As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DS Protective Screens

GodmeatGodmeat Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all,

I just bought a DS for me and my wife.

Should we use those screen protectors? We had some of the older ones, and the image always seemed really cloudy.

If you don't use them, does the screen scratch pretty easily?

Godmeat on

• Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ever taken a close look at the screen on a display model DS at Wal-Mart? Without a screen protector, that's what your new DS will look like after a couple of months of casual touchscreen use (playing games like Puzzle Quest or Advance Wars), a couple of hours of Elite Beat Agents, or a couple of minutes of Trauma Centre.

Get the Hori brand ones, not the no-names. They're crystal clear, durable, and there's pretty much no loss of sensitivity. I think I got mine at Target. They'll set you back about $10 each, but they're well worth it. The full pack includes five pieces: one for the touchscreen, one for the top screen, a big one for the top cover, one for the D-pad side, and one for the button side.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Godmeat wrote: »
    Hey all,

I just bought a DS for me and my wife.

Should we use those screen protectors? We had some of the older ones, and the image always seemed really cloudy.

If you don't use them, does the screen scratch pretty easily?

It depends what games you play or plan to play. Anything using extensive touch screen controls at a frantic pace, like Trauma Center or EBA/Ouedan, is more likely to scratch the screen than stuff that use uses the D-pad and buttons. Dust in general on the bare screen can lead to scratches when stylused over.

Hori screen protectors are quite clear and used by many on the forums.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    To be honest, unless you are constantly pounding the screen with your stylus, you won't have too many issues if you decide to not get the screen protectors. If you must, get Hori.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif