As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CRY ON] This is actually the TF2 thread if you didn't know (56K ARE BABY)

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    k it's go time get on the server

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    RebellionRebellion Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know I've been beat'd on where to put it, but god I wish someone had explained this shit to me when I started scripting.

A_Brief_Overview_of_Scripts

What wrote: »
    I just dont want TF2 ending up a WoW-like script fest. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

It won't and most importantly - it can't. The difference is, these scripts are simply doing what can be done by anyone in the console command line. You can only work with the commands that are available and they're very limiting.

WoW on the other hand was much more open, as a lot of MMO's are, with the ability to automate most if not all processes. It was also tailored towards more of a developer interest when it allowed 3rd party scripts.

All half-life games and sources of it have had the ability to use command line scripting and it's not destroyed the earth so far. Better yet, it's not going away any time soon either.

Rebellion on
    "Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
    [IMG]http://www.alabasterslim.com/0/number 9.png[/IMG]
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rebellion wrote: »
    Kenninator wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »
    A friend of mine wants to know where he should put that crouchjump script.

Tell him to put it in his fingers, and when he hits space, his small finger should instantly go to Ctrl no matter what.

I'm amazed at many people's lack of ability to do this. It's not a brainbuster or anything.

That's not the point. Anyone can crouch jump with practice. It's being able to do it consistently, every single, never missing and most importantly - not having to worry about doing it flawlessly in those critical hectic moments. In an FPS, if I don't have to worry about it, I wont. There are plenty of other things going on that I'd rather focus all my leet finger skillz on...
    Oh, fuck off.

I am rarely belligerent but your claim, no matter how casual, to harbour 'leet skillz' whilst automating a significant part of the skill-related area of the game is fucking risible.

"Hey I don't want to have to worry about using these pawns because my leet skillz need to be focused on my back line so I will have a computer tell me what the best moves for them are."

"Hey I don't want to have to 'worry about' aiming perfectly so I guess a script that automatically fires when I pass my crosshair over the head of someone will give me more ability to concentrate."

It's fucking lame, man. There is no middle ground here. Stop trying to justify it.

Fucking look at yourself:
    It's being able to do it consistently, every single, never missing and most importantly - not having to worry about doing it flawlessly in those critical hectic moments...
    You're basically saying "well I daren't rely on my own skill at the critical junctures". Hey, guess what, if you can't hack it you should die and the other person who plays better than you should get the kill!

You screw up in the heat of the moment, that's your fault. You die. Deal with it or get better.

Jesus, fuck your attitude and everyone who thinks this is a legitimate line of discourse.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    k it's go time get on the server

Everybody listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can I get one of those buttons mailed to me? I'll give you 1, no 2 dollars.
    Canadian.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Flippy, I love you even more now.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It won't and most importantly - it can't. The difference is, these scripts are simply doing what can be done by anyone in the console command line. You can only work with the commands that are available and they're very limiting.

WoW on the other hand was much more open, as a lot of MMO's are, with the ability to automate most if not all processes. It was also tailored towards more of a developer interest when it allowed 3rd party scripts.

All half-life games and sources of it have had the ability to use command line scripting and it's not destroyed the earth so far. Better yet, it's not going away any time soon either.

Yes, but in both games scripts, in a sense, played the game for you. I do realize that WoW had a more complex scripting line. It all just had the same effect, in my opinion.

TF2:CrouchJumping::WoW:ThreatMeter.

I acknowledge yes, it makes things that are mundane easier. You could watch your own threat AND you can crouch jump yourself. I just prefer to play the game myself. It's sort of pointless to argue though. I have my preference on how I like to play the game and other people have theirs. Neither is wrong.

EDIT: Flippy, why you sassin' like dat?

What on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Canadian.

I'm coming up with something special for distributing the remainder after server donations and PAX are taken care of. Stay tuned in September!

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "fucking risible" now there is a million dollar expression.

