As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't Search With Google, Possibly Related to Trojan, Argh!

TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I let my boyfriend use my computer and, surprise surprise, he managed to put a virus on it. I've been having a really difficult time removing the virus, because for some reason, I can no longer search on Google, or load certain websites. I suspect pretty strongly that this is because of the virus, but I don't know, because I don't know how to search for it without using Google or Yahoo or similar sites, all of which don't work. (Google's front page loads but I can't search or do anything with it, Yahoo's page won't even load). I can't get to my Gmail account, I can't search, I can't do anything, and it's infuriating.

Here's the information:
Virus comes up on fully-updated AVG. It's called Generic10. Other files that come up alongside it are ljJCuUop.dll and HPZipm.exe. It makes a ton of copies of rundll32.exe that aren't normally there and which crash Explorer when I ctrl-alt-del them. If I'm online, it pulls up tabs for Fling.com, and even when I'm not online, it slows the computer up massively.

Things I have done:
AVG
AVG in safe mode
Ad-Aware
Ad-Aware in safe mode
Spybot
Spybot in safe mode
Deleted temporary internet files
ESET online scan

Besides murdering my boyfriend, what can I do?

Edit: It's started pulling up this, too: http://www.fubar.com/join_lp1a.php

Trowizilla on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    ... And as we all know, we can't actually advise you to kill your boyfriend here.

I use Avast! antivirus program, so at the very least that's another one to try. I don't know enough about the innards of Windows to help you directly, but I can paste a couple of links that come up on the google seach for "generic10" that I just did. I hope they are of some use. They're pretty much posts on other forums with extensive system-specific answers and guides.

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=32908&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=162916

Some other places say that you should do a system restore to a date before your computer was infected. Some say your only hope is a reformatting (I don't believe that). There are a number of free virus scanners that will do scans online. I don't know how reliable or safe they are.

tldr; I don't know enough about it to be of any specific help, but I can run any search you like while your system is down. :)

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DiggomaniacDiggomaniac Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Have you tried a system restore? I doubt it will help but it's worth a try.

Diggomaniac on
    360 Gamertag - Diggomaniac
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Have you tried a system restore? I doubt it will help but it's worth a try.

As Diggomaniac pointed out, this likely will not help you. If the virus is nasty enough that it hasn't been detected by any of the programs you've used, it will also stick around after a system restore. That said, could you be a bit more specific about what's happening? You mention that you can't search with google, but what happens when you try to search with google? Have you noticed any other strange behavior? What web browser are you using?

Edit: Whoops...I'm an idiot. You're using IE.

Try using Avira Antivir. It is also free and tends to get a lot of stuff that AVG misses. Here is a link.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm using Firefox.

When I try to search with Google, it acts like it's going to load a page, but nothing ever loads and it just hangs there. When I try to pull up some other websites, they do the same thing (act like they're loading with the little loading circle) but never pull up.

The other strange behavior is Firefox pulling up tabs for websites. Mainly it's been for Fling.com, but lately it's trying to get to Fubar.com as well.

Plus, the whole system is running noticably slower.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sounds like a virus or some horrendous spyware. Were you able to load the page I linked you to? I'm guessing you have some internet available to you as you're on the board, so, if need be, burn that program to CD or put it on a pen drive and try it out on your system. If it doesn't work there are definitely more options, this one is just the easiest.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Nevermind, the lovely Ceres and her lovely boyfriend got it all sorted out. Whee!

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    you might want to get "Hijack This!" on your computer to kill browser hijackers in the future.

Use carefully.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say