As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EVE Online Empyrean Age: Not like the trailer but still really good

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I spent a while last night looking at the pos situations in the 3 stations systems being hit, and just missed a shot at a hauler in c9n that was scooping a small/putting up a large :(

However, getting majority in 0oy is nice, I wonder where Red Overlord will go next, JO-? K-9? 2-R? Who knows!

What 5 weeks to sov 3 in 0oy? I wouldn't start attacking stuff before that happens.

Ethea on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ethea wrote: »
    TekDragon wrote: »
    dhirsch wrote: »
    E-p is on the front lines?! Awesome.

Resubbing to defend the wangstar.

Confirming this. Saturday night I was part of the largest 99%-goonswarm fleet I've ever been in at like 300 people, and we raped a BS fleet in VNG.

Using lag and server stability as a weapon must be fun.

The fight had zero server lag. Grid load was normal for fleet fights, and only people that had poor bracket setups got hurt. Maybe next time troll.

What we are saying here is not that "AAA sucks for not being able to match 300 people in US prime" (and I'm sure they will beat us more as this war drags on and goons don't log in every day) but that there are motherfucking huge lag-free fleet fights one jump from Merch's home.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, would I be more useful flying a tackler frigate, a quite poorly fitted battleship(just got cruiser 5), or some sort of cruiser?

I want to help when I re-sub

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    goobersgoobers Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The people in corporation chat were very nice to me today :) Is inflation really bad, or are people just that rich that they can afford to give a newbie 10 or 50 million isk?

goobers on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Just that "rich"

Rich, as in that's really not that much money. For somebody ratting in a nicely fitted BS, or especially capital ship, you can make that much cash very easily. Its like... sending your eight dollars a month to some african kids. You go without two latte's, they eat for the month. That sort of thing.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    goobers wrote: »
    The people in corporation chat were very nice to me today :) Is inflation really bad, or are people just that rich that they can afford to give a newbie 10 or 50 million isk?

Generally hull cost:

Tech 1:
    Frigate < 1m
    Destroyer: ~1m
    Cruiser 3-4m
    BattleCruiser 20m-30m
    Battleship 60m-110m
    Carrier: 600m
    Dreadnought: 1.1b
    Mothership: 15b ( mineral cost )
    Titan: > 40b ( mineral cost iirc )

Tech 2:
    Frigate: 8-14m
    Destroyer: 10-25m
    Cruiser: 75m-90m
    BattleCruiser: 95m-110m
    Battleship: 400m-600m

So yeah 50m is a great starting base of cash, but it will not last you long if you want to fly fancy ships.

Ethea on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    God, I need to get back into 0.0 space again, I'm down to 150m isk right now and I'm afraid I'm going to do something incredible stupid that will just end in me forking out the last of my cash.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah one guy last night just started sending me money because I was willing to come out to 0.0 and I had only been playing the day. When you're character is new there is almost no reason not to go.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Confirming this. Saturday night I was part of the largest 99%-goonswarm fleet I've ever been in at like 300 people, and we raped a BS fleet in VNG.

:rotate:

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Cymoro wrote: »

:rotate:

fofofofofofofofofofofofo.

Now for something serious:
    fofofofofofofofofofofofofo

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh client freezing + memleak + server lag where guns don't fire more than once a minute, that was frustrating as fuck

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh client freezing + memleak + server lag where guns don't fire more than once a minute, that was frustrating as fuck

eve online, ladies and gentlemen

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I actually reloaded my client after the first warpout, didn't do it the second time and it's completely hung, I hope I'm not dead!

wheee - update - not dead yet!

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah at the engagement earlier this afternoon I warped out and back into the fight twice, and each time my framerate was lower bordering on unplayable the last time.

Fuck this fucking bug in the fucking ass.

Still didn't have any server lag though!

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I have nothing to do today but read, is there anything on the EvE wiki I should focus on as a newb until I get forum access at merch i?

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I actually reloaded my client after the first warpout, didn't do it the second time and it's completely hung, I hope I'm not dead!

wheee - update - not dead yet!

45min from post to death, not bad.
    http://killboard.tauceti-federation.com/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=102690

Ethea on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait, E-P under attack? I'm going to resub later tonight and then suicide industrials into the enemy until they take pity on me and move away.

After playing the ass off some L4D, of course.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    I have nothing to do today but read, is there anything on the EvE wiki I should focus on as a newb until I get forum access at merch i?

Just read whatever interests you; there is a ton of shit to learn. Anything involving game mechanics is always useful, maybe learn what a few different types of ship you've never heard of are for. But definitely understand the various kinds of warp bubbles and how they pull you out of warp like in interdictors in Star Wars novels, techniques for surviving gate camps, etc. When get access follow a Merch or GoonFleet wiki guide to overview setups (the GF one is a pretty good starting point, but you will have to intelligently customize the tabs based on what role you are playing in the fleet a little and what you think you will need - experience is the best guide so just get out there and die a lot).

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »
    Note to newbies: StormyWaters was kicked out of Goonswarm.

So take what he says with a grain of salt of course he's going to have a different opinion of shit hth. This is probably one of the best times to start playing EVE :)

I'm actually far less bitter now though because -a- had a lot more pvp going on at all times (from main station-one bridge to hed gatecamp, 5 jumps from there to providence, 5 jumps from the station to curse, 5 to stain, 5 bridges+jumps to querious). POS war bums me out though hopefully feyth/eso fall quick and we can just run around in roaming gangs instead of waiting for someone to mistime a POS.

What corp are you in?

COL, I didn't realize there was another -a- guy who posts here :O Why does your sig say both Merch & -a-?

Heh I quit back last winter. So I could pass as both fairly unnoticed. If I restart I'll be taking it out of my sig I bet.