I agree scripts are stupid. The only script I would be interested in is some way to key bind the ability to switch out different weapon loadouts easily. It seems to take forever to switch medic and pyro weapons.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the info rebellion and quaz (and to a lesser extent wally).

I already crouchjump the normal way. I may not even use the script. But I broke my left pinky when I was younger (true story) and it cramps up easily, like when I'm trying to keep my fingers over the wasd and hit control and space at the same time.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    EDIT: Flippy, why you sassin' like dat?
    Because he deserves it. More than any other game genre fps is down to skill. Not gear, not weaponary, not even really experience beyond knowing the maps. This is not WoW. This is down to the wire reaction speed hand-eye raw ability and honed skills.

It's like he's saying that the ability to keep a cool head in moments of extreme pressure isn't skill, just an absent convenience that it's okay to artificially replace.

Well hey it's not.

e: guy above me has a more legitimate reason.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I bind crouch to the shift key. I find that to be a much better location.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know I've been beat'd on where to put it, but god I wish someone had explained this shit to me when I started scripting.

A_Brief_Overview_of_Scripts

I just dont want TF2 ending up a WoW-like script fest. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I read that guide in the past, and it doesn't really explain the class cfg files. It makes sense to me now, but at the time I didn't understand why my bind for one class was applying to all of them.

And also, the scripting in Tuftoo may be much more limited, but it doesn't mean you can't automate tasks that should be learned through experience. Those stab and saps scripts bother me, because I learned how to stab and sap proper, with reflexes and timing, not some dumb script where all you have to do is get behind the engineer. I had played around with an autopistol script, but in the end, it was really an unfair advantage to turn the pistol into a minimachine gun, I should deal with the shaking that everybody has to deal with when they mash a mouse button.

I feel like when scripts start taking the element of skill out of the game, it starts becoming a problem. You should really learn how to crouch and jump on your own. If you're changing weapons, okay, you're just changing your weapons with a different keystroke. No big deal. If you're lowering the volume on your speakers so it doesn't jarble your voice chat so much, cool, you're using scripts to get rid of a real world interference that not everybody has to deal with. But if you're using a script to rocket jump? Come on', everybody should learn how to do it themselves.

Ah, I see I've been beaten on this as well.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah flippy said what I tried to say much better

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    (snip)

Flippy, you really need a new example, the shooting-mans-while-mouse-over'd thing isn't possible within the scope of which we speak.

In regards to the crouch-jumping script, I think it's silly. Though once upon a time someone in a TF2 thread wanted a script which would take a screenshot every time he headshotted someone, that was pretty neat. (I made one, well kinda, it took a screenshot each time you'd fire, so you really had to set it while choosing the sniper rifle or else you'd get a slew of screenshots...)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I agree scripts are stupid. The only script I would be interested in is some way to key bind the ability to switch out different weapon loadouts easily. It seems to take forever to switch medic and pyro weapons.

Here's the script I use for medic (Needs documentation, I know)
    equip 5 0 1    //  Equip the blutsauger as default
    alias "priswap" "eq_reg1"
    alias "eq_reg1" "equip 5 0 0;alias priswap eq_sec1"
    alias "eq_sec1" "equip 5 0 1;alias priswap eq_reg1"

equip 5 1 0    //  Equip the medigun as default
    alias "secswap" "eq_sec2"
    alias "eq_reg2" "equip 5 1 0;alias secswap eq_sec2"
    alias "eq_sec2" "equip 5 1 2;alias secswap eq_reg2"

equip 5 2 3    //  Equip the ubersaw as default
    alias "terswap" "eq_reg3"
    alias "eq_reg3" "equip 5 2 0;alias terswap eq_sec3"
    alias "eq_sec3" "equip 5 2 3;alias terswap eq_reg3"

bind f1 priswap
    bind f2 secswap
    bind f3 terswap

And here's pyro...
    equip 7 0 0                                                // Flamethrower Default
    alias "priswap" "eq_back"                                // sets "toggle" to equip flamethrower
    alias "eq_flame" "equip 7 0 0;alias priswap eq_back"        // equips flamethrower and sets toggle to equip backburner
    alias "eq_back" "equip 7 0 5;alias priswap eq_flame"        // equips backburner and sets toggle to equip flamethrower

