As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Football (Soccer) Thread: I hollerd lordy lordy have mercy on me!

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Me and BuddyLee just had some super fun games on Fifa 09. The highlight might have been our Stoke (me) Hull City (buddy) game where in an effort to clear the ball, Buddy took a shot at his own goal hitting the post. Classy :)

Need maor for Fifa!

If I had a console and a footie game I'd totally play you guys. I might pick up FIFA for the PC if there's cross platform support, because (1) playing with forumers would be fun and (2) across five different versions of PES, I've never been able to get the online mode working.

Tav on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Me and BuddyLee just had some super fun games on Fifa 09. The highlight might have been our Stoke (me) Hull City (buddy) game where in an effort to clear the ball, Buddy took a shot at his own goal hitting the post. Classy :)

Need maor for Fifa!

If I had a console and a footie game I'd totally play you guys. I might pick up FIFA for the PC if there's cross platform support, because (1) playing with forumers would be fun and (2) across five different versions of PES, I've never been able to get the online mode working.

Do NOT get FIFA for the PC without reading up on it first. I have never played it, but I have heard nothing but bad things about it.

But yeah, ProjectMayhem, that was fantastic. I thought you (U.S. International Team) beating me (England National Team) was kind of embarrassing.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was going through my Deportivo La Coruña game on FM 09 and I saw the newsbite that AC Milan had bought Dean Ashton for 32million. I read through some other interesting transfers like Landon Donovan to Arsenal for something like 25mil and Agbonlahor moving to Inter for 30mil.

I can't go back to FIFA after the early 2000 shite games they pushed out.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You guys having FIFA makes me want to go out and buy an XBox and FIFA. I will have to make do with my DS version, however...

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    All the reviews I've seen for them (PC Gamer and PC Zone have never steered me wrong) put them in the high 70's/low 80's with PES usually pushing between 85-90. I'd be willing to settle for a lesser game with functioning multiplayer though, because playing against computers gets boring after 13 years of football games (My first one being the abortion that was Microsoft Football waaay back when).

Tav on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This Hull v Villa match is great! Hull are really putting pressure on Villa, and they have barely been out of the Villa end in the second half.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That was unlucky for Hull... poor Zayette.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    God DAMN that was like watching paint dry.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    stevie g's trial is on the 23rd of jan

he could go away for five years

since he's a big name though he'll probably only get community service or some shit

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yotes! Did you see the rumour on the BBC site? Senderos is coming back baby! We get rid of Gallas for £6mil, and get Pouty McPountyface back from his loan.

Seriously though, Arsenal turned down a transfer request from Toure this morning. Apparently he does not get on well/had a bust up with Gallas and is rightfully upset about his lack of starts. He's not been at his best this season, but if Arsenal let him go instead of Gallas I will be really pissed.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's gotten to the point where I'm not having much difficulty talking myself into Senderos returning. Hey, he's big, he's strong, maybe the fish-rich mediterranean diet in Italy helped get his brain back on track! Maybe he'll have discovered fashionable manly lip gloss as well.

Jay Simpson (er, who?) and Gavin (brother of Justin) Hoyte are going out on loan, Barazite extending his stay at Derby. I feel better now, wasn't really happy when I saw something about a "young Arsenal trio on loan" without any clarification on the BBC's crawl. I immediately thought of more important names and thought Arsene had lost his fucking mind.

Less Gallas and more Toure won't make me cry, that's for sure.

How do you feel about Arshavin for $25-30mil? I can't decide if he's really that good or really still that overrated.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    He's overrated. I like the rumour of bringing in Arteta as cover for Fabregas, and he wouldn't need any time to settle in s Arshavin would. What you think about getting Hangeland in?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hangeland would make me very happy indeed but I'm afraid City might outbid Arsenal for him, they really need to buy some defense. Just kidding, Abu Dhabi duders probably won't want to spend any money on some big white guy they never heard of, they'd rather spend $texas on a keeper to stop them letting goals in, haha.

I'm a big fan of Arteta, just a little bit concerned how they'd get everybody enough touches when Walcott and Fabregas get back. Is he cup tied? I can't remember the rules, he played for Everton in the UEFA Cup, would he be eligible in the CL for Arsenal?

There's no way Moyes would let him go, is there?

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Everton will sell if they get the right offer, they just don't have the money to turn it down. I think Arteta would get games even with Fabs and Walcott back, he's good enough to get into the team so I think he would be worthwhile investment.

