As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Official Cosplay (and Cool Gear) Thread <3

LyanthLyanth Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
Everyone looked AWESOME! It was a great show by all and I can't wait to see what people come up with for next year!

It may be a little late, but Congrats again to all that entered in the PAA, and to Courtney M. for the winning entry!

Also, feel free to post photos, just keep em small (no more than three or four to a post) or as a link!

WELCOME!

Wanting in on the Cosplay at PAX? You've found the right place! Interested for info about the PAA Costume Contest? Check the FAQ at the bottom! I have a special section just for you!

As for the rest of you fabric junkies, read on! All the info you need for your cosplaying adventures at PAX are below. Want to get your info listed here or updated? USING THE APPROPRIATE FORMAT BELOW get your info to me by posting on this thread or PMing me! You must get the info to me by 11am (PAX local time) on Thursday (8/28/08) in the FORMAT, otherwise I will ignore it or miss it! Sorry, but you have been warned. I've got a costume to finish, ya'know.

CONFIRMED COSPLAYERS
Forumers that have stated that they are, 100% for sure, wearing something cool at PAX. That goes for full-length Cosplay to Metroid hats to, um, whatever you can wear on your person that qualifies as cool.
Format
Forumer Name
Costume: Name of Costume (days/times worn)
Events: (Special times to look for that costume)
(Repeat for multiple items/costumes)
Notes: (anything else that needs to be noted)

