As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Freelancer - Discovery Mod

• Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Norgoth, you disappeared mid mission, what happened?

Don't worry, I survived and finished the job, but it was just a bit weird you disappearing without explaination.

Also to those of you at higher levels who've seen more of the mod: are there TIE Fighters?

The point of the mod, I guess, is to kind of keep the same feel of the freelancer universe, as far as NPC's go. But there's also a whole lot of stuff made for people on multiplayer server to dick around with.

Although I have'nt seen a TIE Fighter yet, I have seen Viper MK 2's.

It should be a community event to find these two craft and pit them against each other.

And then we will find the Enterprise and make it play spacebaseball.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey Jaramr, do you know where they sell the serenity?

I wanna... I wanna buy the serenity....

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Lamoid wrote: »

You can buy the serenity when you start existing.

And yes, I do know where it is. And its price.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Jaramr wrote: »

Planet Cambridge, 39mill

The mod creators have said they are trying to avoid having ships from other universes in the mod, and are working on removing them all.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Morkath wrote: »
    Jaramr wrote: »

Planet Cambridge, 39mill

The mod creators have said they are trying to avoid having ships from other universes in the mod, and are working on removing them all.

Agh. I have lost everything I have ever worked for.

Although I can see why they would do that latter, as they're designing it around a large 200 player RP server. But I doubt anyone wants to not have their TIE Fighter anymore.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I just connected for the first time.

How do you add a channel?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited July 2008
    So I just connected for the first time.

How do you add a channel?

There's a button on the very bottom of the window, second from the right, all triangular and whatnot like a good button should.

Pretty straightforward from there, just put in the server name and password.

And you just join by going through the LAN option in Freelancer.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    what?

I mean how do you add a chat channel. O_o

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Nevermind. It's not even playable. It says I have a 100ish ping but the enemy ships jump around so much 99% of the time I'm just shooting at dead space when the ship right in front of me is all the sudden way behind me or somewhere else entirely.

Bleh.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Nevermind. It's not even playable. It says I have a 100ish ping but the enemy ships jump around so much 99% of the time I'm just shooting at dead space when the ship right in front of me is all the sudden way behind me or somewhere else entirely.

Bleh.

Yeah the lag is...Yeah.

Im not sure whats going on there, actually, since sometimes it will work properly, and sometimes the server will decide that I don't deserve to play the game properly. And the amount of players online doesn't matter at all. On the discovery RP Server they somewhat solved the problem of the netcode going into a horrible seizure by upgrading their server so that it had top of the line hardware and whatnot, although that was only a minor improvement at the cost of 700$.

And chat Channels, yeah, I was thinking Hamachi network thing.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Played Freeworlds a bit, that mod is fun as hell, though it really only works on their server.

Its a good Star Wars mod.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    ClayburnClayburn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I might play this...I dont know if I want to get sucked into this game again though :P .

Clayburn on
    clayburn.png
    PS3 FriendNameThing: Caerus | Steam: clayburnp
    "He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...For when you gaze into the Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you."
    "Ónen i-Estel mellyn, ú-chebin estel anim"
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What happens to my regular freelancer install when I put discovery in - is it permanently 'discovery' until I do a full reinstall?

If so, can I still play through the original storyline in discovery?

If not, can I play in discovery's universe offline?

If the lag is terrible at times, it would be nice to still be able to play freelancer offline in some respect.
    I just don't want to install discovery if the only way to play freelancer now is on a discovery online server.

Thanks for clearing this up for me!
    I'd really like to play online discovery with you folks, but if the lag makes dogfighting impossible... then f that noise.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you use the Freelancer Mod Manager to install Discovery you can activate and deactivate it as you please. There's single-player story support too, though fighting will be harder since the NPC pilots use batteries and nanobots.

Also it's not really lag...it's hard to describe...the ships tend to jump around a bit. Controlling your own ship is fine, it's the other ships that act odd. It doesn't make dogfighting impossible, just a bit harder than it needs to be.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the clarification, i'm installed and online - everything seems good.
    Character name is same as my PA name.

A few multiplayer questions:

1. What's the player dynamic on this server?
    Is everyone basically a neutral privateer just killin' npc's and makin' bucks?
    Is anyone a declared/identified PvP pirate as of yet?
    Are there any loose organizations/fleets started?

2. If I get asploded by a PC or NPC, what happens to my cargo/loadout?

3. The universe map on the discovery website looks like it has a ton of new systems.
    However, my universe map in-game looks exactly the same as vanilla singleplayer.
    Something amiss?

4. Are commodity/trade item prices static or dynamic?

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Norgoth, you disappeared mid mission, what happened?

Don't worry, I survived and finished the job, but it was just a bit weird you disappearing without explaination.

Also to those of you at higher levels who've seen more of the mod: are there TIE Fighters?

