As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diet soft drinks (gi)

LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Basic question, what's the gi of diet soft drinks. I'm guessing low as they use an artificial sweetner as opposed to sugar, but can't find accurate details anywhere by googling, just a few suggestions that this is true.

Leitner on

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    gi? wat

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Glycemic Index.

I don't think they have one, as such. Looking at the nutritional info for diet coke, it doesn't seem to contain a meaningful quantity of carbohydrate.

EDIT: Possibly some useful info here

japan on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A diet drink is basically going to contain nothing useful for your body (except water). That's the point. Your body can taste aspartame as sweet, but cannot use it as it would a sugar.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    most diet drinks won't have a GI, since they have zero calories. They should produce absolutely no insulin response.

Serpent on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Serpent wrote: »
    most diet drinks won't have a GI, since they have zero calories. They should produce absolutely no insulin response.

I was listening to an interview on the radio the other day and they were saying that they had done some study that basically showed that the artificial sweeteners actually fool your body into thinking you've ingested sugar. This makes the body release insulin even though it's not needed.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    isaac17isaac17 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Weretaco wrote: »

I was listening to an interview on the radio the other day and they were saying that they had done some study that basically showed that the artificial sweeteners actually fool your body into thinking you've ingested sugar. This makes the body release insulin even though it's not needed.

Woah. Woah. That's messed up, and good to know. Now i have to see if that's true...

isaac17 on
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    isaac17 wrote: »
    Weretaco wrote: »

Woah. Woah. That's messed up, and good to know. Now i have to see if that's true...

It is not. It was a scare that came out but if that was true there would be millions of dead diabetics

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    BetelguesePDXBetelguesePDX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17397982?ordinalpos=39&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

While I could not find any studies that directly measured insulin levels after intake of artificial sweeteners, the above study found that in the long term use of artificial sweeteners in diabetics caused an 'adequate, prolonged reduction in weight'.

Since Insulin causes weight gain, one can infer from the above that artificial sweeteners do not raise Insulin levels.

Yes, very shaky science up there but I could find nothing more concrete.

BetelguesePDX on
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17397982?ordinalpos=39&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

While I could not find any studies that directly measured insulin levels after intake of artificial sweeteners, the above study found that in the long term use of artificial sweeteners in diabetics caused an 'adequate, prolonged reduction in weight'.

Since Insulin causes weight gain, one can infer from the above that artificial sweeteners do not raise Insulin levels.

Yes, very shaky science up there but I could find nothing more concrete.

Weight loss is probably being more contributed to calorie free drinks that have caffeine. Caffeine is a very good thermogenic

Durandal Infinity on