As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Did I just get scammed?

tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, this number has been calling my cell phone for the past couple of weeks, but never left a message. I have been having voice mail trouble lately, so I thought that was the reason. This morning the same number calls and I pick it up. It is an automated message concerning my vehicle warrenty expiring. The thing is that I just got a new car, so I thought it was legit.

The automated message tells me to press 1 to speak to an operator. Some girl comes on saying my extended warrenty is gonna expire if I don't activate it. I tell her the make, year, and milage of my car. I then ask her if this was some extra stuff offered by the dealership. She then proceeds to transfer to some other lady. The new lady says she is has gone over my records and basically tells me the same thing I just told the first girl. I give her my name and address and then she transfers me to some guy. He comes on and I keep pressing for details for this warrenty and possible extra costs. He puts me on hold and after about 3 minutes of hold music it just stops. No one picks up or anything.

I google the number and come to find out this is some telemarketers people and possible scammers. How much potential shit am I in since I gave them my name and address? I did not give them my social or any financial info, but who knows what they can do with the stuff I did give them.

tallgeeze on

• Options
    starlanceriistarlancerii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If it is just a name and address, you really can't do much with that - you might as well go find a phone book and pick a random entry.

You really can't do much with knowing what car you drive, either.

Are you sure you didn't give any other information?

starlancerii on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If they just have your address, and now can tie that to your phone number, probably can't do too much except sign you up for tons of junk mail. I get car warrantiy things in the mail all the time - into the shredder they go.

You may have learned this now, but never, ever, give out information to people who call you. You did good asking if it was tied to the dealership, but you should have hung up as soon as you got that scammy feeling.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, you should be fine since you didn't give them anything other than name/address, but yeah sounds like it was pretty clearly a scam.

In general though, I don't give out information to people on the phone unless I can verify that they are actually who they say they are, especially not if they're calling constantly and it's an automated message. Instead, get the information from them (company/phone number/etc) and look it up and call them back if they are actually legitimate.

Daenris on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There are lots of companies that find out when you bought your car and offer you a third-party warantee when yours is about to expire. Not a scam, just not a good deal. They may try and trick you into thinking that they are affiliated with the manufacturer, but they aren't.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you didn't give them anything else but the name and address, then it's rather unlikely that anything too bad is going to happen.

In the future, if you start receiving calls from a number you don't recognize, Google it first before you call them back - chances are the number will come up someplace like whocalled.us, unless it's a regular person that just dialed a wrong number or something.

That aside, the whole warranty thing is definately shady - I recently got a letter in the mail from some "Dealer Services" place in St. Louis, trying as much as possible to look like official mail from Hyundai and telling us that our 2007 car's 10-year warranty was due to expire soon :):P

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I get those calls at work all the time, they are such crap. If they don't know what kind of car you drive, they clearly have no idea about its warranty. Hate those fuckers.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Most definately not legit. These guys make it a point to call me about once a month, and I didn't even have a car at the time!

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've been getting calls about my car warranty about to expire this past few months too. It's a scam. Ask them if they know who you are, the make and year of your car, and it's mileage. If they can't produce it, chances are they're a scammer of some sort. Report them to your attorney general. That's usually their job to handle stuff like this for the local area (last I heard).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How the hell do you get a job working at places like this? Seriously, who takes a job to make scam phone calls?

urahonky on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    How the hell do you get a job working at places like this? Seriously, who takes a job to make scam phone calls?

I'm guessing this is a supplemental warranty extension and they're using particularly sleazy practices to get you to sign up for it;

Owner: "Okay Barbara, this is your practice run. I want you to call James and tell him his car warranty is about to expire."

Barb: "How do we know that?"

Owner: "We don't, we're just going to assume he's got a car and he's paranoid about not having it under warranty. This way we can rake in money without doing anything!"

Barb: "Isn't that illegal?"

Owner: "Who's to know, we're offering a warranty extension that's not even part of the vehicle warranty that covers roadside assistance that they'll never use because they have to call us directly to use it!"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    thx for the advice, guys. when I googled the number it came up under some random person in Indiana. I am pretty hopeful nothing other than junk mail/calls will come of this situation.

