Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

EVE Online Empyrean Age: Not like the trailer but still really good

BremenBremen Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mCKe9MCy_w

The Empyrean Age
The latest free expansion pack to EVE features the launch of factional warfare, with the four factions of EVE (Amarr, Caldari, Gallente, and Minmatar) now at open war with each other. Players may join a milita for their chosen faction and conquer star systems in their name, opposed by NPCs and players of the other factions.

However, the Penny Arcade Corporation, Merch Industrial, has choosen not to side with any of the major factions, and instead have sided with the player alliance Goonswarm. After all, why conquer solar systems for a government when you can conquer them for yourself? Look, we already have one:

station.jpg
Our beautiful home in the distant fringes of the galaxy

EVE Online

EVE Online isn't a particularly well known MMO, but it's actually one of the larger ones, with approximated 250,000 active subscriptions and an average peak of 35,000 users during North American primetime.

It's also a primarily PvP focused game, but not exclusively; I spend most of my time on PvE or industry (crafting), and only take my carrier on the occasional fleet op to do my part for the war effort. As a matter of fact, I'm such a stranger to PvP I've asked a fellow corp member to write the PvP section of this thread. So just because you've heard EVE is a PvP game doesn't mean that's all there is to do.

Above all, what keeps me playing EVE is its sheer complexity. Other MMOs have crafting, EVE online has an industry system whose complexity boggles the mind of even the full time economist the developers hired to track it. Other MMOs have classes and levels, EVE has a real time skill system with over three hundred unique skills:
Spoiler:

And where MMOs like WoW have arenas and battlegrounds, EVE has alliances consisting of thousands of players fighting for control of the galaxy itself, with tools ranging from small gangs, to major fleets, to squadrons of massive capital ships capable of going toe to toe with an enemy's heavily armed starbases and supported by fleets of lesser ships lest they be swarmed by the enemy defenders.

influence.jpg
Territory controlled by EVE Alliances. We're a member of the Goonswarm Alliance, but have our own station as well. Click for a current, full size map

Have you ever found yourself playing an MMO and wishing you could be a part of something larger? Wished you could make a real mark on the enviornment rather than just doing the same things as everyone else? Or have you ever gotten tired of crafting that involves pushing a button and wished there was a way for hundreds of crafters to work together to make something truely epic? Then sign up for the 14 day trial (Link is extracted from the Penny Arcade banner add, I get no referal bonus).

fleshreaper.png
Merch Industrial - The Penny Arcade Corp

Merch Industrial has quite a history. It was founded in April 2006 by TheKoolEagle to provide a more peaceful place for Penny Arcade forumgoers who didn't want to join the original Merch corporation and become pirates, but it quickly outstripped the Merch in terms of size and eventually prosperity. After a number of successes and failures (mentioning the word "Daran" will still make many vets shudder) on our own, we joined up with the Something Awful forums alliance Goonswarm just as they were beginning their rapid rise to power. But that's its own story, and if you want to hear more you'll have to ask the vets about it.

As of the time of this writing, MerchI has 378 members, over a dozen starbases, and a factory station located in the system of e-pr0s. We have a corporation run business that produces massive capital ships and returns the profit back to corp members who invested in it. Many lesser industries are run by individual members, one produces modules and fighters for capital ships, another specializes in battleships, and a third produces special rigs used to modify a ship's base hull.

E-PR0S, our home

Territory in EVE is divided into three types. High security space is patrolled by the NPC police Concord, and any attack on another player or friendly NPC will result in your inescapable demise (not necessarily soon enough to save your target, though). As a price for this safety, though, the ores and hostiles NPCs in high sec are scarce and of little value.

Low security space, with security ratings between .1 and .4, is a dangerous place. Concord is nowhere to be found, though the empire factions have automated guns protecting the stargates and stations, and these will fire on anyone who starts a fight inside their range. But unlike concord, these guns are of limited power and only a minor deterrant. And outside their range, anything goes. Low sec is a haven of small pirate corps who run around looking for easy kills, and small law-abiding corps willing to accept the risks for the increased rewards.

Last of the three is nullsec, or 0.0. These areas are completely lawless, and either owned by pirate factions who care less what goes on, or contested between player alliances. The only protection in 0.0 is the firepower you and your friends possess. While nominally the most dangerous spots in EVE, alliances in 0.0 have to protect their space or they'll quickly lose it, and for the biggest risk you'll face in friendly controlled space is hostiles in fast ships trying to get a few kills before a fleet can muster to chase them out. Mining and ratting(NPC-killing) in 0.0 is extremely lucrative, and are some of the best ways to make money in the game.

E-pr0s, is, of course, a system in the conquerable part of 0.0. While neither the safest nor the richest system around, it's a decent place which we take a lot of pride in. In addition to the level 2 factory station we control, it's also secured by heavily armed starbases like this baby:

starbase.jpg
You might be noticing a pattern in our choice of names

with functions including defense, moon mining, and research labs. Neighboring it are the systems of AZN-D2, held by fellow Goonswarm corp ARSED and possessing a refinery station, and VNGJ-U, held by Goonfleet itself and possessing a hybrid factory and research station.

Bremen on

• Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Been considering re-subbing for a month to try out the FW stuff
    Worth it?
    Let AWU 5 run after I left, so nice to get that out of the way

Now nothing but isk stands between me and my rail-sniping megathron

Spoiler:
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Been considering re-subbing for a month to try out the FW stuff
    Worth it?
    Let AWU 5 run after I left, so nice to get that out of the way

Now nothing but isk stands between me and my rail-sniping megathron

Alliances don't really mess with faction warefare much, that's more a newbie thing. Though Red Alliance has been skirmishing with the Caldari militia over control of some nice Dysprosium moons, I believe.

• The Man with No NameThe Man with No Name __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2008
    God damnit where the hell is the expansion that adds avatars and houses you can walk around in and planets that you can explore by foot or vehicle?

That's when this game will get good.

:whistle:
  • The Man with No NameThe Man with No Name __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2008
    Also is it possible and legal to program a bot to play this game for you?

The metagame of creating an AI to play another game is actually quite fun from a programming viewpoint.

:whistle:
    edited June 2008

The metagame of creating an AI to play another game is actually quite fun from a programming viewpoint.

No, Macroing is against the rules.

• BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bremen wrote: »

No, Macroing is against the rules.

And are frequently raped on sight.

Tttnl.jpg

• hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

that would end in your tears right now

Hrin - Eve Online
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Even though I got kicked out (and yeah most of it was my own damn fault) the Merch crew is still pretty awesome and people should play with them, especially now that they are by all accounts getting quality pew-pew out of Smashkill.

pa_sig.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is why it's awesome to be playing EVE right now:

2wq96o3.jpg

That's my email inbox from the other day.

camo_sig2.png
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Midshipman wrote: »
    I really, really want to like playing EVE but the combat is so dull. It's even more boring than soloing in WoW.

I presume that you are refering to PVE and not PVP. Fighting other players in Eve gives me an adrenaline rush like nothing else that I've experienced while sitting in front of a computer.

I don't know. Watching PvP vids is actually what turned me off on the game. Just people scrolled way the fuck back staring at some tables not really seeing any visceral action going on. While the results might be exciting the process of getting there looks detached and boring as fuck.

MOBA DOTA.
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    hmm, I might just be in the mood to try the 14-day trial for the fifth time

two questions
    (1) Is there a Mac client?
    (2) Are Amarr ships still considered to be terribly off? Last time I played, you were stupid for using anything but Missiles in PvE and anything but projectiles in PvP, probably around a year ago. I also seem to remember some kind of energy draining thing (NOS, was it?) being so popular that any player in an Amarr ship went down faster than the Challenger.

www.twitter.com/amazingwarlock
  • ZoelZoel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There is a mac client. Can't tell you anything about amarr ships though.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I did a trial ages ago, I didn't really like the lack of manual control. Like, it just seemed to be setting waypoints and automatically orbiting things, then just clicking 'turn lasers on' and waiting.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549 AC:NL Trading List
    sig.gif
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    hey hey hey

put jihadswarm somewhere in the op

i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    hmm, I might just be in the mood to try the 14-day trial for the fifth time

two questions
    (1) Is there a Mac client?
    (2) Are Amarr ships still considered to be terribly off? Last time I played, you were stupid for using anything but Missiles in PvE and anything but projectiles in PvP, probably around a year ago. I also seem to remember some kind of energy draining thing (NOS, was it?) being so popular that any player in an Amarr ship went down faster than the Challenger.

