As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

UK Bargains Thread III: For Fuck's Sake Lewie Use The Right Thread

• RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jammers wrote: »
    Rook wrote: »
    I wouldn't play the club if someone paid me £8. Especially the PC version.

I briefly played the PS3 version at my mates house, and it seemed worth at least £8. Does the PC version have bugs or something?

Mouse Acceleration. Although that might just be the demo, but basically it's impossible to aim.

Rook on
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yay, new Xbox offers. Boo, now I have a dilemma!

mattclem on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jammers wrote: »
    I wouldn't play the club if someone paid me £8. Especially the PC version.

I briefly played the PS3 version at my mates house, and it seemed worth at least £8. Does the PC version have bugs or something?

Mouse Acceleration. Although that might just be the demo, but basically it's impossible to aim.

The Club isn't a shooter. It's a racer.

Trust me on this.

The_Scarab on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jailed again Lewie? Something about Ballet lessons? :lol:

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Don't you mean Lewii?

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Don't you mean Lewii?

That's thin ice you're frolicking on, Shirley. Puns of those sorts don't go down well around here :(

Centipeed on
    edited July 2008
    Oops! I thought it was just Lewie who wasn't allowed Wii puns, I'll stop right now, I'd never live it down if I were infracted or jailed!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In order to make myself feel better, anybody know of anything deal shaped with regards to Fire Emblem on the Wii? So far I see it for £24.99 and while I'm sure that price will tempt me, I'd like to see if there is a cheaper alternative before my weekend shop.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oops! I thought it was just Lewie who wasn't allowed Wii puns, I'll stop right now, I'd never live it down if I were infracted or jailed!

Man, Tube would be furious.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

Man, Tube would be furious.

Nooooo, not against LewiePs Mummy!

O god I just noticed that said Mummy, as in egyptian dead things that become alive!! It's a mummy from LewieP, and LewieP is a zombie!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    What????

LewieP's Mummy on

• Great Uncle BaalGreat Uncle Baal Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    I picked up Space Invaders Extreme for the DS today for £8! It's on buy one get one free at Gamestation, as mentioned - I couldn't find anything else for £20 i wanted so I just picked up two copies - the guy at the cash desk suggested I trade my spare in straight away for £12 - sold!

Also, if you like Roguelikes, GAME are selling Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer for £4.99 - worth a look.

Great Uncle Baal on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What????

He's American, you have to forgive their narrow grasp on the english language, they don't have mummys over there, just moms.

The_Scarab on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    What????

He's American, you have to forgive their narrow grasp on the english language, they don't have mummys over there, just moms.

I am hurt
    I'm not American!

No, that was just my attempt at making a mummy joke, which failed as I was laughing at my computer screen too much.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Also, if you like Roguelikes, GAME are selling Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer for £4.99 - worth a look.

This is totally worth picking up. I bought it for £20 a few months ago as I didn't think I'd ever see in the shops and I lost many many many many hours playing it.

It's a great, simple Rougelike lite and well worth £4.99

Duchess Prozac on
    edited July 2008
    I picked up Space Invaders Extreme for the DS today for £8! It's on buy one get one free at Gamestation, as mentioned - I couldn't find anything else for £20 i wanted so I just picked up two copies - the guy at the cash desk suggested I trade my spare in straight away for £12 - sold!

Couldn't you have traded in both copies for £24 and walked out with +£4

Rook on
  • Great Uncle BaalGreat Uncle Baal Registered User new member
    edited July 2008

/smile disappears from face...

Oh, bugger.

Great Uncle Baal on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I haf fvee matches...

Zilla360 on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I was on the fence on this one but at that price how can I not give it a whirl?! Ta, muchly.

Tengoku II ordered as well. That the first game fit on one GBA cart was definitely a masterpiece in joy compression technologies.

P-P-P-Punch!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

/smile disappears from face...

Oh, bugger.

So the real question is what point do they stop you doing this?

area on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    25% off everything at Play-Asia Sale!

Highlights in the post

Also, you should have asked if you could buy Space Invaders Extreme for cheaper used.

LewieP on
    edited July 2008
    Also, PC World suck! We were there for almost an hour today, while we waited for them to price match with Play.com and Argos - they tried to tell us they didn't price match with them at first. Grrrrrrrrrr.

And, check out this link about the UK pre-PAX meet-up at Omega Sektor, Birmingham.

LewieP's Mummy on

edited July 2008
    I'd love to go, (and I never thought I'd say this) but Birmingham is too far south!

Rook on
    edited July 2008
    Where are you, Rook?

LewieP's Mummy on

edited July 2008
    I'd love to go, (and I never thought I'd say this) but Birmingham is to far south!
    Me too. :(

Zilla360 on
    edited July 2008
    Ditto, Zilla360?