The main hub of my network is in my parents room, and they shut it off without any warning. I was playing for like 5 mins afterward before I realized I was the only one moving.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification, i'm installed and online - everything seems good.
    Character name is same as my PA name.

A few multiplayer questions:

1. What's the player dynamic on this server?
    Is everyone basically a neutral privateer just killin' npc's and makin' bucks?
    Is anyone a declared/identified PvP pirate as of yet?
    Are there any loose organizations/fleets started?

2. If I get asploded by a PC or NPC, what happens to my cargo/loadout?

3. The universe map on the discovery website looks like it has a ton of new systems.
    However, my universe map in-game looks exactly the same as vanilla singleplayer.
    Something amiss?

4. Are commodity/trade item prices static or dynamic?

1. A lot of people tend to be pirates or traders, however there is not a whole lot of privateer's, I havent encountered any of that type.

I have tried myself to track down some Player Traders, although without several people organized into a group, its a bit difficult.

So im obviously trying to get a small Pirate Squadron going, which will be the bane of the single universe.

2. You lose all of your missile's (Not the launchers) Commodity's, and unequipped weapons.

3. You have to find these systems yourself, only the vanilla "Civilized" area's show up.

4. Static.

And guys: Get on Later than in the morning, preferably for 6 hours every night.

Trust me, waking up at 5 everyday is worth it.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ok, how do you chat serverwide instead of just systemwide?
    I've had several people pop in, try and talk to me via server-wide chat, and i can't seem to reply beyond my own system.

Is there some prefix you type in?
    Some window i'm missing here?

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    No server chat except by the host. You can only chat within your group or within your system, or you can whisper individuals at any range.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey for the people with lag... does anyone else nearby also lag at the same time? I have noticed from time to time the jumpy ships thing, though I've never seen anything that would cause it going on. CPU is never at 100%, memory is plenty free, and I've got tons of outgoing bandwidth.

Also, there aren't a lot of players on at any given time unfortunately. I've seen 10 on at once at the most one time, but usually its 2-3 people at a time. We got plenty of characters in there, just need them online! Including me I guess...

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Hey for the people with lag... does anyone else nearby also lag at the same time? I have noticed from time to time the jumpy ships thing, though I've never seen anything that would cause it going on. CPU is never at 100%, memory is plenty free, and I've got tons of outgoing bandwidth.

Also, there aren't a lot of players on at any given time unfortunately. I've seen 10 on at once at the most one time, but usually its 2-3 people at a time. We got plenty of characters in there, just need them online! Including me I guess...

I've noticed the 'jumping ships' thing several times so far, and interestingly enough it has happened when i'm the only pilot online.
    I'm playing on a system that can run Oblivion smoothly at 1920x1200 with max settings, so i'm sure it's not my hardware.
    I'm on a direct cable internet connection, no routers in between me and the net.
    I also can't believe that the server hardware is the culprit.

My only idea might be a client/server synch issue - the 'jumping' isn't exactly a lag type situation, it's almost like the NPC ships suddenly update (synch) with my client and they shift a huge distance forward.
    There isn't a lag or freeze, it's more like the ships just teleport forward a second or two.

I'll keep an eye on it, and see if I can pin down any more details.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok, how do you chat serverwide instead of just systemwide?
    I've had several people pop in, try and talk to me via server-wide chat, and i can't seem to reply beyond my own system.

Is there some prefix you type in?
    Some window i'm missing here?

Hit "Y" to bring up the chat window

Click on the player you want to talk to

Hit enter

You can either chat in-system or privately to another person.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am on the Hamachi server and tried to join a lan game in FL, but no servers showed up. Am I doing it wrong?

EDIT: I see the server in "internet" on the global server list, but am unable to connect to it.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    NativityInBlackNativityInBlack Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The last decent space SIM (non-MMO) in years.

RIP FL.

:(

Sequel? plis.

NativityInBlack on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    This mod is certainly harder than vanilla FL in terms of making cash via missions.
    The NPCs burn through quite a few nanobots/batteries, and they have access to many of the new ships that PCs do.
    I don't mind the nanobots/battery thing, or the touger ships, but the killer is when the NPCs are flying ultra-nimble light fighters.

I spent about 45 min last night on a difficulty 10 mission in brettonia space - only to shoot down one npc (out of 4 or 5).
    The ships were just too tiny, too fast, and impossible to hit.
    I tried a missile loadout, but they avoided the missiles easier than my regular fire.

I have to assume that mining or trading is MUCH easier for a starting player to make cash.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This mod is certainly harder than vanilla FL in terms of making cash via missions.
    The NPCs burn through quite a few nanobots/batteries, and they have access to many of the new ships that PCs do.
    I don't mind the nanobots/battery thing, or the touger ships, but the killer is when the NPCs are flying ultra-nimble light fighters.

I spent about 45 min last night on a difficulty 10 mission in brettonia space - only to shoot down one npc (out of 4 or 5).
    The ships were just too tiny, too fast, and impossible to hit.
    I tried a missile loadout, but they avoided the missiles easier than my regular fire.

