As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CRY ON] This is actually the TF2 thread if you didn't know (56K ARE BABY)

• Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Good pyros and such can destroy a good heavy with no medic buddy

Bring it Gumpy I'll Sasha your Face off.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    theantipop wrote: »
    I was hoping for an inverse of this, of sorts, to happen. For the medic to become less necessary in each and every game. As it stands, all other things being equal, adding one medic where you had none is so greatly more advantageous than any other class it feels unbalanced. It was closer to balanced in TFC, I think, because they could be useful but not so much more useful than any other single class that they were necessary. I strongly felt that the medic update should've been used to give medics a bit more combat mobility and prowess in exchange for a portion of their healing rate.

One thing that would help is allowing dispensers to buff people. Buffs are such a huge part of the medic's game - having everyone on your team at 150% health is always going to be more effective than anything else any other class can do. The Quickly getting people back into combat and ubercharging is just icing on the cake, especially in maps that already have a lot of healthpacks.

Squidget0 on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    I use CVFG to move and scripts for everything else.

I don't even actually play. I just have a machine set up independently with a whole bunch of sophisticated programs to fire up TF2 at specific times and have a bot run around and whinge at people.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Monkeybomb wrote: »
    no, q&w, you obviously didn't read my post
    Monkeybomb wrote: »
    You know what I do that's totally crazy and off the wall, guys?

I use ESDF instead of WASD

don't try to stop me because you can't

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Quaz and Wally on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey You wrote: »
    TF2 PA drink your face off in NY city update:

Hey guys, I know we've talked about doing a TF2 PA drink your face off in NY city (for those of use on the East coast that cant make it to PAX). We've had a lot of people interested that eather live here in town, close to town, and even a couple of Canadians (ie. enders). A few people threw out the end of August. I'm checking to see how Labor day weekend looks for people? That's Friday August 29th through Monday September 1st. Would anyone be interested in this? We still have to work out some activities or a place(s) to meet up. I really wish I could get PA involved in setting something like this up. I'm wanting to put together a flyer for this too, if anyone is interested in helping (maybe w the picture of the Heavy drinking tea)
    Beast message me on steam tonight
    will do

until then, that's a great time for myself..i was supposed to be in cali that weekend but it got moved forward a couple weeks so it's now perfect for me

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Hey guys, I know we've talked about doing a TF2 PA drink your face off in NY city (for those of use on the East coast that cant make it to PAX). We've had a lot of people interested that eather live here in town, close to town, and even a couple of Canadians (ie. enders). A few people threw out the end of August. I'm checking to see how Labor day weekend looks for people? That's Friday August 29th through Monday September 1st. Would anyone be interested in this? We still have to work out some activities or a place(s) to meet up. I really wish I could get PA involved in setting something like this up. I'm wanting to put together a flyer for this too, if anyone is interested in helping (maybe w the picture of the Heavy drinking tea)

I might be interested in making the trip up from DC. It'll depend on the guest list, I think.

theantipop on
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    I use CVFG to move and scripts for everything else.

I hope this is a joke. :P

artoo on
  • Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    With all the ruckus that happened over the discussion of a script for simple crouch jumping, I'm surprised there weren't more objections to the scripts I used. Jesus Christ I went nuts when I finally learned how to do it.

Quaz and Wally on
    edited July 2008
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    I was hoping for an inverse of this, of sorts, to happen. For the medic to become less necessary in each and every game. As it stands, all other things being equal, adding one medic where you had none is so greatly more advantageous than any other class it feels unbalanced. It was closer to balanced in TFC, I think, because they could be useful but not so much more useful than any other single class that they were necessary. I strongly felt that the medic update should've been used to give medics a bit more combat mobility and prowess in exchange for a portion of their healing rate.

One thing that would help is allowing dispensers to buff people. Buffs are such a huge part of the medic's game - having everyone on your team at 150% health is always going to be more effective than anything else any other class can do. The Quickly getting people back into combat and ubercharging is just icing on the cake, especially in maps that already have a lot of healthpacks.

That's a fair suggestion. Although the engineer update might take medics off omgwant status for pugs (which is all I was really talking about), I still think their greatest asset is returning your brawn back into combat faster. The overheal will make a difference in a lot of fights, but I think it's their penchant for allowing sustained offensive strikes or defensive holds that is more why they are such gods.

theantipop on
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I would attend, with gusto.

crucialityfactor on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Bring it Gumpy I'll Sasha your Face off.

you're on

Gumpy on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So how many people actually live in NYC? I'm going to be there next weekend.

Edit: Though, I'll likely be in a hotel and drinking most of the weekend...

mrflippy on
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ok so I don't feel like trying to find it

but how do I obtain one of these TF2 buttons for PAX

Sara Lynn on
    edited July 2008
    Sara Lynn wrote: »

Find Jon, unbutton the top 2 buttons, wrap your arms tight around him and lay a passionate kiss on him. Ignore the angry woman standing to his right.

theantipop on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Meet me at PAX and tell me the password.