LewieP's Mummy on

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Birmingham's not terribly easy for me, either.

Newcastle, before you ask.

Xagarath on
    edited July 2008
    Manchester the night before, Brum on the Saturday morning, back to Manchester Saturday evening, home next day?

LewieP's Mummy on

edited July 2008
    Where are you, Rook?

Edinburgh.

Though I come from the Isle of Wight so, London was about as far north as I would venture/live.

Rook on
  • JammersJammers Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, PC World suck! We were there for almost an hour today, while we waited for them to price match with Play.com and Argos - they tried to tell us they didn't price match with them at first. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Wow, I thought I'd had it bad. Luckily it only took them about 20 mins with me. 10 to get the games for me, and another 10 to "check with the manager" (which would have been fair enough, were it not for the fact that there was a massive poster for the price matching thing right next to the till).
    Mind you, one of the discs they gave me was scratched, so I have to go through the whole process again tomorrow to get it replaced.

Jammers on
    Xbox Live - Jammers007
    Nintendo Network ID - Jammers007
    3DS - 1418-6751-8378
    Steam - Jammers007
    edited July 2008
    Zilla360 on
    edited July 2008
    Mmm, we had to go back cos the keyboard box had been opened and resealed. I was not a happy bunny, but we did get the keyboard and game for less than the price of either one of them.

LewieP's Mummy on

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

And, check out this link about the UK pre-PAX meet-up at Omega Sektor, Birmingham.

Man, that's a shame. I had very little trouble picking up my copy of Mass Effect yesterday.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited July 2008
    That's what I was getting, Mass Effect and a new keyboard, because I spilled milk all over my old one.

The keyboard took ages because I had to show them how to search on play.com, and Mass Effect because they couldn't understand that saying "not in stock for home delivery" but "Available for in store collection" meant it was in stock in store. Despite the web site telling them it was in stock, they had to phone up as well. It also took 3 tiers of management hierarchy.

For a policy so well publicised in store, they haven't set it up very well.

Edit: Yay! unjailed

LewieP on
    edited July 2008
    But not for long ... mwahahaha

LewieP's Mummy on

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Incoming jail in 5

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hmmm. Argos are being confusing, possibly to our benefit. I guess this counts as a mispricing.

There is an offer covered on their website in which you can purchase...

'5 Game Best Sellers Pack'

...with any Xbox 360...

Such as this one

I think it's intended to drop the price of the pack to 0 in this situation. However, for some reason, when you go to checkout it doesn't, it's still charging ~=£60 for it. However, if you increase the quantity for the pack to *2*, suddenly the pair of packs works out free. I've tried increasing it to 3 requested, you don't start getting money back! You should end up with a bonus pack of 5 games to trade in or eBay or whatever.

This would be ideal for me, but the only trouble is that I want HDMI; I've no idea if it's guaranteed, and Argos are a bit awkward with being able to see such things in advance. Anyone got any opinions about that? Another place is offering Pro + 3 games (PGR4, Forza, Viva Pinata) + wireless pad for £220, which I'd probably go for instead, since they explicitly mention HDMI.

Edited to add: Or hang on, I could just get an Elite. I could have sworn they didn't have stock last night when I was looking at this. It might be pricier but I at least guarantee HDMI and will have a decent-quality cable to work with to boot. Hrm.

Edit2: But the 5 games best sellers thing isn't listed on the Elite page, while it's listed (with the Elite) on the Pro page. Still seems to work, though.

mattclem on
    edited July 2008
    Be warned, just because Argos's web site lists one price, and then charges you a certain price, Argos policy is that regardless of what the sales of goods act says, they will not give you what they are legally obliged to if it was an error on their behalf.

I don't know if you saw these offers:
    Xbox 360 Elite + GTA IV and Call of Duty 4: GOTY Edition - £289.99 delivered
    Xbox 360 Premium + GTA IV and Call of Duty 4: GOTY Edition - £229.99 delivered
    Xbox 360 Arcade + GTA IV and Call of Duty 4: GOTY Edition - £189.99 delivered

LewieP on
    edited July 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Be warned, just because Argos's web site lists one price, and then charges you a certain price, Argos policy is that regardless of what the sales of goods act says, they will not give you what they are legally obliged to if it was an error on their behalf.

They aren't legally obliged to do it.

out-law.com Argos once priced televisions for £2.99 instead of £299. It refused to fulfil the orders, but its terms and conditions arguably supported this refusal.

and contract law about the kodak error
    http://www.venables.co.uk/n0203mistakes.htm

Rook on
    edited July 2008
    When they have charged you, and given you a receipt, they are.

LewieP on