I have to assume that mining or trading is MUCH easier for a starting player to make cash.

Very much so.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fuck. This. Shit.

I bought a new ship two nights ago for 400K. I spent the rest on trade goods. Unfortunately the ship has terrible turning and I crash it into the planet I bought it from.

Tonight to make money back I spent 2 hours mining and fighting Xeno fighters in Colorado. I filled my hold up with 183K worth of silver and 64K worth of pilots. I then set out to New Tokyo and Shikoku to sell them.

And I get killed by horrifically overpowered attack ships 2 seconds away form a trade gate. I had no batteries or bots because I started with no cash at all. They kill me within 3 seconds.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    ilmmad wrote: »
    Fuck. This. Shit.

I bought a new ship two nights ago for 400K. I spent the rest on trade goods. Unfortunately the ship has terrible turning and I crash it into the planet I bought it from.

Tonight to make money back I spent 2 hours mining and fighting Xeno fighters in Colorado. I filled my hold up with 183K worth of silver and 64K worth of pilots. I then set out to New Tokyo and Shikoku to sell them.

And I get killed by horrifically overpowered attack ships 2 seconds away form a trade gate. I had no batteries or bots because I started with no cash at all. They kill me within 3 seconds.

Yeah....why didn't you just take the silver to california?

Also, not to be a dick, but how did you hit a planet? I fly a gunboat and I've never hit anything.
    Even if you accidently were turning into it, just hit your reverse engine key, its almost a instant stop in any ship.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Morkath wrote: »
    ilmmad wrote: »
    Fuck. This. Shit.

Yeah....why didn't you just take the silver to california?

Also, not to be a dick, but how did you hit a planet? I fly a gunboat and I've never hit anything.
    Even if you accidently were turning into it, just hit your reverse engine key, its almost a instant stop in any ship.

I've never been to California, but the prices were $800 per silver in New Tokyo. Plus, the pilots I had were worth the most in Shikoku, which is the system before New Tokyo. And it's a route I've taken many times, so I thought it would be safe.

I hit the planet because I didn't think I would until I did. I had 10 seconds of experience in the X-Shuttle before crashing.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hear that what Planet Pittsburgh lacks in class, it more than makes up for in cheap drinks.

Greenleaf on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It's a bit disappointing to see that carrying pirate faction pilots in your cargo hold is a capital offense.
    It should be obvious to the military that you've just shot down 15 fighters, and now are turning the pilots into the authorities.

If a battleship wants to pay me $4k per pilot, they shouldn't also want to blow me out of the stars if they detect the pilots in my hold as i'm docking.

It's like taking shots at the pizza delivery boy as he tries to make it to your house, but giving him a $50 tip if he actually makes it to your door alive.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, they want the pilots... they just don't want to pay you for them you see.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It is super easy to evade people trying to steal your cargo, anyways. You just don't close the window to drop cargo (i.e. don't click cancel or the 'X' to close the window) and either dock with a trade lane or Shift-W yourself the hell out of there.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    And don't autopilot dock. Fly close to the docking port and hit F3 at about 50-100m. I call it "pirate docking/jumping" and use it with trade lanes, jump gates, planets: everything. Unless I am feeling lazy. Heck, you can do an instant jump that way with jump holes.

delroland on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    And don't autopilot dock. Fly close to the docking port and hit F3 at about 50-100m. I call it "pirate docking/jumping" and use it with trade lanes, jump gates, planets: everything. Unless I am feeling lazy. Heck, you can do an instant jump that way with jump holes.

it's fun to do this at planets and avoid the line that forms sometimes

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    hey, is there a way for me to get out of a system without dying if I can't find the jump hole? Im in an "unknown system" near the kusari section of the universe map, the map is apparently useless here and I can't find the jump hole I came in on due to the borked map. If I can't get out somehow I need someone to come in and find me D:

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    if you've visited the jumpgate you should be able to select it in your targeting window. just select a different group than "!" and it should be listed with all the other stations and whatnot you visited in the system.

If it's not there I dunno really.

I think there's maps of all the systems on the mod page or through a link there. Maybe find your system and work it out.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    hey, is there a way for me to get out of a system without dying if I can't find the jump hole? Im in an "unknown system" near the kusari section of the universe map, the map is apparently useless here and I can't find the jump hole I came in on due to the borked map. If I can't get out somehow I need someone to come in and find me D:

I use this:

http://ds.fa-matz.de/

It'll pull up the data on any system you're in, and since it works off the game's files (not a preset database) it'll even read and display info on the systems added by the discovery mod.

Don't undock without it.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I don't know, Im torn between finding my way out on my own or using this and taking the fun out of exploration, ah well maybe just this one time.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I completely agree with the pilots thing, but the scanning has never been a true problem.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif