As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotel/Transportation Costs Questions (Staying 2-3 days before and after PAX)

RadicalIsotopeRadicalIsotope Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in PAX Archive
Hi,

I've got a couple questions about Seattle transportation/hotels that I've got partially answered from other threads. Basically my issue is that I'm looking to go to Seattle Wednesday August 27 before PAX and head back home Tuesday September 3. I've been looking over the hotel costs and since I'm looking to stay longer it could be pretty pricey (don't qualify for PAX rates for the whole trip and travelling alone). So I've been looking at getting a hotel/flight package for the week. If I stay near the airport I could be looking around $800 CAD for the package. Compared to staying closer to the convention centre and paying upwards of $1700 CAD for a similar package bussing it looks more attractive (and Seattle bus fare is about half the price bus fare is where I live). I noticed it was mentioned taxi would be about $20 each way. Is that standard across all taxi cabs in Seattle? My other alternative is to maybe try a hotel in the university area but what are some good ones to try there (hopefully without breaking the bank - I've so far checked the Travel Lodge and University motel - not too pricey it seems)? What kind of difference in transportation (particularly bus) would I be looking at coming from near the airport as opposed to the university area (timewise - so far I've heard airport to convention could be 30-60 minutes bus)? This would be my first time travelling alone and first vacation to Seattle (I made it to PAX in 2006 becuase of *extremely* favorable curcumstances but was only there for the weekend).

I think that's about everything. Sorry if that seems a bit much but I wanted to try and be as descriptive as possible. I also realize that trying this at the beginning of July is way late considering the size of the event but was trying to justify the costs. News about Ecto-1 being at PAX has kind of pushed me over the edge though.

RadicalIsotope on

• Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I took the bus back and forth last year. The downside was the last bus was before PAX ended. You might want to check out the Green Tortoise. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=55410

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    SigmaConditionSigmaCondition Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey man,
    The green tortoise is probably going to be your cheapest bet no doubt, but you can also get out pretty damn cheap if you book via a service like Priceline.
    I got 5 nights at the Red Lion for $75 a night instead of the PAX price of $150. Only downside for this one is that I didn't read the location correctly and chose the one that was in Bellevue instead of Seattle. The good news is that the cab fare from my hotel to the convention center is only about $16 each way. I noticed that you were quoting prices in CAD, since the Canadian dollar is beating the US dollar there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this whole trip (at least the time you spend in Seattle) for well under $600 US. I am planning on getting into the area a day ahead of time, and staying thru Tuesday. If you want any additional help with specifics, hit me up via PM or shoot me an email and I will be happy to assist.

Hurst.Matthew@gmail.com

SigmaCondition on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    I believe the Green Tortoise is full.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    RadicalIsotopeRadicalIsotope Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the replys. I was keeping an eye on the Green Tortoise thread as a possibility but looks like I missed the boat. I started checking with Priceline (was also looking with Hotwire but they don't have the name your price deal) and they look pretty good. Tried contacting their service to ask a couple questions but didn't get a straight answer. Does anyone happen to know if once they accept an offer the rate per night they quote you is consistent through your reservation (as opossed to one rate during the week and another for weekend)? Trying to figure out a rough range to go with there since they need a specific price but not sure how much the actual price might differ by. Wouldn't mind a deal like what you ended up with Sigma as the money I could save there would easily cover other transportation methods (no guarantees on that kind of deal with these things though I assume).

RadicalIsotope on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone happen to know if once they accept an offer the rate per night they quote you is consistent through your reservation (as opposed to one rate during the week and another for weekend)?

To my knowledge, yes. I did that for Eddie Izzard ( in two weeks! ^_^) for a Four-Star in the Downtown SF area for $100 a night for two nights (Friday night/Saturday night) and it was a total of $237.

So, I believe once you set an offer, it's the set-offer for all the nights.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
This discussion has been closed.