Feel free to include a link to a photo refrence or your Cosplay.com (or other Cosplay site) account. I WILL NOT be checking up on these to alter your status. Either PM me or post on the thread to update.
Cosplayers [38?]
Lyanth
Costume: Zerosuit Samus (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Events: All weekend unless I pass out from heat exhustion.
Costume: Evey Hammond
Events: Pre-PAX Dinner
Status: 100% complete! (except I need to get my head re-shaved before PAX)
Costume: Signed by G&T Luminous Vestment (evenings only)
Events: Concerts, Pre-PAX Dinner
Notes: Partaking in Assassins, The PAX Button Exchange, and the Pre-PAX Breakfast
Coldbrew
Costume: Fruitfucker (???)
manaleak34
Costume: Travis Touchdown(No More Heroes) (All of Saturday, Sunday until about 4pm)
Events: Will be at one of the Gabe and Tycho G&As, The Wizard screening, concerts, and just hanging out.
Notes: Beam Sword should be in attendence!
NefariousJoe
Costume: Phoenix Wright (whenever I have time. Probably Saturday)
Events: I'll be busy doing AV stuff, running around a bunch. Most of my time will be in one of the Sat Theaters. So that'll be the best bet.
Notes: I really don't know if I'll have the opportunity. Just know that the costume is coming with me, and I WILL try to work it in.
Eyes5
Costume: Metroid Hat and Mr. Saturn hat (All three days)
Events: Mario Kart Wii tournament. (There is a MKWii tourney, isn't there? I'm not sure where to find info on the tournies...)
Lyanth's Friend (Piper)
Costume: Franziska von Karma (Sat)
Events: Undecided
dyaballikl
He made a good effort, and for him, there is always next year. Three cheers for Dya and his fearlessness in the face of fabric. I salute you.
Whytmage
Costume: Mario (Fri)
Costume: Roxas (Sat/Sun)
Notes: Buttoneer, Assassin, and Pre-PAX Seattlite Luncheon Planner
Goddessofkats
Costume: HarleyQuinn (Saturday all day)
Events: (Expo hall)
Notes: Very tight PVC outfit.
Costume: Birdgirl (Sunday)
Events: (Expo hall all day)
Notes: This is the daughter of Stebbins in Harvey Birdman Attourney at Law
Liger
Costume: Stealth Ninja Pirate - I'll be working most of PAX, so I'll probably have the hat on a lot.
Events: really, any time.
Notes: see my avatar. imagine that without the blue, give it a girlish figure and write ENFORCER on the back. Bam!
Costume: Starbuck
Current costume status: Done!
MaoChan
Costume: Cooking Mama Culinary School Jacket
Events: Any time.
Status: Design is done, need to go to Michael's for supplies.
Notes: As a huge cook and an even bigger Cooking Mama fan, her legions must be represented at PAX. Do not mind, I help for you.
ElectricTurtle
Costume: cheongsams/changshans
Jonney Nero's friend
Costume: KILT!
Qs23
Costume: Waldo (or Wally for the brits)
Events: At least one of the days, maybe more (depending on the smell of the shirt after the first day - I sweat alot)
VThornheart
Costume: Janky-stylin' Wrex (with Cardboard mask)
Events: Pre-PAX Dinner, Magical Mystery Tour (if possible), Cookie Brigade, Pre-PAX Breakfast
Notes: The original costume from the BioWare contest! =)
CaptainTapole
Costume: It's not a costume, per say, but it will be that weirdo-looking Harajuku/Decora wannabe that is seen in the Mug-Shot thread.
Events: All day Saturday.
Status: Completed and have seriously more random and inane accessories than needed.
Notes: Will be doing the Button Swap--Fellow Buttoneer right here.
Small Side-Note. I will have a Frog Back-Pack on. And yes, it does have a tadpole as its zipper-thingie. AND! There will be a DS bag opposite side of Disney Toki-Doki-looking bag.
Forumer Name: Recruit (says Officer, Tube changed it)
Costume: Tycho Erasmus Brahe (From Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness)
Events: Friday or Saturday, one or the other, all day.
Notes: The costume is the sweet brown vest and knickers with black wingtip shoes, black tie and white button down shirt he wears in the game. I have every piece gathered and prepared, even have black socks to go with it.
JonnyNero
Costume: A pet Dragon on shoulder
Notes: This will be the reward for the assassin that kill JonnyNero, so it'll move shoulders at point during PAX.
Kryptara
Costume: Lara Croft (Saturday during the day)
Events: During the day; before dinner.
Zephyril
Costume: Pit from SSBB
Times Worn: throughout the weekend.
laurel -supplies gathered
Jewel-90%
Toga- supples gathered
Tank and shorts - 100%
Bow/blades-100%
bracers/shin guards- Supples gathered
glove - 60%
wings-60% (feathers arrive tomorrow or Wednesday!)
Jambnine
Costume: Carl, Deep Crow Exterminator
Notes: PIMP
Queen Brewer
Costume: Scout Class from TF2 (never worn)
Events: Probably every day, maybe with variation.
Notes: I'll probably go Blue one day, Red another. This is a pretty easy cosplay, I chose it for that and because it fits my body well, which is probably the biggest mistake many cosplayers make, not the right character for their body type.
Artifice
Costume: manpeach (all weekend?) maybe not saturday....
Events: I play smash bros?
Notes: yeee
Contrefait
Costume: Twisp
Notes: I've got the suit. They did not have a three piece that looked decent on me. But my mom was nice enough to use her sewing skills to make me a vest. Pictures forth coming.
Houn
Costume: Generic Black Reaper NPC
Events: All weekend, unless it's too hot to wear a hoodie.
Runwiled
Costume: Naked Snake from MGS3. I should be wearing it for the first couple of days and then go casual on Sunday, depending on how hot or annoying I find the suit.
Events: Any socials around the first couple of days, I will be in costume, because presumably people will only want to hang out with me because I look like Snake. I wasn't planning on doing any of the "PRE" events due to the time of my flight, but I'm up for anything impromptu or maybe a later bar crawl.
Status: 95% complete. I'm having trouble with the comm system, in particular the 'jack' box that Snake wears on his harness strap. It looks like a transmitting radio unit, but I don't think it's a real piece of kit. Any help let me know guys,
Notes: I could do with some help on a couple of things. Firstly, I'd like to know a place downtown near the convention center I can pick up some cigars. I like to smoke them and Snake smokes them too, so it'll be neat to get my hands on some. Secondly, I'm totally up for walking around in a box for lulz, so if anyone knows a place I can score a huge box, I'd totally be up for that too.
AznTranquility
Costume: Yuffie Kisaragi [Advent Children/Final Fantasy VII]
