As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Concert Suggestions for PAX '07

AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in PAX Archive
I just ran across this video... I don't know who this group is, but it would be awesome to get them to PAX in '07!

http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/1703042/

I've also heard that there's an orchestra that performs Smash Bros live. Maybe it's the same group, I'm not sure, but I'd love to see them in concert.

PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
Accalon on

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    With his new album coming out next month, Weird Al will probably be in the midst of a tour by the time PAX comes around next year...

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Ideally I would love to see the Minibosses and MC Frontalot return for the 4th year in a row, as well hopfully MC Chris will be back after missing this year. But I would certainly love to see Weird Al there.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Ezekiel Zelias ChaosEzekiel Zelias Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The Black Mages

Ezekiel Zelias Chaos on
    heh heh heh
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The Black Mages

/agreed

I've seen them in concert, and they are better than they are on the albums, if this is at all possible. *drools to the thought of seeing OWA live again*

You can't even hear their version of that song unless you see em live.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2006
    How about the Australian group Tripod?
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1329362959167995041

Unknown User on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The Black Mages

/agreed

I've seen them in concert, and they are better than they are on the albums, if this is at all possible. *drools to the thought of seeing OWA live again*

You can't even hear their version of that song unless you see em live.

I saw that too before E3 in 2005 and it was absolutely fantastic. With the namesake PAX is getting too, it could very well be a possibility.

The obvious issue is that tickets costed $45-95 each and while i'm sure a bunch of people would pay that to get in, I'm not sure just how many infact would.

Polago on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    I want to see MC Chris back. He had arguably the best show last year, and I'm genuinely disappointed that he won't be there this year. In addition, I'll second the motion to get Weird Al and throw in my own suggestion for Freezepop.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    I suggested Freezepop way before you, man. :P

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I didn't much care for MC Chris, but I'm well aware that I'm way in the minority with that opinion.

Best in show last year, to me, was a toss-up between MC Frontalot (Always excellent) and Optimus Rhyme (Who were much better live than on the CD of theirs I purchased, much to my chagrin)

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    I didn't much care for MC Chris, but I'm well aware that I'm way in the minority with that opinion.

Best in show last year, to me, was a toss-up between MC Frontalot (Always excellent) and Optimus Rhyme (Who were much better live than on the CD of theirs I purchased, much to my chagrin)

Frontalot was great. I didn't care too much about Optimus Rhyme though. Too rappy.

MC Chris was half and half. I enjoyed the sound he produced. Yet I didn't enjoy being doused in water. D:

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Yes, but see how I've embraced it? Unlike you, I actually mean it. :wink:

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Legacy wrote:

O_o Riiiiiiight...

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Legacy wrote:

O_o Riiiiiiight...
    It's late man. It's my "I've been up for 22 hours and am trying to be funny" routine. Disregard.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'd say mc chris was the best last year as well.

I don't care much for MC Frontalot. I don't much like his rapping style, or his prehistoric dance moves. (he looks like a raptor when he walks)

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    MC Chris's albums are pretty hot, and he clearly used them as backing vocals in a big way when he performed live last year -- it was a big dissapointment for me. It was also a stark contrast to MC Front who actually put on a live show.

But I have a feeling you guys are going to be blown away by Mike Relm -- I was the one who took Khoo to that Amon Tobin concert in SF this spring, and Relm was the opening act. Fuck if he didn't steal the show -- his shit is 50% A/50% V in a way that is indescribable, and Khoo had him signed for PAX the next week.

Needless to say I was stoked. This is going to be a big, big year for PAX.

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2006
    the NSO and there concert PLAY, a video game orchestra

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    MC Chris's albums are pretty hot, and he clearly used them as backing vocals in a big way when he performed live last year -- it was a big dissapointment for me. It was also a stark contrast to MC Front who actually put on a live show.

I felt the exact same way. It's the reason I liked Optimus Rhyme and Front the best out of everyone who played last year.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    But I have a feeling you guys are going to be blown away by Mike Relm -- I was the one who took Khoo to that Amon Tobin concert in SF this spring, and Relm was the opening act. Fuck if he didn't steal the show -- his shit is 50% A/50% V in a way that is indescribable, and Khoo had him signed for PAX the next week.

:(

Sucks that he cancelled. Maybe next year?

Legacy on
  • Options
    flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

Next time you go to see him, please slap some sense into the man. And figure out wtf happened here. 4 months of lead up has kind of soured me now. I demand an explanation.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Husher~Husher~ Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    perhaps the band that plays for red vs blue

Husher~ on
    active
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    flatrabbit wrote:

Next time you go to see him, please slap some sense into the man. And figure out wtf happened here. 4 months of lead up has kind of soured me now. I demand an explanation.
    For real. I was very excited to see the Relm character, but now hes gone. :cry:

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    E3 gets cancelled, Ati gets swallowed, PS3 is a fatty-gone-wild, no more 40 man raids in WoW, I probably can't take gadgets on my flight to PAX, and Mike Relm cancels for PAX

It's been a weird couple of weeks. Something has to give, man.