equip 7 1 4                                                // Flare Default
    alias "secswap" "eq_shot"                                // sets "toggle" to equip flare gun
    alias "eq_flare" "equip 7 1 4;alias secswap eq_shot"        // equips flare gun and sets toggle to equip shotgun
    alias "eq_shot" "equip 7 1 0;alias secswap eq_flare"        // equips shotgun and sets toggle to equip flar egun

equip 7 2 6                                                // Axetinguisher Default
    alias "terswap" "eq_fire"                                // sets "toggle" to equip fireaxe gun
    alias "eq_fire" "equip 7 2 0;alias terswap eq_axe"        // equips fireaxe and sets toggle to equip axetinguisher
    alias "eq_axe" "equip 7 2 6;alias terswap eq_fire"        // equips axetinguisher and sets toggle to equip fireaxe

bind f1 priswap
    bind f2 secswap
    bind f3 terswap

You press f1 to change your primary, f2 for secondary, and f3 for melee

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It's not about what's possible, it's about the ethics involved. I am extending a logicial conclusion to his line of argument.

I would love to hear what he himself has to say in respone.

PS: enders, is one of the admins gradually sabotaging all the avatars and sigs on the boards or is this a craze.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It's not about what's possible, it's about the ethics involved. I am extending a logicial conclusion to his line of argument.

PS: enders, is one of the admins gradually sabotaging all the avatars and sigs on the boards or is this a craze.

It's the best craze

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=63321&page=30

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I use an aimbot because I know I would kill everyone already this just means I don't have to worry about it.

tofu on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    fine by me, it's when you start automating things so your own skills are not a factor that it gets stupid

p.s: i love you flippy

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Well, you're stupid.

What on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I think Flippy ended that argument rather professionally. He was polite, efficient,

and he freaking killed everybody.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the info rebellion and quaz (and to a lesser extent wally).

I already crouchjump the normal way. I may not even use the script. But I broke my left pinky when I was younger (true story) and it cramps up easily, like when I'm trying to keep my fingers over the wasd and hit control and space at the same time.

I'm half hurt. :| (I'm kidding for all you silly nillies)

I have a friend with no fingers on his left hand. I have watched him play and I still have no idea how he manages to play smash brothers and mario kart.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ITT: Bad analogies abound when comparing TF2 to WoW.

theantipop on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

bind f1 priswap
    bind f2 secswap
    bind f3 terswap

And here's pyro...
    equip 7 0 0                                                // Flamethrower Default
    alias "priswap" "eq_back"                                // sets "toggle" to equip flamethrower
    alias "eq_flame" "equip 7 0 0;alias priswap eq_back"        // equips flamethrower and sets toggle to equip backburner
    alias "eq_back" "equip 7 0 5;alias priswap eq_flame"        // equips backburner and sets toggle to equip flamethrower

alias "secswap" "eq_shot"                                // sets "toggle" to equip flare gun
    alias "eq_flare" "equip 7 1 4;alias secswap eq_shot"        // equips flare gun and sets toggle to equip shotgun
    alias "eq_shot" "equip 7 1 0;alias secswap eq_flare"        // equips shotgun and sets toggle to equip flar egun

equip 7 2 6                                                // Axetinguisher Default
    alias "terswap" "eq_fire"                                // sets "toggle" to equip fireaxe gun
    alias "eq_fire" "equip 7 2 0;alias terswap eq_axe"        // equips fireaxe and sets toggle to equip axetinguisher
    alias "eq_axe" "equip 7 2 6;alias terswap eq_fire"        // equips axetinguisher and sets toggle to equip fireaxe

bind f1 priswap
    bind f2 secswap
    bind f3 terswap

Sweet action totally going to use these thanks

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    RebellionRebellion Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Because he deserves it.