Events: Not sure...probably be running around checking out various things and finding more FF-cosplayers.
Status: 100%? I'm sewing a new jacket, shorts, and converse boots for her...if I don't finish by PAX I can use the old outfit...
Notes: Remaking old outfit b/c it was my first cosplay and some of the colors are off. Also not sure if my weapon is allowed...it's made mainly out of foamboard and lots of hotglue. If worse comes to worse, I'll just stash it in my car!
BrokenAngel
Costume: Moogle (Not sure what day, probably Saturday)
Events: (None, I just wander, except at the omegathon events, but we have to wear the special shirt during those )
JThrockmorton206
Costume: Pirate (Friday-Sunday)
Events: Will be at the concerts and probably wasting a bunch of time in the Exhibition Room.
Status: 99% Finished. I have plenty of gear and have been a Pax Pirate for the past two years, but still am yet to own a proper hat.
Notes: Ninjas ye' be warned...
Matev
Costume: The Joker (A la Messr Ledger as other versions would take too much time to throw together) And yes, it's the Joker, he's all about fun and games.
Events: Round the clock, Uncle Joker will be around to provide laughs to PAX
Notes: What? The Joker is a past and future video game character (Look up Eidos' Arkham Asylum and tell me you do not want that). Will slide in and out of character on a whim. Should be with some other clowns including a DK-ized Harley. Photos and videos are always welcome, we'll want to leave you with a smile.
oyasumidesu
wig : OBTAINED (requires styling)
shirt:: 75% done
skirt::10% I have all materials
(this is turning out VERY well [proud] me and RAZ shall storm the halls!!!!!)
(should have pics up soon)
and btw, hancock fabrics has BLOCKS OF uhpholstery foam, I managed to make This out of it (and paint, and interfacing, and a handle from lowes..or was it home depot...)(me at sakura con, the hammer is what I was referring to)
Fall
Costume: Fatal1ty
Events: PC/BYOC Tournaments
Status: 92% - Practicing victory speeches and PG-13 smacktalk
Notes: Will be signing autographs for the fans
angelkatie9
Costume: Tycho Brahe (Rain Slick Edition!)
Events: All day Saturday
Notes: I might the only girl Tycho running around so I should be easy to spot. I will have the tommy gun and book with me, as well!
RaijinFengeki
Costume: Jonathan Gabriel
Events: Saturday
Notes: Nothing really, but it's a pretty easy costume!
Mary Day (no forum name)
Costume: Anne Claire
Events: Saturday
Notes: Anne-Claire will possibly be accompanied by Fuschia
FallenEverdark
Costume: Pirate Captain of the PAX Raven, w/ steampunk flavor. I will be wearing it all weekend, in variations.
Events: I am the theatre manager for Raven Theatre, as such I will be there pretty much at all times, so if you want to see me, thats where to go.
Notes: I will also likely have my ABJD with me, in a steampunk costume on Friday, possibly other days seeing how Friday goes, but due to the nature of my doll, it will be likely she's only around on Friday. So if you would like to see a hoofed/horned doll in steampunk attire, swing by Friday.
mentok1982
Costume: Dr. Feelgood (Friday)
Events: Pre-Pax Breakfast, PAX line on Friday
Notes: When I am in character I will ask people (when they are not playing) about their drug and violence habits.
I have a real stethoschope and if you want try it out, I will have sanitary wipes to clean the ear pieces.
Forumer Name: Mochigo
Costume: Black and White Alice and Wonderland Lolita Dress (not really a costume, but "over the top" clothing) or a Neko maid (which I think might be a little too much) ((Not sure which day I am coming))
Events: I want to go find the Aion Tower of Eternity booth, but otherwise I don't have any set plans...
Lolita- 80% --still need to order shoes, bloomers, and maybe different headpiece (I don't like the little hat it came with)
Neko maid- 75% --still need shoes, bloomers, and possibly a tail (since I already have the cat ear maid tiara)(note: I will ultimately be using the same shoes/bloomers for both costumes though)
Notes: I am not coming to PAX for certain, and I still don't know what day and times I shall be there if I do manage to go, let alone whether I would actually dress up at all or not, so please but me on the thinking about it list.
Dyrwen66
Costume: Joker, friday, maybe saturday.
Events: I'll probably be at the Exhibition halls each morning.
Status: About 90%. I've got a 50$ suit off Amazon that's almost the right color purple. I'll use those pants, maybe the jacket. Otherwise I've got a blue collared shirt, a green vest, and a tie. No gloves so far. Might manage to turn my hair into the right look with some gel, but it won't be blond-ish at all. Depending on the make-up quality I might still be wearing my glasses.
Notes: Amazon.com used sections were used for all my gear. Including my wife's mask/hat.
Millislim (real name Adriana)
Costume: Anne-Claire from RSPD
Events: Friday for sure...everyday depending on reception received
Notes: this costume made especially for contest
Costume: Female Medic from TF2
Events: TF2 tournament and whenever I feel like it
Notes: will have glowing medigun; red team
Costume: Prince of Cosmos
Events: whenever
Notes: true to scale prince costume; will wear at least once if i can get it to seattle from sacramento
Nightingale
Costume: Summoner Yuna (FFX) Saturday (possibly other days)
Events: BYOC
Status: 90% It is recognizable but due to several years in storage, it requires touch-ups
Notes: I wore this in Bellevue for PAX 2005. I unfortunately was not able to complete my costume of choice for PAX 2008.
chicazul
Costume: PAA Gabriel
Events: Saturday, wandering around
Status: 90% - need to buy shoes, fix suspenders, practice posing
Panopea
Costume: Gum (Jet Grind Radio) (will probably wear friday only)
Events: none planned.
Notes: Thanks to my friend who also made it possible for me to attend PAX, I have LEDs in the jets of my skates! I hope to not be dodging con staff when wearing this one.
Costume: Elizabeth (Persona 3) (saturday and sunday, all day)
Events: none planned
Notes: I have several requests that need completing. If you see me, be sure to ask about them; I'll be handing out prizes to those who complete them!
Farout Foolio and his Girlfriend
Costume: Mario and Princess Rosalina
Events: Varied
And I know people posted in the old thread about what costumes they were considering, but I’d like people to repost here to confirm their Cosplay plans. Thanks!