(1) There's a Mac client, but it's pretty poop. It's built on Cider, not pure-native (and Intel-only) so your framerate will be crappy almost no matter what (although maybe one of the super-Powermacs could do it. On my ATI x1600/Core 2 Duo iMac it became unplayable in the first 15v15ish sized fight I got into).
    (2) Not up on the balance so I can't really answer this one. I know CCP was aware of the Amarr problems last time I was following, but I'm not sure how much has changed.

twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    I don't know. Watching PvP vids is actually what turned me off on the game. Just people scrolled way the fuck back staring at some tables not really seeing any visceral action going on. While the results might be exciting the process of getting there looks detached and boring as fuck.

That's just in really, really huge fleet fights (like 50+ a side) and frankly in nearly any game I can think of with that many combatants you'd want to be that zoomed out so that a) LoS kicks in and your system can handle it and b) you can maintain wide situational awareness. You actually can get that kind of "zoom zoom bang!" feeling from the trailers if you pilot something fast like an interceptor, zoomed in while in a smaller engagement or off doing some random grief work against the Merch's hated foes.

pa_sig.jpg
  • KiithKiith Registered User
    edited June 2008
    I'm planning on coming back to Eve soon, as i want to properly get into PvP. I never really did any before, and everyone keeps saying its the best thing about Eve, so i figured i'd try it. I'm currently in a corp in Drone space (Ethereal Dawn Alliance, which i think is part of Goonswarm), but i hate drone space so i may move somewhere else.

Are MerchI still taking on people? I can say for certain that i am not a spy :D

As for the game itself, as its been a while (about 5 months) since i last really played it, how is it now? Has the latest patch changed things much? I think i'll go back to flying a smaller ship, as i dont really have the skills to use a BS effectivly. I loved flying my Assault Frigate until it blew up (got blown up), so i might go for that or an interceptor.

The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • NiqleNiqle Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Damn these threads. I think I'll have to give this game another whirl at least on a trial dealy.

KalTorak wrote: »
    The Blood God is unamused by your puny antics of food preservation. If you're not scarfing down arugula and cucumber slices in midair while attempting that cordless bungee jump, you're on your own.
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wanted to like this game so much. I heard the UI was shit, but, hell, I use Linux on a command line. I'm used to shit IUs.

Nope, couldn't do it. The first "What the Fuck?" moment was when I realized there was no way to fly with a joystick, followed quickly by the lack of a cockpit/bridge view. I slogged though the point-click thing for about 45 minutes, and the decided to go hang out somewhere and meet people. The inability to land on the surface of planets threw up even more red flags,. When I docked in a space station to discover I couldn't even leave my ship to walk around, I logged out uninstalled it from my hard drive.

I had spent almost a half hour having fun creating my character's looks, only to find out the best part of the game was also the most irrelevant. The ads make it look like whole worlds are at stake. The worlds in this case are just balls of scenery, that you actually *fly through* when you warp from one place to another.

I'll try again when they let you walk around on the space stations.

edited June 2008
    In fairness, if the character creation was the bit you like most about Eve, you really didnt know what type of game Eve is. Its an skill based online mmorpg. Basically the same mechanics as any other MMO (but instead of getting a better dagger, you can get better GIANT FRIKKIN LASER BEAMS!!).

And they are adding the ability to walk around in stations at some point in the future, but landing on planets wont happen. Its only a cosmetic change anyway. The game itself will still feature point to move combat, and skill based (as in trainable skills) combat.

The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    God the trailers are always so beautiful but the actual game is just so not to my liking.

Granted I never got to get into a player corp though so it might have been better if I had.

“This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    halkun wrote: »
    I wanted to like this game so much. I heard the UI was shit, but, hell, I use Linux on a command line. I'm used to shit IUs.

Nope, couldn't do it. The first "What the Fuck?" moment was when I realized there was no way to fly with a joystick, followed quickly by the lack of a cockpit/bridge view. I slogged though the point-click thing for about 45 minutes, and the decided to go hang out somewhere and meet people. The inability to land on the surface of planets threw up even more red flags,. When I docked in a space station to discover I couldn't even leave my ship to walk around, I logged out uninstalled it from my hard drive.