For extra fun, get in on this.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    what if she is on his left isn't that a possibility

Sara Lynn on
    edited July 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »

umm...the only ones i know for sure are Hey You, Littleboots, and myself.

next weekend as in 18/19/20 type thing? i'll be leaving early sunday morning for a business trip, but until then i'll be drinking also i'm sure

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited July 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »

next weekend as in 18/19/20 type thing? i'll be leaving early sunday morning for a business trip, but until then i'll be drinking also i'm sure

Yeah, I'll be there for this.

mrflippy on
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    It's not about what's possible, it's about the ethics involved. I am extending a logicial conclusion to his line of argument.

I would love to hear what he himself has to say in respone.

PS: enders, is one of the admins gradually sabotaging all the avatars and sigs on the boards or is this a craze.

Ethics? You're bringing up ethics in a fps? Okie, I'll bite.

If scripting is allowed by valve, and if allowed by the server admin, then it is entirely ethical to use them.

Roland_tHTG on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    what if she is on his left isn't that a possibility

I'm pretty sure she's going to make it a point to be on my left now.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited July 2008

i actually was going to attend that for "business" until i got called away to http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2008/public/content/home ..... two conferences back to back was just too much for them to pay me to do..haha

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

i actually was going to attend that for "business" until i got called away to http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2008/public/content/home ..... two conferences back to back was just too much for them to pay me to do..haha

To add, Goose live in Long Island, Valincia (spelling?)live in queens, YoosRdelisous live in astoria with me, and there is a whole slue of people that live in Jersey (Typhloid manny, typhloids roommate that plays with us (that might be blindpsycic), zek, and more). Im sure there are more PAers that live in NY.

Hey You on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I live near NYC but I'm underage and that's three days after college starts :V

Lemming on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hot damn what the heavy needs is the ability to function well without a medic.

No more no less

Okay, this is already the biggest joke statement on its own for anyone familiar with TFC, but especially when regarding medics...

Did you even play the game? On offense, medics outshone scouts 99% of the time, and along with soldiers were the two most useful classes by an order of magnitude.

SithDrummer on
    edited July 2008
    Lemming wrote: »
    could i be that old cool dude who gets you into drinking constantly and ruins your life completely?!?!?!?

i wanna be him

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited July 2008
    could i be that old cool dude who gets you into drinking constantly and ruins your life completely?!?!?!?

i wanna be him

Im on that list too beast... :|

Hey You on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's not about what's possible, it's about the ethics involved. I am extending a logicial conclusion to his line of argument.

PS: enders, is one of the admins gradually sabotaging all the avatars and sigs on the boards or is this a craze.

If scripting is allowed by valve, and if allowed by the server admin, then it is entirely ethical to use them.

But are there not many things that are disapproved of and looked down upon that are technically allowed by valve?

Gumpy on
    edited July 2008

i wanna be him

But you guys aren't cool though

Lemming on
    edited July 2008

i wanna be him

I'm pretty cool.

mrflippy on
    edited July 2008

i wanna be him

what?!?!? getting completely drunk most nights and then staying at home to play TF2 is not considered cool these days?!?!? D:

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

But are there not many things that are disapproved of and looked down upon that are technically allowed by valve?

I have no idea if using scripts are disapproved of or looked down upon by valve, and anything else that goes on that they don't like is not what I was addressing.

Trying to use scripts in CAL is illegal, therefore it is unethical. Trying to use them on servers which allow them is entirely ethical.

My point is that to bring ethics into this discussion is silly because you get into the realm of opinions, rather than rules, and the admin decides the rules.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm gonna be living in upstate New York soon.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2008
    I think Tyrannus mentioned something about going too.

Hey You on
    edited July 2008

You could always drink your face off with soft drinks or red bull....

Hey You on
    edited July 2008

He counts for five or six people, so you wouldn't notice me missing anyway

Lemming on
    edited July 2008

No more no less

Okay, this is already the biggest joke statement on its own for anyone familiar with TFC, but especially when regarding medics...

Did you even play the game? On offense, medics outshone scouts 99% of the time, and along with soldiers were the two most useful classes by an order of magnitude.

I was talking about their healing capacity. Medics could kill anyone at anytime without batting an eye because of concs and nades, sure, but their ability to heal was not game breaking. I feel like medics went from ridiculous offensive class to a ridiculous defensive class.

theantipop on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TFC is old and broken.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

No more no less

I was talking about their healing capacity. Medics could kill anyone at anytime without batting an eye because of concs and nades, sure, but their ability to heal was at leas tin check.

Why should a TFC medic worry about healing someone when it was so much easier to infect three people and watch them run into every single one of their team members effectively netting you 12 or more kills?

DualEdge on
    edited July 2008
    also Enders i think?

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited July 2008
    TFC is old and broken.

This is why you can't mention the things the parent game did right, or better.

theantipop on