COSPLAYERS IN NEED
Those that are interested in doing the above, but are looking for help in some way. This means they are looking for a person to join their group, looking for help with making a costume piece, etc. PLEASE CHECK THE FAQ BEFORE ASKING ABOUT HOW TO MAKE SOMETHING! Thanks ^^
Format
Forumer Name
Looking For: (Item/person they need)
Need by: (date)
Contact Info: (Infoz)
Cosplayers

S2000Gan
Looking For: Long black hair wig, black gloves, black cape
Need by: Soon would be good...
Contact Info: peter.gan@comcast.net

JUST THINKING ABOUT IT
Those that are interested in doing the above as well, but have not confirmed anything. Please post to the thread or PM me if you would like your status here changed!

Cosplayers [18]
Ardor
Awaxx
Aydr's peeps
Cadrys
cj iwakura
Farout Foolio
Hammy
Imperfect
Jaydo
Kwisatz Haderach
MasterHelios
Matev
Oz K. Fodrotski
Pasty
Petesalzl
Snapty
super...
Twinkie
wtnuke
PROP WEAPONS MINI-FAQ
Can I bring a weapon to PAX?

NO. DO NOT, under any circumstances, bring a weapon to PAX. As it has been discussed at the old thread, Washington State law says (roughly) that if someone feel threatened by an item, it is a weapon. Vauge, I know. But we're all smart enough to know that bringing an actual weapon to PAX is a really bad idea. No real guns, sharp swords, etc. So if its real, it is just better to LEAVE IT AT HOME.

Can I bring a prop/fake weapon to PAX?

Potentially. A good rule of thumb is that the more fake it looks, the safer it is to bring to PAX. Paper mache, pvc pipe, and foam can all be good prop weapon materials. Also, here are some good guidelines when thinking about bringing an prop to PAX:

- No sharp edges. If it can cut/peirce the any part of a cucumber, it's too sharp.
- No pointy parts. It has to be about the same dullness as the corner of your keyboard.
- No projectiles. If it can be shot, thrown, or otherwise launched into the air, no. Just no.
- No really big things. If you can't carry it around for 25 minutes or its too large to fit though a 8ft x 3ft doorway, it's not a good idea.
- No replicas. If it looks exactly like a weapon, most people will think it is one.

Can I bring a projectile prop weapon to PAX?

No. The Enforcers don't like anything that goes through the air. If you outfit demands that you have some form of projectile, attach it to your belt and leave it at that.

Can I pose with others with my prop weapon at PAX?

Ask the person you are posing with. Don't just randomly wave your prop at people. Because, 1) They might feel threatened and then your prop is a weapon, and 2) you could actually hit someone or hurt a bystander. Be aware of your surroundings when you pose (don't stop in the middle of a busy hallway), and make sure you work with the people around you to be safe and make for a cool picture.
FAQ FOR EVERYTHING ELSE
The land of Questions and maybe even a few answers!

Should I wear a Costume/Cosplay to PAX?

If you feel comfortable, sure! At PAX, not a large precent of the population is into "Cosplaying", but they do appreciate a well put together costume relating to something video gamery or Penny Arcadish. But not matter what you wear, garunteed you will not be thrown out nor heckled. PAX just isn't that kind of town. Unless you are a surly peach man.

Can I take a picture/hug a Cosplayer?

It depends. Always ask, as each Cosplayer/person is different. For the most part, if you are polite and don’t just jump on them, they’re pretty cool about it.

I want to Cosplay, but I have no idea on how to get started. Help?

