As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Keepin it all in one thread (myk's art dump)

MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Artist's Corner
Just gonna stick to one thread and post my finished work for crits and what not. Thanks in advance for all input.

Baraquel_Character_Art_by_AdventDawn.jpg
Experimental piece, influenced by Feerik's 'kill'
Bring_It_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Another experimental one, this time testing out painter's oils and pallete knives
ASwrdsman_Red_theme_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Learah_by_AdventDawn.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
Mykonos on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Too many brushes, man. Much like photoshop filters, there's a time and a place for custom brushes, but you rarely if ever leave them so they're so easily spotted. Android loves putting in tons of that stuff, and he can collage it to make it look awesome, but he's a very rare talent. I think some of these guys do a good job of keep it subtle.

I like that you're putting some expression on her face, but her eye sockets are uneven, making her left eye appear a lot flatter than the right, and her nose is too small.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the crit. Ya half the reason why I moved away from photoshop was to get away from those brushes. Then Android shows me what I can do with the chalk pattern and glowstick, and I'm like F#$K!

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oi, you might want to stay away from those brushes altogether. Nothing's wrong with them, but they're drawing my eyes away from what's supposed to be the center of attention. It's like the imperfections of the face are clashing with the perfect rune/symbol/whatever brush strokes.

EDIT: Oh hey brush edit. Neat.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    bump for update

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I think you need to budget your time better. I tend to enjoy your lighting and colors but all of your pieces feel like the thumb nail of a painting. Like the first one, It'd be so much more finished if you just took the time to render the hair and clean up the edges on his jacket and hand (his finger looks kinda broken, btw). And the same with the second one, if her teeth and eye lashes and such were cleaned up, if her hair actually looked like hair and not photoshop brush strokes, that'd really be top notch.

Its like you have Lalilulelo syndrome.

Iruka on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    if you slowed down a lot more, tried actually painting some of those jazzamatazzy effects rather than just slapping custom brushes all over the place some of these could be lovely. I enjoy the expressionate nature of your paintings and you don't have to lose this if you slow down any, I mean look at who you site as your own influences.

I would like to see you do a piece from conception to completion without using a single brush other than the normal hard round brush, literaly don't touch any tool other than that and the eraser.

go go go

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    misosoup wrote: »
    if you slowed down a lot more, tried actually painting some of those jazzamatazzy effects rather than just slapping custom brushes all over the place some of these could be lovely. I enjoy the expressionate nature of your paintings and you don't have to lose this if you slow down any, I mean look at who you site as your own influences.

I would like to see you do a piece from conception to completion without using a single brush other than the normal hard round brush, literaly don't touch any tool other than that and the eraser.

go go go

Or use traditional media!

Brolo on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yeah, preferably that.

get a nice homely HB

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    To be honest, I really like the custom brushes on the first one. It gets it's message across perfectly. If it were more finished or tidied up with hard edged rounds I think it would lessen the image.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    update

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The form is getting lost with all those spontaneous brushstrokes...They need to help define the shapes of the figure rather than distract and confuse.

I think you've done a better job of this in the portrait of the guy with a gun. Your strokes are less random and more structured.

You're doin your own thing and that's cool, many amazing artists are completely self taught. I do think that you should cut down on the custom brushes. They're cool when you wanna do an abstract painting, but when you're doing figures, all those different brushes just turn into a big mess.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think you need to get a better control of colour also. All your stuff tends to wind up very grey and .. mushy? Like there's always a fog obscuring the detail. Desaturated is good, but there's a lack of contrast in your work. The 'experimental' piece works because there's a higher contrast and over all it feels much sharper than your usual murky soup.

I'm pretty crap at the human figure but to me it sometimes look like you're hiding structural flaws with crazy crap.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think you need to get a better control of colour also. All your stuff tends to wind up very grey and .. mushy? Like there's always a fog obscuring the detail. Desaturated is good, but there's a lack of contrast in your work. The 'experimental' piece works because there's a higher contrast and over all it feels much sharper than your usual murky soup.

To put it short, the colors are very Gears of War.
    I'd like to see you use other colors with very minimal brown and black/greys.
    Draw some kittens and unicorns eating candy lol jk But seriously I'd like to see what that looks like with your style.

I agree with Dee, your brushes tend to be very random at times and obscure your forms.

The way you do hair is super cool, me like.

XAL on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well it's also a problem with ill defined light sources... Light just seems to pour out of random areas and illuminate this fog so everything gets splashed with this indifferent overcast pall. I'd like to see what you can do with a well defined single-light source (the lamp on the table, the moon, the glow from the street, whatever) and with some very very tame brushes. No more fog!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    yeah I definitely feel you guys on the foggy/soupiness. Right on I'm working adamantly on preventing that from happening so I'll post something asap to see if I can follow through. Thanks for the input guys

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]