Funny thing is that they called me again during my lunch hour.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There was a scam going around recently in the UK when they'd call from a UK number, and when they said 'press 1 to speak to an operator' what you were actually doing was switching the line to a premium-rate one. They'd then just keep you on the line as long as they could.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    There was a scam going around recently in the UK when they'd call from a UK number, and when they said 'press 1 to speak to an operator' what you were actually doing was switching the line to a premium-rate one. They'd then just keep you on the line as long as they could.

Wow, holy shit that's cold.

urahonky on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I get lots of calls that cut off the first part of the message as if they were legit so something like this...

"-calling about your account. There's no problem, but please call us soon about lowering your interest blah-blah"

You get the idea. But my machine gets messages fine from everyone else and this thing calls me once a week.

If it's an automated machine don't trust it. If it was something important about your car or credit cards or whatever, they would have a person call.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The warranty calling is fairly new scam. I've only gotten a few calls so far, but it is annoying. Saw something about it in the local news.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you do get junkmail regarding this, a most therapeutic approach would be to use one of the postage paid envelopes and send it right back to them.

Meiz on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I kept getting these calls too, but I figured it was most likely a scam.
    Looks like I was probably right.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Meiz wrote: »
    If you do get junkmail regarding this, a most therapeutic approach would be to use one of the postage paid envelopes and send it right back to them.

I've seen people send back more than the envelope!

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/bulkmailer/

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    next time they call, wait until you get a person, and then calmly tell them they dialed a cell phone number, and if they call again, you will file a report to the fcc. this will usually get them off the line immediately and stop future calls from that company.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/truthaboutcellphones.html
    above and beyond the do-not-call registry, they cannot call your cell with an automated service (unsolicited).

and yes, i got a bunch of calls from that scammy scammy company until i talked to someone.

flatlinegraphics on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    next time they call, wait until you get a person, and then calmly tell them they dialed a cell phone number, and if they call again, you will file a report to the fcc. this will usually get them off the line immediately and stop future calls from that company.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/truthaboutcellphones.html
    above and beyond the do-not-call registry, they cannot call your cell with an automated service (unsolicited).

and yes, i got a bunch of calls from that scammy scammy company until i talked to someone.

This I did not know. I've been getting these to my cell.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Haha, I just happen to get one of these calls today.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I get these all the damn time to my cell. If it's not even legal to make them, that's good to know.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I bought a new car ~3 months ago, and I started getting these calls last month. Yeah, thanks fuckers, I think my warranty is just fine for now.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've been getting voice mails with something about my car warranty lately

Pojaco on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pojaco wrote: »
    I've been getting voice mails with something about my car warranty lately

On occasions where I actually answer TM calls, I always try to make them feel as bad as possible. So for car warranties, I suggest telling them you sold the car aafter your infant son died in it - after your husband/wife/other left him in the driveway all day in the sun.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh hey, I completely forogt about this but it should have been posted way earlier.

http://www.donotcall.gov for the US
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk for the UK

If you put yourself on this list and then a company calls you unsolicited, they get a hefty fine. It's also great for getting them never to call you again. As soon as you tell them you're registered, they'll hang up as fast as possible.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is the number 240-210-7138? These guys call me about my car warranty all the time. My Nissan is 7 years old. I just hang up.

EDIT: Hah.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ceres wrote: »
    I get these all the damn time to my cell. If it's not even legal to make them, that's good to know.

Federal Do not call list, Register now kids

http://www.donotcall.gov/

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Is the number 240-210-7138? These guys call me about my car warranty all the time. My Nissan is 7 years old. I just hang up.

Nice.. maybe I'll type one up next time I get a call like this. I haven't had a car in my name in months, and my last car was 14 years old. I don't think the factory warranty on that one was still kicking.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh, sweet Jesus, we've been getting these calls at work for almost a year now. So fucking annoying.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/3602105060

Isn't it illegal to do these kinds of calls to mobile handsets?

Is there a place to report it?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As it turns out, I've been getting these for a while, and got one like an hour after reading this. Decided to press 1, but the guy decided to hang up before I told him I'd be reporting them to the FCC.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List