I had spent almost a half hour having fun creating my character's looks, only to find out the best part of the game was also the most irrelevant. The ads make it look like whole worlds are at stake. The worlds in this case are just balls of scenery, that you actually *fly through* when you warp from one place to another.

I'll try again when they let you walk around on the space stations.

The best part of EvE is the character creator? I thought it was the most complex political and economic interactions that there have ever been in a game. Not flying from a bridge/cockpit view does annoy me, but I can't say the joystick thing ever has. The ships in EvE are not fighter jets.

My real complaint with the game is the sheer difficulty of logging in for an hour to have some fun. It seems almost impossible to me.

edited June 2008
    I suffered from that for a while as well. Basically, i didnt like mining, but i only had the one ship which i wasnt too comfortable getting blown up. So i never really did much. This time though, i'm going to dump my Dominix, pick up a cruiser or assault frigate, and just go and pick a fight somewhere. I've heard that the best way to get into PvP is to just go and get blown up in a fight you start. Rather then getting gate ganked.

• widowsonwidowson Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Here's the deal about EVE for new players.

Soloing is boring as shit. It's not like WoW where you could solo and have fun with interesting quests. EVE quests are bad and highsec/empire space (where you're safe from PvP) is dull as shit, only really good for engaging in trade that is so complex, it makes WoW's auction house look like kindergarden.

Where the fun is is The Great War in 0.0 space; being part of a grand alliance/corp that fights massive, ruthless battles with other corps for the richest worlds in EVE. Even a new player can help with tackling; flying a small frigate that warpjams larger ships that your mates pound on.

My advie is play Highsec just long enough to get, say, 10 million ISK and understand the game, then run to 0.0 as part of MERCH or another big, active corp in lowsec.

If you stay in highsec, you'll hate the game.

Oh yeah....be prepared to sink a lot of time into it if you're going to play/

-I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    gah really want to try this game again, but just don't have the time commitment.

I made a character with a free trial, about a year ago or so. I got through the tutorial, but that was about it. Can you redo the tutorial again once its already been done?

• ZoelZoel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Nope, couldn't do it. The first "What the Fuck?" moment was when I realized there was no way to fly with a joystick.....

I think eve does itself a disservice by not making it more clear that Eve is more like a Diku mud and less like a space simulator. That might sound like a dig but I kind of like diku muds, and a large one without a donation scam running is an attractive proposition.

• Blue mapBlue map Freedom Fighter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Newbie question, if i play as a Gallente can i join the rest of you or am i out of luck?

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Blue map wrote: »
    Newbie question, if i play as a Gallente can i join the rest of you or am i out of luck?

Your race has no bearing on what corp or alliance you can join (except for some very few RPing corps)

• EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Delurking to say that I've been thinking of resubbing to EvE, since I'm getting burnt out on WoW. Had a Minmatar battlecruiser, is it worth it to wander over to PA space slowly or should I just start off again in a frigate?

iG3kv1d.png
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, people often get surprised by the lack of joystick control for some reason. We warned that EVE is a RPG, not a flight sim.

edited June 2008
    wavecutter wrote: »
    Is the merch leadership still skimming the corp wallet? Or has that all been ironed out?

I don't want to bump the old thread, but I saw someone post this and it made me go wtf.

I've been involved in the leadership of Merch almost since it was formed, and we've never used the corporation's money for personal gain. We recieve no pay and get no special treatment, in fact I commonly joke about making people directors as punishment.

I'm curious, though, where did this story start?

• LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I did the high-sec thing when I first played EVE. Was damn boring and quit in a huff after a few months.

Several months back I resubbed and joined Merch and it's been a blast. EVE is a point-and-click RPG, and it's damn fun. But you have to aggressively pursue the fun; it won't come to you. An example:

Early on in my stint in Merch I got pretty bored with just ratting to buy a bigger ship, and completely sick of fighting BoB (admittedly the game has this problem where territorial warfare with player owned structures is one of the most boring soul-destroying things sometimes, but CCP knows this at least) so I rolled an alt skilled for minmatar destroyers, got my roommate to do the trial and roll a similar character, and together we chose a likely-looking region of low-sec, formed a corporation, and war-decced one of the local mining corps (using funds provided by my main).

This provided a ton of hilarity. These guys took us seriously, so every time we showed up in their usual haunts (flying thrashers!) they immediately scrambled all their members and went on a giant hunt while taunting us and even discussing search tactics in local! (The best part of EVE is so many of its players are bad at it.) In the end we scored some cheap kills and lots of laughs, accidentally got killed by concord, ran from horribly fit battlecruisers, and it was some of the most exciting times I've ever had playing a video game.

Also, in response to some issues raised, Amarr ships just got a major buff and now have like the best sniping battleship in the game, and no, combat is not like playing a spreadsheet. It's hard to describe, but it's absolutely heart-pounding if you actually get a good fight.

There is no solo fun in EVE.*

*unless you know what you're doing.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zoel wrote: »

Nope, couldn't do it. The first "What the Fuck?" moment was when I realized there was no way to fly with a joystick.....

I think eve does itself a disservice by not making it more clear that Eve is more like a Diku mud and less like a space simulator. That might sound like a dig but I kind of like diku muds, and a large one without a donation scam running is an attractive proposition.

I think that's it, right there.

They make it look like Wing commander/Freespace/Privateer. It's not, it's Homeworld, but with the RTS replaced with MMO. In homeword I wasn't disappointed with not going in the ships because it was a 3D RTS.

MMOs kind of take the assumption there interactivity between players or some kind of social aspect.

It's basically a space version of planetside, which didn't work as an MMO ether.

edited June 2008
    It's basically a space version of planetside, which didn't work as an MMO ether.

EVE is really fun though and does work. But as has been said, don't play it solo, and don't stay in high-sec, and you have to put a little effort in, as the game is a sandbox. Having Merch is really a fantastic opportunity.

The EVE universe really comes into its own when you have access to 0.0. Suddenly the drudgery of high-sec has a purpose when you need cheap goods (there is actually good money to be made importing) and the non-NPC-ness of null-sec means that everything - e.g. the local markets and infrastructure - is player-created, which is awesome. With hostile alliances always just the next constellation over and friendly players forming the local security forces, living in EVE can be a uniquely wonderful and exciting experience.

• Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    EVE has always been a bit of a quandary for me. There are things to it that appeal to me immensely, like the multitude of ships and skills, the player-created nature, the depth, etc. There are also things that turn me off immensely, like the "set a course, watch a movie, come back" thing, hearing players talk about "EVE doesn't take that much time at all! Hell, just six months ago I decided I wanted to do combat instead of industry, and here I am!" and reading a few of the cool, epic, famous EVE stories that, while awesome, mark the passage of time about as vaguely as a Dickens novel.

Basically, a lot of the things that I look for in a game in theory turn out to, in practice, be a big ol' pain.

www.twitter.com/amazingwarlock
    edited June 2008
    The problem with EVE is most of its mechanics are completely boring except in PvP. Warping around is cool the first few times, but gets boring quickly. But when you're trying to arrive in time to jam someone attacking a corpmate flying an expensive BS? Holy shit that is one intense wait. The time involved in travel can have major ramifications in PvP, as can the angles at which you approach things and where you warp in.

But when you're just traveling? That stuff doesn't matter at all. It's just point-click-wait.

The way I deal with down time is amusing myself by creating ship setups and trying to squeeze that extra bit of DPS out of my ratting rig, or sometimes I only log in for PvP.

• OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bremen wrote: »
    wavecutter wrote: »
    Is the merch leadership still skimming the corp wallet? Or has that all been ironed out?

I don't want to bump the old thread, but I saw someone post this and it made me go wtf.

I've been involved in the leadership of Merch almost since it was formed, and we've never used the corporation's money for personal gain. We recieve no pay and get no special treatment, in fact I commonly joke about making people directors as punishment.

I'm curious, though, where did this story start?

Maybe when Rath won that Ogre II bpo and was swimming in isk? I dunno, this is the first I've heard of it either.

PSN: Optimus_Wang
    XBL: OptimusWang
  • DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, when I tried EVE? I REALLY wanted to like it, I really really did, but the game's extremely heavy focus on PvP kinda drove me away from it.