First, pick a character or outfit you want to do. Make sure to consider pricing for materials, time for construction, and transportation to and from PAX. If you are doing a character from a popular series, you may be able to buy the entire Cosplay online or find a good tutorial and patterns. Here are some good links for those of you just starting out.

http://cosplay.com/
http://www.katiebair.com/wigs.html
http://405th.com/forums/index.php
http://www.cosplaymagic.com/ (Thanks Coldbrew!)
http://mypaxblog.wordpress.com/2008/...ayer-meet-kat/ (An interview with previous PAX Cosplayer Goddessofkats courtesy of Avid)
http://www.fabricspraypaint.com/ (Thanks Houn!)
http://www.neitherhipnorfunky.com/?p=106 (Tutorial on how to make CHEAP fabric stencils. Thanks Houn/Houn's wife!)

I’ll add more as I can. If any of you have other good sources, let me know. Thanks ^^

How much or how little should I wear to PAX?

PAX is all ages, so PLEASE keep all of your privates COVERED! If you are unsure, think about how your mother would react if she saw you! (there is going to be quite a few mothers there, actually) If your mom would approve, you should be good.
However, don't wear too much! PAX is in the middle of summer at probably the hottest time in Seattle. And there will be 50,000 people crammed into the whole building. Its going to get warm inside even with the air conditioning. If you are wearing more than a tee-shirt and pants, please keep yourself well hydrated and take breaks from the more densely packed areas of PAX. If possible, make parts of your costume removable (like a wig, shoes, gloves, etc.) so you can cool off easily. But remember, stay hydrated and you should do okay.

So I hear there's this cosplay contest going on? What's up with that?

Yes there is! However, it's for Penny Arcade Adventures related cosplay only! Info inside the spoiler! Good luck to those competing!
PAA Contest
Hothead, Penny Arcade and HP are running a contest for people dressed as characters from On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness, details in spoiler or you can check out the details at http://www.rainslick.com/contests
Contest Summary
Dress as your favorite character from "Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One" and come to the Hothead Games booth (#1114) at PAX August 29-31, 2008 for your chance to win! The judges will select a grand prize winner to receive a $3,000 HP store credit to custom-build his/her own HP Blackbird gaming rig, "Precipice of Darkness" edition. Plus, the first three fans to arrive at the booth in costume each day will win a Collector's Edition of the game (also available for sale at the show). Get your photograph taken in costume and posted in the forums for fame and fortune! - Well, fame at least.

“Plain English” Contest Details
• PAX attendees can arrive at the Hothead booth in costume on Friday, Saturday or Sunday to enter to win; one entry per person. The first 3 costumed participants to arrive at the booth each day will automatically receive a Collector’s Edition of “Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One.” Later arrivals interested in the Collector’s Edition can still purchase it for $40 at the Hothead booth (#1114) and the Penny Arcade Merchandise booth (#452).

• Receiving one of the daily prizes does not exclude an attendee from entering for the HP Blackbird grand prize; however, only one daily prize per participant.

• One Hothead Games staff member at the booth will be designated to handle all entrants (take pictures, control entry forms, verify costumes). S/he will be dressed in 1920s regalia to be easily identified in the crowd.

• The HP Blackbird case customization includes the game logo, the in-game Gabe and Tycho characters and other visual effects to make it the "Precipice of Darkness" edition.

• Entrants will be judged by a selected team of Hothead employees on originality and style of costume, quality of material, and accuracy of representation relative to the video game “Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One.”

• The winner will be announced at the Hothead PAX Booth at 5pm PT on Sunday, August 31; attendees do not need to be present to win. Open to residents of US and Canada only.

• Selected costumes will be displayed in the forums for community viewing.

How to Enter

To enter, visit the Hothead Games Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) booth during regular Exhibit Hall hours August 29 -31, 2008 dressed as a character from the video game “Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One,” get your picture taken in costume and complete the entry form available there. To be eligible, entries must be completed and received on or by 4:01pm PT Sunday, August 31, 2008. Incomplete entries will be disqualified. All entries shall become the property of Hothead Games, Inc. Entries received by telephone, fax or email will not be accepted.

You may also email any question you have to : contests [at] hotheadgames.com
You haven't updated my Cosplay status even though I posted on the thread two pages ago!

I'm a busy girl! My life has taken a turn in such a way that I'm limiting myself to only a few check-ups a week. If you want to make sure I update you in the OP, PM me using the appropriet format above.

Is there anything else I should know?

Yes! PM Avid if you would like him to interview you about you Cosplaying/Costuming exprience at PAX! He's keeping a PAX Blog from the looks of things, and has offered to interview people. Thanks Avid!

[SIGPIC]I'm not backing down[/SIGPIC]
Lyanth on

• Options
    WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would LOVE to find an Awesome X costume for at least one of the days...

I wil be looking, but if anyone offhand sees one, send me a message!