I like the idea of getting Hangeland in, sending Gallas to AC Milan, and getting Senderos back. I'm not Senderos's biggest fan, but he would be workable cover and wouldn't cause dressing room problems like Gallas. We also need a bloody DM, and would love to see Yaya Toure or Veloso come in...

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hell, bring in Yaya just to make Kolo happy, I don't care. Alonso wouldn't be a bad buy if he still wants out.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm not fussy about Alonso to be honest, I just don't think he is consistent enough. When on form he is awesome, but otherwise he wouldn't make the squad.

Yeah, bring in Yaya and the two Toure's would be happy. They should also stop making Almunia captain when Fabregas is out, and give the armband to Kolo.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    FM08 is frustrating me. My defense keeps on leaking goals and my offense is... inconstant. In seven games with Hull in the Championship, I've had three 1-1 draws, won one game 3-0, won one game 4-1 and lost the others 4-1.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What instructions do your centerbacks have? Default tactics for the backline tend to leave huge gaps during set pieces.

I have like 3 main tactics I rely on and the most reliable one is a variation of this guy's 4-1-4-1 tactics that I've chopped up to make the best of the players I have on my squad.

EDIT: Also, FM 09 has the Steam holiday discount as well. So it's now priced at $26.99.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just played projectmayhem in a few matches of FIFA 09... in one of them I played as Chelsea and put Petr Cech as my striker, Drogba as my 'keeper, the rest of the goalkeepers in my roster as field players, and the strikers as defenders. It was like watching Benny Hill.

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    What instructions do your centerbacks have? Default tactics for the backline tend to leave huge gaps during set pieces.

I have like 3 main tactics I rely on and the most reliable one is a variation of this guy's 4-1-4-1 tactics that I've chopped up to make the best of the players I have on my squad.

EDIT: Also, FM 09 has the Steam holiday discount as well. So it's now priced at $26.99.

Pretty much just defend deep and mark tight.

And Steam can go fuck off because they're treating $1 as €1, which isn't the exchange rate. It actually works out more expensive to buy the game during the Steam sale then it does to buy the game in regular retail.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh yeah, that is bullshit with Steam.

How are your Opp Instructions set? When I get to Opposition Instruction, I usually do this:

Strikers (and DM if they have only one)- Tight marking, hard tackling, show onto weak foot
    Midfielders (any non wingers that aren't already marked) - Hard tackling, show onto weak foot
    Wingers (any player on the wings except the full backs, unless you're having issues with those, then mark them too) - Always close down, show onto weak foot

That usually gets me by most situations. Of course once you're up against certain teams/players, you'll want to shift things around.

Arikado on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Buddy Lee wrote: »
    I just played projectmayhem in a few matches of FIFA 09... in one of them I played as Chelsea and put Petr Cech as my striker, Drogba as my 'keeper, the rest of the goalkeepers in my roster as field players, and the strikers as defenders. It was like watching Benny Hill.

It was pretty amazing. Drogba is a goalkeeping beast I have decided. Seriously, when did EA decide to start making their games good? I cant put it down.

Also, I haven't had a chance to check, any good premiership games on this weekend? I am off this Saturday and need some football.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No Prem this weekend, as it is FA Cup matches instead.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Arikado, question for you...

Are injuries crazy frequent in the full version of FM09? Cause I am playing the demo and am picking up injuries almost every match. It's really annoying!

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »

Are injuries crazy frequent in the full version of FM09? Cause I am playing the demo and am picking up injuries almost every match. It's really annoying!

Are you managing Arsenal? If so, the game is probably just being realistic.
    :( Poor Arsenal.

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    edited January 2009

It depends. I think I get one injured senior player about once every two months in my La Coruña save. I don't start players that are under 90% condition unless its a friendly. I also cycle out my wingers since I have them going full steam each match, I can barely get them through 3 consecutive matches without them dropping their condition so low. But yeah I have had a few shite matches where I blow all three subs just to stretcher off the field player for whatever reason.

I do pick up a decent amount of injuries via training and part of that is how fit your players are and the other part is just pure randomness. Kind of like my Millwall save where I had to start a 2nd string reserve keeper because the other 3 were out for international duty or injured. Actually, this happens a lot whenever I revamp a new team with my new crop of coaches. Several lower league teams don't have a fitness coach and as soon as I bring in one (or two), the injuries start coming in. It gets better though, no pain no gain.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Are you managing Arsenal? If so, the game is probably just being realistic.
    :( Poor Arsenal.