Good to see things are a changin, thinking of resubbing when the semester is over.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Just read whatever interests you; there is a ton of shit to learn. Anything involving game mechanics is always useful, maybe learn what a few different types of ship you've never heard of are for. But definitely understand the various kinds of warp bubbles and how they pull you out of warp like in interdictors in Star Wars novels, techniques for surviving gate camps, etc. When get access follow a Merch or GoonFleet wiki guide to overview setups (the GF one is a pretty good starting point, but you will have to intelligently customize the tabs based on what role you are playing in the fleet a little).

I spent a good 20 minutes or so reading about the great northern war and all the stuff that has gone down around the titan class vessels. I really don't know what role I want to play. I know I can start up soon with tackling in a frig in a few hours. I was thinking it might be cool to try and make my character really good at this but theres probably not much to it after so long. I usually play a character that takes a big beating and keeps going so maybe try to go down that path would be best for me, but I don't know how that plays out in EvE.

I would like to do something memorable, but of course I've only been playing two days, so cant get everything you want right heh.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would like to do something memorable, but of course I've only been playing two days, so cant get everything you want right heh.

You would be incredibly surprised. Take Hrin, for example.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Becoming a goon hero at the intersection of immense stupidity and unimaginable luck.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Whatever works right heh

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »

Becoming a goon hero at the intersection of immense stupidity and unimaginable luck.

what did i do that was stupid?

Did i argue to put afterburners on a vagabond?

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    hazywater wrote: »

i think he's talking about shrike.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cymoro wrote: »
    hazywater wrote: »

i think he's talking about shrike.

The what-now?

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    See now someone has to tell the story.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oooh, Oooh, story time!

Raslin on

• Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It used to be in the OP. Its not now, but its in this one: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=41564

Do a text search for Hrin or Hazywater and that should bring it up

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ohh.

Why didn't anyone say it was the titan thing

Raslin on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh I thought it might have been a bit longer of a story.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck.

Resubbing my WC5 pilot. I hate you motherfuckers.

Screamline on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I spent a good 20 minutes or so reading about the great northern war and all the stuff that has gone down around the titan class vessels. I really don't know what role I want to play. I know I can start up soon with tackling in a frig in a few hours. I was thinking it might be cool to try and make my character really good at this but theres probably not much to it after so long. I usually play a character that takes a big beating and keeps going so maybe try to go down that path would be best for me, but I don't know how that plays out in EvE.

As mentioned, you might be surprised. I am still a pretty shitty tackler and for the longest time it was all I could do in a fleet. It takes a while to really get in the swing of things and be able to be right there holding down the primary.

From tackling there are a couple things that pretty much any goonswarm pilot needs:
    • Salvaging (best way to make money in n00b ships in 0.0, way better than level 1 or 2 missions)
    • The ability to rat - meaning move into a battlecruiser, then a battleship, and train the necessary skills for ratting setups (this will also allow you to run missions)

Apart from moneymaking it's your choice. You can make yourself enormously valuable by training covert ops for example and getting warp-ins on enemy fleets, likewise every fleet needs interdictors (though they do die a whole fuck of a lot of the time) or spend a while training freighters and work for InterBee and be totally invisible. :)

I personally trained tech 2 reimbursable large rail gun sniping just to be a general grunt since our fleets often seem to not pack quite enough of a punch to me and the role is familiar (after ratting in a battleship forever) and fairly exciting, and you really get to rack up the killmails and shoot stuff. However, it took months to get to this point so for something to do in the interim that wasn't tackling I spent a couple weeks training ewar and blackbirds. Maybe, if I'm still playing EVE in a year, I will be flying a dreadnought. Before that I'd really like to get cov-ops, heat, and some other useful skills to level 5 though.

You could also just say "fuck isk" and afk train for some specialized role and log in when it's done and beg for donations to buy whatever ship you need, but this is not recommended.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I really enjoy the idea of tackling so I am going that route first to see how much I do like it, and probably build up different ship types as I do that.

My biggest problem is trying to find a gang to run with during my timezone, but that seems to be working out slowly for me.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    w00t. Got the money to resub with my 12 mill sp char. I put in a corp app with a trial character but withdrew it once I got my main back. I'll be reapplying as soon as I can get back to a corp office.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Screamline wrote: »
    Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck.

Resubbing my WC5 pilot. I hate you motherfuckers.

no don't

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

From tackling there are a couple things that pretty much any goonswarm pilot needs:

Salvaging (best way to make money in n00b ships in 0.0, way better than level 1 or 2 missions)

Hold the phone, you're not talking about fleet salvaging are you? My memory may be a little rusty, but back when I was in Goon, getting caught salvaging wrecks after battles was an automatic ban from GoonSwarm unless you had permission.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Salvaging (best way to make money in n00b ships in 0.0, way better than level 1 or 2 missions)

Hold the phone, you're not talking about fleet salvaging are you? My memory may be a little rusty, but back when I was in Goon, getting caught salvaging wrecks after battles was an automatic ban from GoonSwarm unless you had permission.

His mentor was apple boy.

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's interesting to see that salvaging takes a sort of negative conatone in EvE. What if it was just enemy ships? Or is it just polite to leave it so they can try and get their gear back?

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's interesting to see that salvaging takes a sort of negative conatone in EvE. What if it was just enemy ships? Or is it just polite to leave it so they can try and get their gear back?

Salvaging isn't looked at negatively at all. When you're a newbie it's a great thing you can do to make ISK. You usually salvage the wrecks of NPC rats, not of players.

Fleet battles are done (obviously) for the benefit of the Alliance. When you kill someone, their shit becomes yours. If you're salvaging and looting enemy wrecks during a fleet battle, you're a dick.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png