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Whytmage wrote: »
    I would LOVE to find an Awesome X costume for at least one of the days...

I wil be looking, but if anyone offhand sees one, send me a message!

kk, I'll put you on the list

Lyanth on
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I should be on that list...

Edit: er...

Something steampunk. Possible more. And I am trying to work out which events I'll be attending...

Twinkie on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    done and done

Lyanth on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There's a cosplay site I've been looking at for a while and getting ideas from, they are constantly getting new outfits as well.

http://www.cosplaymagic.com/

Go ahead and add that to your list if you desire. :D

Oh, and yes I am still hoping to do the Fruit Fucker costume, with at least one of my buddies, but I'm not sure if it's going to happen. If I can find an affordable solution on how to do it, I'll look into it, but other then that, I'm short on moneys. >_<

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    There's a cosplay site I've been looking at for a while and getting ideas from, they are constantly getting new outfits as well.

http://www.cosplaymagic.com/

Go ahead and add that to your list if you desire. :D

Oh, and yes I am still hoping to do the Fruit Fucker costume, with at least one of my buddies, but I'm not sure if it's going to happen. If I can find an affordable solution on how to do it, I'll look into it, but other then that, I'm short on moneys. >_<

Ohhh thank you! added it to the list.

And maybe you should see if you can get your hands on a cardboard refrigerator box and some silver spray paint and go to town.

Lyanth on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lyanth wrote: »
    Ohhh thank you! added it to the list.

And maybe you should see if you can get your hands on a cardboard refrigerator box and some silver spray paint and go to town.

Hmm... The cardboard refrigerator box would be easy, i work in a best buy warehouse. Only problem is that it's square... But I think I could fix that.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I'm pretty sure at this point I will be rocking a Travis Touchdown costume from No More Heroes, most likely just Saturday and maybe some of Sunday. I'm also planning on wearing this at San-Diego Comic-Con so it's about 75% finished I would say.

Official stuff
    manaleak34
    Costume: Travis Touchdown(No More Heroes) (All of Saturday, Sunday until about 4pm)
    Events: Will be at one of the Gabe and Tycho G&As, The Wizard screening, concerts, and just hanging out.
    (Still need the actual beam and paint to modify the jacket.)
    Notes: Looks like I'm making the sword after all.

UPDATE 7/12/08: Most of the parts for the beam sword have been obtained at good old home depot. For the beam itself I'm checking out TAP plastic with their Acrylic Rods(I really don't think I can pull off a lighting set-up) Clothing parts have all been obtained including transfer paper for the custom shirt and cloth to make a wrist band. For the most part I just need to put it all together and also figure out what TSA says about bringing something like this on a plane. :|

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Unless theres some exceptions for Lightsaber-like weapons...

Something like the beam sword shouldn't be a problem. Somebody was walking around with a "light saber" the entire time last year. Oh, and good choice of costume. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    AvidAvid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey folks I just did an interview with Kat the Guitar Hero cosplayer from PAX last year.
    She has some interesting tips and stories to share.

Check out the interview here:
    http://mypaxblog.wordpress.com/2008/07/12/interview-with-a-pax-cosplayer-meet-kat/

If any of you PAX 07 cosplayers want to be interviewed on the blog, send me a PM. Thanks alot.

Avid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Unless theres some exceptions for Lightsaber-like weapons...

Something like the beam sword shouldn't be a problem. Somebody was walking around with a "light saber" the entire time last year. Oh, and good choice of costume. :D

Okay, so I altered the OP a bit now. I had forgotten to add the part where obviously fake weaponry is okay. That, and I really don't want anyone getting in trouble for bringing something and then pointing to me and saying "well, she said it was okay". But yes, you should be able to bring a lightsaber-ish prop to PAX and not get arrested.

And dude, i'm gonna want pics of the that pimpin' costume! :winky:
    Avid wrote: »
    Hey folks I just did an interview with Kat the Guitar Hero cosplayer from PAX last year.

http://mypaxblog.wordpress.com/2008/07/12/interview-with-a-pax-cosplayer-meet-kat/

If any of you PAX 07 cosplayers want to be interviewed on the blog, send me a PM. Thanks alot.

Deffinently. Thanks for the link!

Lyanth on
  • Options
    NefariousJoeNefariousJoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    NefariousJoe
    Costume: Phoenix Wright (whenever I have time. Probably Saturday)
    Events: I'll be busy doing AV stuff, running around a bunch. Most of my time will be in one of the Sat Theaters. So that'll be the best bet.

Notes: I really don't know if I'll have the opportunity. Just know that the costume is coming with me, and I WILL try to work it in.