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    E3 gets cancelled, Ati gets swallowed, PS3 is a fatty-gone-wild, no more 40 man raids in WoW, I probably can't take gadgets on my flight to PAX, and Mike Relm cancels for PAX

You should be able to take your gadgets with you.

But all that hair gel you need will have to stay at home... :P

Legacy on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2006

What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006

What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.

"Do you want this body?"
    "Is that a trick question?"

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Husher~Husher~ Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    lol Dragonforce

lol in a interview they did say they pull a lot of there ideas from video game music. :P

Husher~ on
    active
  • Options
    NekomimiNekomimi attorney at lawl Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I want to see MC Chris back. He had arguably the best show last year, and I'm genuinely disappointed that he won't be there this year.

Is there any particular reason MC Chris didn't come back for 2006? If there was a reason other than that he's been working on Dungeon Master of Ceremonies and has his own tour this fall, I missed it.

I'm glad I'll get to see him in a couple of weeks, though, so I'm not crushed. Y'all should check his tour dates if you missed seeing him at PAX this year. He's got a billion shows in September all over.

I'd REALLY be psyched if Freezepop played. I hope the guys can get them to do it. The Black Mages would be rad, but I'm not holding my breath. The lineup they had this year was great, I'd like to see all those guys back yet again.

Nekomimi on
  • Options
    hardcorecombhardcorecomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Frontalot for sure!
    They could get rid of optimus rhyme alltogether... you couldent even understand what he was saying... and mc chris is a obvious choice.

hardcorecomb on
    tinhatani.gif
  • Options
    BSR StashBSR Stash Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    From what I had heard from Tycho when I was at the table top area during the omegnaut round was that MC Chris was busy during that time. He said that Chris did in fact want to come, so he hasn't forgotten about us PAX goers.

BSR Stash on
  • Options
    CAL_GORECAL_GORE Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It didn't look like it was mentioned here in the thread, despite the many Freezepop suggestions, but didn't Jerry say during the 3rd panel that they were going to try and get Freezepop next PAX? Maybe it was in a different panel, or a different person...

I guess it'd be pretty hard to pull off, but I suggest they try and get Tenacious D next year. They may not be that specific to gaming, but when Wonderboy was played during the intermission of the first concert, and everyone knew the words and sang along, well, that was pretty cool.

CAL_GORE on
    I don't have a tablet so I can't write my signature.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    CAL_GORE wrote:
    It didn't look like it was mentioned here in the thread, despite the many Freezepop suggestions, but didn't Jerry say during the 3rd panel that they were going to try and get Freezepop next PAX? Maybe it was in a different panel, or a different person...

Yeah, Jerry said that they want them for next year.

I hope so.

Legacy on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm hoping Connie Lyn returns

As much as I like the Video Game Pianist, I think Connie brings a certain element of unbridled class to the proceedings.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Taramoor wrote:
    I'm hoping Connie Lyn returns

As much as I like the Video Game Pianist, I think Connie brings a certain element of unbridled class to the proceedings.

If she does, I hope she learns some Chrono Trigger.

I mean, FF is alright...but... :|

Legacy on
  • Options
    radjagoradjago Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    radjago on
    PAX East Train Alliance, Metal Gear Line: 2013 || 2012 || 2010
  • Options
    JoshEEEJoshEEE Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Three words:

Weird Al Yankovic.

:D

JoshEEE on
    Bring it

GWgFmYD.png
  • Options
    NekomimiNekomimi attorney at lawl Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    JoshEEE wrote:
    Three words:

Weird Al Yankovic.

:D

Weird Al is hella fun, but I've seen him several times now and his show never seems to change and just feels too staged. I like the raw rock power of the guys they book now.

Nekomimi on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Remember less bands means more playing time per band. But we need to see if the guys at the new center will let us get a mosh pit.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArghetlamArghetlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    For a while now, I've been doing some arranging for concert band, mostly revolving around the works of Nobuo Uematsu. With a bigger venue, the stage should be big enough to fit a full eighty member concert band on. Perhaps I could pass some of my works off to someone else, or, if I get lucky, conduct them myself. . ?

Who knows, but it would be cool to see some of my arrangements played in front of people who actually know games.

Arghetlam on
    "Music trancends time." - Dave Wakeley
    "When pirates and ninjas fight, everyone wins." -Tycho
    The new, improved One Shots Website
    Proud Wardriver from the Cross Country Super Trip '06!
    Proud Iron Smogger for 2008
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Piano Squalll!!!

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    it really won't influence whether i come or not next year, but i'd definitely love to see mc chris again. he was actually the reason i came to pax in the first place last year, before i got into penny arcade.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
This discussion has been closed.