Well, RVP gets injured every other match, so you could say it's very realistic. Seriously though, not including Eduardo and Rosicky, I am running around 5 injuries at a time... craziness! Better than Spurs though, as when I played them they had 14 out. :)

Anyway, looks like Man City is making the first big move of the transfer window. No surprise that it is Wayne Bridge and it looks like the are paying in the region of £12 million for him. That man has needed out of Chelsea for two seasons now, and I'm shocked that it has taken him this long to get out.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The worst I had was 18 players out (4 of them got the flu because I didn't send one guy home) for a couple of matches. I had to field about seven U-19 players.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This is kind of random insight, sorry...

The more I watch this season, the more I realize that I don't really have one favorite team. Liverpool is my favorite club, mainly because they're one of the first teams that I started supporting that actually went somewhere when I first started following football. But I'm absolutely loving Aston Villa and Hull City this season. I really hope that Tottenham and Manchester City continue to do well, and I feel nothing but sorrow for Arsenal this season.

Am I a bandwagoner? Maybe a little bit, yes... but I guess I would call it more of an "underdog" bandwagoner. I never really cheer for Chelsea because they buy all of their talent, and I never really cheer for Manchester United because frankly, ManU has enough supporters as it is. It seems like nobody around here really cheers for Liverpool, and until this season, Arsenal played absolutely beautiful football that I just couldn't resist supporting. I think I'm more about wanting each team to play to its full potential, and loving it when they do. In addition to my favorite teams, I really just love the underdog, whoever it may be at that time.

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    There is nothing wrong with being a liberated fan, Buddy. It's not bandwagoning. I'm Arsenal first, Bellamy second, City is probably my second-favorite team because they're so very goofy and the taint of Thaksin is beginning to wear off. As long as Spurs stay comically shitty yet entertaining, I can tolerate them as well.

The only team I can honestly say I want to see fail is Chelsea.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The only teams I want to see fail are Barcelona and Real Madrid.

I didn't really start watching the EPL until right before Man U won the treble. However, I'm in no rush to pick a team. Villa are making a good push on that, though.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm still a bit of a United fan, residual goodwill from back when Solskjaer beat Bayern Munich.

Man, fuck Bayern, fuck them so hard.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I actually like watching Real Madrid, since I like the Netherlands national team, Sergio Ramos, and Iker Casillas, but I really don't like Real Madrid's "buy all of the good people" policy. In fact, I hate the team itself... I just like a lot of their players. Watching Real Madrid is like being in a tornado of emotions for me. Ultimately, I only want to see them win if Sneijder, van Nistelrooy, or Robben score a goal, and if Iker Casillas makes amazing saves.

Barcelona is kind of the same way for me, but to a lesser extent.

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    I just like watching excellent football. I'm an Arsenal fan first, but I will easily cheer for other teams given the right circumstances, except Liverpool and Spurs whom I hate with a passion (I can readily admit that Spurs play some exciting football though).

This season, and despite the implications it may have for my team, I am really enjoying seeing Villa do well. Hull is also very entertaining, and they work so bloody hard to get results.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just want to see every team but Arsenal lose horribly. Instead I am watching all my favorite players fight off the plague every week along with breaking 50 or so bones.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ari, I tried that tactic and lost two games in a row 2-0. All my players were up in the 7/8's, but we still got decimated. I won a game against Maccelsfield(I think, and I think that's how it's spelled), but they'd lost 8 in a row and were bottom of the league, so that hardly counts :P

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    hey projectmayhem...
    Corner kick... header... OFF THE POST... GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAL, OH MYYYYYYY!
    gg.

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    hey projectmayhem...
    Corner kick... header... OFF THE POST... GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAL, OH MYYYYYYY!
    gg.

Hahah. I was sitting in my chair basically in shock over that. I just played someone else who was liverpool and Torres gave me a nice bicycle kick straight to the back of the goal. It lost me the game but damn if it didn't look pretty.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hmm, Ari, never mind that. I reloaded, changed a few players around and tried again. The highlighted match is when I started using the tactic.
    untitled-4.jpg

Sheff Utd are now on an 8 game winning streak, and I'm a 7 game one :P

Tav on