Here's how it came out last year.
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/pigma_micron/phoenix.png

NefariousJoe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Awesome! I think I saw you around last year. It'll be good to have you back ^^

Lyanth on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't think I'll be bringing any of my cosplays to PAX, but I know a bunch of my friends who are coming this yer plan on cosplaying.

Aydr on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Okay, good to know. Lemme know if plans change ^^b

Lyanth on
  • Options
    Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll be alternating between the Metroid hat and a Mr. Saturn hat.

Costume: Metroid Hat and Mr. Saturn hat (All three days)
    Events: Mario Kart Wii tournament. (There is a MKWii tourney, isn't there? I'm not sure where to find info on the tournies...)

Eyes5 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hehe awesome! we'll have to get a photo together! ;)

Lyanth on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mr Saturn hat?

That is amazing, and awesome.

YES.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The Flickr link in that interview just links to the front page. Also, I was the original NOD cosplayer last year (2 other guys saw it on the forums and we teamed up at PAX). I'll do an interview if you want.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    HotSake wrote: »

The Flickr link in that interview just links to the front page. Also, I was the original NOD cosplayer last year (2 other guys saw it on the forums and we teamed up at PAX). I'll do an interview if you want.

coolios! just make sure to PM him. I don't know how often he'll be checking the thread.

Lyanth on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Forumer Name: dyaballikl
    Costume: Cardboard Tube Samurai (Friday, maybe Saturday/all day)
    Events: Everywhere around PAX
    Notes: This will be my first time cosplaying, but I'm going into it 100%. I'm making the costume from scratch, I spent a lot of time studying pics of new and old CTS, and I hope to make an awesome and accurate 'stume.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Forumer Name: dyaballikl
    Costume: Cardboard Tube Samurai (Friday, maybe Saturday/all day)
    Events: Everywhere around PAX
    Notes: This will be my first time cosplaying, but I'm going into it 100%. I'm making the costume from scratch, I spent a lot of time studying pics of new and old CTS, and I hope to make an awesome and accurate 'stume.

added! good luck with that /cheers

Lyanth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I also forgot to mention, Saturday,the SO and I will likely be Cosplaying as Mario and Luigi. Those outfits are at 100%. :D If i can't get the Awesome X or Neku outfit together, I can fall back on that.

Name: Whytmage
    Costume: Mario
    Events: All saturday and maybe Sunday
    Notes: Backup if the other costumes don't materialize.

Whytmage on
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    added! would you like me to put down info for your friend as well?

Lyanth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Um, the SO isn't on the forums, and I still have to convince him to do it.. Last year he didn't (and it would have been effing epic since the dude dressed as Peach was there...))

Let me check and we'll see if he's down.

Whytmage on
  • Options
    AvidAvid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    HotSake wrote: »

Thanks man, should be fixed now.
    Ill hit you up soon potentially, got a lot of things lined up I have to get out of the way first.

Avid on
  • Options
    goddessofkatsgoddessofkats Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey! Obviously I'm cosplaying, two different costumes for Saturday and Sunday as I mentioned in my interview.
    The flickr link should take you to my account, or you can go to flickr and find kamde's album, which has all my rad pictures in it.
    I'm so excited to see all of you!!!!

Also - anyone in Seattle know of good place to get non-smear marky white face paint? or where to get jester shoes?

goddessofkats on
    Kat ^..^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hey! Obviously I'm cosplaying, two different costumes for Saturday and Sunday as I mentioned in my interview.
    The flickr link should take you to my account, or you can go to flickr and find kamde's album, which has all my rad pictures in it.
    I'm so excited to see all of you!!!!

Also - anyone in Seattle know of good place to get non-smear marky white face paint? or where to get jester shoes?

Added!

hmmm... not to my knowledge. check online if you can, and if not, go to joann's. it's off season, but they should have halloween costume patterns.

Lyanth on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    name: Liger
    Costume: Stealth Ninja Pirate - I'll be working most of PAX, so I'll probably have the hat on a lot.
    Notes: see my avatar. imagine that without the blue, give it a girlish figure and write ENFORCER on the back. Bam!

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    name: Liger

You're cosplaying bunny comics? Awesome!

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    name: MaoChan
    Notes: As a huge cook and an even bigger Cooking Mama fan, her legions must be represented at PAX. Do not mind, I help for you.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MaoChan wrote: »
    name: MaoChan

You post reminds me, have you ever seen the anime Chūka Ichiban (AKA Cooking Master Boy)? It's 52 episodes of shonen combat cooking. Really an original concept and execution I thought. Somebody has put them all on youtube (even dubbed in Catonese for that extra authenticity, given most of the series takes place in southeastern China). You should look them up.