Now mind you I've got nothing against PvP, but it's difficult for me to sit down and drop multiple hours into a single operation. I generally have to be ready to AFK at a seconds notice, and when that can cost you the ship your flying or get you left behind on an op... yeah. It made things difficult, and then I found out the hard way my computer chokes at anything larger than maybe a five vs five, considering a large scale battle caused my entire machine to nearly lock up. I never DID get to do anything except sit there and die, by the time I had any control again I had already been blown up and podded.

Have they done anything to fix the lag, or have things drifted more towards small scale combat that isn't so lag-tastic?

And another thing, is it still "missiles or bust" for PvE? I might have been able to stand ratting better if I had been able to fly a Rohk or something during it rather than a Raven, as I personally hated missiles. (Going Caldari might not have been the best idea in the world but hell, I have Caldari Battleship V by now I think, so I ain't remaking.)

And hell, while I'm asking questions... does it still take a ton of training to get involved in PvP beyond tackling? As pretty much since the day I came to EVE I wanted to fly a Rohk, but it seemed like it'd take a ton of time to ever be able to fly one, much less fly one decently. Especially with training missiles for faster ratting but railguns for Rohking.

edited June 2008
    Digito wrote: »
    Have they done anything to fix the lag, or have things drifted more towards small scale combat that isn't so lag-tastic?

Lag is still shitty and seemingly random - sometimes a 200-person fight will be surprisingly lag-free, and sometimes it'll crash the node - but most decent PC's should be able to handle a moderate battle okay with a few optimizations. I play on a MacBook Pro/x1600 (booted in Windows XP) and I've had fights with 50-100 people in them play smoothly with premium graphics.

For what it's worth, CCP is aware of the problem and currently theory-crafting all kinds of game design that will split fights up.
    And another thing, is it still "missiles or bust" for PvE? I might have been able to stand ratting better if I had been able to fly a Rohk or something during it rather than a Raven, as I personally hated missiles. (Going Caldari might not have been the best idea in the world but hell, I have Caldari Battleship V by now I think, so I ain't remaking.)

No, never was.

I rat in a Dominix with drones and blasters, and I hear T2 cruisers are fun, but overall a Raven is still the simplest and most effective PvE ship in the Caldari arsenal, because missiles fly far and don't take cap to shoot. Likewise, most races have one ship that's better than the others at PvE due to the ability to fit a good tank and some kind of cap-less damage-dealing, and a Raven is probably still the best overall, but I never bothered training into one even though I have Caldari BS to level 3.

For missions you can get away with guns a lot of the time, at least on the easier ones, and honestly anything that does damage without sacrificing your tank is fine for PvE. Rat in whatever you want. EVE is a sandbox.

I hate ratting too (though I don't have anything against missiles - they look as cool as any other weapon), so I'm always running some kind of get-rich-quick scheme that usually doesn't pan out.
    And hell, while I'm asking questions... does it still take a ton of training to get involved in PvP beyond tackling? As pretty much since the day I came to EVE I wanted to fly a Rohk, but it seemed like it'd take a ton of time to ever be able to fly one, much less fly one decently. Especially with training missiles for faster ratting but railguns for Rohking.

Um no, it never did? If you're just talking huge blob warfare of the kind GS & Co. engages in to claim 0.0 territory, then maybe. Electronic warfare is a big intermediary step and very popular in goonswarm at the moment (and Caldari currently has the best ewar so you're all set!), and there are all kinds of other roles you can aim for to aid "the blob", such as covert ops, dictor, etc. (hell, FC even). In small gang fights (which can still be had) the various combat-oriented cruisers are still a blast. Hell, I had fun shooting newbies in low-sec solo in a destroyer. You don't have to fly a fleet BS to "get involved" in PvP, and I think you underestimate how much fun tackling can be.

I am still working on battleship sniping skills, and tbh you don't really want to fly a rokh into a fight until you can afford to replace it a couple times, which means you may as well train missiles to get that cash. Still, a rokh is better on the grind front than other snipers, since you can be effective without T2 guns.

• RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, I have propulsion jamming and afterburner trained, and I'm working on high speed manuvering and currently Caldari Frigate lvl IV. I mainly started training Frigate 4 because I didn't plan to log in for many hours, and didn't want to waste time with nothing training. Is Bee-lining for Frigate 5 a bad idea?

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118