No I don't.
    It's like he's saying that the ability to keep a cool head in moments of extreme pressure isn't skill, just an absent convenience that it's okay to artificially replace.

No I didn't.

And your comparisons do not represent the point I was trying to make. I don't advocate actions not humanly possible and outside of the bounds of the command line. Whats more, I don't support the entirety of all the scripts available as many can be considered questionable.

Clearly, I've upset you and for that I apologies. Posting the script was a suggestion to help those who are having trouble learning the sticky/rocket jumps. It was not suggested as a long term solution but rather more of a tip to understand the theory of it all while initially eliminating as many variables as possible. It was also not posted in hopes of arousing discussion. I don't care to discus it any further and I won't. Your opinions won't change and neither will mine. You do not use scripts, and I do. For that, I am not sorry.

I'd suggest if you're as passionate about this as you sound, that you go here to contact Valve directly and voice your opinion.

Rebellion on
    "Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
    [IMG]http://www.alabasterslim.com/0/number 9.png[/IMG]
  • Options
    edited July 2008

bind f1 priswap
    bind f2 secswap
    bind f3 terswap

And here's pyro...

bind f1 priswap
    bind f2 secswap
    bind f3 terswap

Sweet action totally going to use these thanks

You should also thank the democat (Savooipeerd), he was the one the found this script on the SA forums. I kind of just extended it to include the weapons that nobody uses, like the regular fireaxe, needlegun, and bonesaw.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You guys are obviously moving beyond the bounds of the menu system that Valve created.

Fucking cheaters.

tofu on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Canadian.

I'd love you! Got to wait till September, Rock Band 2 and possibly pins :p.

About Scripts, if you can't rocket jump perfectly every time you just shouldn't do it.

I do it to often.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    I hope I'll find a class soon which I feel good at.

Playing a medic because no one else is doing it and that being the only worthwhile thing I do for the team can get slightly boring after like 2 rounds.

I feel you, brother. Although I usually enjoy it because I feel like I may actually be contributing for once.
    I miss Wolf:ET medics that had regular weapons, though.
    My biggest problem with being a medic is large groups of people who need healing. I always seem to lock on the one guy in the group who is at full health rather than the other four who are near-death. The beam isn't stark enough for enclosed spaces.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    It would be great if there was no "inferior weapon" to begin with.

And good god the backburner is so OP it's crazy.

Now I just treat pyros like I'd treat somone running around as spy backstabbing people. I watch my back. Also I look both ways before turning corners.

Pyros kill me instantly from the front too. I just don't understand.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm definitely going to have to Jokerify my avatar and sig when I get home. I just ordered the ticket for the midnight showing next week.

So excited.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Guys, while we're talking about how dumb scripts are, I don't know what to bind to my right mouse button as soldier. I was thinking maybe battlecry, screenshot, battlecry and screenshot, or explode. What do you think?

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I need to do this. My left CTRL key is missing on my laptop and I have to push my fingernail in it to get it to work, thus you probably never see me crouch.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guys, while we're talking about how dumb scripts are, I don't know what to bind to my right mouse button as soldier. I was thinking maybe battlecry, screenshot, battlecry and screenshot, or explode. What do you think?

/quit

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    My rightclick does nothing as soldier.... cause I don't have enough things to bind to make it useful at all.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm definitely going to have to Jokerify my avatar and sig when I get home. I just ordered the ticket for the midnight showing next week.

So excited.

If you just post in the jokerize thread in the AC it'll probably get done for ya. Unless you want to do it yourself and then... just wait :D

Oh and flippy-d it was actually originally a mod in the AC chat thread, he got all the 2 first page people and swapped their avatars and some of their sigs.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Explode and f10

crucialityfactor on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Either "Spy" or "Deploy über" methinks.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited July 2008

So excited.

If you just post in the jokerize thread in the AC it'll probably get done for ya. Unless you want to do it yourself and then... just wait :D

I'd feel like a user and a moocher. I'd hope others wouldn't feel the same.

I'll probably just end up trying and giving up shortly into the process.

Icemopper on