Lyanth: As for my status, I think I'm ultimately not going to going to be doing any specific cosplay this year. I will be wearing a myriad of different silk or cotton cheongsams/changshans but that is all.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay, so i'm not sure what to put this as...because my roommate and I aren't sure what's going on as far as dress.

My roomate is definitely wearing a kilt, one day. But in the middle of shooting the latest episode for our video series, he was paying homage to "The Dude" and is thinking about cosplaying as the Dude for PAX.

And if I could find a trenchcoat...well...I'll let post 494 on, in this thread explain the rest

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You post reminds me, have you ever seen the anime Chūka Ichiban (AKA Cooking Master Boy)? It's 52 episodes of shonen combat cooking. Really an original concept and execution I thought. Somebody has put them all on youtube (even dubbed in Catonese for that extra authenticity, given most of the series takes place in southeastern China). You should look them up.

I have seen it all. It was amazingly terribly great in all aspects. So over the top. I love it when the taster freaks out and then is transported to the land of the forefathers and the luck dragons.

I am a huge culinary fan hence Food Network HD is on at my place 24/7.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Okies, updated the OP for everyone.

@ET: no worries... that is why this is also the "Cool Gear" thread ;)
    @JN: No probs, I added both of you anyways... and either way, I think that PAX will get rickrolled xD

(Also, "Rickrolled" is a suggestion on Youtube. is that not sad/awesome? Y/N)

Lyanth on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not confirmed!!! unless someone wants to donate a trench coat.

I have no money in my budget, plus I'm using PAX as an excuse to have a mohawk, or something really crazy with my hair. I'm basically going to a hair artist and telling them to go WILD!

So even if by miracle I have a trench coat by PAX time...my hair probably won't be in the right condition

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This might be a tad off-topic, but lets pretend, for a moment, that I had a black hoodie. Now, if I were to want to, say, add some sort of designs to this black hoodie, such as can be seen in this picture:
    black_reaper_example.gif

How would you go about adding that? Sewing the white parts on like patches?

<- Clothing Alteration Newb

(Naturally, I would be wearing this at PAX, and would be a red bandana away from cosplaying... My friend would make fun of me, though. >.> )

Houn on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    an easy and cheap way of doing that would be to find some white craft felt and decent thread, and sew it on. Other fabrics work too, but felt is pretty good for starting out because it holds its shape really well.

Before you sew it on, pin down all the pieces where you want them to be. Takes a lot of guesswork out of what your'e doing later on. :)

You can also get some dark-fabric iron-on transfer paper and print the design from your computer. It varies by brand, so read the directions on the transfer paper package.

With a pattern like that (looks wicked by the way) I'd get started now to make sure it's ready by PAX time. Good luck!

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    @JN: Hahaha, don't you understand the meaning of rickroll? though if it really bothers you that much, i'll change it. this is the last place where'd i'd want to have misunderstandings and making people upset. >.<

@Houn: This is totally the place! Liger has some good tips (I would've suggested them, even). Also, though, since I see that you might have some artistic talents, you could paint the design on. there is white fabric paint, and you'd need a lot of it to really be solid on that dark of a fabric, but if you just lay the fabric flat and go to town, i'm sure you can rock it.
    I was also thinking of suggesting spray paint. make/get a stencil, take everything outside, cover what you want to stay black with newpaper, and have at it. just remember to let it dry outside, otherwise you'll stink up your house.

Lyanth on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lyanth wrote: »
    @JN: Hahaha, don't you understand the meaning of rickroll? though if it really bothers you that much, i'll change it. this is the last place where'd i'd want to have misunderstandings and making people upset. >.<

@Houn: This is totally the place! Liger has some good tips (I would've suggested them, even). Also, though, since I see that you might have some artistic talents, you could paint the design on. there is white fabric paint, and you'd need a lot of it to really be solid on that dark of a fabric, but if you just lay the fabric flat and go to town, i'm sure you can rock it.
    I was also thinking of suggesting spray paint. make/get a stencil, take everything outside, cover what you want to stay black with newpaper, and have at it. just remember to let it dry outside, otherwise you'll stink up your house.

Hmm... How do all these methods hold up through normal wear and washing? I'd definitely want to keep wearing it normally, for that cool factor. Sewing on felt would obviously be as sturdy as the stiching. How about the iron ons, fabric paint, and spray paint? Spray Paint would be easiest, I think...

Houn on
This discussion has been closed.