As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Abandoning my roommates (and still paying rent)

Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm currently living with 3 others in a Penthouse in the "city". I found a great apartment that I can rent that would be much closer to work, closer to girlfriend, is in a much nicer area, etc.

I really want to move, for multiple reasons. I like my roommates, however not as roommates. We were friends before and now our living situation really has me cramped, and just wanted to live on my own. I've tried talking about keeping the place semi-clean but it doesn't seem to have worked, so I really feel I'd just be better off on my own.

I'm thinking about going ahead and leasing the other apartment, and telling my roommates that I'm moving out, but that I will still pay rent. (I've budgeted it out, I can afford it, yay promotion!)

Is there anything I should be looking out for. I trust these guys as far as paying rent and everything, and I did look into breaking the lease but it's just not feasible for them.

Project Mayhem on

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So long as you are keeping up your financial end of the bargain, I don't think anyone could logically say anything. How much longer is left on your lease? Paying for a rent you're not using, while good practice, since you haven't yet finished it, will get old fast, even if you can afford it.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    There's 6 months left on the lease, and while I'd love to just break it, it'd end up costing $4500. I don't want to put them in that sort of financial burden, and I think it'd be better for my sanity to move out.

Project Mayhem on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    2nd the "How much longer is left on the lease?" question. If it's more than two or three months, they might be able to find someone else to live there. Also, when you're presenting this to them, you might want to put some emphasis on the "closer to work and gf" bit, and avoiding the "you guys are slobs" bit. They might be friendlier toward the idea if the reason isn't them.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wouldn't even mention the cleaning thing, just say "it's closer to work and in a nicer area."

Tell them you'll pay rent until they can find someone else to move in, and help them find a roommate.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yes, with 6 months left on the lease, try to find another roommate so you don't have to pay rent at a place you're not living at for half a year. Breaking the lease is obviously out, since your friends can't take the burden, but if you have someone else that might want to move in with them, or you can find one soon, do that instead.

Rend on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If they find another person to rent, most landlords/rental companies will cancel the old lease and draw up a new lease for the remaining 6 months. Especially if you offer to pay for the new person's credit check.

That way you get any deposits back that you paid.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I agree with the subletting. It's worked well for me in the past and saved me a ton of money. Just make sure you check with your landlord as to whether it's kosher under your current lease.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check on the subletting, not sure how well that'd work out, since I was actually sharing my room with someone. I talked it over and their general attitude was "gotta do what you gotta do". So I'm going to go ahead and bite the bullet tomorrow. Thanks again!

Project Mayhem on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If your name is on the lease then when they move out you are liable for any damages or any sort of extra charges like cleaning, etc.

It will be an issue if they are the type to not pay up.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I wouldn't even mention the cleaning thing, just say "it's closer to work and in a nicer area."

Tell them you'll pay rent until they can find someone else to move in, and help them find a roommate.

This. Make sure your name is off the lease and you get your piece of the security deposit back at that time.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Other people have given good advice, and I just wanted to throw in that leases, in practice are a way for the landlord to ensure the continued income from the rental for a set period of time. Provided they are still going to get paid, and that the new roommate is satisfactory to them, most landlords will be decent about letting you out of it.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would talk to the landlord and see if he can walk through the apartment with you to clear you ahead of time of any damages.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would talk to the landlord and see if he can walk through the apartment with you to clear you ahead of time of any damages.

I disagree with this. There is always damage to apartments, it's part of normal living. If you can, keep the landlord out of it, get the new roomie to give you the amount of your deposit, and let everyone consider him having made the original deposit. It's a little scummy, but you'll get your full deposit back, and I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts he won't.

chromdom on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    chromdom wrote: »

I disagree with this. There is always damage to apartments, it's part of normal living. If you can, keep the landlord out of it, get the new roomie to give you the amount of your deposit, and let everyone consider him having made the original deposit. It's a little scummy, but you'll get your full deposit back, and I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts he won't.

I got my entire security deposit back when I moved out of my apartment to join the Navy, minus the cost of cleaning the windows (and the window tracks) because they were pretty nasty and I didn't want to clean them.

A lot of it just depends on your landlord, and also whether you've been a good tenant.

Regina Fong on