your experience is what determines how well you are going to do, there's only so much that books and studying can give you
    school is there as a means to give you some base knowledge to expand upon and to weed out those who don't have the drive and capabilities to continue.
    it by no means teaches you everything you need in any field.

    that being said, i don't agree with cheating, but if you can pull it off without getting caught, all the power to ya.

    It's funny you bring up the doctor example. I have a friend that has just gotten done with his first year at med school. He says that he has yet to learn anything practical, and that most of the stuff he's learned that is practical was learned outside of med school.

    yeah i got a lot of med school/ practicing friends
    i was supposed to be amongst them but i quit in my undergrad and became some sort of renegade artist.

    Not saying my grandfather learned everything he knew in med school, but he certainly seemed to have learned a lot more than most. He's an old dude, what can I say, apparently things have changed.

    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    Site | The Miami Grindstone | Twitter | Dropbox | Picture by Galen Dara
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

    So in other words, he worked smarter, not harder.

    That is generally how I think of it.

    If you don't cheat at all, that's something you can be proud of. If you had to, it probably only helped a little bit, at most it is the difference between a C and a D. No one gets through school by relying on cheating, and you aren't going to pass at all if you haven't learned the majority of the material.

    So I have no problem with letting people cheat, because no one is suddenly going to get straight A's that they don't deserve. Not possible.

    Owlsig.jpg
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zonky fair enough on that, but don't they scale the tests?
    Like if everyone does incredibly poorly for instance, something something.

  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If the Chinese kids in my courses could do it, so could I.
    I actually see some merit in this concept. I don't think it's right, but you are in competition if there's a forced curve.

    Actually, I did sink a group of Indians once who were cheating off of me. I had a habit of blazing through SCANTRON tests and turning them in with high scores. I noticed one cheating off of me so I fucked up half of the answers and waited for that guy to go turn in the test. I didn't know they were all cheating off of me. He turned the test in right when I got to the last answer, followed by his buddies. I then erased all of my mistakes and put in the right answers.

    They were unhappy, but didn't do anything more than "a bloo bloo" when I walked by and then would be quiet when I looked at them. I helped out one of their girls, though, when she had a flat tire so they stopped being hostile.
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Fucking the teacher.
    There was no other way I could pass art history and I wasn't going to make the financial mistake of dropping it twice. She was not bad looking anyway, in a mid-fourties "Are You Trying to Seduce Me Mrs. Robinson" art teacher kinda way.

    BTW, why the hell do they make art history so damn hard? It's like they're trying to get back at the world.

    "Adios, mofo" -- TX Gov Rick Perry (R)
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FAQ wrote: »
    I was the one folks cheated off all through school, and I was sort of helplessly okay with it because I was an absolute loser

    some things changed, though -- I remember an acquaintance snapping in college when I asked him for the third time if I could borrow his notes because I'd been skipping all my classes

    I'm still a loser, though

    some things never change

    asking for notes isn't cheating
    in some classes it's very close to it

    you're basically taking someone's implied attendance mark

    I've never had to deal with an implied attendance mark, all I ever had was projects, assignments and exams. Half the time getting the notes off the internet and not going to the lecture was a better option.

  • LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    HISTORY is something is something everyone can agree on cheating on. i hope. everything else, math, and all that shit, yeah...lol then u should feel bad i guess. youre either interested in history or not....

    sadly i still remember everything about the Articles of the Confederation. (im CS major) useless.....

  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2008
    if you cheat you are dumb

    if you don't cheat you aren't necessarily not dumb

    fin~

    th_crabz.png
  • HoukHouk Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't give a shit if people cheat, but the justification of "I don't need to know this anyway and my life is so tough and blah blah" is pretty bullshit. Just admit that you're lazy, that you're not cut out to operate in an environment the way your peers are, and get on with it. There's no shame in sucking at school.

    nipplessig.jpg
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wait why was my photo posted?

  • ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zonky fair enough on that, but don't they scale the tests?
    Like if everyone does incredibly poorly for instance, something something.

    sometimes, sometimes not.

    what gets me is that you are being tested on understanding the material, and demonstrating your ability to apply that materia.

    but if you can't remember the formulas, you can't answer the questions.

    so now you're being tested on memorization skills

    which aren't relevant, in my opinion.

    basically, all the teachers that knew wtf they were doing never required memorization, the ones that didn't know how to teach thought it was a great way to judge progress.

    Spoiler:
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah whoever posted the picture of me from the party, i'm that dave fella not lord dave

  • FromAlpha2OmegaFromAlpha2Omega Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Jimothy wrote: »

    So in other words, he worked smarter, not harder.

    That is generally how I think of it.

    If you don't cheat at all, that's something you can be proud of. If you had to, it probably only helped a little bit, at most it is the difference between a C and a D. No one gets through school by relying on cheating, and you aren't going to pass at all if you haven't learned the majority of the material.

    So I have no problem with letting people cheat, because no one is suddenly going to get straight A's that they don't deserve. Not possible.
    yeah, but an A is a relatively large range
    cheating can make a huge difference even if you're an A student

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    HISTORY is something is something everyone can agree on cheating on. i hope. everything else, math, and all that shit, yeah...lol then u should feel bad i guess. youre either interested in history or not....

    sadly i still remember everything about the Articles of the Confederation. (im CS major) useless.....
    Fuck you and die.

    tonksigblack.png
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zonky fair enough on that, but don't they scale the tests?
    Like if everyone does incredibly poorly for instance, something something.

    sometimes, sometimes not.

    what gets me is that you are being tested on understanding the material, and demonstrating your ability to apply that materia.

    but if you can't remember the formulas, you can't answer the questions.

    so now you're being tested on memorization skills

    which aren't relevant, in my opinion.

    basically, all the teachers that knew wtf they were doing never required memorization, the ones that didn't know how to teach thought it was a great way to judge progress.

    Fantastic

    My school seems to know what is up, and haven't been fucking pricks about what to include, they leave basic shit off the formula sheets and include the more complex formulas, so you should've done things with the more basic ones a thousand times already and know them, the harder ones you should understand what they mean and don't give any advantage to someone who doesn't know the rudimentary stuff.

  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    Yeah, call me crazy, but this makes me just a tiny bit nervous. You can't pass your final without cheating, but you're going to design a 40-story building? Um...

    Since when does one person design/build a forty story building? Or a bridge? You can't even write a magazine article without it being looked over/edited by someone else. What major doesn't have projects, papers, or oral presentations throughout the years that force you to prove you know something about the class besides filling in little bubbles on a sheet of paper.

    I bet there are a lot of a really talented people that cheated through school, and a lot of total fuckwits that muscled through the old-fashioned way (fifteen miles in the snow uphill both ways chased by velociraptors).

    I had kids cheating all over my shit in Elementary/Middle/occasionally high school, and I understand the vitriol for those who cheat, because who the fuck do those dudes think they are getting the same reward for less work, right? But I think it's naive to say that someone who cheats his way through college is by default inept in their eventual profession.

    I think it sets a scary precedent... if you're cheating on an exam, then that exam is not accurately reflecting your knowledge and ability. So how do you prove that you know what you're doing? You work, obviously, but what is the point of school and testing if you're just going to learn everything on the job anyway? And moreover, at that point then the only way to tell whether someone knows what they're doing is by seeing whether they fail. Again, I find that scary.

    I mean, maybe the solution is to go back to apprenticeships all around?

    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    Site | The Miami Grindstone | Twitter | Dropbox | Picture by Galen Dara
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Little Jim wrote: »
    if you cheat you are dumb

    if you don't cheat you aren't necessarily not dumb

    fin~

    woah

    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.